PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish?

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
I was just talking to Pol about the Mississippi Crawfish Festival and was wondering if it's a regional thing or if other folks like them?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlNAaG4WbHiuPjNrKKVbOsowOsnfy-UKtBGY7IgiZ0dc-Ds4va

I could eat my weight in them.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 09:31 PM
My husband was working in Tenn...around the Pickwick Dam area several years ago. I kept seeing all these signs advertising crawfish. I go bopping into the store and ask for 10 lbs (just enough for 2). The man looked at me kinda funny and asked what was I fishing for. Fishing? He showed me some tiny little critters about the size of a bug. Turns out, they don't eat 'em in Tenn...they use baby crawfish to catch fish. oh well....

ace's n 8's
12-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I was just talking to Pol about the Mississippi Crawfish Festival and was wondering if it's a regional thing or if other folks like them?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlNAaG4WbHiuPjNrKKVbOsowOsnfy-UKtBGY7IgiZ0dc-Ds4va

I could eat my weight in them.I only eat them while I am in Alabama,, I wont eat them here in Ohio.

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:37 PM

You know those things walk backwards?

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
I worked for a company that had a crawfish party every year for customers and employees. We would hire a catering company from Lafayette, LA to bring 5,000 lbs of crawfish, a couple thousand pounds of shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes & a zydeco band. We hired a beer company to keep 4 kegs going all day. Now that is a party!

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
They scream when you put them in the boiling water too. I've heard it.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Out side of the Gulf region you won't get crawfish like that. Maybe a few mixed in with pasta or gumbo, but that is it.

A crawfish boil is where its at!

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 09:40 PM
They scream when you put them in the boiling water too. I've heard it. Damn right they do!

ace's n 8's
12-13-2014, 09:42 PM
They scream when you put them in the boiling water too. I've heard it.So do lobster.

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:42 PM
$#@! right they do!

We were doing a big seafood thing for Christmas and our daughter showed up with a box.ful of them. It made me sad!

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:46 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FelG8tELa5Q

Peter1469
We were doing a big seafood thing for Christmas and our daughter showed up with a box.ful of them. It made me sad!

Did they taste good? :smiley:

Codename Section
I don't care if they scream and holler. I will toss them in hot water so fast they won't notice they're dead. I love some crawfish.
Mr. Freeze why can't you grow some of them with your shrimp? I need some good food.

Oh Lordy Jesus, I can taste it now. With the right amount of spice and sucking the juice out! I thank God I was born on the Gulf Coast we have the best food in the country.

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Did they taste good? :smiley:

I don't know. I didn't eat any. We were in St. Augustine visiting our son and we ordered a huge tray of steamed seafood. My husband talked our son into sucking out the brain of a crawfish. ( Hubby is a shit stirrer.). So, Dennis did and turned a couple of funny shades of green. I laughed my butt off! :)

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't know. I didn't eat any. We were in St. Augustine visiting our son and we ordered a huge tray of steamed seafood. My husband talked our son into sucking out the brain of a crawfish. ( Hubby is a shit stirrer.). So, Dennis did and turned a couple of funny shades of green. I laughed my butt off! :)

If they are cooked right 99% of what comes out of the head is the water it was cooked in- which is heavy in salt and cayenne pepper. The brains are like a drop.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Its so fucking cold up here. I'm homesick. Again. I hate this weather. I hate the bad food. The people here suck. I wanna go home.

:(

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Its so fucking cold up here. I'm homesick. Again. I hate this weather. I hate the bad food. The people here suck. I wanna go home.

It is like 40 degrees here. And sunny for a change. Up to 50 tomorrow.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 09:55 PM
It is like 40 degrees here. And sunny for a change. Up to 50 tomorrow.

It's in the 30's where I'm at and rainy-ish. Cold rain is the worst. Animal sent me out to wait for something so I'm just sitting here as usual freezing and hungry.

I'm 6 ft 2. I need to eat.

Matty
12-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Its so $#@!ing cold up here. I'm homesick. Again. I hate this weather. I hate the bad food. The people here suck. I wanna go home.

Go Sweetie!

ace's n 8's
12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Its so $#@!ing cold up here. I'm homesick. Again. I hate this weather. I hate the bad food. The people here suck. I wanna go home.

:(WHA. . . WHA. . . :cool2:

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Matalese

I love you, you know that? ((hugs))

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:00 PM
It's in the 30's where I'm at and rainy-ish. Cold rain is the worst. Animal sent me out to wait for something so I'm just sitting here as usual freezing and hungry.

I'm 6 ft 2. I need to eat.

I am almost finished with home made chicken soup. Crock pot. I guess it will be ready in 10 minutes. :smiley:

8 hours of watching it cook....

Matty
12-13-2014, 10:01 PM
It was 68 Here today. 51 right now.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 10:02 PM
I actually had an easier time overseas at Christmas even though it was all dry and Muslim-y because I wasn't even close to home. The first time I was stationed in the US and saw snowfall at Christmas (not a lot because well it's Virginia, it comes down then melts) was at Quantico and I thought it was like something out of a movie. I got so excited I walked out in it and sat on a bench.

Still nothing like the outdoor parties at Christmas and New Years back home. Southern Christmas is the best Christmas.

Matty
12-13-2014, 10:02 PM
@Matalese (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=796)

I love you, you know that? ((hugs))

I wish i really was Yer grandma!

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:03 PM
50 here...upper 60's tomorrow. I'm going through withdrawal! no college games to watch today!

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I actually had an easier time overseas at Christmas even though it was all dry and Muslim-y because I wasn't even close to home. The first time I was stationed in the US and saw snowfall at Christmas (not a lot because well it's Virginia, it comes down then melts) was at Quantico and I thought it was like something out of a movie. I got so excited I walked out in it and sat on a bench.

Still nothing like the outdoor parties at Christmas and New Years back home. Southern Christmas is the best Christmas.

doesn't matter where we are...we never shake the southern part of us. I get antsy if I'm away from the Gulf too long...I need that salt air!

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I am almost finished with home made chicken soup. Crock pot. I guess it will be ready in 10 minutes. :smiley:

8 hours of watching it cook....

watching it ain't a problem...its smelling it that drives me nuts! When I cook something like that (that I can smell) my stomach is growling so loud it's embarassing!

