PDA

View Full Version : Talking Tea

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
I consider myself something of a tea aficionado. By which I mean tea to me is not Lipton tea bags, it's a science, an art, and and a delicious drink best served hot and steeped from loose leaves, not bags :tongue:

What are your favorite teas?

Personally, Darjeeling black is my favorite. Originating in West Bengal, India, Darjeeling comes in black, green, white, and oolong. Most Darjeeling you'll find out there is black, but scientifically speaking, they are technically more oolong-ish than black because of their incomplete oxidation.

For those unfamiliar with tea terms, black tea is probably the most oxidized variant of all the tea families. It tends to have the strongest flavor of the tea families. It also keeps its flavor longer. Green tea, for example, will hold its flavor for about a year after harvesting, whereas black tea can hold its flavor for several years.

One of the more common black tea blends is Earl Grey, another of my favorite teas, as well as English and Irish Breakfast teas. Black teas are pretty good for mornings, as they can replace your cup of nasty and unhealthy coffee with a morning caffeine infusion that is actually a little bit healthy for you.

Captain Obvious
12-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Long Island

Dark Mistress
12-15-2014, 02:20 PM
I am not a tea expert, but I am an herbal tea drinker preferring blends with herbs like chamomile and peppermint to help sooth and relax the beasty within. I have had tea from loose leaves from specialty stores and they are wonderful. Hardly comparable to a tea bag...

I don't drink black or green tea. I have had both, but I tend to stick with the herbs. I do love Mate as well. I believe it is also called Yerba Mate. A few friends served missions in Argentina and introduced me to Mate in college with the metal cup and straw. Only way to drink it.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I use bags or loose. Depends on the tea. My favorites are lapsang souchong (Twinings and Harney & Sons make a good one), Earl Grey, and this Tianjian black tea which has a slight smoky flavor.

http://www.generationtea.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=348

Mister D
12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I am not a tea expert, but I am an herbal tea drinker preferring blends with herbs like chamomile and peppermint to help sooth and relax the beasty within. I have had tea from loose leaves from specialty stores and they are wonderful. Hardly comparable to a tea bag...

I don't drink black or green tea. I have had both, but I tend to stick with the herbs. I do love Mate as well. I believe it is also called Yerba Mate. A few friends served missions in Argentina and introduced me to Mate in college with the metal cup and straw. Only way to drink it.

Herbal tea isn't really tea.

Dark Mistress
12-15-2014, 02:30 PM

Okay then.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Okay then.

Just saying. :smiley: All tea comes from the same plant. Chamomile, rooibois, etc. isn't actually tea.

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 03:12 PM

What is Mate? I'm a tea drinker but its always been tea bag stuff. I did dry some of my peppermint leaves a couple of years ago and used in my hot tea and it was nice. I need to plant some more peppermint next summer & try some of the loose leaf teas.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 03:28 PM
I use bags or loose. Depends on the tea. My favorites are lapsang souchong (Twinings and Harney & Sons make a good one), Earl Grey, and this Tianjian black tea which has a slight smoky flavor.

http://www.generationtea.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=348

Tianjian black sounds delicious. Never had it before.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
I generally drink orange pekoe and Earl Grey (black teas), and green tea. I usually buy English brands of black tea and Chinese brands of green tea. I never buy Lipton tea (a Unilever product). *makes face* I tend to go for the bags because they are less messy since I often make my tea in a cup rather than a pot and can't be bothered with tea balls.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Tianjian black sounds delicious. Never had it before.

It has a lighter flavor than lapsang but the smoke still comes through.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I generally drink orange pekoe and Earl Grey (black teas), and green tea. I usually buy English brands of black tea and Chinese brands of green tea. I never buy Lipton tea (a Unilever product). *makes face* I tend to go for the bags because they are less messy since I often make my tea in a cup rather than a pot and can't be bothered with tea balls.

I just got an electric kettle for my brithday. I thought these things were a waste of time but they are incredibly fast. I was impressed. A cup and a half of water boils in less than a minute.

