PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Woolridge Dead at 52

Conley
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Former Notre Dame and Chicago Bulls star Orlando Woolridge has died at age 52, officials in Louisiana told the Shreveport Times.

Desoto Parish Chief Deputy Coroner Billy Locke told the newspaper that Woolridge had been under hospice care for a chronic heart condition at his parents' home in Mansfield, La.

Woolridge was part of Notre Dame's Final Four team in 1978 as a freshman. As a senior, he hit a last-second jumper to end Ralph Sampson and No. 1 Virginia's 28-game winning streak.

Woolridge, a 6-foot-9 forward, had a 13-year NBA career after being taken with the sixth overall pick by the Bulls in 1981. He played five seasons in Chicago, averaging 22.9 points per game in 1984-85, Michael Jordan's first in the league.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7996539/former-notre-dame-fighting-irish-chicago-bulls-player-orlando-woolridge-dead-52

That is a real shame, used to love watching him play. RIP.

Shoot the Goose
06-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Too young. Remember watching him play at ND. RIP.

For those too young, Digger Phelps, still of ESPN NCAA basketball analysis, was ND coach then. It was a great era in ND basketball.

MMC
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
My Grams was a Big Notre Dame Fan.....Course being Irish might have had something to do with it. That is a shame 52. Another one so young. :sad: I remember when he played with Mike.

My oldest son's B-Day is the same as Jordan's. Feb 17th. I am just hoping he can be a success like Jordan was. Emphasis on Was!

RIP.....MR Woolridge. :sign_amen:

Calypso Jones
06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
awfully tall. Wonder if he had Marfan Syndrome.