PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake Kills Pentecostal Pastor.....

MMC
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
http://l.yimg.com/dh/ap/ap/default/120530/mark_wolford.jpg
Rattlesnake kills Pentecostal pastor (http://att.my.yahoo.com/_ylt=AsoVLsss0SjDYg9UCWkRZeGmN3wV;_ylu=X3oDMTI0dXE 4cmRjBGNwb3MDMQRpbnRsA3VzBHBrZwNpZC0yMzExMTQ3BHBrZ 3YDMTAEcG9zAzIEc2VjA2F0dHRkLWZlYXQEc2xrA3RpdGxl/RV=1/RE=1338581721/RH=YXR0Lm15LnlhaG9vLmNvbQ--/RO=2/RU=aHR0cDovL25ld3MueWFob28uY29tL3NlcnBlbnQtaGFuZGx pbmctd2VzdC12aXJnaW5pYS1wYXN0b3ItZGllcy1zbmFrZS1ia XRlLTE3MzQwNjY0NS0tYWJjLW5ld3MtdG9wc3Rvcmllcy5odG1 s/RS=^ADA.bNURtRUpQ6K7Zd0jkBzoTnKMb4-)
A test of faith in the West Virginia wilderness turns deadly for a "serpent-handling" church leader.

A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.
Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him.
Jim Shires, owner of the Cravens-Shires Funeral Home in Bluefield, told ABC News that Wolford died Monday. Wolford's church, the Apostolic House of the Lord Jesus in Matoaka, will host a viewing Friday and a funeral service Saturday morning. Wolford will be buried at the Hicks Family Plot in Phelps, Ky.

Officials at the Panther Wildlife Management Area had been unaware of Sunday's event until they were notified by callers after the service.
"We did not know that this event was happening, and if we had known about it or if we had been asked for permission, permission would not have been granted," Hoy Murphy, public information officer for the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, told ABC News.

While snake-handling is legal in West Virginia, other Appalachian states, including Kentucky and Tennessee, have banned the practice in public spaces.

Snake-handlers point to scripture as evidence that God calls them to engage in such a practice to show their faith in him. Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." .....snip~

What do you think about these guys that want to run around with snakes? Rattlesnacks? Why not something like a Black Mamba? Think they would want to test their beliefs on the Two-Step out of Nam?

He should have thought about playing with my Cuzin the Goddess of Fire.....this way he would have only got burnt. :evil:

Conley
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Wow, I think the bites happen with some regularity at these places but they should buy some anti venom to keep on hand too. I saw a video about one of these churches, it was pretty wild.

roadmaster
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
This preacher did he lack wisdom? Was he testing God or tempting Him? Yes, God did say these things but don't expect me to grab a rattlesnake. If He should ask of me to do so then I would because of His Words.

To me this man is like saying, I can jump off a twenty story building and God will save me at the last minute.

Viv
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry the guy died, but perhaps it saved someone else's life.

Conley
05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry the guy died, but perhaps it saved someone else's life.

How so?

roadmaster
05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Pentecostals less than 1% do this and it tends to give them a bad name. Just like in Africa people play with cobras. I happen to like the Pentecostals but don't like this sect. Speaking in tongues in which I don't have this gift but some do. Remember that is the least of Gods gifts. I am just a Christ follower with no affiliation but attend many denominations as long as they speak the Word.

In a way he could have saved a life because he took our Masters words out of context.

Deadwood
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
This preacher did he lack wisdom? Was he testing God or tempting Him? Yes, God did say these things but don't expect me to grab a rattlesnake. If He should ask of me to do so then I would because of His Words.

To me this man is like saying, I can jump off a twenty story building and God will save me at the last minute.

I really don't think God had anything to do with this. As a Christian I have to wonder whether God has anything to do with Churches for that matter.

But I do know that He does not want our faith based on "signs and wonders" but on the contents of our hearts.

Just sayin', and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

roadmaster
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
I really don't think God had anything to do with this. As a Christian I have to wonder whether God has anything to do with Churches for that matter.

But I do know that He does not want our faith based on "signs and wonders" but on the contents of our hearts.

Just sayin', and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Well in a matter of speaking We are the Church not the building. Yes, He called me (my heart) and yes I have seen His signs. He is still the God of yesterday.

Viv
05-31-2012, 04:52 PM
How so?

He was encouraging the congregation to play, or at least be in proximity with, deadly snakes?

No harm to the man and he may have been a good sort with good intentions, but what was his next trick going to be? Telling them they would go to a new world on the tail of a comet, if only they drink the poisoned chalice?

Conley
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
He was encouraging the congregation to play, or at least be in proximity with, deadly snakes?

No harm to the man and he may have been a good sort with good intentions, but what was his next trick going to be? Telling them they would go to a new world on the tail of a comet, if only they drink the poisoned chalice?

Ah, I figured they knew the score when they signed up. I wonder if this will put a damper on future snake handling? This guy had seen his dad go the same way so they might just carry on regardless.

Smartmouthwoman
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Testing God is never a good idea, but this guy pushed it way too far. May God have mercy on his soul.
:(

MMC
05-31-2012, 09:45 PM
:pope:.....:sign_amen:

KSigMason
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
I saw this on another forum and I will post the same picture. Some may not get it, but I find it applicable.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/im-not-saying-lets-kill-all-the-stupid-people.png

Smartmouthwoman
05-31-2012, 11:00 PM
I saw this on another forum and I will post the same picture. Some may not get it, but I find it applicable.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/im-not-saying-lets-kill-all-the-stupid-people.png

I think it's perfect. You know what they say... most fatalities are preceeded by someone saying, "Hey y'all, watch this shit!"

MMC
05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
We had a video up somewhere.....where one of those parachutists jumping off of some high bridge on top of a cliff. Jumped off and the Chute never opened. We were like whens he going to open the Chute. Ya just kept seeing him fall. Needless to say his chute never opened.

Another thread we had up.....was of some chick who went bungie jumping in Africa. The Cord Snapped. She fell 111 meters into a river breaking her collarbone. Plus they had to get her out of the river before the crocs got to her. Somehow she manage to live thru it.

Now I have jumped from planes but trying it off a cliff. I'll pass!

wingrider
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
you know this reminds me of Jesus temptation in the wilderness.. when satan tempted Christ , Christ said " thou shalt not tempt the lord thy God.. people do this stuff and then blame god when things go wrong.. free will and free choice does not mean you won't have consequences for stupidity.