Cigar
12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Sorry ... I don't know any Guys who do Tea ... :grin:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-crwYVpcU7z8/TfvDnx6v82I/AAAAAAAAB3k/It_wUU46a3c/s1600/tea+with+pinky.jpg

Mister D
12-15-2014, 04:28 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-crwYVpcU7z8/TfvDnx6v82I/AAAAAAAAB3k/It_wUU46a3c/s1600/tea+with+pinky.jpg

It's much more popular than coffee worldwide. No need to apologize. You're an American. It's expected. :wink:

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I just got an electric kettle for my brithday. I thought these things were a waste of time but they are incredibly fast. I was impressed. A cup and a half of water boils in less than a minute.
I hope it has metal or glass inside. Plastic is bad - puts chemicals in your water.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 04:32 PM
I hope it has metal or glass inside. Plastic is bad - puts chemicals in your water.

Metal for the most part.

Cigar
12-15-2014, 04:33 PM
It's much more popular than coffee worldwide. No need to apologize. You're an American. It's expected. :wink:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pv7pUvQpkW4/UGvH7nJyKgI/AAAAAAAAFjg/o7a6caD-MkY/s1600/Coffee,+Chocolate,+and+men+somethings+are+just+bet ter+rich%21.jpg
http://theprogressiveparentdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/menandcoffee1.jpg

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 04:33 PM

It's a matter of culture, something I know you don't understand.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 04:35 PM

There's a set I have my eye on eventually for when I'm more financially stable. Both the kettle and the cups have clay on the inside. The clay holds the flavor, so every time you brew the flavor stays rich.

Only to be used with your favorite tea flavor, of course. Mixing multiple teas wouldn't do.

Bob
12-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I consider myself something of a tea aficionado. By which I mean tea to me is not Lipton tea bags, it's a science, an art, and and a delicious drink best served hot and steeped from loose leaves, not bags :tongue:

What are your favorite teas?

Personally, Darjeeling black is my favorite. Originating in West Bengal, India, Darjeeling comes in black, green, white, and oolong. Most Darjeeling you'll find out there is black, but scientifically speaking, they are technically more oolong-ish than black because of their incomplete oxidation.

For those unfamiliar with tea terms, black tea is probably the most oxidized variant of all the tea families. It tends to have the strongest flavor of the tea families. It also keeps its flavor longer. Green tea, for example, will hold its flavor for about a year after harvesting, whereas black tea can hold its flavor for several years.

One of the more common black tea blends is Earl Grey, another of my favorite teas, as well as English and Irish Breakfast teas. Black teas are pretty good for mornings, as they can replace your cup of nasty and unhealthy coffee with a morning caffeine infusion that is actually a little bit healthy for you.

I plan to sit back, soak this up to find out if you really understand tea or not.

I have green tea here.

Question: What's wrong with tea bags?

Cigar
12-15-2014, 04:37 PM
It's a matter of culture, something I know you don't understand.

http://planetill.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ti_bio_image1.jpg

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 04:37 PM
I have green tea here.

What kind?

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 04:38 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pv7pUvQpkW4/UGvH7nJyKgI/AAAAAAAAFjg/o7a6caD-MkY/s1600/Coffee,+Chocolate,+and+men+somethings+are+just+bet ter+rich!.jpg
http://theprogressiveparentdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/menandcoffee1.jpg
Mister D, and anyone else that cares -

Notice that Cigar is always complaining about rich people, even though he's rich (allegedly, anyway) and frequently posts pro-rich sayings?

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:45 PM
There's a set I have my eye on eventually for when I'm more financially stable. Both the kettle and the cups have clay on the inside. The clay holds the flavor, so every time you brew the flavor stays rich.

Only to be used with your favorite tea flavor, of course. Mixing multiple teas wouldn't do.
Sounds like an asian kettle. They are often clay, but not electric, or not that I've ever seen.

Redrose
12-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Having an English mother, I was raised on tea. Had tea in my baby bottle. We've done all the fancy teas, and I still go back to my old favorite, Redrose tea bags. It does make a difference in what order you mix tea and milk. I just put the tea bag in a cup with boiling hot water to steep, then add a bit of milk. My English mom and ex MIL insisted the tea brew in a pot, and milk in the cup first, then pour the tea. GA is right it is an art form.
It must be strong, weak tea is miserable. I drink 4 to 5 cups per day. Great with scones.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I plan to sit back, soak this up to find out if you really understand tea or not.

