PDA

View Full Version : Will SCOTUS take up gay marriage? Should it?

Peter1469
10-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Will SCOTUS take up gay marriage? Should it? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/as-supreme-court-term-begins-prospect-of-a-gay-marriage-ruling-looms-large/2014/10/04/8d0df452-4bbf-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html)

I think this is a state issue and SCOTUS should butt out. However, our laws have ignored federalism from almost 100 years, so perhaps SCOTUS will make up a reason why it should get involved.

The 10th edition of the Supreme Court under Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. begins work Monday with the prospect of a monumental ruling for gay rights that could serve as a surprising legacy of an otherwise increasingly conservative court.

Whether the justices will decide that the Constitution protects the right of same-sex couples to marry dominates expectations of the coming term; such a ruling would impart landmark status on a docket that so far lacks a blockbuster case.

And some say it would be a defining moment for a closely divided court that bears the chief justice’s name but is most heavily influenced by the justice in the middle: Anthony M. Kennedy, who has written the court’s most important decisions (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court/2013/06/26/f0039814-d9ab-11e2-a016-92547bf094cc_story.html) affording protection to gay Americans.

Cigar
10-05-2014, 10:36 AM
I hope they take it us ... the sooner the better

Green Arrow
10-05-2014, 10:56 AM
I hope they do not. I have long said, as a member of the LGB community, that I disagree with the method currently being used, going through the courts. I think it will ultimately do more harm than good, and it will not, contrary to popular belief, settle the issue once and for all. It needs to be done democratically, through the ballot. Through a judge's gavel is not democracy.

PolWatch
10-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm always amazed that some people have enough time to run everyone's life. Just think of all the $$$ that would be saved if people were actually allowed to make their own decisions without judges, politicians and preachers jumping in to tell 'em how to live.

nathanbforrest45
10-06-2014, 10:10 AM
I cry for America

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm always amazed that some people have enough time to run everyone's life. Just think of all the $$$ that would be saved if people were actually allowed to make their own decisions without judges, politicians and preachers jumping in to tell 'em how to live.

Exactly.

People forcing their morals down other people's throats should be ground up for sausage and fed to starving Pigmy's in New Zealand.

PolWatch
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
a little extreme, but I get your point!