PDA

View Full Version : Profanity filter

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Great idea, and for the record I suggested enabling it years ago. Not sure if it was a forum platform update thing that made it available maybe, but I like this idea.

When it works. I turned the filter OFF per the instructions but still see the %*!$%#@ filtered stuff.

?

Cigar
10-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Great idea, and for the record I suggested enabling it years ago. Not sure if it was a forum platform update thing that made it available maybe, but I like this idea.

When it works. I turned the filter OFF per the instructions but still see the %*!$%#@ filtered stuff.

?

Wouldn't be easier to just make this a Members Only Club and hand out Members Only Jackets :grin:

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Wouldn't be easier to just make this a Members Only Club and hand out Members Only Jackets :grin:

Do you have to clutter every single thread with your constant mindless babbling?

You really need to get a job.

del
10-06-2014, 07:56 AM
fuck

Cigar
10-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Do you have to clutter every single thread with your constant mindless babbling?

You really need to get a job.

Is this the time you start whining to Mama or the time you call in for reinforcements :rollseyes:

Cigar
10-06-2014, 07:58 AM
$#@!

Phuck :grin:

del
10-06-2014, 07:59 AM
good thing you can't turn it off

ADMIN
10-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Please try again, it should be fully functional now.

del
10-06-2014, 08:10 AM
fucking a!

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Please try again, it should be fully functional now.

Yes, It does now - thanks!

Chris
10-06-2014, 08:23 AM
$#@!ing a!

You misspelled &#@!ing.

Adelaide
10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Fuck.

Edit: works for me.

Matty
10-06-2014, 10:08 AM
$#@!.

But when reading the right side of the screen on who IS currently posting what, it is not filtered. You can read f u c k

Matty
10-06-2014, 10:10 AM
See?

Adelaide
10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I noticed. I'm sure ADMIN will look into it.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Fuck.

Works for me too

:biglaugh:

PolWatch
10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Works for me too

:biglaugh:

now you will never know if I'm actually cussing or just making typos!

Gunny
10-07-2014, 02:33 PM
@*&% and *&*%$@%* umm ... and $@*&@%

(this isn't gonna work)

nathanbforrest45
10-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Is fornicate a bad word?

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Is fornicate a bad word?

Only when it's under consent of the king.

momsapplepie
10-11-2014, 10:04 PM
The only problem with the profanity filter is, you can still see the profanities people post in the sidebar.

Cigar
10-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Is fornicate a bad word?

Only if you're a Lib

GrassrootsConservative
10-11-2014, 10:07 PM
The biggest problem with the profanity filter is all the words have the same set of characters so you have no idea what anybody is saying. Every curse should have its own set of characters.

Perianne
10-16-2014, 03:47 PM
I like the profanity filter. Kudos to whoever decided to put it in.

Cigar
10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
I like the profanity filter. Kudos to whoever decided to put it in.

It's Fucking Bull Shit :grin:

Cigar
10-16-2014, 03:49 PM
The only problem with the profanity filter is, you can still see the profanities people post in the sidebar.

Brilliant Filter

Perianne
10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
It's $#@!ing Bull $#@! :grin:

When on google chat, if you type in ~@~, it will make a steaming pile of poopoo appear on the screen.

Refugee
10-16-2014, 11:53 PM
It looks like I'm pretty well on my own on this, but if you can't post without using foul language and sexual images, you really shouldn't be posting.

Perianne
10-17-2014, 12:14 AM
It looks like I'm pretty well on my own on this, but if you can't post without using foul language and sexual images, you really shouldn't be posting.

I tend to agree with you Refugee, but on any given day there are probably 100+ profane words expressed. I simply don't want to read them. If someone likes reading naughty words, they can turn off the filter.

Refugee
10-17-2014, 12:45 AM
I tend to agree with you @Refugee (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1060), but on any given day there are probably 100+ profane words expressed. I simply don't want to read them. If someone likes reading naughty words, they can turn off the filter.

I'm thinking more of what impression it leaves visitors who think it's a serious political forum. '$#@!ing Bull $#@!' certainly doesn't do it for me, but the younger and more juvenile, who also post sexual images of animals and titter at it would probably like it?

Bob
10-17-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking more of what impression it leaves visitors who think it's a serious political forum. '$#@!ing Bull $#@!' certainly doesn't do it for me, but the younger and more juvenile, who also post sexual images of animals and titter at it would probably like it?

