PDA

View Full Version : Supermarkets Waste Tons Of Food As They Woo Shoppers

Captain Obvious
09-26-2014, 07:59 AM
No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/25/351495274/supermarkets-waste-tons-of-food-as-they-woo-shoppers

Supermarkets and restaurants serve up more than 400 million pounds of food each year, but nearly a third of it never makes it to a stomach.

With consumers demanding large displays of unblemished, fresh produce, many retailers end up tossing a mountain of perfectly edible food. Despite efforts to cut down on all that waste, in the U.S., the consumer end of the food chain still accounts for the largest share. It comes down to shoppers demanding stocked shelves, buying too much and generally treating food as a renewable resource.

PolWatch
09-26-2014, 08:51 AM
"Most of the dumpstering I would do was at Trader Joe's," he says, introducing me to a new verb. "They — more than any other grocery store — they plastic-wrap their food a lot," so the chucked goods are still safe to eat. Some grocery stores, like Whole Foods, compact their food right away, mixing plastics and food together, leaving much less treasure for picking, he explains.
And while he agrees it may take a little training to dive, he suggests the rules regarding finding food that's still good enough to eat are much easier to navigate than those about private property.

"You look at the food, and you smell the food. ... Using your senses is really important," Thaler says.
While vegetables may get mushy and cheeses might mold, it's nothing that Thaler can't cut off or cook up. He says the only thing that's really risky is meat.

http://keranews.org/post/your-guide-dining-dump

bon appetite!

Professor Peabody
12-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Where I live the Supermarkets cooperate fully with the Soup Kitchen I volunteer in. This enables us to feed about 200 people a week + staple food give aways.

ace's n 8's
12-04-2014, 05:14 AM
Where I live the Supermarkets cooperate fully with the Soup Kitchen I volunteer in. This enables us to feed about 200 people a week + staple food give aways.Several stores in my area do the exact same thing.

This article came from an NPR blog, NPR loves to needle and poke the processes of the American people.