PDA

View Full Version : Mumia versus the West Memphis Three

Alyosha
12-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I am usually pelted by liberals for saying this but based on all the evidence I've read the West Memphis Three are guilty and are now free people thanks to Eddie Vedder, Johnny Depp, Natalie Maines, and (gulp) Peter Jackson pouring money into their defense so that they could have the world's best attorneys take over their case and come up with bullshit theories like "snapping turtles ate off the penises".

Anyway a bit about the West Memphis Three (granted using a site that agrees with me but since they took an Alford Plea these facts are still undisputed in court: http://wm3truth.com/the-west-memphis-three-were-guilty/

The Case Against the West Memphis Three
The West Memphis Three were guilty.

On May 5, 1993, Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley and Jason Baldwin (ages 18, 17 & 16 at the time) killed Michael Moore,
Steve Branch and Christopher Byers (all age 8). They beat them with fists, then beat them sticks, hogtied them, sexually assaulted them, tortured Branch and Byers with a knife, cut off Byers’ genitals, then dumped their bodies in a ditch.

Maybe you watched Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills and came away convinced that the WM3 were victims of a gross miscarriage of justice. Maybe you then read Devil’s Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt, or browsed some “Free the WM3″ websites, or heard a celebrity proclaiming the WM3′s innocence, or saw a TV documentary proclaiming their innocence, and became further convinced.

Guess what, you’ve been lied to. You’ve been scammed. Paradise Lost is an outstanding piece of propaganda — turning thugs who raped, tortured and killed second-graders into beloved folk heroes is no mean feat — but it’s not an accurate account of the case. All the pro-WM3 books, websites, TV shows and celebrity testimonials just rehash Paradise Lost‘s original misinformation.

The standard pro-WM3 story goes: Police couldn’t find the real killers, so they decided to frame some local weird kids. Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley were targeted because they looked different, dressed in black, listened to heavy metal music and read Stephen King novels. The cops bullied a mentally retarded kid into making a false confession. There was no evidence tying Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley to the crime. The Bible Belt community was swept up in “Satanic panic”, and the investigation and trial were a modern-day witch hunt.

These assholes are now free and walking around while, as Matalese put it, the bodies of the kids are molding in their graves.

There was less evidence to convict Mumia Jamal than there was these guys, but they had good attorneys, Johnny Depp on their side, and millions behind them.

They are now out there selling books and Echols is allegedly in The Hobbit movie.

As to Mumia, the gun found on him did not match and could not even fire the type of bullets that killed Faulkner, the police did not tests on the gun to see if had been used, 15 of the 35 cops who collected evidence where later jailed themselves for evidence tampering...I mean, I have a hard time with that one. Had this happened ten years ago instead of 1981 I think that case would be very different and it's possible the other man would have been arrested instead of Mumia, but...people can believe what they want.

My point is that with less evidence, Mumia was convicted, and with more evidence but better lawyers these creepy child killers were set free.

The Xl
12-05-2014, 12:51 PM
The system is about money and to a lesser extent, race.

God bless you for doing pro bono work Al, you're a legitimate hero for that, but the system itself has zero legitimacy and is a total farce, a joke.

Alyosha
12-05-2014, 12:55 PM
The system is about money and to a lesser extent, race.

God bless you for doing pro bono work Al, you're a legitimate hero for that, but the system itself has zero legitimacy and is a total farce, a joke.

I'm actually applying to legal aide now. I looked at what they're paid and I'm taking a $360 an hour pay cut, but I realized recently why I went into the law in the first place.

Ima gonna be Matlock!

Matty
12-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I am eating a pork loin sandwich, with poupon.pickles, lettuce and tomatoe. Pork loin was cooked to perfect delectable ness on my green egg! :)

Matty
12-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Muima is guilty as hell. Every allele has failed.

Matty
12-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Reese Witherspoon made a movie about the West Memphis Three. Alyosha. Have you seen it?

Green Arrow
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree.

Alyosha
12-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Reese Witherspoon made a movie about the West Memphis Three. @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863). Have you seen it?

No, but they're guilty. I've been studying this case for over a year.

I'm sure she's on the pro-innocence side.

momsapplepie
12-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Aloysha, you may feel the w. Memphis 3 were guilty, but the distinct lack of witnesses and physical evidence is what the court looks at, not emotions.

Alyosha
12-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Aloysha, you may feel the w. Memphis 3 were guilty, but the distinct lack of witnesses and physical evidence is what the court looks at, not emotions.

The court decided they were guilty. The Alford Plea is still a guilty plea. The prosecutor says they're guilty, but that their attorneys had millions to put to swaying a new jury so he accepted an Alford.

I've been through the evidence and they are guilty, and its not emotions on my side. I thought they were innocent, too, when I watched the film. Then I downloaded the case transcripts, evidence files, and compared it to the website that their sponsors put up to "prove" their innocence.

DNA still places Echols at the scene. Misskelley continued even while in prison to tell people he killed them. The calls Echols made that allegedly exonerated him to "Eddie Vedder" actually took place (look at phone records) with enough time to still kill the kids.

They're guilty and until a new trial happens to prove otherwise, the verdict and evidence remain.

Alyosha
12-05-2014, 01:58 PM
For anyone curious: The Alford Plea is a rarely used plea that enables a defendant to maintain publicly his or her own innocence while accepting a guilty verdict and that the state has enough evidence to convict them of that crime.

So, it's a hodge-podge plea.

Peter1469
12-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I am eating a pork loin sandwich, with poupon.pickles, lettuce and tomatoe. Pork loin was cooked to perfect delectable ness on my green egg! :)

Make one for me. :smiley: