PDA

View Full Version : 911 call, surveillance video together - Ohio police shooting

Captain Obvious
09-25-2014, 07:57 AM
http://www.whio.com/videos/news/911-call-surveillance-video-together/vCtDnb/

Video is in the link.

Cigar
09-25-2014, 08:02 AM
The Caller has already recanted what he told the operator ...

You just can't believe your lying eyes

BTW .. Sunshine beat you on this yesterday :laugh:

Cigar
09-25-2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.whio.com/videos/news/911-call-surveillance-video-together/vCtDnb/

Video is in the link.

Ironically ... that area of Ohio is an Open Carry Area :rollseyes:

Unless you're a Black Man

exotix
09-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Liar 911 caller changes story

http://www.eurweb.com/2014/09/he-lied-witness-in-walmart-shooting-of-black-man-changes-story/

Feds to investigate after grand jury declines to charge cops

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/charges-cops-shot-dead-man-holding-fake-gun-ohio-walmart-article-1.1951156

Ronald Ritchie

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j4daw3.png

Cigar
09-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Liar 911 caller changes story

http://www.eurweb.com/2014/09/he-lied-witness-in-walmart-shooting-of-black-man-changes-story/

Feds to investigate after grand jury declines to charge cops

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/charges-cops-shot-dead-man-holding-fake-gun-ohio-walmart-article-1.1951156

Ronald Ritchie

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j4daw3.png

Really not a Good Week for The Excuse Makers :laugh:

Quick ... hide it :grin:

The FEDs are going to be all over this one

Cigar
09-25-2014, 08:47 AM
​http://s6.pikabu.ru/images/big_size_comm/2014-08_2/14074975219166.jpg (http://pikabu.ru/story/vse_rebyata_nam_konets_2554488)

Polecat
09-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Ironically ... that area of Ohio is an Open Carry Area :rollseyes:

Unless you're a Black Man

That is a myth. Only the police wear sidearms. Concealed carry is common but I have never seen anyone open carry. While it is legal to do so people are smart enough to know it is an invitation to trouble. Hysterical gunophobes might panic. Frightened police may gun you down. Just don't see it.

Cigar
09-25-2014, 10:24 AM
That is a myth. Only the police wear sidearms. Concealed carry is common but I have never seen anyone open carry. While it is legal to do so people are smart enough to know it is an invitation to trouble. Hysterical gunophobes might panic. Frightened police may gun you down. Just don't see it.

Walmart is one of the Largest Gun Sellers in North America ... what are the chances of someone having a GUN in Walmart :rollseyes:

Peter1469
09-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Go to Texas you will see open carry.

Captain Obvious
09-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Wyoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry_in_the_United_States

I was there some time back doing a job and one of the office guys picked me up from the airport, had 2 pistols on his truck dash. It wasn't uncommon to see firearms in and around town.

Polecat
09-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Go to Texas you will see open carry.

Yeah there are places that it is every day stuff. You will see plenty of civilians wearing sidearms in Indianapolis.

Peter1469
09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I think that the Founders would have frowned on concealed carry.

Cigar
09-25-2014, 11:01 AM

The Polls show, so do most Americans

Peter1469
09-25-2014, 11:37 AM
The Polls show, so do most Americans

Do what? Carry conceal is supported in large parts of the country.

Polecat
09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Out in the open or under your jacket: if all Americans are potentially armed then we are far safer than when only the bad guys carry. And sometimes the bad guys might have a badge.

texan
09-25-2014, 04:02 PM

What do you base this on?

BTW you don't see open carry in Texas, almost ever. Just that group that was running around Fort Worth making headlines about it, ironically because a police officer acted badley that was caught on a dash cam. It was in protest.

Oh and BTW it was white cop white guy, go figure why CEE'gar didn't post the youtube. Maybe because the defendents were not black so there was know racebaiting to be brokered? We know cops only treat black guys badly.

Peter1469
09-25-2014, 04:14 PM
What do you base this on?

BTW you don't see open carry in Texas, almost ever. Just that group that was running around Fort Worth making headlines about it, ironically because a police officer acted badley that was caught on a dash cam. It was in protest.

Oh and BTW it was white cop white guy, go figure why CEE'gar didn't post the youtube. Maybe because the defendents were not black so there was know racebaiting to be brokered? We know cops only treat black guys badly.

Because the 2nd Amendment was crafted around the then current militia acts. The various militia acts remanded completely unchanged by the passage of the Constitution.