Some posters seen out of control on cussing. Does it impress them when they read some other cuss?

It never impresses me. I figure they talk to a lot of people like that and it's really poor on their part to keep doing it.

Perianne
10-17-2014, 12:54 AM

I agree. There is nothing we can do if someone wants to post such things.

Refugee
10-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Previously they'd have been told stop it, but now there's a filter, each can swear and titter at how daring it all is? It just looks so childish, another example of dumbing down and thinking it's cool? I thought the mission was to present as a mature and informative political discussion forum?

Perianne
10-17-2014, 01:27 AM
Previously they'd have been told stop it, but now there's a filter, each can swear and titter at how daring it all is? It just looks so childish, another example of dumbing down and thinking it's cool? I thought the mission was to present as a mature and informative political discussion forum?
@Refugee (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1060), I got a lot of heat at the other forum for the exact sentiments you have. I was called all sorts of names because I didn't like seeing the f-word in every post. Eventually one of the leaders there determined that I am a "Little Princess" and took me on. Management sided with her and Perianne left.

I try not to say anything about others' profanity because some good people here say naughty words. I love them no less for it, so the filter works for me. As far as visitors, they have to make their minds up whether or not they tolerate bad words. Many people here use a lot of profanity.

Refugee
10-17-2014, 04:27 AM
Nothing more to be said then, looks like it continues.

Peter1469
10-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I think the filter is a good compromise. Profanity was never against the rules unless it became vulgar, or was directed at a member.

momsapplepie
10-17-2014, 11:05 AM
If anything, the filter has exacerbated the cussing.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
I suspect that the profanity is like some of the other behaviors here...when you can be anonymous, you can be the stinker you would not be in real life. I see people treating others pretty bad on here sometimes & I doubt (hope!) they don't treat people they face the same way. Kinda juvenile...imho

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:22 AM
This electronic gadget only encourages members to use more profanity at will whenever they wish. I think it's a terrible inclusion but it is a perfect example of the PC liberal establishment relieving people of practicing self responsibility and accountability when it comes to the spoken word and proper grammar in societal company.

All that was ever needed here was a two word rule: No profanity, and then a discretionary enforcement of it to different degrees depending on the severity and excessive use of vulgar speech by any given member.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Maybe this forem isn't for you.

And vice versa.

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I suspect that the profanity is like some of the other behaviors here...when you can be anonymous, you can be the stinker you would not be in real life. I see people treating others pretty bad on here sometimes & I doubt (hope!) they don't treat people they face the same way. Kinda juvenile...imho

Agreed the mask of anonymity allows people to do things they normally wouldn't. The interesting thing to me about it goes with the idea "a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts". By being anonymous, people can reveal their true nature without having to filter themselves. We can see into their souls, be they good or bad.

FWIW, I'm against the profanity filter, but since we're all guests of a free forum, I fully support the owner's right to run it as they please.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:36 AM
I agree. There is nothing we can do if someone wants to post such things.

There is everything you can do, it's called social pressure, the same kind of social pressure that is being applied by those leftist forces through political correctness. Rather than state surrender, instead express outrage at profanity then concede that society is being controlled by political correctness social pressure without waving a helpless white flag of surrender.

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 07:40 AM
There is everything you can do, it's called social pressure, the same kind of social pressure that is being applied by those leftist forces through political correctness. Rather than state surrender, instead express outrage at profanity then concede that society is being controlled by political correctness social pressure without waving a helpless white flag of surrender.

Leftists who advocate punishment for violating rules about words?

All that was ever needed here was a two word rule: No profanity, and then a discretionary enforcement of it to different degrees depending on the severity and excessive use of vulgar speech by any given member.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Leftists who advocate punishment for violating rules about words?

Before you can enforce rules against profanity, you first have to determine what profanity is. And if you're using moral relativism, then you can't do that.

So the filter becomes a substitution for your insistence not to define it.

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Before you can enforce rules against profanity, you first have to determine what profanity is. And if you're using moral relativism, then you can't do that.

So the filter becomes a substitution for your insistence not to define it.

Words are just words. Like a gun, they aren't evil unto themselves. It is how they are used that defines whether they are good or bad.

If I bark my shin while working in my shop, it's not uncommon for me to dance around yelling "fuck me! fuck me! fuck me!" It's just a reaction to pain.

