PDA

View Full Version : Ff vii

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 08:15 AM
So I'm playing it again and using a walkthrough guide to do shit I usually don't do.

Beat all the weapons and tried a completely different strategy. Underwater I came up with my own strategy, ignored the walkthrough's recommendation. Since Aire Tam Storm does 1,111 damage per materia equipped I just basically equipped 2 materia for each player. 4xCut, HP Plus and Underwater (on Red XIII). So because Red XIII gets ATS'd with 3 X 1,111 damage, he wound up with 7,777 HP's and triggered for the first time for me the "lucky 7's" Easter egg which is 63 straight hits at 7,777 damage. That ended that quick.

With Ruby I tried a different approach also but I used a strategy I've seen a couple times here and there, I basically killed two of my party members and engaged Ruby with them dead. Then revived them when the chance of Whirlsand was over, KOR'd the buried tentacles a couple times but he pulled them out and Whirlsanded Yuffie (stoned Red VIII - didn't have a ribbon on him) but I was able to dazer/KOR Ruby enough times with Cloud to finish him off.

Now before the final battle I'm picking up a few new things. One is the guard source glitch with the screamers, I'm trying that.

The Xl
10-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I usually do that with Ruby too.

Sephiroth is a walk in the park compared to the weapons, you can sleepwalk and murk him.

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Ok I whacked him just now.

It's kind of a letdown every time. Spend all this time and effort collecting all the materia, all that shit from Gold Saucer, maxing them up and multiplying them, getting all the final weapons, armor, accessories. Maxing all the characters out, completing all the side quests, beating the weapons...

... then basically just standing there and smacking the "boss" silly.

Bleh... They could have made Sepheroth like 10 times tougher.

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Wait - I fucked that math up, Yuffie had the underwater. Red had two materias, that would get him to 7,777.

Anyway, I've been playing this game for a long time off and on. My wife bought it for me back in the late 80's or early 90's when it first came out. The first time I "won" it I must have played the same game for 6 months, this was before internet info and hints, I had to figure it out on my own. I remember not fighting the weapons because they scared the shit out of me and when I got to Sepheroth I was like maybe 60 levels. Red finished him off with his level III break, it was a pretty dramatic fight.

The Xl
10-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah, if you're strong enough to beat the weapons, Sephiroth ain't shit

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:28 PM
And, I must have played this game through maybe a dozen times now over my lifetime, this is the first time I got all of the Turtle's Paradise newsletters.

Yeah, the payoff was kind of lame.

And I was trying to get the date with Barret but I've never not gotten it with anyone else but Aeris.

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, if you're strong enough to beat the weapons, Sephiroth ain't shit

Yeah, I maxed everyone out - even Cait Sith.

The Xl
10-07-2014, 09:29 PM
And, I must have played this game through maybe a dozen times now over my lifetime, this is the first time I got all of the Turtle's Paradise newsletters.

Yeah, the payoff was kind of lame.

And I was trying to get the date with Barret but I've never not gotten it with anyone else but Aeris.

Just shit on Aeries enough when possible while putting over Tifa or Yuffie and you'll get it.

The Xl
10-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I maxed everyone out - even Cait Sith.

I've beaten the game dozens of times in my life and I've never touched Cait Sith. The only shit character in the game

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Just shit on Aeries enough when possible while putting over Tifa or Yuffie and you'll get it.

I could never bring myself to call her the 'slum drunk'.

:biglaugh:

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I've beaten the game dozens of times in my life and I've never touched Cait Sith. The only shit character in the game

I play Red, Yuffie and Cloud mostly then drag the rest of the group down into the crater to pick off those magic pots with EXP Plus materias to get them up.

Vincent is kind of sucky, so is Cid. Cait with the HP Shout is actually decent. His breaks suck though.

The Xl
10-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Vincents last weapon, the Death Penalty is sick if you're a loser with no life. It gets stronger the more enemies you kill with it, and the damage can exceed 9999, it's possible to kill Emerald Weapon in one hit with it by triggering the overflow glitch.

Safety
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Ahh, FFVII the only game I know of, where you got more out of it than you paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Vincents last weapon, the Death Penalty is sick if you're a loser with no life. It gets stronger the more enemies you kill with it, and the damage can exceed 9999, it's possible to kill Emerald Weapon in one hit with it by triggering the overflow glitch.

I've heard that before.

I'm a creature of habit, I'll play the same characters throughout the game. Maybe next time I pick it up I'll mix them around more.

Cthulhu
10-08-2014, 10:39 AM
The best challenge in that game is the Chocobo breeding. Never did get the golden one bred, a few blacks, but no golds.

Captain Obvious
10-08-2014, 01:02 PM
The best challenge in that game is the Chocobo breeding. Never did get the golden one bred, a few blacks, but no golds.

Did you use the Zeio nut?

It's random, if you bred a (class A or S) "Wonderful" chocobo and a (class A or S) black chocobo and used a zeio nut, you don't always get a gold but that's the only way to get one.

So you could either fight 10 battles (time frame needed to pass before they're ready to mate again) or just reload and start the sequence again.

The Xl
10-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Captain knows his FF7, it would seem.

He is correct, that's how you get a Gold Chocobo.

Captain Obvious
10-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Captain knows his FF7, it would seem.

He is correct, that's how you get a Gold Chocobo.

It's the only video game I ever play when I play.

That and Civ III.

Captain Obvious
10-08-2014, 01:19 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55121520.jpg

Cthulhu
10-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Did you use the Zeio nut?

It's random, if you bred a (class A or S) "Wonderful" chocobo and a (class A or S) black chocobo and used a zeio nut, you don't always get a gold but that's the only way to get one.

So you could either fight 10 battles (time frame needed to pass before they're ready to mate again) or just reload and start the sequence again.

That could have been the trick. I never did the ten battle gig. I just remember getting really pissed at yet another failed breeding attempt.