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I have been overseas for big holidays a lot. Never really bothered me.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 10:08 PM
doesn't matter where we are...we never shake the southern part of us. I get antsy if I'm away from the Gulf too long...I need that salt air!

It's just hard to go home because then I want to move home and I can't...unfortunately. I can't leave the guys and the girl. I wish they all wanted to live down there. It would make it easier.

I do like the trees in VA, though. Lots of real pretty trees and the hills are nice.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:09 PM
It's just hard to go home because then I want to move home and I can't...unfortunately. I can't leave the guys and the girl. I wish they all wanted to live down there. It would make it easier.

I do like the trees in VA, though. Lots of real pretty trees and the hills are nice.

It is a nice area you got in VA.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:10 PM
if it has trees, you can make it! I lived in El Paso for a few years & nearly went nuts! I think the dogs had to make appointments with the few trees in the area!

Redrose
12-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Never saw them up North. I tried them once in Mississippi, they were OK, nothing I'd crave. I like all shellfish, but the person who made them for us insisted I suck the heads, I didn't care for them. A good gumbo or jambalaya is fantastic.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:13 PM
if it has trees, you can make it! I lived in El Paso for a few years & nearly went nuts! I think the dogs had to make appointments with the few trees in the area!

Strangely I enjoy the desert. Luckily for me considering the army.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 10:17 PM
I like the desert at night. We had a, uhhhh, "vacation" in Egypt :wink: all of us and when we were done "sightseeing" we decided to sightsee and went to the Great Pyramids at night. They throw a light on them and I don't know it was just real moving staring at them in the middle of winter with the palms sort of on one side and I can't describe it. It was chilly like deserts get but not cold. We just sat on the sand and stared.

Nice night.

You know Iraq is actually real nice when you think about it, well parts of it.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:20 PM
I want to go back to Egypt. Maybe Iraq someday.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Never saw them up North. I tried them once in Mississippi, they were OK, nothing I'd crave. I like all shellfish, but the person who made them for us insisted I suck the heads, I didn't care for them. A good gumbo or jambalaya is fantastic.

sucking the heads is a trick that gets played on everyone who first tries them. Like Peter said, its really mostly just the liquid they are boiled in so its very spicy. I don't like that much spice in one gulp. I love them...the corn, potatoes & sausage cooked with them are really good. Sop some french bread in the juice with a little melted butter...cold beer or wine....heaven! (ya have to listen to zydeco music while eating 'em for the complete package!)

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 10:26 PM
sucking the heads is a trick that gets played on everyone who first tries them. Like Peter said, its really mostly just the liquid they are boiled in so its very spicy. I don't like that much spice in one gulp. I love them...the corn, potatoes & sausage cooked with them are really good. Sop some french bread in the juice with a little melted butter...cold beer or wine....heaven! (ya have to listen to zydeco music while eating 'em for the complete package!)

I am so hungry now and all I got is a Chipotle within walking distance of where they have me sitting. I really could eat a table of them and the corn...french bread...andouille sausage...dammit yall. I'm hungry!

Who's on King Cake duty?

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1S-zW5QlO0

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 10:31 PM
I am so hungry now and all I got is a Chipotle within walking distance of where they have me sitting. I really could eat a table of them and the corn...french bread...andouille sausage...dammit yall. I'm hungry!

Who's on King Cake duty?

I'll send ya one as soon as I see one in the store! (you didn't think I could bake one...did ya?) I'll even leave the baby out of it!

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:00 PM
http://barbarabakes.com/wp-content/upLoads/2011/03/King-Cake-1.jpg

laissez les bons temps rouler

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:01 PM
I want to go back to Egypt. Maybe Iraq someday.

I have wanted to see the Pyramids my entire adult life. Doesn't look like I will get there now. I have always been fascinated with anything Egyptian.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:01 PM
The baby is supposed to be hiding.... :smiley:

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:02 PM
I have wanted to see the Pyramids my entire adult life. Doesn't look like I will get there now. I have always been fascinated with anything Egyptian.

Maybe you lived there in a prior life.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:03 PM
The baby is supposed to be hiding.... :smiley:

When my mama makes it she still stuffs it in the baby. Albertsons stopped doing that when I was in middle school because of choking hazards.

Matty
12-13-2014, 11:05 PM

I was was lucky enough to make the trip! They were awesome. So huge! And, the Baklava,oh the baklava

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:06 PM
When my mama makes it she still stuffs it in the baby. Albertsons stopped doing that when I was in middle school because of choking hazards.

I still get them with the baby on the inside. I do warn everyone around here about it though. Back home no warning was needed.

PolWatch
I didn't know baklava was Egyptian. I do know that I love that stuff! yum!

Redrose
http://barbarabakes.com/wp-content/upLoads/2011/03/King-Cake-1.jpg

laissez les bons temps rouler

We did at Mardi Gras about 15 years ago.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:08 PM
crawfish, king cakes...I'm ready for Mardi Gras! (someone else can have the moonpies)

Peter1469

It is Turkish, and spread through the Middle East and North Africa.

Redrose

It's Greek. All the Greek bakeries make it in Tarpon Spings, Fl. a big Greek community.

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:09 PM
It's Greek. All the Greek bakeries make it in Taeepon Spings, Fl. a big Greek community.

The Turks think it is theirs! :smiley:

They both claim it, and it likely was from the Byzantine Empire.

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:12 PM
The Turks think it is theirs! :smiley:

They do, but my Greek friend will rassle you to the floor if you ever say it's not Greek. It's a regional pastry I believe, but the Greeks have monopolozed it in their bakeries. I love it, it's one of the few decadent pastries I eat, (Italian pastries too). It is very fattening.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:13 PM
I'll claim it! I tried to make it once...once was enough! I forget how many layers they have...but it's a bunch!

Matty
12-13-2014, 11:15 PM
It's Greek. All the Greek bakeries make it in Tarpon Spings, Fl. a big Greek community.

I dunno, I ate it in Cairo. I turned to my husband and said, " that's the best damn pecan pie I ever ate"

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:16 PM
They do, but my Greek friend will rassle you to the floor if you ever say it's not Greek. It's a regional pastry I believe, but the Greeks have monopolozed it in their bakeries. I love it, it's one of the few decadent pastries I eat, (Italian pastries too). It is very fattening.