Ethereal
09-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Without a doubt this was excessive force, which I would categorize as cold-blooded murder. The "armed" individual wasn't even facing the officers when they shot them, let alone pointing or brandishing the weapon at them. And I didn't see him acting out of the ordinary, just a guy talking on his cellphone while holding a pellet gun.

Ethereal
09-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Turns out, the main witness who called 911 was not a marine at all. He was discharged from the military after seven weeks for "fraudulent enlistment". Fancy that. He lied about his enlistment and about his status as a marine. I guess lying about Crawford to police was like second nature to this pile of human excrement. Ritchie (the fake marine) should be charged with a false report and criminal negligence at the very least. As for the Gestapo agent who shot Crawford, he should be charged with murder.

Ethereal
09-27-2014, 07:15 AM
This from the original thread on the shooting:

Who is demonizing the guy? He scared the other patrons, and when the police showed up he didn't put the gun down when they asked him to. Again it all could have been avoided.

A great example of someone simply making things up in the absence of evidence so as to create blanket justifications for police violence and brutality.

And people wonder why this country is going down the toilet.

Ethereal
09-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Another example of people just making stuff up in order to create blanket justifications for police shootings and brutality, especially when the victim is a black man:

......when officers arrived, they asked Crawford to put down the weapon, and opened fire when he failed to comply.

There seems to be a common thread of young Black men bucking authority figures. Very foolish.

Whether he was Black or White, the actions of the police were justified.

Ethereal
09-27-2014, 07:35 AM
More:

Furthermore, one cannot simply pick up a .177 pellet rifle off the shelf at Walmart and walk around the store with it. They are in a package and locked on the shelf with an alarm

http://youtu.be/S9FtNOV6Qhk

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 07:59 AM
countryboy Redrose

what are your thoughts now having seen video?

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
For all the folks who argued that the cops were in the right, what do you think now?

http://youtu.be/S9FtNOV6Qhk

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/ohio-black-man-killed-by-police-walmart-doubts-cast-witnesss-account

The video proves the 911 caller was full of shit. So the cops on the word of a witness rushed in as you can see and just shot the guy.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Also countryboy Captain Obvious you can see the gun was on the shelf and no one from Walmart walked him out.
momsapplepie as you can see no waving around
Redrose no threats to anyone he was talking and buying dog food, also no time from cops to say hands up

lastly this guy was shot in the back.

Peter1469
09-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Poorly trained cops tend to have itchy trigger fingers.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Did you watch? They just shot him....no talking, just shoot

Peter1469
09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I watched it earlier. Ethereal posted it somewhere else.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Peter1469. U can merge the threads

PolWatch
09-27-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm waiting to hear how the cops had no choice, they were forced to do it by the man's own stupidity, they shoulda called in the SWAT team & armored vehicles and yer all a buncha cop-haters....

http://www.directsmiley.com/cat/11/11_9_12.gif

Peter1469
09-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Notice: threads merged.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm waiting to hear how the cops had no choice, they were forced to do it by the man's own stupidity, they shoulda called in the SWAT team & armored vehicles and yer all a buncha cop-haters....

http://www.directsmiley.com/cat/11/11_9_12.gif

There will be crickets because they're wrong.

Polecat
09-27-2014, 12:50 PM
If you have heard the 911 call then you know that the caller gave the dispatcher a very exaggerated account of what he was seeing. And you can bet that the officers getting this information were sweating adrenalin before they even made it into the store. It was a perfect storm of unfortunate choices made by everybody involved. The only thing left to do at this point is to decide if more over reaction is going to make it all better or not.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 05:34 PM
If you have heard the 911 call then you know that the caller gave the dispatcher a very exaggerated account of what he was seeing. And you can bet that the officers getting this information were sweating adrenalin before they even made it into the store. It was a perfect storm of unfortunate choices made by everybody involved. The only thing left to do at this point is to decide if more over reaction is going to make it all better or not.

That call coupled with the police officers twitchy trigger finger ended an innocent mans life. Any sane person watching would see this was unnecessary.

I don't understand how Ferguson gets the press and not this.

Common Sense
09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
The caller should be up on charges. Either way he'll have to live with the fact that he helped kill an innocent man.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Wondering why the people who said the cops were right are silent?

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Wondering why the people who said the cops were right are silent?

Well they obviously weren't right...they killed an innocent man. Now a Darwin Award recipient for carrying around a gun. But I don't think there was intentional malicious intent.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Well they obviously weren't right...they killed an innocent man. Now a Darwin Award recipient for carrying around a gun. But I don't think there was intentional malicious intent.

It was a store product. Should he leave it on the shelf and use a transporter beam to take it home?