OTOH, if I say "fuck you", that's an attempt to demean another person and that's wrong.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 08:31 AM
I think it's a great idea.

I don't see any change in my posting habits because of it, I don't think of it.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Words are just words. Like a gun, they aren't evil unto themselves. It is how they are used that defines whether they are good or bad.

If I bark my shin while working in my shop, it's not uncommon for me to dance around yelling "$#@! me! $#@! me! $#@! me!" It's just a reaction to pain.

OTOH, if I say "$#@! you", that's an attempt to demean another person and that's wrong.

I'm talking about regular users of profanity here, like every sentence or every other sentence. They clearly won with this stupid device and be damned with anybody else who doesn't like it. What's the difference between the F word and ##@^*##? Everybody knows what is being said.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I think it's a great idea.

I don't see any change in my posting habits because of it, I don't think of it.

Your posting habits include regular vulgarity and profanity so the stupid filter doesn't make any difference to you. And why should it? This is a private site from what I've been told here several times and it would be nothing to insert a two word rule to get you to speak less profanity and make it more rare coming out of your vile mouth.

But who's going to enforce it because we have to have "personal freedom" and even worse, who's going to define what it is? We can't have any rules that derive from religion here, after all.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Your posting habits include regular vulgarity and profanity so the stupid filter doesn't make any difference to you. And why should it? This is a private site from what I've been told here several times and it would be nothing to insert a two word rule to get you to speak less profanity and make it more rare coming out of your vile mouth.

But who's going to enforce it because we have to have "personal freedom" and even worse, who's going to define what it is? We can't have any rules that derive from religion here, after all.

You must live a miserable life.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Everyone's level of sensitivity is different, as is what people are offended by. Intention is more important to me. You can tell someone "bless your heart" and mean "fuck you" all the profanity filter does is obscure true sentiment, IMO.

Adelaide
10-26-2014, 11:37 AM
The nice thing about the filter is that it allows individual posters to select to not see swear words. It isn't imposed on every single member. Some people just don't mind cussing, myself included.

Peter1469
10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Some people would be miserable if they didn't have something to bitch about. :smiley:

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Everyone's level of sensitivity is different, as is what people are offended by. Intention is more important to me. You can tell someone "bless your heart" and mean "$#@! you" all the profanity filter does is obscure true sentiment, IMO.

Can you tell the difference between proper grammar and profanity? No, because you just told me that profanity is on an individual basis and moral relativism makes profanity on an even keel with proper grammar.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd like to point out here the number of members who are supporting those here who use profanity on a regular basis also. This IS NOT a personal issue boys and girls, this is a social condition and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise that it isn't.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 12:04 PM
The nice thing about the filter is that it allows individual posters to select to not see swear words. It isn't imposed on every single member. Some people just don't mind cussing, myself included.

So do you regularly associate yourself socially with others who use profanity? Or do you dissociate yourself from them?

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Some people would be miserable if they didn't have something to $#@! about. :smiley:

Haven't you told me several times already that this is a private site? So instead of this gimmick that encourages more profanity, how much trouble would it take the owner of this site to install a two word rule that would greatly decrease the amount of profanity coming from it's daily users?

And more importantly, would you and your staff enforce it?

GrassrootsConservative
10-26-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd like to point out here the number of members who are supporting those here who use profanity on a regular basis also. This IS NOT a personal issue boys and girls, this is a social condition and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise that it isn't.

http://www.funnypica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Funny-Cute-Rabbits-Funny-Cute-Rabbit-Picture-066-FunnyPica.com_.jpg

sachem
10-26-2014, 12:11 PM
To swear or not to swear. That is the question.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Can you tell the difference between proper grammar and profanity? No, because you just told me that profanity is on an individual basis and moral relativism makes profanity on an even keel with proper grammar.

No, I actually didn't, but feel free to read into my words whatever you wish. It seems to make you happy to do so.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Some of us aren't collectivists and believe that individuals make these types of decisions for themselves.

Adelaide
10-26-2014, 12:34 PM
So do you regularly associate yourself socially with others who use profanity? Or do you dissociate yourself from them?

I swear a lot; most of the people I associate with offline are the same. Never towards other people or to describe someone, but just as descriptors I suppose. Also studies show Canadians tend to swear more than Brits or Americans. I grew up in a household and family that swore quite a bit. Although certain words are absolutely off-limits and not appropriate ever.