I have had it in Istanbul. And the recipe was probably perfected there when it was called Constantinople. :smiley:

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:17 PM
The Turks make theirs with pistachio and the Greeks with walnuts I think. I don't know I just know it's good.

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I'll claim it! I tried to make it once...once was enough! I forget how many layers they have...but it's a bunch!

I tried to make it once too. All the right ingredients, philo dough just the right temperature, butter, honey, nuts, etc. It never cut into triagles, sort of morphed back into one big sticky thing. We ate it though, it still tasted great, but was soooooo messy. Don't know what I did wrong. It cost a lot too.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:20 PM
I tried to make it once too. All the right ingredients, philo dough just the right temperature, butter, honey, nuts, etc. It never cut into triagles, sort of morphed back into one big sticky thing. We ate it though, it still tasted great, but was soooooo messy. Don't know what I did wrong. It cost a lot too.

Mine did the same thing...I just marked it down as a learning experience...I learned not to try it again!

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:20 PM
I have had it in Istanbul. And the recipe was probably perfected there when it was called Constantinople. :smiley:

Shush!!!! My Greek friend may see this.

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Mine did the same thing...I just marked it down as a learning experience...I learned not to try it again!

My Greek friend really didn't want to share all the secrets of the trade, her family owns a Greek deli, bakery and restaurant. She did hint that they refrigerate it "COLD" not frozen, but cold, then slice it in sections.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:25 PM
all the food talk made me hungry...but I'm gonna have to settle for a Little Debbie danish...better than nuttin, I reckon

Redrose
12-13-2014, 11:27 PM
all the food talk made me hungry...but I'm gonna have to settle for a Little Debbie danish...better than nuttin, I reckon

I made biscotti. Cranberry, walnut. Yum!!!

Codename Section
Whole Foods sells crawfish tails. I'm going to make me some etouffee for Christmas. Al's mom said we can only eat fish so that's fish sorta.

http://www.cajuntreats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Crawfish-Etouffee.jpg

Common
Ive eaten them, I like them but they are too much trouble and it takes too long to get enough of them :)

Mister D
12-13-2014, 11:28 PM

I'm going down there in April. I want crawfish.

Mister D
12-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Ive eaten them, I like them but they are too much trouble and it takes too long to get enough of them :)

It's not really a meal, IMO. A messy snack. :smiley:

Peter1469
12-13-2014, 11:32 PM

That is part of it. It is supposed to be an afternoon long event with friends and family. :smiley: In the south food is so much more than eating.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:34 PM
That is part of it. It is supposed to be an afternoon long event with friends and family. :smiley: In the south food is so much more than eating.

Amen.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:34 PM
crawfish, shrimp, corn, potatoes, sausage...french bread & cold beer. Sit on the porch & eat & talk for hours. heaven!

Mister D
12-13-2014, 11:36 PM

It's like that with Italians too.

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:40 PM
crawfish, shrimp, corn, potatoes, sausage...french bread & cold beer. Sit on the porch & eat & talk for hours. heaven!

I used to love those late spring evenings down south when Granny had us over on Saturday and we'd be eating and listening to the frogs hollerin. I remember as a teenager I was just too cool for everything, but I still never turned down a meal with family. I'd sit on her picnic table out back with everybody and just relax and listen to the frogs.

Then we'd leave and I'd go fixin' to get myself into trouble. :)

Mister D
12-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I used to love those late spring evenings down south when Granny had us over on Saturday and we'd be eating and listening to the frogs hollerin. I remember as a teenager I was just too cool for everything, but I still never turned down a meal with family. I'd sit on her picnic table out back with everybody and just relax and listen to the frogs.

Then we'd leave and I'd go fixin' to get myself into trouble. :)

See, I can't do that. Even as a younger man once I sat down to eat and drink that was it.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:42 PM
In the spring & summer people know to walk to the back of our house 'cause we are always on the porch. You have to talk loud so you can hear each other over those little bitty green frogs. How can something so little be so loud?

Matty
12-13-2014, 11:43 PM
What kind of sausage? Can you get your hands on Registers sausage? Best in Florida.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:45 PM
What kind of sausage? Can you get your hands on Registers sausage? Best in Florida.

I've never tried Registers...I use Conecuh sausage...its made locally. I use it in all my seafood boils, eat for breakfast...good stuff!

Mister D
12-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Andouille is sooo good.

Matty
12-13-2014, 11:48 PM
I've never tried Registers...I use Conecuh sausage...its made locally. I use it in all my seafood boils, eat for breakfast...good stuff!

Same here, registers is made in Cottondale!

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:48 PM
We have a local market that sells green onion sausage that is really good. It's not real spicy, just a good sage flavor with fresh green onions in it. I have grilled it and also used it in stuffed peppers with jasmine rice...yum!

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:50 PM
I like the local stuff much more than something shipped from who-knows-where!

Codename Section
12-13-2014, 11:54 PM
There's this place back home, a real "class establishment"--you know a local staple on the marina, it's called Huck's Cove now. This place:

http://www.huckscove.com/

This superfine place was where people'd take their prom date. Living in Virgina which is, well, a lot wealthier I look at where high school students there take people or what's considered classy and I think about this place and it's blackened gator tail.

http://www.huckscove.com/images/2007/02.jpg

Common
12-13-2014, 11:55 PM
It's not really a meal, IMO. A messy snack. :smiley:

Put in that perspective yes it is. I like them, id rather eat lobster tails though.

When I was a kid italians used to eat snails. I know how to say it in italian but cant spell it, so ill wing it.
bob ba loosh thats how its pronounced, the snails do not come from the USA, they dont have them here, they come in small crates packed in wet something that looks like seaweed.

PolWatch
12-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Looks like a nice place. I lived in Pearl River and went to a 'club' with my brother in a pirogue...you couldn't get to it any other way!

sachem
12-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Damn right they do!Yuck.

Redrose
12-14-2014, 01:45 AM
Put in that perspective yes it is. I like them, id rather eat lobster tails though.

When I was a kid italians used to eat snails. I know how to say it in italian but cant spell it, so ill wing it.
bob ba loosh thats how its pronounced, the snails do not come from the USA, they dont have them here, they come in small crates packed in wet something that looks like seaweed.

That's pretty good, babluche, we would say or just "pins" because we'd use a pin to get them out of their shell. They are periwinkles. Cooked in garlic and oil.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 02:04 AM

They look like a lot of work for an itty bitty amount of meat.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 02:17 AM
It's really Greek, but there is a large Greek population in Egypt.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 02:19 AM
It's soaked in honey. Too sweet for me, but for those who like sweet, it's a real treat.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 02:34 AM

Babbaluci is Sicilian slang for snails.

Green Arrow
12-14-2014, 05:14 AM
PolWatch, Codename Section, how do crawdads taste in comparison to crab? I've had crab.

strollingbonez
12-14-2014, 05:22 AM
sucking on the heads of mudbugs...who can resist

strollingbonez
12-14-2014, 05:23 AM
nothing like crab....its a unique taste

donttread
12-14-2014, 08:50 AM

In the north we pretty much use them for fish bait, then eat the fish

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 08:51 AM
@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099), @Codename Section (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=866), how do crawdads taste in comparison to crab? I've had crab.

its more like lobster than crab...with a little shrimp flavor. They are not tender like shrimp or crab meat. I like them spicy enough that your lips burn after eating a pound or two...which is why cold beer is a requirement for appreciation! :wink:

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Escargots (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Escargots-Bourguignonne-Snails-in-Garlic-Herb-Butter). Yummy.

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 09:10 AM
That's pretty good, babluche, we would say or just "pins" because we'd use a pin to get them out of their shell. They are periwinkles. Cooked in garlic and oil.

Periwinkles are sea snails. Very good. When I was in Brittany, they were all over the tide line on the coast.

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 09:22 AM
@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099), @Codename Section (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=866), how do crawdads taste in comparison to crab? I've had crab.

Crabs, now you're talking! I grew up 45 minutes from the beach in southern Virginia in the tidewater/coastal area with tons of saltwater creeks. We'd take chicken carcass and put it in a trap and hang it off a creek bridge. You could catch a dozen or more before noon if some turd didn't steal your basket.

http://paleospirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_4940.jpg

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Crawfish are better.

Although Alaskan King crab is very tasty.

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Crawfish are better.

Although Alaskan King crab is very tasty.

We ate crawdads, too. I just prefer blue crab. It's sweet and if you get it same day pulled up its nice and salty naturally. I steam mine in beer with my own "Old Bay" spice mix that was my dad's recipe. Ask anyone who's had them and they'll tell you mine are the best.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I can do some damage to a pot of boiled crabs! I actually like them better than the crawfish. We fix a seafood boil using crabs instead of crawfish when the crawfish are not in season...potatoes, corn & sausage with them. yum!

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I can do some damage to a pot of boiled crabs! I actually like them better than the crawfish. We fix a seafood boil using crabs instead of crawfish when the crawfish are not in season...potatoes, corn & sausage with them. yum!

Hell yeh. My mom's family is old Virginia watermen from way back. They were actually some of the first people to come to the US. D2 (paperback) says I have a Welsh style accent. Anyway we have the large crab cookers that can do bushels at a time outdoors. With the propane heater and everything. We'd have parties in the summer with music and crabs. I can play badminton with a beer in one hand not that anyone cares. Crabs, macaroni salad, corn, potatoes, and beer. Hell that's some good shit right there.

Fuck winter!

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 09:57 AM
How can I forget oyster roasts or oyster stew

http://www.esvatourism.org/images/EAT/oyster_roast.jpg

I'm going home in a few days. We'll have some oyster stew with Christmas meal. That's some goodness there.
PolWatch I gotta get mom something what do you think of this Coach purse:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~260036833732/COACH+PEBBLED+LEATHER+SMALL+TURNLOCK+BOROUGH+BAG.j sp?navPath=Handbags_And_Accessories/Featured_Shop/DesignerHandbags&ZZ%3C%3EtP=4294922326%2B12%2B4294932900%2B42949422 81&fO=Department%3AHandbags_And_Accessories_featureds hop&ZZ_OPT=Y&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302217890&bmUID=kE_0iC.&ViewAll=&changeViewInd=

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I like oyster stew. Raw oysters too especially the briny ones.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 10:12 AM
The purse looks like a good choice to me! Its not too big but a good size for regular use....black is a good choice too. I don't know what style of dress she likes, but this would go well with anything from jeans to ultra lady-like.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 10:13 AM
I like oyster stew. Raw oysters too especially the briny ones.

oyster stew made with cream & butter! We have had a few cold snaps so the oysters should be getting fat & salty! now my stomach is growling....

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 10:23 AM
The purse looks like a good choice to me! Its not too big but a good size for regular use....black is a good choice too. I don't know what style of dress she likes, but this would go well with anything from jeans to ultra lady-like.

I thought about the red because she has a pair of red heels she likes to wear with jeans, but she's got more black shoes as I remember. She's a jeans mom except when she goes to church on Sunday and then she dresses up. Mostly she buys pink, yellow, and red dresses but I figure black will go with pink or yellow, right?

I sent her $500 last year for Christmas and she spent it on bills. This year I'm going to just pay the electric company and take the $500 and buy her something she wouldn't buy herself.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 10:33 AM
I thought about the red because she has a pair of red heels she likes to wear with jeans, but she's got more black shoes as I remember. She's a jeans mom except when she goes to church on Sunday and then she dresses up. Mostly she buys pink, yellow, and red dresses but I figure black will go with pink or yellow, right?

I sent her $500 last year for Christmas and she spent it on bills. This year I'm going to just pay the electric company and take the $500 and buy her something she wouldn't buy herself.

smart son! Mothers are always doing things like that....paying bills instead of buying something. The purse would be a lovely, extravagant gift that she would probably never buy for herself. Every time she uses it she will feel special...imho

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 10:36 AM
I love my mother. She puts up with me. She's 48 and a widow and I think it would be nice to see her get married again. If she's dating I wouldn't know. I hope she is, though. She's real pretty. Looks a lot like a slightly older Faith Hill. Codename is a dick and says that he'd date her. Dick.

Although I would date Al's mom. She's hot. Sorry, Al. She's hot. Where was I?

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 11:02 AM
I expect that she will love the purse.

Codename Section
12-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I love my mother. She puts up with me. She's 48 and a widow and I think it would be nice to see her get married again. If she's dating I wouldn't know. I hope she is, though. She's real pretty. Looks a lot like a slightly older Faith Hill. Codename is a dick and says that he'd date her. Dick.

Although I would date Al's mom. She's hot. Sorry, Al. She's hot. Where was I?

Your mom does look like Faith Hill. It's a problem, son.

Animal Mother
12-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Eat a dick.

Matty
12-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Did they ever feed you last night sweetie?

Matty
12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Well, that placement wasn't quite right.

Matty
12-14-2014, 11:11 AM
oyster stew made with cream & butter! We have had a few cold snaps so the oysters should be getting fat & salty! now my stomach is growling....

Put in a few finely diced potatoes and a little onion!

Codename Section
12-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Well, that placement wasn't quite right.

LOL! This is why we love you.

Did they ever feed you last night sweetie?

I ran and got a burrito. I'm on a sorta something right now but we'll be home by Wednesday and I'm going to cook everyone up a messa chicken and dumplins.

Codename Section
12-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Put in a few finely diced potatoes and a little onion!

I never had oyster stew until VA. If we had oysters they were raw and on the half shell with some hot sauce and lemon.

zelmo1234
12-14-2014, 01:13 PM

I know that this sounds funny but they get huge around Lake Superior and northern Huron, and they are a tasty treat.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
its more like lobster than crab...with a little shrimp flavor. They are not tender like shrimp or crab meat. I like them spicy enough that your lips burn after eating a pound or two...which is why cold beer is a requirement for appreciation! :wink:
That sound's like you're trying to kill the taste of them. :undecided:

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 03:01 PM
That sound's like you're trying to kill the taste of them. :undecided:

nah...they just go well together! kinda like Forrest's peas & carrots!

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 03:06 PM
nah...they just go well together! kinda like Forrest's peas & carrots!
Well, they'd still be too much trouble for me unless someone shelled them. I can't even be bothered with crab unless it's shelled and I don't really care for the flavor of lobster - vague flavor of potato skins.

Mister D
12-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Well, they'd still be too much trouble for me unless someone shelled them. I can't even be bothered with crab unless it's shelled and I don't really care for the flavor of lobster - vague flavor of potato skins.

Same here. I'd much rather have shrimp or crawfish.

Bob
12-14-2014, 03:27 PM

To me, they are a freshwater lobster. I happen to love lobster. We have small crayfish here and I have trapped them and eaten some. Problem is, they are pretty small. I think the problem here is too much work to get them. If I find them at a restaurant, I love them.

Ravens Fan
12-14-2014, 03:29 PM
We ate crawdads, too. I just prefer blue crab. It's sweet and if you get it same day pulled up its nice and salty naturally. I steam mine in beer with my own "Old Bay" spice mix that was my dad's recipe. Ask anyone who's had them and they'll tell you mine are the best.

I've steamed crabs with both Old Bay and J.O., I prefer the Old Bay personally. But then again, I am known to put Old Bay on many things (soups, potato and macaroni salads, corn, sandwiches...)

During the warmer months, I tend to eat crabs of some sort at least once a week. We also have a local Greek owned restaurant that makes back fin crab cakes the size of softballs that are broiled and out of this world good. I used to work right next door, and they knew me by name.

I've never really had the chance to try Crawfish yet, and I cant force myself to do oysters (reminds me of snot), or scallops, but I love me some crabs and shrimp.

Bob
12-14-2014, 03:31 PM

At Half Moon Bay, CA, I was served the only crab I was able to eat. I had flown the Piper Archer to the airport but got there a bit late. By the time I sat down with the group of pilots, all that was left was the crab dish. I was really worried it would taste terrible. Mom tried every trick when I was a kid to get me to like Crab. This one meal it actually did taste good. I am not sure what sort of crab it was. We have the native dungeness but Mom tried to feed me those. She did not, at first believe I hated crab. But it is a strong seaweed flavor to my pallette.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 06:53 PM
At Half Moon Bay, CA, I was served the only crab I was able to eat. I had flown the Piper Archer to the airport but got there a bit late. By the time I sat down with the group of pilots, all that was left was the crab dish. I was really worried it would taste terrible. Mom tried every trick when I was a kid to get me to like Crab. This one meal it actually did taste good. I am not sure what sort of crab it was. We have the native dungeness but Mom tried to feed me those. She did not, at first believe I hated crab. But it is a strong seaweed flavor to my pallette.
The most delicious soup I have ever eaten was in the caribbean. It was called callaloo, after the spinach like green that's used, along with plenty of crab, coconut milk and other ingredients that were a secret. I could have eaten a vat of the stuff, if I were allowed.

Bob
12-14-2014, 07:27 PM
The most delicious soup I have ever eaten was in the caribbean. It was called callaloo, after the spinach like green that's used, along with plenty of crab, coconut milk and other ingredients that were a secret. I could have eaten a vat of the stuff, if I were allowed.

I probably will never get to the Caribbean. Too bad too. I should have tried eastern crab when I was last there.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I probably will never get to the Caribbean. Too bad too. I should have tried eastern crab when I was last there.
Have you tried Alaskan King Crab? Now there's a crab with some meat in it.

Bob
12-14-2014, 07:54 PM

It might have been that crab at Half Moon Bay. I have to check my pilot logbook to see the date of the flight. That might help me figure out what crab it was. They are in seasons so I plan to check.

It was on May 6, 1980 so perhaps that can tell us what crab was in season.

King Crab is in the fall.

Dungeness also late fall, nov-dec.

I don't know now. Maybe from Florida?

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 07:56 PM
It might have been that crab at Half Moon Bay. I have to check my pilot logbook to see the date of the flight. That might help me figure out what crab it was. They are in seasons so I plan to check.

It was on May 6, 1980 so perhaps that can tell us what crab was in season.

King Crab is in the fall.

Dungeness also late fall, nov-dec.

I don't know now. Maybe from Florida?
You should try one of those buffets that offer the crab intact so you can see what kind it is. Can't mistaken the Alaskan King Crab, it's about a foot and a half long.

