PDA

View Full Version : David Cameron: Police admit they got riots wrong

Conley
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM
"The police admitted they got their riot tactics wrong, the prime minister has said, as he announced measures to help homeowners and businesses.

David Cameron told MPs the riots in cities across England were "criminality pure and simple", but there were "far too few police" on the streets.

He announced a crackdown on facemasks and a review of curfews during an emergency recall of Parliament.

More than 1,500 arrests have been made since the unrest began on Saturday.

The prime minister earlier chaired a meeting of the government's emergency committee Cobra to discuss the violence with cabinet ministers.

Mr Cameron told MPs that it had become clear there had been problems in the initial police response to the disorder.

Former Cabinet minister Sir Malcolm Rifkind also raised concerns that officers were instructed to "stand and observe looting".

Mr Cameron told MPs: "There were simply far too few police deployed on to our streets and the tactics they were using weren't working.

"Police chiefs have been frank with me about why this happened.

"Initially the police treated the situation too much as a public order issue - rather than essentially one of crime. "

Well yeah, there's your problem right there! I'm sure the police chiefs appreciate being thrown under the bus too. ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14485592

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
"stand and observe looting"....

??? >:(

Also, the fact that these "youths" knew they could get away with this shit is the central issue. What dies that say about British society?

Conley
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Also, the fact that these "youths" knew they could get away with this shit is the central issue. What dies that say about British society?

Exactly! Is it any wonder things spiraled quickly out of control?

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Exactly! Is it any wonder things spiraled quickly out of control?

I don't even live there and the attitudes of the "youths" were pissing me off. They interviewed some of them and the shit you'd hear was unbelieveable.

Conley
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Entitlements leading to an air of entitlement? Pip pip, why that's impossible dear chap! ;D

Mister D
08-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Entitlements leading to an air of entitlement? Pip pip, why that's impossible dear chap! ;D

:D

Mister D
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Because they are rightfully taking a barrage of criticism for their stand down attitude toward defiant hooligans they may now potentially overreact.

-----

London police raiding houses over UK riots

LONDON (AP) — Police in London raided houses to round up more rioting suspects Thursday as Britain's big cities remained largely quiet after four days of rioting and looting that drew thousands of police officers onto the streets.

http://news.yahoo.com/london-police-raiding-houses-over-uk-riots-084047983.html

Conley
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep, it's the same phenomenon that we see with the politicians over here. Closing the barn doors after all the horses have run away...in this case they're trying to project an image of dealing with the problem when in fact they are doing nothing to address the root cause.

Mister D
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Yep, it's the same phenomenon that we see with the politicians over here. Closing the barn doors after all the horses have run away...in this case they're trying to project an image of dealing with the problem when in fact they are doing nothing to address the root cause.

Britons would probably like to see internal/procedural reform and some assurance that this will NEVER happen again. In some respects, the riots may have a beneficial outcome.

Conley
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
True, but only if the people learn from their mistakes and vote in officials who will actually make the tough choices.

Mister D
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
True, but only if the people learn from their mistakes and vote in officials who will actually make the tough choices.

Now is the worst possible time to cave into these savages. Hopefully, the governm,ent gopes on ahead with the reforms and cuts.

hellraiser
08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
if the goverment doesnt listen to the people now it will only get worse.

many are angry dont think it is just kids acting up

Mister D
08-11-2011, 03:35 PM
if the goverment doesnt listen to the people now it will only get worse.

many are angry dont think it is just kids acting up

So you believe it's OK to resort to mayhem and destruction when you don't get your way? If so, you're part of the problem, hell. There is no excuse for what ocurred. None whatsoever.

hellraiser
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
stealing is not right unless food or medicine

but they are right to be angry

police shoot a man for no reason!! this is a good excuse to be angry!!

Mister D
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM

No one said that they didn't have a right to be angry. Then again, the incident is being investigated. It could be that they really don't have a right to be angry.

Conley
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

No one said that they didn't have a right to be angry. Then again, the incident is being investigated. It could be that they really don't have a right to be angry.

True, we don't really know what happened. When you decide to live in a country, you must also accept the laws of the land. There is a due process to follow and rioting isn't it. If you don't like it, you can leave, simple as that. 8)

hellraiser
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
so we should let police shoot us and hope police find out we are not guilty after we are dead?

sorry friend this does not sound like the american dream or the uk dream

Mister D
08-12-2011, 08:04 AM
so we should let police shoot us and hope police find out we are not guilty after we are dead?

??? You have no idea if that shooting was justified or not. It's being investogated. That's how it works in a civilized society. Or would you rather people which will entail further death and desruction?

MMC
08-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah they got them wrong thats why they are spreading.....plus now Cameron says he will look to the US for assistance naming Boston and LA as to their gang-control. Which Anti-Gang crimes are different in their approach. This is mob rioting so asking for help with gangs is a little far out there. Plus who said anyone in the US has a handlele on the Gangs and Organizations. :-\

Conley
08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
The way you stop it is with an overwhelming display of force.

Of course that might be tough to do when your riot police look like this:

http://www.blogher.com/files/UK-Riots-tea.jpg

Mister D
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
The way you stop it is with an overwhelming display of force.

Of course that might be tough to do when your riot police look like this:

http://www.blogher.com/files/UK-Riots-tea.jpg

:roflmao:

MMC
08-12-2011, 11:29 AM
More Tea sir.....crumpet too? >:D

Conley
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Those crazy Brits...

Mister D
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I sincerely hope that woman is not a real cop.

Conley
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Sorry to disappoint:

"As looters and rioters smashed up shops, looted and fought with police in Camden Town, Philippa Morgan-Walker, 25 and her husband, Jonny Walker, 31, made tea for the police who were protecting their street. Some of the officers had been on duty for more than 30 hours."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixel-eight/6024429000/#

I guess she could nag the looters to try to make them feel guilty, like a mother? "Children, stealing is wrong!" ;D

MMC
08-12-2011, 12:03 PM
What they do....put all the senior citizens in uniform? ::) >:D

Conley
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
What they do....put all the senior citizens in uniform? ::) >:D

Yeah, there's an older gentleman in the background of that photo. He's the muscle. ;D

Mister D
08-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Sorry to disappoint:

"As looters and rioters smashed up shops, looted and fought with police in Camden Town, Philippa Morgan-Walker, 25 and her husband, Jonny Walker, 31, made tea for the police who were protecting their street. Some of the officers had been on duty for more than 30 hours."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixel-eight/6024429000/#

I guess she could nag the looters to try to make them feel guilty, like a mother? "Children, stealing is wrong!" ;D

I thought that was a joke. :o ::) I'm speechless.

hellraiser
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM

??? You have no idea if that shooting was justified or not. It's being investogated. That's how it works in a civilized society. Or would you rather people which will entail further death and desruction?

i do not understand but i know you cant have police investigating police. the police work for the people. the people know what happened

i trust them more why else do you think this happened?

Mister D
08-12-2011, 04:15 PM

i do not understand but i know you cant have police investigating police. the police work for the people. the people know what happened

i trust them more why else do you think this happened?

Who should be investigating the police then? No," the people" do not know what happened. How could they?

You trust who more?

Conley
08-12-2011, 06:04 PM
:hiding: