PDA

View Full Version : Internet woes and common sense policies

CAPUSAFcadet23
11-01-2014, 11:01 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/31/technology/internet-speeds/

The horrible truth is that we spend more for slower internet. What common sense policies would you propose?

Common
11-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Americans pay more for almost everything. Soon that rainbow may end for the sellers. Americans cant afford it anymore. Milking workers dry is a double edged sword

MaryAnne
11-02-2014, 07:14 AM
How I agree with this. One big internet provider for huge areas of the country. Now with the COMCAST/Time Warner merger it is getting worse.

Many are canceling, going with APPS,Net Flix,etc. , but you still have to have a connection. I like the fact many cities are setting up their own connections,but we have a Government that spends their time,and our money meddling in other Countries,while we go down the drain.

How do we stop that? And this is not a political rant. It is really a question. I had high hopes,but we are right back again in the same mess. How do we say," No more,not in my name?"

Common
11-02-2014, 07:27 AM
I hope that merger doesnt go through, comcast will drag it down for everyone. One of the worst providers out there

MaryAnne
11-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Americans pay more for almost everything. Soon that rainbow may end for the sellers. Americans cant afford it anymore. Milking workers dry is a double edged sword

I hope that merger doesnt go through, comcast will drag it down for everyone. One of the worst providers out there

Time Warner is not much better. We are waiting on AT&T UVERSE. Most are happy,but we shall see.

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Morocco has faster internet speeds and the King gives it to the people for free, if my tour guide was correct.

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 09:01 AM
We have ATT-Uverse service and I'm pleased with it. We have tried other cable services, satellite, etc and were not impressed. I live on the Gulf Coast...lots of rain storms, some hurricanes...we lost service when the clouds got thick or it rained heavily (2 times a week). I would told that as long as my home phone functioned, so would U-Verse and, so far, that has been true. We rarely lose phone service even during hurricanes.

CreepyOldDude
12-01-2014, 04:26 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/31/technology/internet-speeds/

The horrible truth is that we spend more for slower internet. What common sense policies would you propose?

Some months back, I was listening to a talk show about net neutrality, and internet speeds, and someone, I believe it was Jeffrey Eisenach, from AEI, kept mentioning that the US has very nearly the highest internet speeds in the world. I was floored by this, because our average speed in this country is slow. Eventually, he was cornered enough to state that these high speeds were available, if people lived in the right place, and were willing to pay for the higher speed.

I have high speed, for the area where I live. It's 100 Mb/sec. Up until last year, it was 15 Mb/sec.