PDA

View Full Version : Hyrule Warriors!!

IMPress Polly
09-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Yep, Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U is out today! I've been playing my copy for several hours now and so far I'm having loads of fun with it! For those who don't know, Hyrule Warriors is the first Zelda hack n' slash action-RPG since 1988's Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES. I think we're long overdue for another one, and I'm happy to report that Hyrule Warriors delivers it in the form of pure, unadulterated, blissful fan service. :smiley: You kinda have to be a fan of the franchise to appreciate the storyline, which is basically just an excuse to throw large numbers of (surprisingly mostly female :smiley:) characters from three past Zelda games (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword) into one game as playable fighters, but the Adventure mode and the sheer number of unlockable characters and weapons and the in-depth customization features, not to mention the awesome two-player coop mode, adds so much depth to the game that you definitely won't get bored! In case you're wondering, here's the plot:

The game is set in Hyrule, and stars Link as a Hylian soldier-in-training. Long ago, Gannondorf was defeated and his soul splintered into four fragments that were sealed in moments of Hyrule's time. But Ganondorf plots his resurrection through Cia, a sorceress who protects the balance of the Triforce while maintaining neutrality. With her amorous feelings for Link and jealousy toward Zelda providing Ganondorf a means to purge her inner light, Cia becomes consumed in her desires as she uses her subordinates Wizzro and Volga to wage war against Princess Zelda and Hyrule by opening the Gate of Souls, portals to different time-space realities of Hyrule, to amass an army of Bokoblins and other monsters. This prompts Link, aided by Zelda's protector Impa and the mysterious Sheik, to restore balance to the land with the aid of Hylian heroes from different moments in time and space, such as Darunia and Ruto from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Midna and Agitha from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Fi from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. The group of heroes are also aided by Lana, a white sorceress who claims she is from the same clan as Cia. Although they succeed in sealing the gates, matters worsen when Ganondorf succeeds in his resurrection and then summons Ghirahim and Zant from across time and space to lead a campaign so he can obtain the entire Triforce.

I think this is the best review of the game I've seen as yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEDBbyONocQ

...And here are a bunch of the game's playable characters. :cool2: (And this isn't even all of them!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8EEXL3L8c

In most Zelda games, you can only play as Link, and the only exceptions to date have only let you play alternately as Zelda, and only for a brief scene in the game. This title, by contrast, gives you access to a vast roster. And in Free Mode, you can play as any of them you want to on any mission! I think that's the game's biggest draw for me. The new character Lana (the white sorceress) is my favorite as my favorite so far, incidentally. It's also really helpful to be able to trade rupees for additional experience points as that avoids a whole lot of needless level grinding and helps you keep all the characters at roughly the same experience level.

Captain Obvious
09-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Wii U?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY

IMPress Polly
09-28-2014, 07:29 AM
For those interested in the game's story, here are all the Hyrule Warriors cut scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOOwaSPPrBE

As usual, the core theme is that of the elements of the Triforce (power, wisdom, and courage) becoming unbalanced in favor of power (represented by Gannondorf), with the combined elements of wisdom and courage (represented by Zelda and Link respectively) being required in an extra dosage to bring things back into balance and restore peace. The Zelda series is all about balance. However, this time Zelda has a much more active role (as a playable character) and there are many other playable characters as well. The Gate of Souls (basically a transdimensional warp) serves as a convenient excuse to throw characters and elements from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword (and even briefly some other games Zelda games) into one game in order to please fans of the franchise (like me :grin:).

Alyosha
09-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Midna?

IMPress Polly
09-28-2014, 09:26 AM
That's right, Midna becomes a playable character in Hyrule Warriors! :cool2:

kilgram
09-28-2014, 07:34 PM
I've got used to cinematographics with voice dialogues. It sounds weird for me that the characters do not speak. A lot 90s style.