PDA

View Full Version : Links - Spam?

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
I have recently been contacted by several people that I correspond with by e-mail. They are getting spammed with a bunch of junk coming with my name/address on it. I'm not sending this stuff.

I do click on links on the forum so I'm guessing that is where someone got my info. Is there anyway I can tell which links to skip? Can this cause any more harm besides annoying my friends?

I told y'all...I'm a computer illiterate!

Peter1469
11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
virus?

GrassrootsConservative
11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Weird.

PolWatch
11-02-2014, 03:20 PM
virus?

I run advanced care scans regularly...nothing has come up and I've had no other problems. Could it be someway to just capture my e-mail lists?

Arya
11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
You need to change your password.

Your email account has been hacked. It is done by robot computers. They scan for millions of passwords till they get a hit. Then the robot computers are set to send spam via your account.

It happened to me once, and more than once a few of my email contacts accounts were sending my inbox, tons of spam

Don
11-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I have had several email accounts taken over this way and then used to spam people. I think the penalty for cyber hackers should be a stomping by Hells Angels.

Shadow
11-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I have had several email accounts taken over this way and then used to spam people. I think the penalty for cyber hackers should be a stomping by Hells Angels.
I agree. :)

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 09:30 AM
That sounds like a virus maybe.

Or, some spammer got your email address and is sending emails out from another address with your name forged into the email header, that happens also.

Chris
11-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Have them check the exact email address. I get emails from a brother now and then that make no sense--about stuff unrelated to him. Before replying I check the emaiol address behind the name, and it's not his email address. These emails hope you'll respond and confirm your email address so it can be sold to spammers.

This is not something you could get off this forum as emails are kept private. Old days some forums posted hidden email addresses, hackers could screen scrape (read the HTML code). Not any more.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Have them check the exact email address. I get emails from a brother now and then that make no sense--about stuff unrelated to him. Before replying I check the emaiol address behind the name, and it's not his email address. These emails hope you'll respond and confirm your email address so it can be sold to spammers.

This is not something you could get off this forum as emails are kept private. Old days some forums posted hidden email addresses, hackers could screen scrape (read the HTML code). Not any more.

Don't fuck around with this stuff, nobody out there is going to help you with any of this. Contacting someone will just be a huge, frustrating experience.

Change your email addy if you have to.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Also, the thread title makes me think of:

http://cincysausageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/breakfast.jpg
http://afterglobe.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_8682-e1388734134350.jpg

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 12:56 PM
ya musta missed breakfast today!

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
lol! I never eat breakfast.

Rarely, maybe on the odd weekend we're traveling or the ol'lady was especially good to me the night before and I want to take her out.

But I do like spam, I'll admit that. Fried with eggs, it's not bad.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
lol! I never eat breakfast.

Rarely, maybe on the odd weekend we're traveling or the ol'lady was especially good to me the night before and I want to take her out.

But I do like spam, I'll admit that. Fried with eggs, it's not bad.

ah-ha! You, sweetie, are a REDNECK! Fried spam (or bolonga) is one my husband's favorite breakfast foods!

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 01:14 PM
ah-ha! You, sweetie, are a REDNECK! Fried spam (or bolonga) is one my husband's favorite breakfast foods!

Bologna?

You mean jumbo. When I was in Alabama I asked for a pound of jumbo at the local deli, they had no idea what I was talking about.

I love fried jumbo too, and onions and cheese. For lunchmeat it's all I'll eat, I'd rather have jumbo than ham or turkey. Lunchmeat is crap so might as well pick the one I like best.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
jumbo? I bet they thought you were asking for a pound of elephant or sumthin....yankess...<snicker>

Mister D
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Once in a while I'll do fried bologna or salami. Disagree on the lunchmeat Captain Obvious You can get great lunch meat. The Polish delis by me are awesome but I don't think the animals were raised ethically so...

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Once in a while I'll do fried bologna or salami. Disagree on the lunchmeat @Captain Obvious (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=3) You can get great lunch meat. The Polish delis by me are awesome but I don't think the animals were raised ethically so...

Yeah, I know - the Deitz & Watson stuff.

For $10/lb I'll have steak, thanks.

Or shrimp. Or both.

I like salami too but fried, it gets way too salty when you fry all the fat out of it.

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 01:20 PM
jumbo? I bet they thought you were asking for a pound of elephant or sumthin....yankess...<snicker>

Yeah, and pop.

I don't remember if they call it pop down there. They didn't in NC.

They did in AZ though.

Mister D
11-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I know - the Deitz & Watson stuff.

For $10/lb I'll have steak, thanks.

Or shrimp. Or both.

I like salami too but fried, it gets way too salty when you fry all the fat out of it.

Nah. The homemade stuff. They do different hams and stuff like that. Smells like heaven around Easter time. All that smoked porky goodness. :smiley:

Yeah, I agree about the top of the line lunch meats you can get at the market. I'm not paying $12 a pound for turkey. I'd be better off buying a whole turkey.

Kind of in the mood for fried salami now.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 01:24 PM
if ya ask for 'pop' around here...they will prob trot grandpa out. Soda or coke (general purpose use)

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 01:27 PM
if ya ask for 'pop' around here...they will prob trot grandpa out. Soda or coke (general purpose use)

Yeah - "coke" means any soda in upstate PA/Southern Tier NY.

We were at a restaurant in Southern NY when we first moved up there and my son orders a coke and gets a sprite. So he says "hey - I ordered a coke" and the waitress said "oh, you mean coke".

Total LOL WTF moment.

Common
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I have recently been contacted by several people that I correspond with by e-mail. They are getting spammed with a bunch of junk coming with my name/address on it. I'm not sending this stuff.

I do click on links on the forum so I'm guessing that is where someone got my info. Is there anyway I can tell which links to skip? Can this cause any more harm besides annoying my friends?

You need to get an antivirus antispam program that will scan your email coming in and going out.

I dont know how well you know computers but I can recommend and EXTREMELY effective program that is free.
If you cant do it yourself, do you have someone that could install it for you ? once its installed its flawless. I downloaded it to try it months ago and Im still using it.

Common
11-03-2014, 02:12 PM

We were at a restaurant in Southern NY when we first moved up there and my son orders a coke and gets a sprite. So he says "hey - I ordered a coke" and the waitress said "oh, you mean coke".

Total LOL WTF moment.

You pittsburghians call everything POP

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM

And Jumbo

... an'at

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm not the sharpest computer person in the deck...but I can download. I have advanced care and run it regularly for malware, etc. What is the program you recommend?

Common
11-03-2014, 02:15 PM

NY/NJ call all of them soda in florida I had expected it to be called POP but they call it soda here too

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Total LOL WTF moment.

My youngest brother was a Pentecostal minister (extreme fundy). He was traveling through NYC and they stopped to eat. His wife ordered iced tea....everyone else ordered sodas. She sipped it and gagged....told my brother that was the most horrible stuff she had ever tasted. He gave it a sip. Long Island Iced Tea. guess it all depends on your frame of reference. My sister in law swears that is the only alcohol she has ever tasted. (FYI...every family has its black sheep...he was mine)

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
NY/NJ call all of them soda in florida I had expected it to be called POP but they call it soda here too

Now, I'm anti-establishment.

I call it "baloney" and "soda" in my circle, just to annoy everyone.

:biglaugh:

Common
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Now, I'm anti-establishment.

I call it "baloney" and "soda" in my circle, just to annoy everyone.

:biglaugh:

hah my wife still calls it jumbo and I still call it baloney

Captain Obvious
11-03-2014, 02:29 PM
hah my wife still calls it jumbo and I still call it baloney

That's right, your wife is from Swissvale if I remember correctly.

Chris
11-03-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm not the sharpest computer person in the deck...but I can download. I have advanced care and run it regularly for malware, etc. What is the program you recommend?

Is this advanced care: http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html ? It looks pretty good.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, free here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

I've also used and recommend AVG, and use it on my cellphone. Free version here: http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage.

The problem you're describing however is not with you or your computer. It's with someone who has your email address on their unprotected computer.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
thanx...the iobit is what I have been using...I already had the avg too...I downloaded a more recent copy though. There is one person I know that sends tons of forwarded (Political) e-mails that I never open...I already have had one virus from them. I guess I musta caught another from the same fella. darn relatives!

Chris
11-03-2014, 02:55 PM
thanx...the iobit is what I have been using...I already had the avg too...I downloaded a more recent copy though. There is one person I know that sends tons of forwarded (Political) e-mails that I never open...I already have had one virus from them. I guess I musta caught another from the same fella. darn relatives!

Never open email from anyone you don't know. Delete.

A ways back I sub-sub-sub-contracted...Air Force and another subcontractor there was, well: One day our Internet, email, entire network shut down. Turned out it was a virus. Some men in uniform came to talk to this guy and explained it was him, he'd opened an email from an unknown source and took everything down. OK, everyone makes mistake. Two weeks later it happened again, and the men in uniform turned up again, same guy, same email, opened again. But they couldn't get rid of him because he was a rare administratrator of an old system they couldn't replace.

Never open email from someone you don't know!

Or men in black...

Oh, and run either iobit or avg, just one, not two as they can interfere with each other.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 02:57 PM
must be why I had not updated the avg...

Chris
11-03-2014, 03:01 PM
must be why I had not updated the avg...

Yea, you don't need it, can uninstall it.

PolWatch
11-03-2014, 03:03 PM
seems like you have rescued me from the computer gremlins before! Thanks Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/members/128-Chris)

Peter1469
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I have spam in my prepper stash. It is really good if you are hungry. I actually like it better cold than heated up.

Common
11-03-2014, 03:15 PM
That's right, your wife is from Swissvale if I remember correctly.

yep, her aunt mary is still there

TrueBlue
11-04-2014, 07:40 PM

What web browser do you currently use? There are some additions that can be used on some web browsers as well as some protection against spam, etc.

PolWatch
11-04-2014, 09:25 PM
What web browser do you currently use? There are some additions that can be used on some web browsers as well as some protection against spam, etc.

firefox