PDA

View Full Version : Question About Global Warming

Green Arrow
11-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Honest question, no agenda here either way. I'm not even going to pretend to be scientifically-inclined, either as a legit scientist or an armchair scientist. I'm only slightly more knowledgeable about science than I am about math, and I failed elementary school algebra four years in a row.

Now that's out of the way...does the fact that we're having a super cold winter have anything to do with global warming? It seems odd to me that if the whole point of global warming is the planet is getting warmer, then our winters should be getting warmer, too, not colder. How does that work?

I'd appreciate it if everyone would be kind enough to JUST answer my question, and save the partisan bickering and "Why Global Warming Is Stupid" articles for another thread. Thanks in advance.

GrassrootsConservative
11-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Climate is different from weather, is what they say. I believe the same as you, if things are cold (not in places like Buffalo, but like last winter and early this last spring when the polar vortex dropped places down to abnormally cold temperatures) that means the planet is not warming. Also, due to the fact that they were wrong about the "warming" they have changed the term to "climate change" so that anytime anything abnormal happens they can blame it on humanity.

Calypso Jones
11-22-2014, 10:41 PM
just curious, not looking for any fight but have you searched on line for how the global warming supporters explain this? And then use your own intelligence to determine if it really makes sense for you?

I personally was just reading tonite about this Global warming thing...and they don't like calling it warming anymore simply because it is embarrassing for them when the temperature drops this much and there is 6 feet of snow in New York. It depends on your personal World View. MY world view is that man is nothing and will not destroy the earth. I'm not saying that we do not have the obligation to make good decisions about littering and forestry, clean water...but instituting policies that are going to hurt those that cannot afford high cost oil and heat is not the way to go. So. Although I do believe the earth is going thru a cooling period, I do believe it will end in time....without our interference.

simi
11-22-2014, 10:42 PM
It's no longer global warming but climate change to include all weather related anomalies like the cold and snow most of us are experiencing now.

GrassrootsConservative
11-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Welcome simi.

Common
11-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Honest question, no agenda here either way. I'm not even going to pretend to be scientifically-inclined, either as a legit scientist or an armchair scientist. I'm only slightly more knowledgeable about science than I am about math, and I failed elementary school algebra four years in a row.

Now that's out of the way...does the fact that we're having a super cold winter have anything to do with global warming? It seems odd to me that if the whole point of global warming is the planet is getting warmer, then our winters should be getting warmer, too, not colder. How does that work?

I'd appreciate it if everyone would be kind enough to JUST answer my question, and save the partisan bickering and "Why Global Warming Is Stupid" articles for another thread. Thanks in advance.

Ironically I just read an article about this same subject, it said that the crazy winters weve been having is in fact because of climate change, they dont use the term global warming any longer, its not climate change.

Do I believe theres climate change, heres the exent of anything I know. I know the climate always changes. Thats the problem with climate change enthusiasts no one else is, they dont have a clue about it.

kilgram
11-23-2014, 04:51 AM

You must analyze these things globally not locally. And yes, observing the winter only in USA is observing it locally.

For example, in Europe we have a warmer winter, right now. We didn't have Autumn. We went directly to winter, and the winter is pretty warm. With temperatures of 18-20º Centigrades during the day. That are very high temperatures for the time of the year.

If you analyze the winter of the last years, I believe that is a few grades centigrades higher than other years.

Links: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/13

Highlights from the link:

The year 2013 ties with 2003 as the fourth warmest year globally since records began in 1880. The annual global combined land and ocean surface temperature was 0.62°C (1.12°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F). This marks the 37th consecutive year (since 1976) that the yearly global temperature was above average. Currently, the warmest year on record is 2010, which was 0.66°C (1.19°F) above average. Including 2013, 9 of the 10 warmest years in the 134-year period of record have occurred in the 21st century. Only one year during the 20thcentury—1998—was warmer than 2013.

Separately, the 2013 global average land surface temperature was 0.99°C (1.78°F) above the 20th century average of 8.5°C (47.3°F), the fourth highest annual value on record.
For example:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/service/global/extremes/201410.gif

GrassrootsConservative
11-23-2014, 05:51 AM
^^ See what I mean?

Calypso Jones
11-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Anomalies are nothing new.

Dangermouse
11-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Temps of 102F in Sydney Australia like yesterday's is pretty well beyond records at this time of year. The numbers and frequency of anomalies indicate more energy in the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is at it's highest atmospheric level since mankind first walked upright.

To answer your specific question, yes. The science evidence points to climate change as the cause.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/more-evidence-arctic-warming-behind-weak-polar-vortex-180952601/?no-ist

Peter1469
11-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Temps of 102F in Sydney Australia like yesterday's is pretty well beyond records at this time of year. The numbers and frequency of anomalies indicate more energy in the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is at it's highest atmospheric level since mankind first walked upright.

