PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the GOP debate

Mister D
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I thought Santorum was just flailing away and rather pointlessly at Ron Paul but I missed the 1st half. The commentators afterward said Newt performed very well.

Conley
08-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Like you said, Santorum had nothing to lose but I don't think he gained any ground. He looked pretty foolish imo. I agree with you about the Paul fans, they should be more respectful and less boorish. Based on the audience it seems Paul won going away but I know a lot of what he said was very controversial. I also thought it odd that Wallace presented his own quotes to him in a way that made it seem that he was questioning the validity of his position. Then again, that may just be Wallace's way of speaking. Gingrich got mad at him also.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Like you said, Santorum had nothing to lose but I don't think he gained any ground. He looked pretty foolish imo. I agree with you about the Paul fans, they should be more respectful and less boorish. Based on the audience it seems Paul won going away but I know a lot of what he said was very controversial. I also thought it odd that Wallace presented his own quotes to him in a way that made it seem that he was questioning the validity of his position. Then again, that may just be Wallace's way of speaking. Gingrich got mad at him also.

I don't think the Fox people like Paul and it comes across clearly at least to me. Brit Hume seemed a little hostile as well in 2008 when he was a moderator. Yeah, Paul said some controversial things and I don't agree with everything Paul said or the way he said it but we need that sort of thing now.

I agree about Santorum. He looked desperate.

Conley
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
If nothing else Paul deserves a lot of credit for being an independent thinker. He analyzes situations and can always come up with strong facts to bolster his side, even if it's unpopular. He makes a good point (and makes a lot of GOP leadership look like fools) when Wallace pressed him on whether or not Iran was going for nukes. Of course they would. Why wouldn't they? :D

Conley
08-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Was it wrong for Wallace to ask Gingrich about staff defections?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/campaigns/former-house-speaker-newt-gingrich-bristles-at-question-about-staff-defections-from-campaign/2011/08/11/gIQAPIyl9I_story.html

Personally, I don't think that is really the time or the place for those sorts of questions. Plus it happened quite a while back...it's unfortunate that the Fox team seems to choose favorites.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
If nothing else Paul deserves a lot of credit for being an independent thinker. He analyzes situations and can always come up with strong facts to bolster his side, even if it's unpopular. He makes a good point (and makes a lot of GOP leadership look like fools) when Wallace pressed him on whether or not Iran was going for nukes. Of course they would. Why wouldn't they? :D

Even from a practical standpoint it's just not possible over the long run to kep technology out of someone's hands. That is one consequence of the current global system. So for me it's not a matter of whether or not Iran has them. I'd prefer they didn't but can it really be prevented? I do think Paul sometiems says things in ways that will not endear him to the American public. "Mind our own business" etc.

Conley
08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Excellent point. The advancement of technology can not be stopped, so there needs to be a long term strategy in place. The same situation exists in terms of running out of oil and alternate energies. The country is already paying the price for the lack of a long term vision in many areas, such as the unfunded entitlements that we knew were going to be a problem for years beforehand. I wish more politicians on the national stage had the sense to address these issues in their entirety.

MMC
08-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Even from a practical standpoint it's just not possible over the long run to kep technology out of someone's hands. That is one consequence of the current global system. So for me it's not a matter of whether or not Iran has them. I'd prefer they didn't but can it really be prevented? I do think Paul sometiems says things in ways that will not endear him to the American public. "Mind our own business" etc.

Say what.....there was a debate on? When Football was on? Uhm who tuned into watch that last night? Wait, let me guess. All those who's teams were losing that Pre-Season Opener. :-* >:D

Mister D
08-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Say what.....there was a debate on? When Football was on? Uhm who tuned into watch that last night? Wait, let me guess. All those who's teams were losing that Pre-Season Opener. :-* >:D

Even when I watched football I rarely watched preseason.

I was hoping Perry would be on but he wasn't. I was happy to see that Paul looked a lot less crazy this time around. I generally don't like libertarians but the GOP desperately needs reform.

