PDA

View Full Version : Syrian Warships Shell Protestors

Conley
08-14-2011, 09:24 AM
"Syrian warships have joined a military assault targeting protesters in the northern port city of Latakia, activists say.

At least 19 people have been killed in the operation, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The military attack began on Saturday, targeting the protesters' stronghold of Ramleh in the city, it said.

More than 1,700 people have reportedly died in the six-month uprising against the rule of President Bashar al-Assad.
'Residents flee'

Some 20 tanks and personnel carriers were also said to be taking part in the Latakia assault, with heavy gunfire reported in the Ramleh neighbourhood.

One witness told Reuters news agency by telephone: "I can see the silhouettes of two grey [naval] vessels. They are firing their guns and the impact is landing on al-Ramleh, al-Filistini and al-Shaab neighbourhoods."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14520830

Seems the crackdown is intensifying...they are trying to quash the protests before any more sanctions and diplomatic damage are done.

MMC
08-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Alright get those Sunni B******S.....quik quik chop chop, before Obamer Sends in da Drones. >:D

Mister D
08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow. Naval fire on a city? That's an oldschool beat down. :o

Conley
08-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow. Naval fire on a city? That's an oldschool beat down. :o

Yep, straight gangsta.

Conley
08-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Reminds me of my strategy in Civilization.

8)

Mister D
08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I wonder what the Israelis are thinking about all this? Do the protesters, if indeed they are a monolithic bloc, have a less antagonistic attitude toward Israel? Have Syrians realized that their government has been distracting them by the Israeli issue?

Conley
08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I would imagine that the revolutionaries are not monolithic and probably still remain antagonistic towards the U.S. and Israel. I don't think it's a situation of the enemy of the enemy is my friend, especially since the West and Israel haven't done much besides sanctions to help them.

Mister D
08-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I would imagine that the revolutionaries are not monolithic and probably still remain antagonistic towards the U.S. and Israel. I don't think it's a situation of the enemy of the enemy is my friend, especially since the West and Israel haven't done much besides sanctions to help them.

Yeah, I doubt Israel's security will be affected all that much by the outcome. It could even get worse...

Conley
08-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I doubt Israel's security will be affected all that much by the outcome. It could even get worse...

Yes, I think all of this instability is bad for their security, plus any time there are refugees it makes the surrounding borders a problem. There's not much of a border between the two I don't think, but still...

Mister D
08-14-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes, I think all of this instability is bad for their security, plus any time there are refugees it makes the surrounding borders a problem. There's not much of a border between the two I don't think, but still...

What border there is is highly militarized so this could create serious difficulties. I guess for Israel it might be a devil you know sort of thing.

MMC
08-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah.....plus the Israeli's have put in new land mines and deployed more snipers to that border.

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-army-plants-mines-along-syria-border-085636592.html

SALEM (AP) — Israel's army is planting new land mines along its border with Syria in an attempt to dissuade protesters from rushing into the Golan Heights, a military magazine reported Friday.The preparations come as part of Israel's beefed-up measures ahead of rallies that Palestinians are planning to hold in September, the magazine Mahaneh reported.

Israel came under heavy international criticism when its troops opened fire on Syrians and Palestinians who broke through the fenced border into the Golan Heights during a June 5 demonstration. Around 20 protesters were killed. Israel worries that the planned September demonstrations in the West Bank could also see a new attempt to breach the Golan frontier.

The activities are intended to thicken landed mines and strengthen obstacles," said Maj. Ariel Iluz, according to the magazine."Combined with our military forces and snipers, these are supposed to delay or even prevent a lot of people from crossing the border," Iluz said.....snip~

Conley
08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Land mines...that's some seriously f'ed up shit. Thanks for the update MMC. What a hellhole.