Common Sense
10-26-2014, 12:43 PM
I swear a lot; most of the people I associate with offline are the same. Never towards other people or to describe someone, but just as descriptors I suppose. Also studies show Canadians tend to swear more than Brits or Americans. I grew up in a household and family that swore quite a bit. Although certain words are absolutely off-limits and not appropriate ever.

Fucking right, eh!

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 12:48 PM
I was raised in a non-cussing environment. Believe or not, I was 16 before I heard the 'f' word. Words are just words, we choose what we say, not what someone else does. I think the filter is a good idea, those who are offended can use it, others can opt to turn it off. Personal choice. fyi: I turned it off

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 12:58 PM
No, I actually didn't, but feel free to read into my words whatever you wish. It seems to make you happy to do so.

Can you define the difference between profanity and proper grammar if it's left on an individual basis?

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 01:02 PM
I was raised in a non-cussing environment. Believe or not, I was 16 before I heard the 'f' word. Words are just words, we choose what we say, not what someone else does. I think the filter is a good idea, those who are offended can use it, others can opt to turn it off. Personal choice. fyi: I turned it off

Aren't your closest associates and political allies here regular users of daily profanity? So should anyone be surprised with your action?

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 01:04 PM
http://www.funnypica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Funny-Cute-Rabbits-Funny-Cute-Rabbit-Picture-066-FunnyPica.com_.jpg

And to think that this is the individual that I went to bat for the other day. Sometimes you learn things about people and discover you've misjudged them badly.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Some of us aren't collectivists and believe that individuals make these types of decisions for themselves.

Do you yourself associate with them? You could care less if others are offended by them because this is a personal freedom issue to you. And what do you use to justify it?

Again: moral relativism.

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 01:12 PM
not a prob...anyone who seems to believe that profanity is an indication of improper grammar...

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 01:16 PM

You do eh, thank you.

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm talking about regular users of profanity here, like every sentence or every other sentence. They clearly won with this stupid device and be damned with anybody else who doesn't like it. What's the difference between the F word and ##@^*##? Everybody knows what is being said.

If it doesn't matter, then why the Nanny Statism from you? If I say darn you or fudge when I hit my thumb, how is that different than saying damn you and fuck?

Chris
10-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Profanity? Too many self-impose a profundity filter.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Can you define the difference between profanity and proper grammar if it's left on an individual basis?

Why should I when I never equated them? That was you deciding that is what I said.

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Love the pic!

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Do you yourself associate with them? You could care less if others are offended by them because this is a personal freedom issue to you. And what do you use to justify it?

Again: moral relativism.

Moral relativism is an individual perception about societal, cultural morals where the morality is adjudicated by a notion that because culture A associates this connotation to an action and culture B does not A is probably not correct or that you needn't judge culture B. That is not my argument at all.

What I'm saying is that I set my own morals and my own compass and they involve the golden rule, not language usage.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:42 PM
If it doesn't matter, then why the Nanny Statism from you? If I say darn you or fudge when I hit my thumb, how is that different than saying damn you and $#@!?

You don't comprehend what you read very well, do you tailgate Maxy?

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Why should I when I never equated them? That was you deciding that is what I said.

Translation: You refuse to define the difference even though you know what the difference is.

Moral relativism.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Translation: You refuse to define the difference even though you know what the difference is.

Moral relativism.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3f/3f7a533bd444b763ef84c4359c0bcef0624ae8d7dfbf269860 53d30bc1c18edb.jpg

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Moral relativism is an individual perception about societal, cultural morals where the morality is adjudicated by a notion that because culture A associates this connotation to an action and culture B does not A is probably not correct or that you needn't judge culture B. That is not my argument at all.

What I'm saying is that I set my own morals and my own compass and they involve the golden rule, not language usage.

And when the next person defines theirs, what good are yours under your system?

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 07:59 PM
You don't comprehend what you read very well, do you tailgate Maxy?Your ITG routine needs work.

So your ability to recall your own posts supporting Nanny Statism:

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Your ITG routine needs work.

So your ability to recall your own posts supporting Nanny Statism:

The problem here Tailgate Maxy, is about the members here who are sick and tired of chronic profanity users and their unsavory A moral supporters and their objections over this stupid filter that only confirms people like you increasing their vulgar profanity under the new green light gadget.