I have green tea here.

Question: What's wrong with tea bags?
Some people feel that it affects the ability of the leaves to steep properly and may also affect the flavor because of the paper products used.

Bob
12-15-2014, 04:53 PM
I have restaurant quality Tetley Green tea in bags.

The box does not mention where it comes from. It tastes ok but I need advice.

What do you know about Tetley Tea, based in New Jersey?

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Having an English mother, I was raised on tea. Had tea in my baby bottle. We've done all the fancy teas, and I still go back to my old favorite, Redrose tea bags. It does make a difference in what order you mix tea and milk. I just put the tea bag in a cup with boiling hot water to steep, then add a bit of milk. My English mom and ex MIL insisted the tea brew in a pot, and milk in the cup first, then pour the tea. GA is right it is an art form.
It must be strong, weak tea is miserable. I drink 4 to 5 cups per day. Great with scones.
Redrose tea originated in New Brunswick, Canada and was a always a very good tea. Alas it has now become another victim of the Unilever conspiracy. I haven't tried it in some time, is it still good?

Bob
12-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Some people feel that it affects the ability of the leaves to steep properly and may also affect the flavor because of the paper products used.

Logic would tell me the ground up tea ought to enhance flavor? Maybe not. I don't know.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Tetley is a British tea company that has packaging plants throughout the world. I like Tetley. I think the tea is sourced by the mother ship and supplied to their various world wide subsidiaries.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Logic would tell me the ground up tea ought to enhance flavor? Maybe not. I don't know.
I've never seen tea served with whole leaves, not even by the Chinese or South Asians.

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I remember reading that tea bags were filled with scraps of tea that broke during processing. That the larger pieces were sold for loose tea. I have no idea if this is true. I use tea bags & have tried loose tea but have not noticed a difference in taste.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Sounds like an asian kettle. They are often clay, but not electric, or not that I've ever seen.

Not electric, no. Old fashioned. Gotta put it on the stove :tongue:

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Tetley is alright. Twinings is better, if you must go bagged.

It does not. For starters, the paper of the bag does somewhat affect the flavor. The full flavor and aroma is also partially trapped in the bag. Loose leaf is better and tastes fresher because you're getting the flavor from the whole leaf. Teabags, in contrast, are generally just the dust and fannings from the leaves. Not all bagged teas are like that, but most, such as Lipton, are.

It's like the difference between dropping whole basil leaves in a stew or putting in ground up basil leaves. You get better flavor from the whole leaf.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 05:16 PM

It does not. For starters, the paper of the bag does somewhat affect the flavor. The full flavor and aroma is also partially trapped in the bag. Loose leaf is better and tastes fresher because you're getting the flavor from the whole leaf. Teabags, in contrast, are generally just the dust and fannings from the leaves. Not all bagged teas are like that, but most, such as Lipton, are.

It's like the difference between dropping whole basil leaves in a stew or putting in ground up basil leaves. You get better flavor from the whole leaf.
I always squeeze the bags to get the flavor out. I agree not all bagged tea is alike. I also like Twinings. Tetley puts holes in their bags to release the flavor, so I do notice a difference there.

Redrose
12-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Redrose tea originated in New Brunswick, Canada and was a always a very good tea. Alas it has now become another victim of the Unilever conspiracy. I haven't tried it in some time, is it still good?