Bob
12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
You should try one of those buffets that offer the crab intact so you can see what kind it is. Can't mistaken the Alaskan King Crab, it's about a foot and a half long.

Allow me...
I was then a member of the California Real Estate Flyers. One had to be a Realtor to be in the group. A lot of the guests were invited and believe it or not, I still have my member roster from 1980.

Monthly all over Northern CA, the club held lunch meetings. The menus were already selected ahead of the meeting. The meeting I got to late had both crab salad as a main dish and I think a steak item. When we arrived, we could pick one or the other. But the others had got to all the beef I think it was.

I did a dumb trick that day. I recall it well. The restaurant had pilot parking but I did not know that. i parked a long ways from the restaurant at the normal airport parking and walked to the meeting. It would not have mattered as much but I was busy and by the time I picked up the Piper Warrior (I said Archer but it was not the Archer, per my log book) (both look alike. The Warrior has 160 hp vs the Archer at 180 hp and the Warrior is a bit slower), and flew the .7 hr one way, plus the walk, I was late.

Some crab expert might know what crab is in season early in May. I don't know.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Allow me...
I was then a member of the California Real Estate Flyers. One had to be a Realtor to be in the group. A lot of the guests were invited and believe it or not, I still have my member roster from 1980.

Monthly all over Northern CA, the club held lunch meetings. The menus were already selected ahead of the meeting. The meeting I got to late had both crab salad as a main dish and I think a steak item. When we arrived, we could pick one or the other. But the others had got to all the beef I think it was.

I did a dumb trick that day. I recall it well. The restaurant had pilot parking but I did not know that. i parked a long ways from the restaurant at the normal airport parking and walked to the meeting. It would not have mattered as much but I was busy and by the time I picked up the Piper Warrior (I said Archer but it was not the Archer, per my log book) (both look alike. The Warrior has 160 hp vs the Archer at 180 hp and the Warrior is a bit slower), and flew the .7 hr one way, plus the walk, I was late.

Some crab expert might know what crab is in season early in May. I don't know.
Based on this:http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/calendar.asp Dungeness crab is in season in California between December and July.

Bob
12-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Based on this:http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/calendar.asp Dungeness crab is in season in California between December and July.

Probably was Dungeness then. Must have been super fresh.

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 08:32 PM

That is my favorite crab. I could pass on the others.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
I've only had the Dungeness crab once...they are obscenely expensive here.

Mister D
12-14-2014, 08:40 PM
I've only had the Dungeness crab once...they are obscenely expensive here.

Same with shrimp up here. Can't even find crawfish.

Mister D
12-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Good shrimp, that is.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 08:42 PM
I've had Atlantic shrimp and was not impressed. I wondered if I had just eaten some that were inferior. Since you live in the area and agree...I was right! I'll have to tell my husband! He said I was picky!

Mister D
12-14-2014, 08:53 PM
I've had Atlantic shrimp and was not impressed. I wondered if I had just eaten some that were inferior. Since you live in the area and agree...I was right! I'll have to tell my husband! He said I was picky!

A lot of the stuff I see is farmed crapola from Vietnam or Thailand. no thanks.

Dr. Who
12-14-2014, 08:59 PM
That is my favorite crab. I could pass on the others.
If your going to eat it by itself, I agree. If it's going to be made into crab cakes, salad or soup, I'm not as fussy.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 09:02 PM

agreed! I don't eat the imported shrimp. First, it tastes nothing like shrimp. Second, I support the local industries and seafood is a major industry in our area. I don't know why anyone would eat that imported garbage when fresh, excellent shrimp are available. I would rather eat canned tuna!

Howey
12-14-2014, 09:08 PM

I love crawfish. First had them while going to school in New Orleans. The bar at the Holiday Inn I stayed at in Metairie (run by the mafia :) brought in a cooler full one day. Yummmm

One of my favorite dishes is a gumbo I make and on special occasions (like the coming NY Day) I'll throw a bunch in to go with my hopping john.

Howey
12-14-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm a coon ass at heart.

Howey
12-14-2014, 09:09 PM

blech

Howey
12-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I have been overseas for big holidays a lot. Never really bothered me.

I grew up in and was stationed in Germany. They put our Christmas to shame.

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
I think we owe our Christmas trees to Germany (by way of Prince Albert). I can't imagine Christmas without the trees!

del
12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
i've had a lobster license since i was 16

mmmmmmm

not real fond of shrimp, but i like crawfish and crabs

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 09:17 PM
agreed! I don't eat the imported shrimp. First, it tastes nothing like shrimp. Second, I support the local industries and seafood is a major industry in our area. I don't know why anyone would eat that imported garbage when fresh, excellent shrimp are available. I would rather eat canned tuna!

The imported shrimp is frozen. I don't like frozen shrimp. I grew up on same day shrimp.

Howey
12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I think we owe our Christmas trees to Germany (by way of Prince Albert). I can't imagine Christmas without the trees!

True story. One year my dad and all of us boys trundle in the cold to the center of the little village we lived in, Oberjosbach, and got a beautiful huge tree.

By the time I got home from the hospital after being treated for an unknown pine allergy, the old plastic tree was up and decorated. The beautiful real tree given to our neighbor.

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I grew up in and was stationed in Germany. They put our Christmas to shame.

They have cool Christmas seasons. A little different depending on the town. I like Salzburg the best. Nuremberg, then Cologne, then maybe Brussels. My army years were never in Europe.

Alyosha
12-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Maine shrimp are good. My husband's family were lobstahmen in Down East. I've had fresh lobster, shrimp, this stone crab they have, clams all steamed with potatoes and corn in a New England clam bake. Real tasty. I also love crabs and crawfish.

I prefer the Old Bay seasoning but I do like the cajun stuff, too.

Whoever brought up snails--good stuff there.

Peter1469
12-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Maine shrimp are good. My husband's family were lobstahmen in Down East. I've had fresh lobster, shrimp, this stone crab they have, clams all steamed with potatoes and corn in a New England clam bake. Real tasty. I also love crabs and crawfish.

I prefer the Old Bay seasoning but I do like the cajun stuff, too.

Whoever brought up snails--good stuff there.

