PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Season!

PolWatch
11-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Every November we see a number of books regarding the Kennedy family. This year seems to be the year of Kennedy family...instead of just JFK.

I have just finished 'The Good Son' by Christopher Andersen. This one deals with JFK, Jr. The story includes a good bit about his 'Mummy' and continues until JFK, Jr.'s death in a plane crash. His death proved to me that someone who has suffered from ADD all their life should really think twice before trying to fly airplanes. The author has written prior books on the family. He says he had agreed to not disclose some info he had obtained for earlier works but now, all is revealed (those he promised are dead). This book provides a unique view of history and I think Kennedy buffs will enjoy it. imho

Next on my shelf is 'Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis-The Untold Story' (like anything about her life is untold!) by Barbara Leaming. I have just started this book but I would say its written by someone who does not wear blinders. Could have some good gossip! :wink:

sachem
11-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Never really was a big JFK fan. Certainly have some interest being from the area, but not gaga over them. Only Kennedy books I have read are about Bobby.

PolWatch
11-08-2014, 03:43 PM
JFK was the politician of my youth...had my first argument over politics with my father over it. I guess I never outgrew my initial admiration...even after finding out he was a real stinker!

sachem
11-08-2014, 03:50 PM
JFK was the politician of my youth...had my first argument over politics with my father over it. I guess I never outgrew my initial admiration...even after finding out he was a real stinker!My grandmother loved him. Irish, Catholic, handsome.......

Maybe I grew up hearing too much about him. I was only 7 when he died. Saint John. I remember watching the funeral etc. But really became ambivalent as I grew up.

Matty
01-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Every November we see a number of books regarding the Kennedy family. This year seems to be the year of Kennedy family...instead of just JFK.

I have just finished 'The Good Son' by Christopher Andersen. This one deals with JFK, Jr. The story includes a good bit about his 'Mummy' and continues until JFK, Jr.'s death in a plane crash. His death proved to me that someone who has suffered from ADD all their life should really think twice before trying to fly airplanes. The author has written prior books on the family. He says he had agreed to not disclose some info he had obtained for earlier works but now, all is revealed (those he promised are dead). This book provides a unique view of history and I think Kennedy buffs will enjoy it. imho

Next on my shelf is 'Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis-The Untold Story' (like anything about her life is untold!) by Barbara Leaming. I have just started this book but I would say its written by someone who does not wear blinders. Could have some good gossip! :wink:

JFK Jr. died because he was a very rich kid, a new pilot and owned a plane he could not fly. Add that to flying over water at night which creates an atmosphere in which you cannot tell up from down (stars are mirrored on water). It was a disaster waiting to happen!

PolWatch
01-10-2015, 07:11 PM
He was not qualified to fly on instruments. His wife usually would not fly with him without another pilot along but made an exception for the last flight.

Matty
01-10-2015, 07:19 PM
He was not qualified to fly on instruments. His wife usually would not fly with him without another pilot along but made an exception for the last flight.

My husband is IFR rated, he wouldn't fly over an ocean at night!

PolWatch
01-10-2015, 07:23 PM
He is obviously much smarter than Jr. was. I think some people feel that if they can afford to buy something, they automatically acquire all the knowledge they need. It was a shame that 3 lives were lost for no reason.

Bob
01-10-2015, 07:46 PM

At the time of Jr's death, it was quickly apparent to me why he crashed and I posted on AOL at the time how he crashed. It was not ADD.

Kennedy was not experienced flying over the ocean. He could not see the horizon at night. He got vertigo during flight. He spiraled into the ocean in what we call the death spiral.

Later the NTSB stated this as well.

A pilot not too well trained in under the hood flying stops believing his instruments. His brain tells he is climbing so to counter it, he banks down.

I took a guy up with me who was no pilot and saw him do it too. i turned the controls over to him but he started the classic spiral so i had to take back the controls.