PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeratior recommendations?

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 06:02 PM
I have to get rid of my refrigerator with the bottom freezer and am trying to decide what brand/type to get. I've found a Samsung side by side that looks good. Anyone have experience with these? I had a side by side many years ago and was not impressed with the amount of stuff I could get in the thing. I really like to cook & usually have a fridge full of 'stuff'. The one I'm looking at is a 25.9 CuFt

Peter1469
10-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Look on line and read reviews about the ones you are interested in.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 06:13 PM
I have...but I like people recommends too! (old fashioned)

Matty
10-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Check the door. The sign of a good refrigerator is the quality and solidness of the door. I have always had good luck with the Sears brand.

Redrose
10-17-2014, 06:49 PM
We had a Kitchen Aid side by side for 7 years, hated it. Temp issues, no room for wide things. We bought a Samsung last year, so far so good. Doors are solid, close very well. 25 cu ft I love the draw feature. Stainless wipes down nicely. Paid on sale $2500 + tax. Reg. about $3200.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 06:51 PM
I've got a GE 3 door, bottom freezer now that I love...but back issues make getting stuff out of the freezer a problem sometimes. Husband likes to eat all the time...go figure!

Bob
10-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I have to get rid of my refrigerator with the bottom freezer and am trying to decide what brand/type to get. I've found a Samsung side by side that looks good. Anyone have experience with these? I had a side by side many years ago and was not impressed with the amount of stuff I could get in the thing. I really like to cook & usually have a fridge full of 'stuff'. The one I'm looking at is a 25.9 CuFt

i second Peter and if you are close to a COSTCO, they screen brands and you can trust them. I bought several from them and am pleased. Up a particular cu ft size, they are X inches wide. I have seem ladies buy one that she did not have the space for. Cabinets over them must be figured for.

Louse in my office just got one of her rental refrigerators replaced due to the one she first paid for having problems. It drove her nuts trying to the warranty honored. Do a check on warranties while you are at it.

Personally, it seems like the Freezer should be low since cold gets down low. I have a freezer on top and refer on bottom today but with the family I always had side by sides.

Google them to see what you can find out.

Bob
10-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Check the door. The sign of a good refrigerator is the quality and solidness of the door. I have always had good luck with the Sears brand.

Sears does not make them but I know what you are saying. Sears makes sure to sell good products.

Warranties are important too. Some of them mess you around for a long time just to solve the problem.

Costco warranties people show up fast and don't horse you around.

Consumer guide is good and libraries have those at reference in my area at least.

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 08:07 PM
I have to get rid of the bottom freezer due to back issues. Bad days I can't lean over to open it but husband still wants to eat! go figure!

Peter1469
10-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Just make surer you can get to the beer real fast when he asks for another.... :shocked:

PolWatch
10-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Just make surer you can get to the beer real fast when he asks for another.... :shocked:

how do ya think I've lasted almost 40 years?

silvereyes
10-17-2014, 10:32 PM
We had a side by side. Hated it. We had to buy a small freezer.

Common
10-25-2014, 10:16 AM
A side by side refriderator will have you bending over even more. You are in the fridge more than the freezer. If you get a top freezer you will be bending over to get to the bottom of the friderator.

Ive found a bottom freezer to be the least amount of bending considering your in the freezer less than that fridge.

I have a french door Maytag, water and ice on the door, ive had it 6 yrs and hit hasnt missed a beat.

If your a member of consumers they have brand reliability ratings.

Polecat
10-25-2014, 10:30 AM
You guys are hashing out a great concept. ADA compliant appliance. Side by side that is wider than it is tall with sliding by pass doors. Both compartments are within easy reach. The mechanics are on top so the waste heat can be dissipated without a fan.

Captain Obvious
10-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Do NOT spend a lot of money on it, they're all shit.

I got my new one 4 years ago in the scrarch and dent at Home Depot for 200 bucks.

Common
10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Do NOT spend a lot of money on it, they're all $#@!.

I got my new one 4 years ago in the scrarch and dent at Home Depot for 200 bucks.

Nothing wrong with scratch and dent at all, ive bought them. The thing were discussing is which design is best for a bad back and the least bending, not the quality of brands.

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 02:22 PM
I had to eliminate the Samsung...I didn't realize the side-by-side are taller than the 3 doors! For some reason, he refused to consider a complete kitchen re-do to accommodate a new fridge...go figure! I had to order a GE side-by-side...it was the only one that would fit other than a Whirlpool & I will not have another Whirlpool anything in the house!

Common
10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I had to eliminate the Samsung...I didn't realize the side-by-side are taller than the 3 doors! For some reason, he refused to consider a complete kitchen re-do to accommodate a new fridge...go figure! I had to order a GE side-by-side...it was the only one that would fit other than a Whirlpool & I will not have another Whirlpool anything in the house!

Ge is now electrolux, I dont know if theyve started making Rebranded GE appliances but Electrolux bought out GEs appliance div. Last time I checked electrolux repair record was in the toilet but that was a while ago.

Dr. Who
10-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Whichever one you choose, it probably won't last more than 5 years, unless you go seriously upscale. That being said, do you also have a chest freezer? If so, you could go for a freezerless refrigerator which would really increase your fridge space.

Dr. Who
10-26-2014, 04:48 PM
My brother had a GE side-by-side - it croaked in 5 years.

PolWatch
10-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Planned obsolescence! 5 years is about the life of a modern appliance. My husband had a 1949 Crosley refrigerator in his workshop that he sold 2 years ago...it was still working...and it had been flooded with mud during a hurricane! I don't think the new one will last that long!

Bob
10-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Ut ohh, My Whirlpool came from COSTCO

I lost refrigerant in the first one from COSTCO. They rushed me out a brand new one. It has worked fine for 6 years now. Not a problem.

But I picked a top freezer and you clearly need a freezer below due to the bad back.

Bob
10-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Planned obsolescence! 5 years is about the life of a modern appliance. My husband had a 1949 Crosley refrigerator in his workshop that he sold 2 years ago...it was still working...and it had been flooded with mud during a hurricane! I don't think the new one will last that long!

I hate to say it, but it is a hunch, that the parts that are vital and important are made in China.

Captain Obvious
10-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Ut ohh, My Whirlpool came from COSTCO

I lost refrigerant in the first one from COSTCO. They rushed me out a brand new one. It has worked fine for 6 years now. Not a problem.

But I picked a top freezer and you clearly need a freezer below due to the bad back.

Got it from Costco, huh? Didn't see that coming.

Common
10-31-2014, 10:20 PM
I read repair records before I buy not individual appliance ratings but brand ratings.
Every year consumer reports asks all its members to write about their brand appliances and if they had any problems.
They take the age into consideration and formulate a repair record.

To be honest here, I havent had a refridgerator ever die on me but one time. A ge side by side the compressor died within 8 months. Ge sent someone out and repaired it free. Other than that Ive bought new fridges because my wife said so, or we moved and wanted to replace the one that was there.

Ive had problems with sears washers and dryers, I doubt id buy any more laundry appliances from sears.