Redrose tea is the only one I drink now. Tetley is too bitter (IMO). Your taste buds get used to a certain flavor. I've been drinking Redrose for 50 years or more., I think it's consistantly good. When we go for breakfast I never order tea. They never serve the water hot enough to steep the tea properly. All you get is an insipid cup of colored water. I order coffee with breakfast, but never drink coffee at home (I make terrible coffee). I've had people tell me tea drinking is bad for your health. Not in my family. Mom is 90, her sister is 98, their mom was 89 when she passed. My ex MIL was 87 and her mom and sisters were well into their nineties. They all drank very strong tea their entire lives, several cups a day. None of them had any cancers.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Redrose tea is the only one I drink now. Tetley is too bitter (IMO). Your taste buds get used to a certain flavor. I've been drinking Redrose for 50 years or more., I think it's consistantly good. When we go for breakfast I never order tea. They never serve the water hot enough to steep the tea properly. All you get is an insipid cup of colored water. I order coffee with breakfast, but never drink coffee at home (I make terrible coffee). I've had people tell me tea drinking is bad for your health. Not in my family. Mom is 90, her sister is 98, their mom was 89 when she passed. My ex MIL was 87 and her mom and sisters were well into their nineties. They all drank very strong tea their entire lives, several cups a day. None of them had any cancers.
I also never order tea except in Chinese restaurants for the same reason. I have to admit I don't drink my tea super strong, so that's probably why I don't mind Tetley. I like my black tea with milk, so if it's too strong I add bit more milk. My parents liked it strong and often black. Too much tannin for me, however. I think that the oldest civilizations on the planet have been drinking tea for millennia, with no ill effects and in fact there is recent evidence that it is actually good for you.

Is your alias based on your love of Redrose tea?

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 05:53 PM

It is herbs brewed like tea.

I like green tea. And various herbal teas.

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Especially when you heat it up.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Especially when you heat it up.
I'm rather obsessive about heating plastic. I won't put it in the microwave, despite indications that it is microwave safe. The same with kettles.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 06:53 PM
I've never seen tea served with whole leaves, not even by the Chinese or South Asians.

I did once. It was also awful tea, IMO.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm rather obsessive about heating plastic. I won't put it in the microwave, despite indications that it is microwave safe. The same with kettles.

There are some plastic parts inside. bph free but now I'm worried. :angry:

Mister D
12-15-2014, 06:55 PM
It is herbs brewed like tea.

I like green tea. And various herbal teas.

brewed like tea. Technically it's not the leaves of the Camellia sinensis. Harumph.

Redrose
12-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I also never order tea except in Chinese restaurants for the same reason. I have to admit I don't drink my tea super strong, so that's probably why I don't mind Tetley. I like my black tea with milk, so if it's too strong I add bit more milk. My parents liked it strong and often black. Too much tannin for me, however. I think that the oldest civilizations on the planet have been drinking tea for millennia, with no ill effects and in fact there is recent evidence that it is actually good for you.

Is your alias based on your love of Redrose tea?

No, I'm a Tea Partier, so it was a veiled attempt at humor.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 07:01 PM
There are some plastic parts inside. bph free but now I'm worried. :angry:
Sorry about that. Personal peccadillo.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Sorry about that. Personal peccadillo.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/hotwatterkettles/krups/bw3990-kettle.shtml?CAWELAID=&CA_6C15C=320012430000175403

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 07:03 PM
No, I'm a Tea Partier, so it was a veiled attempt at humor.
I get the connection now. Cool.

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 07:04 PM
brewed like tea. Technically it's not the leaves of the Camellia sinensis. Harumph.

Correct.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
http://www.beveragefactory.com/hotwatterkettles/krups/bw3990-kettle.shtml?CAWELAID=&CA_6C15C=320012430000175403
I think you're ok with this one. The only plastic on the interior is the lid, so it's not getting boiled, just briefly steamed.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 07:13 PM
I think you're ok with this one. The only plastic on the interior is the lid, so it's not getting boiled, just briefly steamed.

That measure gauge thing is plastic or at least it feels lie plastic.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 07:28 PM
That measure gauge thing is plastic or at least it feels lie plastic.
It probably is. Well at least it's not BHP and it's not directly in the boiling chamber.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 07:35 PM
It probably is. Well at least it's not BHP and it's not directly in the boiling chamber.

I only oil a cup and a half at a time too.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 07:56 PM
I only oil a cup and a half at a time too.
That would tend to keep it generally below the window.

Bob
12-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Tetley is what I picked up from Smart and Final stores. I just took a bag out and smelled it. Sure smells good. Probably is why it is packaged for restaurants.

I need to see tests if you want me to believe your claims. I would love to believe them. But plan to finish off this box of tea first.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
That would tend to keep it generally below the window.