To answer your specific question, yes. The science evidence points to climate change as the cause.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/more-evidence-arctic-warming-behind-weak-polar-vortex-180952601/?no-ist

I think everyone agrees that climate change is the cause of our changing climate. :smiley:

What effect, if any, does CO2 have? Anyway I solved that problem in another thread about some nano technology stuff that can suck up and store excess CO2.

You're welcome. I will donate my Nobel prize money to the Wounded Warriors Foundation.

Green Arrow
11-23-2014, 07:33 PM

So, essentially, the fact that America is having a colder weather than normal isn't the thing we should focus on, but rather the focus should be on the fact that this cold weather is an anomaly, and the anomaly is caused by climate change/global warming?

lynn
11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Even if we all stop using fossil fuels today, we will still experience weather that is considered unusual for that particular year.

Peter1469
11-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Even if we all stop using fossil fuels today, we will still experience weather that is considered unusual for that particular year.

I would agree since CO2 likely isn't much of a factor.

Dangermouse
11-24-2014, 07:17 AM
I would agree since CO2 likely isn't much of a factor.

Climate scientists would disagree with your opinion, but what would they know, right?

This guy's a geologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpQnpWS2wU

Captain Obvious
11-24-2014, 09:57 AM

The warming trend is long term, one winter is significantly short term and I think the cold winter here is regional.

Climate change is a number of things, not just warming. Erratic and unexpected extremes are a part of it.

It's suggested that the warming is to a degree being offset by a current natural cooling trend (the Earth warms and cools cyclically over millions of years).

How's that for a wholly non-"partisan" response?

PolWatch
11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
The warming trend is long term, one winter is significantly short term and I think the cold winter here is regional.

Climate change is a number of things, not just warming. Erratic and unexpected extremes are a part of it.

It's suggested that the warming is to a degree being offset by a current natural cooling trend (the Earth warms and cools cyclically over millions of years).

How's that for a wholly non-"partisan" response?

hmmm...good job Capt...fair, logical, non-partisan...now you can be attacked by both sides of the issue!

nic34
11-24-2014, 10:07 AM
So, essentially, the fact that America is having a colder weather than normal isn't the thing we should focus on, but rather the focus should be on the fact that this cold weather is an anomaly, and the anomaly is caused by climate change/global warming?

Think we already went over all this here: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35158-Man-made-global-warming-hoax-drops-6-ft-of-snow-on-a-Buffalo-NY?p=845681&viewfull=1#post845681

Chris
11-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Speaking to the OP, no, one winter is not a trend. When Judith Curry first discovered the hiatus in global warming some 7 years ago, while the politicians and media hooted and howled, the scientific response to her was 10 years is not a significant trend, wait 15. It's now 17 years and the hiatus, so climatologists are busy coming up with new hypotheses and models to explain it. Curray has come up with one called the stadium wave effect and with it predicts will last another two decades (maybe it was one decade, I forget).

New paper from Dr. Judith Curry could explain ‘the pause’ (http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/10/10/new-paper-from-dr-judith-curry-could-explain-the-pause/): "the ‘stadium wave’ climate signal propagates across the Northern Hemisphere through a network of ocean, ice, and atmospheric circulation regimes that self-organize into a collective tempo."

BTW, San Antonio is in my experience having a warmer than usual winter so far.

Captain Obvious
11-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Think we already went over all this here: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35158-Man-made-global-warming-hoax-drops-6-ft-of-snow-on-a-Buffalo-NY?p=845681&viewfull=1#post845681

And it will get gone over again... and again.

Then Zimmerman, now Ferguson.

Lather, rinse, repeat

kilgram
11-24-2014, 06:24 PM

America is not the world. You can say that os colder when I can say this winter is one of the warmest. It is something that you ignore.

Отправлено с моего MT15i через Tapatalk

Common Sense
11-24-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

Bob
11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Climate scientists would disagree with your opinion, but what would they know, right?

This world renown Climate scientist does not agree that it is a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sHg3ZztDAw

Green Arrow
11-24-2014, 07:12 PM
America is not the world. You can say that os colder when I can say this winter is one of the warmest. It is something that you ignore.

I didn't ignore it. I read it and thought about it. Then dangermouse posted and I felt my question to him would answer both our posts.

Chris
11-24-2014, 07:50 PM

What!? America's not the world? :-0

GrassrootsConservative
11-24-2014, 08:52 PM

This guy's a geologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpQnpWS2wU

What does geology have to do with climate science?