PDA

View Full Version : The way Grandma made em

donttread
11-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I just had my eggs the way grandma made em. Cooked in so much bacon grease you could just spoon some on top of the egg rather than flipping it. DELIOUS!
Grandma weighed 120 lbs until the day she died ( age 80) when she had a heart attack while heading out shopping. She could still out shop my mother and sometimes my sisters.
But Grandma lived a very different life, walking most places most of her life and keeping an immaculate house without modern appliances. She cooked with lard and never heard of hydrogenated anything and used real butter. Processed foods were not part of her life and hard work did not scare her in the least.
What have we really gained in the past 50 years?

PolWatch
11-01-2014, 10:16 AM
As an older (!) southern cook, I hear lots of people asking the same questions. 'my granny used lard, we ate fried pork 3 meals a day', etc, etc. You put your finger on the difference...those folks worked...hard, physical labor for 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week. We can't eat like that with our lifestyle today. I love old fashioned, southern cooking...but again, moderation in all things! :wink:

Peter1469
11-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I would say lard is better for you than margarine. But smaller portions is good for those who don't burn a lot of calories.

PolWatch
11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
we use butter :wink: small amounts, but....

silvereyes
11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
We use butter.. .large amounts.. .but. ...
Lol. ..

Redrose
11-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I fry eggs in lard, it stays clear and doesn't burn and color the eggs. I too use enough bacon greese to cover the yoke on a sunnyside up egg. I spoon the fat over the yoke until the yoke clouds over then you know you have an egg good for dipping toast in it. I do crepes in lard too. Never use margerine, only butter in my fridge. Natural is better than chemicals.

An old English recipe we ate as kids was bacon fried and then dump a can of peeled tomatoes in, with a tsb of Worcestershire sauce. We ate it with toast, dipping the bread in the tasty gravy, the bacon would be cooked, but soft and chewy.

Mister D
11-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Chewy bacon is gross.

del
11-01-2014, 10:51 PM
there is no bad bacon, imo

momsapplepie
11-01-2014, 10:56 PM
yes there is. Don't ask for bacon in Great Britain. They serve it to you almost raw!

Redrose
11-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Chewy bacon is gross.

Plain, I agree with you, but in this recipe it is pretty darn good.

Common
11-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Its all in the genes some can do it and some cant. Some can eat no fat at all and still have to be on statin drugs.
I have no high blood pressure no sugar and no high cholesterol. I eat good stuff and I screw up too :)

Redrose
11-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Its all in the genes some can do it and some cant. Some can eat no fat at all and still have to be on statin drugs.
I have no high blood pressure no sugar and no high cholesterol. I eat good stuff and I screw up too :)

That's true IMO. My parents were not heavy, non smokers, we ate very little fat and junk food. I really don't have to watch my weight, 5 lbs up and down. We were not allowed to drink during our meals, only afyer we were done. My dad said drinking soda or juice filled you up and you wouldn't eat your dinner. If we left food on the plate it was OK. I do not like junk food, candy, or cake.

My husband is a big man, tall, large frame, like his parents. MIL filled their plates and they were not allowed to leave the table until the plate wass clean. They could also drink several glasses of soda or juice milk during the meal. He still drinks 3 to 4 glasses of soda at a meal. He has a weight issue. Our genes and eating habits make a difference. He likes sweets.

MaryAnne
11-02-2014, 08:09 AM
I had a time finding Lard in the Grocery,but what a difference it makes.i want my eggs in bacon grease.
but am also at the Y most days.:)

Common
11-02-2014, 10:46 AM
That's true IMO. My parents were not heavy, non smokers, we ate very little fat and junk food. I really don't have to watch my weight, 5 lbs up and down. We were not allowed to drink during our meals, only afyer we were done. My dad said drinking soda or juice filled you up and you wouldn't eat your dinner. If we left food on the plate it was OK. I do not like junk food, candy, or cake.

My husband is a big man, tall, large frame, like his parents. MIL filled their plates and they were not allowed to leave the table until the plate wass clean. They could also drink several glasses of soda or juice milk during the meal. He still drinks 3 to 4 glasses of soda at a meal. He has a weight issue. Our genes and eating habits make a difference. He likes sweets.

My wife has always been the exact right weight, shes never had aging weight gain or menapause weight gain. She has this disciplined ability to adjust her eating to keep her weight constant.

She eats a healthy diet and she has inherited high cholesterol with very low triglycerides and has to be on a statin
I can eat anything and the hightest my cholesterol ever registered was 204, its most always under 190. Everyones different.

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 10:49 AM
My husband has the metabolism of a hummingbird. Eats like a horse & never gains weight. He developed high cholesterol issues by 45.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I have high total cholesterol, but low LDL and low triglycerides. High HDL, 101 at last test.

Redrose
11-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I have high total cholesterol, but low LDL and low triglycerides. High HDL, 101 at last test.

Same for me with low triglycerides, sugar good, cholesterol very good. Hubby has borderline diabetes, as he parents did. I did gain a few menopause pounds around 50, but changed eating and drinking habits to eliminate it. I used to love a margarita or two with dinner out, but now just have a white wine, big difference in calories, no bread and butter before dinner (well very little sometimes) and no dessert.

@MaryAnne (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1306) Lard in the refrigerated section is called Manteca. Hard to find recently, so I use the lard found in tubs in the baking aisle.

When I cook foods other than eggs or crepes I use EVOO and a bit of butter. I have flavored EVOO such as garlic, rosemary, and a raspberry flavored one, it does give a nice taste to certain foods and salads. I believe it's better for your numbers than other oils.

kilgram
11-02-2014, 07:51 PM
We use butter.. .large amounts.. .but. ...
Lol. ..
Oil!!! Olive oil!!! Always.

Death to butter.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
My wife loves bacon, I'm not crazy about it personally.

But when I make breakfast on the weekends, if I make bacon I fry eggs in the bacon fat.

She's not crazy about eggs fried in bacon fat but my kids are.

I don't eat any of that stuff usually, I'm just the hired help but that's how my dad made them.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Oil!!! Olive oil!!! Always.

Death to butter.

Olive oil is great for many things, I use a lot of it.

But some things just need butter.

Venus
11-03-2014, 10:29 AM
My wife loves bacon, I'm not crazy about it personally.

But when I make breakfast on the weekends, if I make bacon I fry eggs in the bacon fat.

She's not crazy about eggs fried in bacon fat but my kids are.

I don't eat any of that stuff usually, I'm just the hired help but that's how my dad made them.

That's how my dad did it.

Peter1469
11-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Agreed

Common
11-04-2014, 03:43 AM

Ive been using smartbalance for years because of my wifes inherited cholesterol problem. I kept telling a friend of mine with ridiculous cholesterol lvls through the roof to use Smartbalance and that it tastes like butter. He called me bad names :( and said he wasnt using any margarine ever.

Until I sent him a copy of Cooks Magazine where the test kitchen says Not only does smartbalance cook just like butter it tastes as good or better because the taste is more consistent.

Try it Capt you might like it.

nathanbforrest45
11-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I fry eggs in lard, it stays clear and doesn't burn and color the eggs. I too use enough bacon greese to cover the yoke on a sunnyside up egg. I spoon the fat over the yoke until the yoke clouds over then you know you have an egg good for dipping toast in it. I do crepes in lard too. Never use margerine, only butter in my fridge. Natural is better than chemicals.

An old English recipe we ate as kids was bacon fried and then dump a can of peeled tomatoes in, with a tsb of Worcestershire sauce. We ate it with toast, dipping the bread in the tasty gravy, the bacon would be cooked, but soft and chewy.

I will be over to your house for breakfast in the morning. And just so you know, its grits for me. I spoon them over the egg and then stick a fork in the yellow so it runs all over the grits. I use butter too, its natural. Margarine is made from chemicals, not unlike soap.

Captain Obvious
11-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Ive been using smartbalance for years because of my wifes inherited cholesterol problem. I kept telling a friend of mine with ridiculous cholesterol lvls through the roof to use Smartbalance and that it tastes like butter. He called me bad names :( and said he wasnt using any margarine ever.

Until I sent him a copy of Cooks Magazine where the test kitchen says Not only does smartbalance cook just like butter it tastes as good or better because the taste is more consistent.

Try it Capt you might like it.

I really don't eat a lot of butter TBH, I usually eat my toasts and stuff like that dry or with preserves.

Common
11-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I really don't eat a lot of butter TBH, I usually eat my toasts and stuff like that dry or with preserves.

Still cant hurt

Common
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM

I had to finish what I was given, I was told it was a sin to leave food on the plate when so many were starving.
We always drank water with our meals and I still do mostly.

donttread
11-06-2014, 03:13 PM
As an older (!) southern cook, I hear lots of people asking the same questions. 'my granny used lard, we ate fried pork 3 meals a day', etc, etc. You put your finger on the difference...those folks worked...hard, physical labor for 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week. We can't eat like that with our lifestyle today. I love old fashioned, southern cooking...but again, moderation in all things! :wink:

A combination of the hard work, and play , they engaged in and the fact that the substitutes we have developed for butter, lard and sugar are worse than the original

Redrose
11-06-2014, 03:23 PM
That's how my dad did it.

