PDA

View Full Version : The "green" religion?

Adelaide
10-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Seyyed Hossein Nasr, a professor of Islamic studies at George Washington University, believes Islam is more disposed toward environmental stewardship than other faiths, and should probably be regarded as the "green" religion. At the same time, he allows that Islamic governments have often put economic progress ahead of the environment, and many Islamic societies expect the West to find some technological solution to the woes of the planet.

Still, as Nasr told CBC Radio One's IDEAS, "Christianity in the West has had a tremendous problem: how to come to terms with the environment at a time when its most devout followers have not shown much interest in the environment."

As for the greening of Islam, he says "the Qur'an addresses not only human beings, but also the cosmos. It is much easier to be able to develop an environmental philosophy. "Birds are called communities in the Qur'an ... it is so easy to develop an authentic Islamic philosophy of the environment."

Nasr's interest in science, religion and the environment spans five decades. He's published dozens of books including Man and Nature: The Spiritual Crisis in Modern Man. In it, he compares how Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam, particularly its Sufi expression, see humankind's relationship with the environment.

CBC Ideas: Is Islam the "Green" Religion? - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cbc-ideas-is-islam-the-green-religion-1.2810850)

This is interesting; thinking about environmentalism from a religious point of view, and which religions preach a more respectful treatment of the environment.

donttread
10-26-2014, 10:49 AM
CBC Ideas: Is Islam the "Green" Religion? - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cbc-ideas-is-islam-the-green-religion-1.2810850)

This is interesting; thinking about environmentalism from a religious point of view, and which religions preach a more respectful treatment of the environment.

From a religion who's life blood is oil? Very interesting indeed

Polecat
10-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Green. The biggest fraud to be perpetrated on the public in my generation. The whole idea has become nothing more than a selling point to slap on anything to make it appeal to ignorant sheeple. You know this to be true when you see it being used to describe anything from pesticide to religion. No telling how many mesmerized greenists may read this and convert to Islam with the delusion of saving the planet.

KC
10-26-2014, 10:59 AM
From a religion who's life blood is oil? Very interesting indeed

Take care to distinguish religious belief from the practical measures taken by the state. Islamic societies rely on oil money to provide for their people. Islam has always placed a large emphasis on hospitality due to its origin in the Arabian Peninsula. That has translated to a strong emphasis on a state that is able to provide for its citizens.

The need to watch out for human welfare and the need to protect the environment are at odds with one another in much of the Middle East.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 11:14 AM
All religions believe this. Jesus said see the lilies of the field neither do they toil or earn, eye on the sparrow, ect., but that doesn't mean it is Green anymore than any other religion. Of all the religions only Druids and Jains put equal stock in nature as they do people.

Mister D
10-26-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree with the above. I will add though that there were developments within Christianity (e.g. Calvinism) that I think led to the changes in the way western man thought about the natural world and his relationship to it. Sorry to be somewhat vague but it's a complex topic.

Polecat
10-26-2014, 11:36 AM
All religions believe this. Jesus said see the lilies of the field neither do they toil or earn, eye on the sparrow, ect., but that doesn't mean it is Green anymore than any other religion. Of all the religions only Druids and Jains put equal stock in nature as they do people.

Somewhere in the Scriptures I read that to worship nature is a no no. Environmental exploiters use the "dominion over the earth" verse to ratify the rape of the land. Somewhere in between these extremes is a rational position.

Alyosha
10-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Somewhere in the Scriptures I read that to worship nature is a no no. Environmental exploiters use the "dominion over the earth" verse to ratify the rape of the land. Somewhere in between these extremes is a rational position.

The Hebrew word is in question, but as Christianity has over 500 sects they each interpret the word differently, from dominion to stewardship.

Polecat
10-26-2014, 12:31 PM
The Hebrew word is in question, but as Christianity has over 500 sects they each interpret the word differently, from dominion to stewardship.

During my reading I interpreted the meaning of stewardship as opposed to absolute dominion. We are a part of the bubble we live in and wrecking it makes no sense. Greed always clouds good judgment. It seems to be repeated all through what I have read so far that we should take only what we need. No more. No less.

donttread
10-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Green. The biggest fraud to be perpetrated on the public in my generation. The whole idea has become nothing more than a selling point to slap on anything to make it appeal to ignorant sheeple. You know this to be true when you see it being used to describe anything from pesticide to religion. No telling how many mesmerized greenists may read this and convert to Islam with the delusion of saving the planet.

Sustainable is a better word