Conley
08-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Perry?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PA0aYFxDUNA/TBcd1jf--2I/AAAAAAAAAC4/myW9EWZM6ag/s1600/fridge+3.jpg

MMC
08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I keep hearing how Bachmann went after Good-n-Pawlenty.....plus they stated that this guy has spent how many millions and can not even climb over 2%. Time for this guy to drop out of the race. Does anyone even listen to him? Again MSDNC says Bachmann tore him up too.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Perry?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PA0aYFxDUNA/TBcd1jf--2I/AAAAAAAAAC4/myW9EWZM6ag/s1600/fridge+3.jpg

Rick Perry. You started a thread about him! :o :D

Mister D
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I keep hearing how Bachmann went after Good-n-Pawlenty.....plus they stated that this guy has spent how many millions and can not even climb over 2%. Time for this guy to drop out of the race. Does anyone even listen to him? Again MSDNC says Bachmann tore him up too.

Yeah, I heard Bachmann stood up to him and made him look bad. Romney stayed out of any serious entanglements. Palin's absence probbaly helped Romney in that regard. They've had some things to say about each other.

Conley
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Perry?

:-[

I know, but you brought up football. Besides, we all knew Perry wasn't going to be there.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Perry?

:-[

I know, but you brought up football. Besides, we all knew Perry wasn't going to be there.

I actually expected Refrigerator Perry. I was hoping for a wild debate.

Conley
08-12-2011, 12:25 PM
:D :D :D

MMC
08-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Might as well call him Perrier......thats Perry.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 01:01 PM

You think he's an elitist? I stll know too little about him.

MMC
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Did you see what we put up about him from Wikipedia......I dunno I look and listen to this guy and then I am like.....would you really want this guy to have his finger on that trigger? I don't like the attitude that he is doing the Country a favor. That type of shit. Some things I agree with him on.

He does want to repeal the 16th.....others say the 17th too. I am waiting to see what more of those on Fox have to say. Pretty much know how MSDNC is with their take. Same with CNN. Also Michael Medved, I am waiting to hear what he has to say. Still I think palin shouldn't be involving herself into the mix if she is not going to run. Which I think is her plan to play one the American People all the way until 2016. Soak it for what she can. Which could mess up things with the GOP. Still there are some things that Republicans have to change direction with and stick with the American people on.

Mister D
08-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Did you see what we put up about him from Wikipedia......I dunno I look and listen to this guy and then I am like.....would you really want this guy to have his finger on that trigger? I don't like the attitude that he is doing the Country a favor. That type of shit. Some things I agree with him on.

He does want to repeal the 16th.....others say the 17th too. I am waiting to see what more of those on Fox have to say. Pretty much know how MSDNC is with their take. Same with CNN. Also Michael Medved, I am waiting to hear what he has to say. Still I think palin shouldn't be involving herself into the mix if she is not going to run. Which I think is her plan to play one the American People all the way until 2016. Soak it for what she can. Which could mess up things with the GOP. Still there are some things that Republicans have to change direction with and stick with the American people on.

I think Palin is setting herself up for a future run. 2016 in all probability.

MMC
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM

I think Palin is setting herself up for a future run. 2016 in all probability.

This is not good.....means we need to start tanking her ass now then.

spunkloaf
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
My thoughts on the GOP debate. "I think I should watch it."

Thank you all. Thank you. I'll be here all week, tip your waitress.

:weedsmoking:

Conley
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Exactly...Obummer was like that too. ::)

Conley
08-12-2011, 08:19 PM
They need to stop talking about belt-tightening. You have to lose weight (i.e cut spending) before you can tighten your belt. If you're a fat ass and you tighten your belt you haven't lost weight, you've just made yourself likely to have circulatory problems. ::)

Mister D
08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
They need to stop talking about belt-tightening. You have to lose weight (i.e cut spending) before you can tighten your belt. If you're a fat ass and you tighten your belt you haven't lost weight, you've just made yourself likely to have circulatory problems. ::)

:D :D :D

Great post. :)