PDA

View Full Version : Quick Lowfat Meal we love

Common
10-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Pasta sauce, whole grain pasta can on cannolini beans, just drain and wash beans add them to your favorite pasta sauce over whole wheat whole grain pasts......easy fast and tastes good, plus lots of protein.

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
I need to try cannolini beans.

Common
10-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Cannolini beans are whats used for pasta fasulla

Mister D
10-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I need to try cannolini beans.

They all taste the same. Cannolini beans are nice in certain broths because their skin stands out. They look appetizing in a minestrone, for example, but not so much in a chili.

Mister D
10-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Oh, and whole wheat pasta is gross. Use multi-grain, Common.

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
I have probably had them. When I buy beans I tend to stick to black and red.

Mister D
10-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Very common. You must have.

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Probably in food that I ordered. Not in anything that I cooked myself.

MrJimmyDale
10-27-2014, 09:07 PM
I only eat about 20 things and none of them are healthy.

Mister D
10-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Probably in food that I ordered. Not in anything that I cooked myself.

I use them for minestrone and various bean soups. I have 1/2 pound right now, actually. Used the first half for a grass fed hamburger soup.

Redrose
10-27-2014, 09:45 PM
When my kids were small I would make a chicken soup with boneless chicken breast, with lots of celery and carrots. Then I would pour the soup over cooked white rice and let it soak up the soup completely. It was thick, tasty and not expensive. A great winter meal.

Common
10-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Black beans are excellent for you but dont go well with certain dishs. Actually all beans are good for you.
I was raised with cannolini beans and chick peas we called them cheges pronounced chee gis.

I make the same dish with chick peas but alot of people dont like chick peas.

I switched to whole grain and multigrain pasta because my Doc said it has a much lower glycemic index than regular pasta but they only make a few styles in multi and whole grain.

Cannolini beans are similar to white navy beans.

Common
10-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Heres another we love.

First let me say to us there is never too much garlic, its just impossible to put to much garlic in anything for us.

Heres another simple one you may like with variations.

Dice garlic to taste, let it sit out for at least 10 minutes so it releases the alicin thats the good stuff in garlic.
While the garlic is sitting, take a box of frozen spinach put it in a pot on low and defrost it.

I buy in sams or costco Dehydrated onions, I use them for certain things. This is one after the spinach is defrosted and warm I toss in some dehydrated onions and let them re hydrate.

I heat olive oil and saute the garlic till golden in a skillet then I dump the chopped spinach in the skilllet take it off the heat and mix it, while I was doing the garlic I boiled my pasta and then I toss the spinach garlic and oil over pasts.
You can add beans to it for my protein or you can do it with chopped broccoli instead of spinach.

These meals are low in fat no cholesterol and have good stuff in them and they are FAST and simple and cost hardly nothing compared to most meals.

I love italian peasant food, I was raised on it.

Common
10-27-2014, 10:00 PM
When my kids were small I would make a chicken soup with boneless chicken breast, with lots of celery and carrots. Then I would pour the soup over cooked white rice and let it soak up the soup completely. It was thick, tasty and not expensive. A great winter meal.

That sounds good and it sounds like my grandmas chicken soup

Redrose
10-27-2014, 10:07 PM
That sounds good and it sounds like my grandmas chicken soup

My mom was from England my dad first generation Italian. I grew up with great Italian food and well....not so great English food. I love a pot of lentils, and pasta FAZOOL, that's how my dad pronounced it. Periwinkles in oil and garlic, eggplant, scungili, oh so many more.

PolWatch
10-27-2014, 10:15 PM
next time you make the chicken soup...try using the yellow rice instead of white. yum! We are big rice eaters & love different types used in different ways.

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 10:33 PM

I use chicken carcasses for soups. Yummy.

Dark Mistress
10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Oh, and whole wheat pasta is gross. Use multi-grain, Common.

I used to hate whole wheat pasta, but after a few years I decided I like it.

But I have come to dislike pasta in general. I use brown rice instead.

Dark Mistress
10-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Love, love, love soup season.

I think that is all I have made for weeks. It's rather chilly so I overkill on soup so when we are in the dead of winter we are sick of it-ha!

Peter1469
10-27-2014, 10:53 PM
I also like the colder weather. Now I am going to make soups, stews, and gumbos!

Redrose
10-27-2014, 11:43 PM
I use chicken carcasses for soups. Yummy.

That's "Jewish penicillin". Soup made with the bones like that can cure almost anything. I think it's the bone marrow. My kids would not eat the soup made with a whole chicken, only with the boneless meat. I like it though, very delicious.

PolWatch
10-27-2014, 11:47 PM
It can cure anything except a broken leg! I know, 'cause my mother told me so!

Dark Mistress
10-28-2014, 02:45 AM
I also like the colder weather. Now I am going to make soups, stews, and gumbos!

mmmmm Gumbo. Haven't made or had any in years...

Perianne
10-28-2014, 02:58 AM
My mom was from England my dad first generation Italian. I grew up with great Italian food and well....not so great English food. I love a pot of lentils, and pasta FAZOOL, that's how my dad pronounced it. Periwinkles in oil and garlic, eggplant, scungili, oh so many more.

Did someone say something to me? :)

Common
10-28-2014, 06:37 AM

Ahh pasta lentinchia or plain pronounced Len teek ia I LOVE IT.

Most people hate tripe I ate that as a kid and soufritta which you cant buy the ingredients for. Most people wouldnt eat it today, it was all the cow parts that they by law have to throw away. Heart, lungs etc. YES I used to eat that all the time until they made it against the law to sell the parts because of Air Polution.

My wife is half Italian and half english, but you would be hard pressed to find any english in her personality. You can see some english in here appearance though.

Common
10-28-2014, 06:39 AM
next time you make the chicken soup...try using the yellow rice instead of white. yum! We are big rice eaters & love different types used in different ways.

I like chicken soup with wide noodles

Mister D
10-28-2014, 12:26 PM
I used to hate whole wheat pasta, but after a few years I decided I like it.

But I have come to dislike pasta in general. I use brown rice instead.

Multi-grain is the best of both worlds. Good taste, extra protein, vitamins, and fiber.

Mister D
10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
I've been craving bay scallops over muli-grain spaghetti for days now. I'm getting some scallops this weekend.