Cajun is better than that Old Bay stuff.... :smiley:

PolWatch
12-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Tony Rules (I even have a cat named Tony Chachere)!

http://cincinnatimom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tony-Chacheres.jpg

Captain Obvious
12-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Tony Rules (I even have a cat named Tony Chachere)!

http://cincinnatimom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tony-Chacheres.jpg

Buddy of mine bought me some of that, now I use it regularly for seasoning/salting.

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Tony Chacherys is my favorite as well.

Mr. Right
01-11-2015, 01:18 PM
The crawfish season is in full swing now. My best friend that lived across the street from us from 99- 08 had a spice business that routed from New Orleans to Carabelle. In 08, he opened a crawfish business that's still thriving. Unfortunately, he died of a respiratory infection in 12. His son is running the place and the crawfish are just as good. I get them from him for around 3 bucks a pound and I never heat water. We get plenty of crabs, but not nearly as many as we did when I lived in Morgan City, La... We'd get .25 worth of chicken necks and tie string to them and drop them off in 4-6' of water off the pier and when the string moved, you'd slowly put the chicken neck up with the crab attached and scoop him up in the dip net. We'd sometimes get 4-5 dozen and my Dad would have a huge crab boil for the whole neighborhood. The crawfish were easy to catch.... we designed a broad dip net and we'd just scoop the ditches... Huge black crawfish every
scoop.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 02:27 PM
I have to wait a while, until the prices go down some. The crawfish are too rich for my wallet right now. We've had enough cold weather that the oysters are sure good!

Mr. Right
01-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, Pol, they always start high. They'll be affordable in late march-june. It's about over by memorial day.

Polecat
01-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Do you aficionados of the craw dad eat the whole thing or just the tail? I had them once and we were eating everything but the shell. I didn't get sick but I was feeling a bit woozy.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Do you aficionados of the craw dad eat the whole thing or just the tail? I had them once and we were eating everything but the shell. I didn't get sick but I was feeling a bit woozy.

uh...the woozy was prob due to what you were drinking. You only eat the tail...some people like to suck the juice from the head section but I don't because its usually too spicy/strong for me. They are just like little lobsters...except they live in ditches and ....oh well....you get the idea

Polecat
01-11-2015, 05:10 PM
uh...the woozy was prob due to what you were drinking. You only eat the tail...some people like to suck the juice from the head section but I don't because its usually too spicy/strong for me. They are just like little lobsters...except they live in ditches and ....oh well....you get the idea

Could be but I think it had more to do with me closely examining what I was sucking out of the head. Looked a lot like what a coal minor with bronchitis might hack up on his hanky.

sachem
01-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Could be but I think it had more to do with me closely examining what I was sucking out of the head. Looked a lot like what a coal minor with bronchitis might hack up on his hanky.Icky.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:15 PM
yer prob right Pole...don't eat any more....that'll leave more for me! You can't keep us swamp dwellers away from the crawfish no matter what you say about them....can't turn me off of raw oysters either.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:20 PM
oh...for all y'all folks of the northern persuasion....like to know what I went out & bought for supper? Hubby's special request: Hart's Fried Chicken Gizzards....yum! Fried okra on the side.

sachem
01-11-2015, 05:23 PM
oh...for all y'all folks of the northern persuasion....like to know what I went out & bought for supper? Hubby's special request: Hart's Fried Chicken Gizzards....yum! Fried okra on the side.Innards and slime. Yum. :rolleyes: :D

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:24 PM
yeap....what can I say? I'm southern! We use everything on a hog except the oink!

sachem
01-11-2015, 05:28 PM
yeap....what can I say? I'm southern! We use everything on a hog except the oink!My parents ate liver. I thought they were mentally ill. So I understand to some degree. Whatever you grow up eating. Although none of us kids ever ate liver.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM
gizzards are the only 'innard' I can eat...and only those cooked by one place! Someday I'll give you a complete description of the time my mother in law needed help making souse meat (hog's head cheese). It ain't a dairy product...trust me!

sachem
01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
gizzards are the only 'innard' I can eat...and only those cooked by one place! Someday I'll give you a complete description of the time my mother in law needed help making souse meat (hog's head cheese). It ain't a dairy product...trust me!Oh gawd.........

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:38 PM
My mother in law was an old country woman from north Mississippi. There was nothing that grew, fly, crawled or swam that she didn't know how to catch, clean & make it fit to eat. I'm a city-slicker. We had a bit of a culture shock issue.

sachem
01-11-2015, 05:41 PM
My mother in law was an old country woman from north Mississippi. There was nothing that grew, fly, crawled or swam that she didn't know how to catch, clean & make it fit to eat. I'm a city-slicker. We had a bit of a culture shock issue.I can imagine. Of course there is something to be said to be able to feed your family, with anything, if necessary.

Peter1469
01-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Liver can be good if you make it right.
My parents ate liver. I thought they were mentally ill. So I understand to some degree. Whatever you grow up eating. Although none of us kids ever ate liver.

Polecat
01-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Headcheese has always fascinated me at the deli. I marvel at the bits and pieces of mystery meat suspended in the amber gel. I wonder what it might be like to slap a slice of that on some bread and bite into it. After a strong shudder I hear my number called and get a pound of ham and never think about it again until that next time I am standing there at the deli again.

sachem
Liver can be good if you make it right.There are plenty of other things to eat. Just the smell of it is nauseating. Although I do know plenty of folks who like it.

My grandmother came to dinner weekly and at least once a month my mother cooked liver and onions for her and my dad.

Redrose
Liver can be good if you make it right.

Calf's liver with fried onions, one of my favorite meals growing up. My dad made the best.

I've been to cook outs with "possum" and raccoon and other critters, and couldn't warm up to them.
I do like crawfish but can't suck the heads.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm such a wuss about liver. I would cook it for my husband & son (they both like it) but I could never stand to even touch it. I used tongs. Hubby said watching me handle it (not handle it) made him squeamish. He orders it in a restaurant now. hmmm....you would almost think I planned that one!

sachem
01-11-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm such a wuss about liver. I would cook it for my husband & son (they both like it) but I could never stand to even touch it. I used tongs. Hubby said watching me handle it (not handle it) made him squeamish. He orders it in a restaurant now. hmmm....you would almost think I planned that one!That's the way to do it. ;)

Polecat
01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Liver and onions is indeed a delicacy. If you don't hate the idea of it. It is all I ever order when at a place I know prepares it well.