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 06:48 PM
It was a store product. Should he leave it on the shelf and use a transporter beam to take it home?

Well this is one of those cases where the victim holds just a smidgen of responsibility.

They have transporter beams now???

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Well this is one of those cases where the victim holds just a smidgen of responsibility.

How? He's in a store buying a store product. Wouldn't that be Walmarts issue for having them unboxed? How else can you get it to the counter aside from carrying it? I would have done the same.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 06:54 PM
How? He's in a store buying a store product. Wouldn't that be Walmarts issue for having them unboxed? How else can you get it to the counter aside from carrying it? I would have done the same.

Not saying its a huge amount of responsibility.

Did the caller ever explain why he said the guy was pointing the gun?

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Not saying its a huge amount of responsibility.

Did the caller ever explain why he said the guy was pointing the gun?

He's hiding for being a liar pants that got someone killed.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 06:57 PM
He's hiding for being a liar pants that got someone killed.

So I would put more responsibility on his shoulders than the cop's.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 06:59 PM
So I would put more responsibility on his shoulders than the cop's.

Of course, because good cops don't assess situations they go off tips and shoot people.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Of course, because good cops don't assess situations they go off tips and shoot people.

Freakin thing looks like a gun mang!

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 07:45 PM

In a store that sells them and if you look at his demeanor it's casual, not crazy gunman.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 07:57 PM
In a store that sells them and if you look at his demeanor it's casual, not crazy gunman.

They thought crazy gunman. Lots of wackos go placid after a shooting.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 08:07 PM
They thought crazy gunman. Lots of wackos go placid after a shooting.

:rollseyes:

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
:rollseyes:

Truth. Most go docile enough to kill themselves.

Alyosha
09-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Truth. Most go docile enough to kill themselves.

Link.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Link.

Do you want a link to suicides or a link to the idea that one must be pensive in order for suicide? Do you want a link of chain or the missing link? Do you want a link to my "MySpace" page or the direct link to my naked website?

Dr. Who
09-27-2014, 11:05 PM

No this is a case of a malicious 911 caller and an imprudent police department. The victim was just a victim. From the video there was no actual investigation by police, they simply took the 911 call as gospel and essentially murdered the guy. Handling merchandise in a store doesn't require the buyer to consider how people might misinterpret your actions. If I'm buying an axe at Home Depot and handle that axe to determine whether the weight and balance is suitable, I don't expect to be shot as a potential axe murderer.

Private Pickle
09-27-2014, 11:08 PM
No this is a case of a malicious 911 caller and an imprudent police department. The victim was just a victim. From the video there was no actual investigation by police, they simply took the 911 call as gospel and essentially murdered the guy. Handling merchandise in a store doesn't require the buyer to consider how people might misinterpret your actions. If I'm buying an axe at Home Depot and handle that axe to determine whether the weight and balance is suitable, I don't expect to be shot as a potential axe murderer.

You really think the 911 caller had malicious intent? Really?

Dr. Who
09-27-2014, 11:20 PM
I watched the video which was timed with the caller, he was dissembling in several places, indicating actions on the part of the victim that were not taking place and apparently inferring actions like the loading the gun and then suggesting to the 911 operator that they were taking place, although not even obvious from the video. The caller indicated that the victim was pointing the gun at people, but there was no one in the vicinity. He only pointed the gun at the shelves. The caller was either malicious or mentally ill.

Ethereal
09-28-2014, 04:54 AM

You say that as if carrying a gun around automatically justifies being shot by the police.

Ethereal
09-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Ridiculous. The caller blatantly lied and the cops severely overreacted. It's not like he could or should have anticipated that sequence of events based upon his behavior.

Ethereal
09-28-2014, 05:04 AM

So what? That doesn't mean they were justified in shooting him. He wasn't even facing them, let alone pointing or brandishing the weapon at them. Police officers have an obligation to employ deadly force in a responsible manner, and being scared or trigger happy is not an excuse.

Ethereal
09-28-2014, 05:08 AM

The caller seems to have a history of lying, so maybe it was just pathological dishonesty.

Ethereal
09-28-2014, 05:27 AM
Looks like Ritchie (the caller) is your typical race-obsessed, rightwing troglodyte:

THE GUARDIAN (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/26/walmart-ohio-shooting-charges-911-calller-john-crawford)

Ritchie had said of Crawford near the start of his 911 call: “He’s, like, pointing it at people.” He subsequently told the Guardian that “at no point did [Crawford] shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody”, stressing instead that he had been “waving it around” and that the muzzle moved in the direction of other shoppers.

