PDA

View Full Version : Economic Freedom in 60 Seconds

Chris
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Which do you choose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=66PZv7Vtw3I

gophangover
06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
What a crock of sh it! It's not freedom when it's all put on the credit card. $15 trillion debt is enslaving us all!

Chris
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
What a crock of sh it! It's not freedom when it's all put on the credit card. $15 trillion debt is enslaving us all!

Well exactly. That's one reason the US is sinking. So how's that a crock?

MMC
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I guess that figure for the 1% for the World is what must really ding liberals and progressives.....huh? :grin:

Chris
06-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Given that they are likely in the 1%.

MMC
06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Given that they are likely in the 1%.

34k really isnt a lot either.....is it? I don't think they would like to compare the Citizen of the World in that aspect, do you? I mean not with what they want Americans to believe about the 1%.

Chris
06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I think most liberals are for taxing the other guy, from a world view they too are the other guy.

Chris
06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
The video and the notion the US is in the top 1% is captured well in this graph from Gregory Clark's A Farewell to Alms.

http://i.snag.gy/A9bCJ.jpg

The great divergence is between those who took the road to economic freedom and those who have not.

MMC
06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I think most liberals are for taxing the other guy, from a world view they too are the other guy.

Yeah on that big picture.....thats the stat to hit them with tho. Be quite interesting to hear their arguments.

MMC
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
What do you think about Noah's Book on the Great Divergence? You know he states the inequality began with the progressive era.

Chris
06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
What do you think about Noah's Book on the Great Divergence? You know he states the inequality began with the progressive era.

I'd say it did, with progressive intellectuals who talk about statistical groups that represent no one. Sowell's Intellectuals and Society looks at that, how progressives look at groups like the rich and the poor and how those statistical groups are diverging. Sowell points out that while that's true very few people stay in those groups over time but are economically mobile, and as such those groups mean very little, other than they fit progressive prejudices.

MMC
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I'd say it did, with progressive intellectuals who talk about statistical groups that represent no one. Sowell's Intellectuals and Society looks at that, how progressives look at groups like the rich and the poor and how those statistical groups are diverging. Sowell points out that while that's true very few people stay in those groups over time but are economically mobile, and as such those groups mean very little, other than they fit progressive prejudices.

He cites immigration as a problem yet in his solution he says to import skilled labor. I disagree with that completely. But I thought his idea for price controls with Colleges and Universities was a good idea.

Althought I doubt it would stop the divide from widening.

Chris
06-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Immigration can, especially illegals, can hurt the low end, unskilled jobs. Which state was it, Alabama, cracked down on that, and couldn't fill the jobs.

MMC
06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Immigration can, especially illegals, can hurt the low end, unskilled jobs. Which state was it, Alabama, cracked down on that, and couldn't fill the jobs.

Oh, it's not that they couldn't.....it's that they wouldn't. Now thats gets me to thinking as to why. For all the apparant reasons. I am not one into so much theory conspiracy. But one soemtimes has to wonder if someone has been behind the scenes and has pushing an agenda to split this Country.

Because i guarantee you.....they could have gave me the job to get them filled and I would not have failed.

Peter1469
06-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Did you totally miss the point of the video?

Peter1469
06-02-2012, 05:21 PM

And at that point the government can step in: there should be job centers located in Mexico that help employers identify employees who are bused to the work site and bused home once the job / season is over. No family comes with the employee. The employee gets paid prevailing US wages, not slave labor wages, and the employee does not get US entitlement program assistance.

Chris
06-02-2012, 05:27 PM
And at that point the government can step in: there should be job centers located in Mexico that help employers identify employees who are bused to the work site and bused home once the job / season is over. No family comes with the employee. The employee gets paid prevailing US wages, not slave labor wages, and the employee does not get US entitlement program assistance.

Who will determine wages, and how? Who will pay for that intervention?

Peter1469
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Who will determine wages, and how? Who will pay for that intervention?

Well, employers who are currently paying illegals very low wages won't get to chose, since they are currently choosing "slave wages." I think that all jurisdictions have minimum wage laws, so there is no need for anything new.

Chris
06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Well, employers who are currently paying illegals very low wages won't get to chose, since they are currently choosing "slave wages." I think that all jurisdictions have minimum wage laws, so there is no need for anything new.

Employers will just pass the costs on to consumers.

Minimum wage laws, generally determined by what some elite decide is fair, kill jobs and also raise costs.

Administration of your plan will be paid by taxpayers.

Peter1469
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Employers will just pass the costs on to consumers.

Minimum wage laws, generally determined by what some elite decide is fair, kill jobs and also raise costs.

Administration of your plan will be paid by taxpayers.

Yes they will.

Under the current scheme, employers exploit illegals with slave wages so that you can save a buck. And American citizens can't compete (or won't compete) so they are out of luck too. But hey, you get your fruit for real cheap.

Chris
06-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Yes they will.

Under the current scheme, employers exploit illegals with slave wages so that you can save a buck. And American citizens can't compete (or won't compete) so they are out of luck too. But hey, you get your fruit for real cheap.

employers exploit illegals with slave wages

That's your subjective evaluation. So don't work for that. But it's not the subjective evaluations of employees and employers. Why do you you feel this need to impose your subjectivity on theirs?

you can save a buck

"you" being the American consumers you propose to help with your proposed policy.