PDA

View Full Version : VDH on London

Mister D
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Victor Hanson draws some conclusions from the riots and I think he is spot on.

1. Material well-being is now defined in relative rather than absolute terms. That is, poverty means lacking the opportunities afforded the 21st-century upper middle classes, not in being deprived, in a Dickensian sense, of food (obesity, not hunger, is a Western epidemic), shelter, hot water, or access to transportation.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/274335/learning-something-streets-victor-davis-hanson

Conley
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
It's true that the poor are a lot better off than they have been historically. However one thing I don't see mentioned very often in these modern discussions is safety. Having lived in some bad neighborhoods myself, the biggest difference now that I am better off is that I feel safer. Even when I was at my lowest I had a microwave, tv (but no cable, just rabbit ears, etc.) I guess I've always been in cities, but it is a lot easier to sleep at night knowing you don't need to worry about having your stuff jacked or worse.

MMC
08-23-2011, 12:42 AM
It's true that the poor are a lot better off than they have been historically. However one thing I don't see mentioned very often in these modern discussions is safety. Having lived in some bad neighborhoods myself, the biggest difference now that I am better off is that I feel safer. Even when I was at my lowest I had a microwave, tv (but no cable, just rabbit ears, etc.) I guess I've always been in cities, but it is a lot easier to sleep at night knowing you don't need to worry about having your stuff jacked or worse.

Thats true.....some neighborhoods there is no walkin about for a stroll. Don't see to many jogging and riding bikes to lose weight. No walking dogs. Half the time no one is out in front of their houses other than to get from the car to inside the house. Use to be safe when you were in a building. Didnt worry about bullets coming thru and hitting people.

Stay in a tent out in the woods and be like 15. I know some that live under bridges.

Conley
08-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Thats true.....some neighborhoods there is no walkin about for a stroll. Don't see to many jogging and riding bikes to lose weight. No walking dogs. Half the time no one is out in front of their houses other than to get from the car to inside the house. Use to be safe when you were in a building. Didnt worry about bullets coming thru and hitting people.

Stay in a tent out in the woods and be like 15. I know some that live under bridges.

That's a great point. People are told they need to exercise to keep healthy, keep the diabetes away. But if you live in the hood, how can ya do that? As a youngster you can run with the crowd, hoop and box, but really it's not safe to go for a walk, a run, or anything like that. Makes it tough in the hood.

MMC
08-25-2011, 12:07 AM
This guy is right.....and Flash mobs here in the US are part of the same thing he is talking about. There is definately a class warfare that is atrting to take place. The younger generations coming up now, have even less opportunites than we did. When in fact they should have at least the same amount if not more options.

The availability to equal opportunity! The Chance to live the American Dream.

Conley
08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
I meant to say once you get up there, it's tough to ball and box. Works better when you're a youngun. Once you're older, that's when you'd be walking/jogging if the hood was set up that way.

Conley
08-25-2011, 12:10 AM
This guy is right.....and Flash mobs here in the US are part of the same thing he is talking about. There is definately a class warfare that is atrting to take place. The younger generations coming up now, have even less opportunites than we did. When in fact they should have at least the same amount if not more options.

The availability to equal opportunity! The Chance to live the American Dream.

Yep, it's a shame...a real shame. The ghetto with no future is getting bigger and bigger. Kids live with their parents a lot longer these days too, there are so few intro level jobs. No apprenticeships. No future, no chance.