Redrose
01-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Headcheese has always fascinated me at the deli. I marvel at the bits and pieces of mystery meat suspended in the amber gel. I wonder what it might be like to slap a slice of that on some bread and bite into it. After a strong shudder I hear my number called and get a pound of ham and never think about it again until that next time I am standing there at the deli again.

My late FIL ate that. He was a butcher in his youth in Denmark and became a senior VP at Boars Head.

Head cheese is all the bits from the pigs head, they waste nothing on a pig. Don't know why they call it cheese. I never ate it but my ex did, he said it's cunchy, slimy and chewy all in one. I think I'll go throw up now.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
my husband and his family love the stuff. I can barely stand to look at it. my mother in law was very disappointed that I couldn't master the art of making it. I was relieved...after I got out of the bathroom.

Polecat
01-11-2015, 06:20 PM
my husband and his family love the stuff. I can barely stand to look at it. my mother in law was very disappointed that I couldn't master the art of making it. I was relieved...after I got out of the bathroom.

My uncle raised hogs and I had the opportunity to see a pigs face up pretty close. I don't think any amount of scrubbing can clean something like that up enough to cal it food. Kind of like Griffin Peterson saying the rotted goose anus he had for lunch didn't settle well.

Mr. Right
01-11-2015, 07:17 PM
I can't stand gizzards. It's like eating chicken flavored inner tube. Chicken livers are another story. Done right, they're superb. There's a restaurant right around the corner that has "liver and onion" day on thursdays. $7.00 get ya 3 or 4 slices, mashed potatos, a green, and if ya get there early, cornbread.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Try the gizzards from Harts...only place I can eat them.

Redrose
01-11-2015, 07:24 PM
My ex in laws were from Europe. He loved smoked eel. That ugly black "snake" made the fridge stink.
I had to put a fridge in the garage for his "delicacies". They also ate some intestine stuffed thing that I had to leave the table. Smelled like a hamper.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 07:28 PM
My mil used to cook chitlins. I couldn't even be in the house for a week after she cooked them. Husband & son used to go eat with them when she cooked them. Son asked me one day to make some chitlin bread. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I called mil & found it was crackling bread he wanted....cornbread baked with little pieces of pork cracklings in it.

Redrose
01-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I suppose our food choices are what we've been raised to enjoy. I had a great gormet bread last night with sharp provalone cheese, sun dried tomatoes and sweet marinated garlic cloves (and wine).

My husband was looking at me like I was eating dog poop.

PolWatch
01-11-2015, 07:54 PM
The first time I brought crawfish home, my husband looked at them and asked "are you gonna eat that"? He loves them now. Same thing with raw oysters, gumbo...but I still don't do the chitlin thing!

Dr. Who
01-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Chitlins should be called by their correct name. Shitlins.

Redrose
01-11-2015, 10:17 PM
The first time I brought crawfish home, my husband looked at them and asked "are you gonna eat that"? He loves them now. Same thing with raw oysters, gumbo...but I still don't do the chitlin thing!

Raw oysters are wonderful. I like them Rockefellered too.

Captain Obvious
01-13-2015, 08:47 AM
I like crawfish, the guts part not so much, don't like the texture.

Problem with crawfish is that it's regional, they're expensive outside of that region. I need like a hundred of them to fill me up too, that would cost me a fortune.

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Crawfish taste like cardboard and make you shit the bed.

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Chitlins should be called by their correct name. $#@!lins.

I am a bit leery of any recipe that starts "wash the chitllins in the washing machine for one hour before cooking"

Peter1469
01-13-2015, 04:52 PM
I like crawfish, the guts part not so much, don't like the texture.

Problem with crawfish is that it's regional, they're expensive outside of that region. I need like a hundred of them to fill me up too, that would cost me a fortune.

If they aren't fresh they pretty much suck.

Dr. Who
01-13-2015, 05:13 PM
I am a bit leery of any recipe that starts "wash the chitllins in the washing machine for one hour before cooking"
They smell like their original purpose, even when cooked. Enough said.

PolWatch
01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
natural sausage casings...anyone?

Dr. Who
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
natural sausage casings...anyone?

That's fine - that's using the outside membrane, not the inside. Yuk.

PolWatch
01-13-2015, 05:29 PM
to me? yuck on both!

Peter1469
01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
We use to have the live crawfish sit in tubs with cool water flowing over them for hours. Cleans them out.

PolWatch
01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
makes a mess to clean up in a bathtub!

Peter1469
01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
makes a mess to clean up in a bathtub!

You do everything with a crawfish boil outside. It isn't inside food.

PolWatch
01-13-2015, 05:37 PM
I know...but I went to a friends house once and found they had put them in the bathtub to purge 'em. What a mess!

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2015, 06:18 PM
I had a crawfish boil dinner Sunday night. It was crawfish, clams, shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob and carrots. You boil all that in a mix of white wine, butter and crawfish boil seasonings. I enjoyed it. I cheated a bit and bought a kit from Sam's that turned out quite well.

Crawfish are a lot like rock shrimp in taste. They aren't my favorite but they are very good.

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Here, they're sold by the sack... It's an onion sack thats usually between 30 and 45lb. Boil about 6-9 gallons of water with a cup or so of salt
then about 10lb of potatos, and another 5-6 big onions and a package of Zaterains boil mix to taste. 5lb of sausage and about 10 ears of corn
broke in half. I think they call that a "low country boil"...

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
only thing you forgot is the French bread & cold beer! my husband is already pricing 'em at Mudbugs

Codename Section
01-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Goddammit. :(

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 03:25 PM
torture....we're so mean :rollseyes:

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Don't forget the Cayenne pepper.
Here, they're sold by the sack... It's an onion sack thats usually between 30 and 45lb. Boil about 6-9 gallons of water with a cup or so of salt
then about 10lb of potatos, and another 5-6 big onions and a package of Zaterains boil mix to taste. 5lb of sausage and about 10 ears of corn
broke in half. I think they call that a "low country boil"...