PDA

View Full Version : Outraged over 'Grand Theft Auto' Ban, Aussie Gamers Petition to Ban the Bible

Captain Obvious
12-05-2014, 10:53 AM
What happened to that CAPUSAFAN kid who's life revolved around video games, did he get perma banned or something?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/outraged-grand-theft-auto-ban-754136

“This misogynistic book makes a game of horrific violence against women,” reads the online petition Australian gamers, furious over the decision by local retailers to ban a popular violent video game, have started a petition to ban the Bible.

The petition, posted Dec. 4 on Change.org (https://www.change.org/p/target-withdraw-the-holy-bible-this-sickening-book-encourages-readers-to-commit-sexual-violence-and-kill-women/share?just_signed=true), has already attracted more than 20,000 signatures. In an obvious parody of arguments in favor of banning video games, the petition claims the Bible “encourages readers to murder woman for entertainment” by “commit(ting) sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'god' points.” It calls on Australian retailers, including Target, to pull the holy book from their shelves.

Polecat
12-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Australian folks are the descendents of Europe's rejects. They prove it on a regular basis.

Captain Obvious
12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Australian folks are the descendents of Europe's rejects. They prove it on a regular basis.

I think you're kinda right, Europe's Island of Misfit Toys, but how funny would it be if these kids pulled it off?

I hope they do actually.

Polecat
12-05-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't imagine they sell too many Bibles there to begin with.

Green Arrow
12-05-2014, 11:26 AM
To my knowledge he wasn't banned, he probably just got bored of having nearly the whole forum ignore him. Good riddance.

Blackrook
12-05-2014, 10:50 PM
The guys who made "Grand Theft Auto" intended to make it as offensive as possible and they accomplished that end. The game has something to piss off every political, religious and minority group. I'm sure they would be quite pleased to learn they've been "banned" from major retail stores. That will increase sales at the stores who still carry it.

IMPress Polly
12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
The formula works pretty well, Blackrook, as each new GTA installment invariably becomes the top-selling game of all time very quickly upon its release. I dislike that approach to realizing commercial success if people hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I too think this response is petty and childish enough to be...well the GTA fan base. :wink: (I suppose playing GTA is a religious experience for somebody. :laugh:) Seriously, two retailers stop selling a particular game you like and it's time to have a little man-boy hissy fit and make it into a national issue? It's not as if there aren't still plenty of other retailers both in Australia and elsewhere that aren't perfectly willing to sell the game or as if the people signing this petition don't already own it anyway. What exactly is the issue here then? That all retailers MUST sell this particular game whether they want to or not? Grow up, guys.

Max Rockatansky
12-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I think you're kinda right, Europe's Island of Misfit Toys, but how funny would it be if these kids pulled it off?

I hope they do actually.

What those kids are too stupid to realize is that, while there are restrictions on government, a private retailer shouldn't be required to sell anything. In the US where the 2nd Amendment is a right, not all stores carry guns. If we can't force all retailers to sell guns, who is stupid enough to think we can force them to sell a video game?