The surveillance footage released on Wednesday shows Crawford passing shoppers with the gun at his side. After arriving in a corner of the store, he is seen swinging the rifle at his side and holding it towards a store shelf containing pet products while standing alone and talking on his cellphone for five minutes.

The children who Ritchie appeared to claim were under threat from Crawford were in the store with their mother, Angela Williams. Williams, 37, died of a heart attack in the panic that ensued among customers following the police shooting. “I hope that he’s happy with himself,” her teenage son said of Ritchie in a Facebook post earlier this month.

Ritchie also told several reporters after the shooting that he was an “ex-marine”. The Guardian disclosed last month that he was thrown out after seven weeks in 2008, after being declared a “fraudulent enlistment”. He states that the problem was a mix-up in his paperwork.

In January 2012, Ritchie pleaded guilty in the Montgomery County municipal court to theft. All records of the incident have been expunged by the court and the Huber Heights police department. In 2010 he was fined $250 and given a year’s probation after being convicted by Miamisburg municipal court of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Ritchie and his wife, April, have not spoken publicly since his Guardian interview. Both have changed their names on social media. The day before he called 911 about Crawford, Ritchie posted a meme on his Facebook page featuring the comedian Gabriel Iglesias. “Me, racist? The only race I hate is the one you have to run,” it read. The post has since been removed.

One month later, Ritchie shared with his friends a story from the Tea Party News Network about a group of black men assaulting a white couple in Missouri. The story condemned President Barack Obama and Eric Holder, the attorney general, for ignoring the attack after speaking publicly about the killing of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, in Ferguson, Missouri, last month. It described them as “race hustlers”.

April Ritchie told reporters following the Walmart shooting that she had warned other shoppers to avoid Crawford in the store. When the Guardian requested an interview with April Ritchie via social media, she replied in a message that she was not April Ritchie. After being reminded that she was, she threatened to “contact the police and file harassment charges”.

Heck, Ritchie and his wife sound like some of the rightwing types that frequent this very forum.

Private Pickle
09-28-2014, 09:44 AM
You say that as if carrying a gun around automatically justifies being shot by the police.

You out of everyone should understand partial responsibility. You argued it during rape cases.

Private Pickle
09-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Looks like Ritchie (the caller) is your typical race-obsessed, rightwing troglodyte:

Heck, Ritchie and his wife sound like some of the rightwing types that frequent this very forum.

Well saying Obama and Holder are "race hustlers" does not make him a racist... It makes him right...

Alyosha
09-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Well saying Obama and Holder are "race hustlers" does not make him a racist... It makes him right...

Isolated as a comment you'd be right, taken with the whole not so much.

Private Pickle
09-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Isolated as a comment you'd be right, taken with the whole not so much.

What whole?

CreepyOldDude
09-30-2014, 12:05 PM

Legally, the entire state of Ohio is an open carry state, for both handguns, and long guns.

Here's a link to an incident from 2012. <Link (http://www.whio.com//news/news/advocates-put-police-gun-laws-test/nXyH5/)>

A white man entered a gas station convenience store at 4:00 AM, openly carrying his weapon. A customer alerted an officer who was in the parking lot. The officer confronted the guy with the gun. No weapons were drawn, and there were no commands to give up the gun, just a stern conversation.

Another incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2oOV4jU_g&amp;feature=youtu.be

The officer in this incident is very professional, and states that he supports open carry.

Both of these incidents happened in the area of Crawford's death. The gas station is in Riverside, which is just a couple of miles from Beavercreek. The bus stop is in Dayton. Beavercreek is a suburb of Dayton.

The question is, what made Crawford so dangerous that the officer had to kill him for exercising his legal rights?

Polecat
09-30-2014, 02:21 PM
That was an excellent video that pretty much summed up what I was saying about open carry. Between the media constantly vilifying guns and scaring the public and police being trained to make their own safety above the public's' its a dangerous world anymore. I would be happy if everybody open carried all the time and everywhere. Then the hysteria we are seeing everywhere that erupts when someone is spotted carrying a gun would subside. The 911 caller was a victim of this hysteria. Crawford was a victim of this hysteria. The officer that shot him was a victim of this hysteria.

If I were king the responsible party being brought to justice in this case would be the irresponsible anti gun groups and the mass media of prevarication that gave birth to this hysteria.

Peter1469
09-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Louisiana has been open carry since the 19th century. In college my car was broken into and my speakers stolen by the local Latin Queens (I mean Kings); I just missed them. I had my .45 with me and wore it on my hip the entire time the cops were there taking the report. They never brought it up.