Your problem Maxy, exactly is, that you don't give a damn what they think or what they are consistently offended by because you mister, refuse to define what profanity is in the first place. So save me your college boy ethics and your name calling towards me. You have decided to redefine morality because you, like your associates have sprayed a fog over what decent conversation is between human beings.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 08:18 PM
The problem here Tailgate Maxy, is about the members here who are sick and tired of chronic profanity users and their unsavory A moral supporters and their objections over this stupid filter that only confirms people like you increasing their vulgar profanity under the new green light gadget.

Your problem Maxy, exactly is that you don't give a damn what they think or what they are consistently offended by because you mister, refuse to define what profanity is in the first place. So save me your college boy ethics and your name calling towards me. You have decided to redefine morality because you, like your associates have sprayed a fog over what decent conversation is between human beings.

That's why we have the fucking profanity filter, asshat.

GrassrootsConservative
10-26-2014, 08:19 PM
:shocked:

/Edit:

:laughing7:

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 08:24 PM
That's why we have the $#@!ing profanity filter, asshat.

Shut your mouth degenerate, I didn't give you permission to respond to me. And get that garbage of yours out of your forum display.

Philly Rabbit
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
:shocked:

/Edit:

:laughing7:

And you boy, go put on your football shirt and join all your pals in the parking lot. To think i spent all that time the other day defending the likes of you.

It definitely wont happen again.

Max Rockatansky
10-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Shut your mouth degenerate, I didn't give you permission to respond to me. And get that garbage of yours out of your forum display.

$50 says you're a milquetoast at the office.

http://difference-works.com/wp-content/uploads/scared-man.jpg

silvereyes
10-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Permission to reply? You are narcissistic pr!ck to the nth degree. Trying to make up for your inadequacy regarding your vienna sausage? How utterly pathetic.

Edited so theres doubt about what i said.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 09:59 PM

Moral relativism.

Once again, I only expound upon my own arguments when asked, not those that others make up for me. That is a losing man's game.

del
10-26-2014, 10:02 PM
this thread is fucked

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 10:04 PM
And you boy, go put on your football shirt and join all your pals in the parking lot. To think i spent all that time the other day defending the likes of you.

It definitely wont happen again.

Grc is many things, but a bloviating bag of jargonistic nonsense he is not. I give him credit for attempting to communicate his point instead of issuing ridiculous drivel and nonsensical equations no one understands when not chugging a full case of beer.

Philly Rabbit
10-27-2014, 02:04 AM
Once again, I only expound upon my own arguments when asked, not those that others make up for me. That is a losing man's game.

No little goody, this isn't a personal issue of one person's profanity is another person's proper grammar. This is a social condition, not a personal condition. Your people are being deliberately offensive to other people because America has become a sick society. The regular use of profanity and bad manners are testament to you and your associates within it as society being that way and no example of personal freedom whatsoever. The problem, your problem, and PC society's problem is, you refuse to make moral judgments or draw any lines between what is and what isn't proper behavior.

Philly Rabbit
10-27-2014, 02:13 AM
Grc is many things, but a bloviating bag of jargonistic nonsense he is not. I give him credit for attempting to communicate his point instead of issuing ridiculous drivel and nonsensical equations no one understands when not chugging a full case of beer.

That doesn't excuse you as being incapable on purpose of defining what profanity and bad manners are because of your moral relativist views of society and the world.

Philly Rabbit
10-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Permission to reply? You are narcissistic pr!ck to the nth degree. Trying to make up for your inadequacy regarding your vienna sausage? How utterly pathetic.

Edited so theres doubt about what i said.

This one will be assaulted by no good men at least three times before next Saturday. Then she'll go on some internet feminist cry fest post and tell all her sexually obsessed sisters all about her latest ordeals.

Prediction.

Green Arrow
10-27-2014, 02:59 AM
This one will be assaulted by no good men at least three times before next Saturday. Then she'll go on some internet feminist cry fest post and tell all her sexually obsessed sisters all about her latest ordeals.Prediction.Shut the fuck up, you miserable piece of shit misogynist. And while you're at it, get a fucking clue. You can't rant about proper grammar while your own grammar is fucked up. That's called hypocrisy, douchebag.

Codename Section, Peter1469, ban me before I tell him how else I feel about the stupid shit he just said to silvereyes.

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 05:19 AM
I am closing this thread for now.