Eggs in bacon fat are magnificent. Green beans in bacon fat is one of my favorites. We don't eat like that too often for health reasons. I'm beginning to think differently about that though.

My mom is 90, healthy, and my late FIL and ex FIL all ate tons of fat, and drank they were 83 and 95 respectively when they died.

I think the basic foods, meats, bacon, eggs, butter, breads, fruits, veggies will not kill us, I believe it's all the processed foods laden with chemicals.

Venus
11-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Eggs in bacon fat are magnificent. Green beans in bacon fat is one of my favorites. We don't eat like that too often for health reasons. I'm beginning to think differently about that though.

My mom is 90, healthy, and my late FIL and ex FIL all ate tons of fat, and drank they were 83 and 95 respectively when they died.

I think the basic foods, meats, bacon, eggs, butter, breads, fruits, veggies will not kill us, I believe it's all the processed foods laden with chemicals.

bingo

I tried turkey bacon once, yuck. I decided the two - three times a year I eat bacon, I can have bacon.

Moderation and stay away from processed foods.

I made a big pot of green beans last weekend. Fresh green beans, new potatoes and ham butt with a side of corn bread. Yum.

Mister D
11-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Too many calories is a problem in so far as it will make you overweight. That said, I drain most of the fat from the pan and then fry the eggs in maybe a table spoon of bacon drippings if I don't have butter. Sometimes I'll use olive oil but eggs are one of the few things that I prefer fried in animal fat.

Venus
11-06-2014, 03:35 PM

I will ground some honey roasted peanuts when I'm in the mood for peanut butter.

I don't have it often because it's the crack of peanut butter. Shits the bomb.

Peter1469
11-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Animal fat from free range animals is very good for you- some fats are essential for life. Of course all things in moderation.

Redrose
11-06-2014, 03:43 PM
bingo

I tried turkey bacon once, yuck. I decided the two - three times a year I eat bacon, I can have bacon.

Moderation and stay away from processed foods.

I made a big pot of green beans last weekend. Fresh green beans, new potatoes and ham butt with a side of corn bread. Yum.

I'm watching Dr. Oz right now, he's talking about good de-tox foods. Fortunately, I eat most of them. Garlic, red beets, artichokes, cranberries, but I don't eat ginger. I will get some though. I love raw garlic, but hubby stays clear of me when I do. lol

We do bacon about every two months. Turkey bacon is nasty, turkey burgers....ugh! I like my turkey roasted, stuffed on Thanksgiving.

Breakfast today was honey dew melon wrapped in prosciutto. That's a nice change a few times a year.
Unfortunately, most of the healthy stuff is pricey.

Venus
11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm watching Dr. Oz right now, he's talking about good de-tox foods. Fortunately, I eat most of them. Garlic, red beets, artichokes, cranberries, but I don't eat ginger. I will get some though. I love raw garlic, but hubby stays clear of me when I do. lol

We do bacon about every two months. Turkey bacon is nasty, turkey burgers....ugh! I like my turkey roasted, stuffed on Thanksgiving.

Breakfast today was honey dew melon wrapped in prosciutto. That's a nice change a few times a year.
Unfortunate, most of the healthy stuff is pricey.

I like ginger.

I saute green beans and/or asparagus in a little olive oil with ginger and garlic. tasty.

side note: ginger tea is good for an upset stomach.

PolWatch
11-06-2014, 04:27 PM
fresh shrimp, stir fried with ginger & garlic...yum!

Redrose
11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
fresh shrimp, stir fried with ginger & garlic...yum!

That sounds wonderful, stir fry is so versitile, I throw everything in the wok. Pork and chicken together is great. I love the brown sauces, not the white sauces in Asian food. I do one meal with a lot of broth in the wok, white wine, some water I put the uncooked rice in with all the other ingredients, and when the meat is done the rice is perfect. It soaks up all the juice.

BUTTER. I love buttered toast. In the evening with a hot cup of tea, I like toast. That's my British coming out.

PolWatch
11-06-2014, 05:51 PM
I just use some cornstarch in chicken broth to make a liquid...usually serve over angel hair pasta with whatever veggies in the fridge! I love stir fry to clean out the fridge!

Common
11-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Ive got a wok that i throw leftovers out of the fridge into. I season it and throw it over noodles, my wife prefers noodles over rice.