PDA

View Full Version : D&D Next: Who's Playing?

Blackrook
12-04-2014, 07:14 PM
I've been playing D&D since 1983. We started with AD&D (now called first edition, though it wasn't), moved to 2nd edition, and then, after a long hiatus I got into 3rd edition, and 3.5.

WoC lost me when they published 4th edition. I was baffled that they took a game that worked, and tossed out everything good, and changed it to something else.

So I switched to Pathfinder, which is really a tweeking of 3.5, and some call it 3.75. And I thought that would be the end of it.

I was disgusted to learn that WoC was coming out with 5th edition. I was not ready to forgive them for 4th edition, and I thought they were just making a ploy to make more money.

But I am glad to report I was wrong. I picked up the Player's Handbook of D&D Next (5th Edition) and I fell in love.

The rules are like a throwback to the 1980's. Everything good about AD&D has been preserved, and all the crap that accumulated over the decades have been curtailed.

You can roll up a new character in an hour or so, and you don't need the help of a computer to track everything. That's what won me over. My Pathfinder games have grown so complex that I need my son's assistance just to run the game. I can no longer keep track of the NPC's and monster's many abilities, skills, feats, features, spells, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum.

In D&D Next, NPCs are simple and straightforward, and do not have all the feats and skills of a PC.

So, is anyone else playing?

Peter1469
12-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I haven't played since like 1987. Is it all computer based now?

Blackrook
12-04-2014, 08:54 PM
No, D&D Next is tabletop.

Peter1469
12-04-2014, 08:59 PM
I have not heard. I used the World of Grey Hawk and had the map on ply wood. It was a lot of fun.

Dark Mistress
12-05-2014, 12:08 AM
I will tag Cthulhu here. He is going to join a group here soon and he's pretty darn excited.

Cthulhu
12-05-2014, 01:54 PM
So a D&D game is starting somewhere?

*ears perk up*

Sent from my evil cell phone.

CreepyOldDude
12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I've been playing D&D since 1983. We started with AD&D (now called first edition, though it wasn't), moved to 2nd edition, and then, after a long hiatus I got into 3rd edition, and 3.5.

WoC lost me when they published 4th edition. I was baffled that they took a game that worked, and tossed out everything good, and changed it to something else.

So I switched to Pathfinder, which is really a tweeking of 3.5, and some call it 3.75. And I thought that would be the end of it.

I was disgusted to learn that WoC was coming out with 5th edition. I was not ready to forgive them for 4th edition, and I thought they were just making a ploy to make more money.

But I am glad to report I was wrong. I picked up the Player's Handbook of D&D Next (5th Edition) and I fell in love.

The rules are like a throwback to the 1980's. Everything good about AD&D has been preserved, and all the crap that accumulated over the decades have been curtailed.

You can roll up a new character in an hour or so, and you don't need the help of a computer to track everything. That's what won me over. My Pathfinder games have grown so complex that I need my son's assistance just to run the game. I can no longer keep track of the NPC's and monster's many abilities, skills, feats, features, spells, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum.

In D&D Next, NPCs are simple and straightforward, and do not have all the feats and skills of a PC.

So, is anyone else playing?

I haven't played since the mid-90s. My friends and I were using the AD&D manuals from the 80s. When I started, it was the Basic D&D, with the Greyhawk and Blackmoor supplements. I started in 76. I switched to AD&D in 81. I had all the AD&D manuals.

9793 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Deities_%26_Demigods_(front_cover%2C_first_edition ).jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/MonsterManual-1stEdAD%26D-Cover.jpg

In 97, some asshole broke into my car, and stole my original Dungeon Masters Guide, my original Deities and Demigods (I had one of the one's that had the Elric mythos, whithout the nod to Chaosium), and my original Monster Manual.

I was pissed, but not much I could do.

I got into Magic, The Gathering not long after that.

Dragonborn Herald
03-18-2015, 05:51 PM
I've been playing D&D since 1977, I stopped at the d20 system.

First and second will always be my favorite, but I do view the d20 as a superior system.

Brett Nortje
03-18-2015, 07:47 PM

First and second will always be my favorite, but I do view the d20 as a superior system.

Did you like know that the illuminazis made the second edition of dungeons and dragons, and, the second edition of vampire? hell, they made the second edition of shadow run too!

Cthulhu
03-18-2015, 07:59 PM

They totally dripped the ball with 4th edition. I think they are on 5th presently.

Sent from my evil kitten eating cell phone.

Dragonborn Herald
03-19-2015, 02:19 AM
The 5th Edition is called D&D Next.

Peter1469
03-19-2015, 02:28 AM
I haven't followed it since AD&D.

Archer0915
05-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Getting things ready to start playing it with my sons.

I have stuff ranging from original Gygax to 2nd edition with a couple of other items thrown in.

I am going to try and use heroscape miniatures to get the boys into it.

McCool
07-04-2015, 07:25 PM

So, is anyone else playing? I would certainly be playing if I wasn't so completely wrapped up in my little family. I really like that the game has gone retro, as that's the period I got my start with D&D.

OGIS
07-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Wow, that brings back memories.

Now that I'm retired, I've toyed with the idea of starting up a D&D game in my Senior complex.

OGIS
07-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Getting things ready to start playing it with my sons.

I have stuff ranging from original Gygax to 2nd edition with a couple of other items thrown in.

I am going to try and use heroscape miniatures to get the boys into it.

You realize, of course, that Satan will have their souls? At least according to my born-again evangelical halfwit neighbor.

McCool
07-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Wow, that brings back memories.

Now that I'm retired, I've toyed with the idea of starting up a D&D game in my Senior complex. lol. I'd be all over that! :)