I think just the very end is in contact with the water. Plus, the actual boiling lasts for what? 5 seconds? It shuts down.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Tetley is what I picked up from Smart and Final stores. I just took a bag out and smelled it. Sure smells good. Probably is why it is packaged for restaurants.

I need to see tests if you want me to believe your claims. I would love to believe them. But plan to finish off this box of tea first.

Tetley is crap.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 08:16 PM
I think just the very end is in contact with the water. Plus, the actual boiling lasts for what? 5 seconds? It shuts down.
Very low risk factor I would think.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 08:18 PM

Tests of what, Bob?

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Tetley is crap.
You are just really picky D! Lipton is crap. Tetley is tolerable and readily available. It tastes pretty good when you're dying for a cup of tea. It's not the best, but when you're at work, beggars can't be choosers.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
You are just really picky D! Lipton is crap. Tetley is tolerable and readily available. It tastes pretty good when you're dying for a cup of tea. It's not the best, but when you're at work, beggars can't be choosers.

My overhead is full of tea. :smiley:

Bob
12-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Tests of what, Bob?

Tests of your claims.

Bob
12-15-2014, 08:30 PM

The main reason why I got this brand is price, I shop at that store and figured I needed green tea for oxidants.

I sure wish I got facts on what the bags are made of and tests proving full leaves are best for tea.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 08:37 PM

IMO, if you are going for bags Twinings is your best bet. They have reasonably priced, quality blends. Their Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Lapsang (outstanding), English breakfast, green tea, and jasmine green are all good.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Tests of your claims.

My claims are based on personal taste and common opinion, Bob. But if it's that big of a deal, click me (http://www.teavana.com/tea-info/loose-leaf-tea-vs-tea-bags).

Common Sense
12-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Bah, Tea...

Coffee...now there's a real hot beverage.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Bah, Tea...

Coffee...now there's a real hot beverage.

Coffee is disgusting. Tea accomplishes the same thing, it's better for you, and it tastes better.

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Coffee and tea are good for you (assuming you don't put crap in either of them).

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
coffee for me!

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608045937896787128&pid=15.1&P=0

Common Sense
12-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Coffee is disgusting. Tea accomplishes the same thing, it's better for you, and it tastes better.

Coffee it goood. Tea is meh.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:00 PM
My overhead is full of tea. :smiley:
I don't spoil myself and get too fond of one type of tea. Besides, I'm often too busy at work to even make a cup of tea or drink more than two sips these days. I'm usually drinking it cold. :angry:

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't spoil myself and get too fond of one type of tea. Besides, I'm often too busy at work to even make a cup of tea or drink more than two sips these days. I'm usually drinking it cold. :angry:

ah...you remind me again why I love being retired...It took time, but I now expect to drink my coffee before it gets cold...

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Coffee it goood. Tea is meh.
I always have a cup of coffee in the morning. The rest of the day, if I have time, I take tea.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:03 PM
You coffee people disgust me :tongue: much like your preference in drink does :tongue:

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
You coffee people disgust me :tongue: much like your preference in drink does :tongue:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608033800311803187&pid=15.1&w=84&h=97&p=0

Bob
12-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Coffee and tea are good for you (assuming you don't put crap in either of them).

I drink both straight. More coffee than tea though.

Saw the Doc today. He is all over me for not walking 2 miles per day.

Redrose
12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
I always have a cup of coffee in the morning. The rest of the day, if I have time, I take tea.

Coffee is great with chocolate in it and wipped cream. Creme de cocao in it is wonderful on a cold night with a warm fire.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
The main reason why I got this brand is price, I shop at that store and figured I needed green tea for oxidants.

I sure wish I got facts on what the bags are made of and tests proving full leaves are best for tea.
You don't need full leaves, in fact unless you are talking about white tea that's made with the youngest leaves (they may be brewed whole, but I'm no expert on white tea), you are better off if they are broken up.

del
12-15-2014, 09:09 PM
i like my coffee like my women-

cold and bitter

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm wise to you del ... you're trying to make me drown my keyboard again!

del
12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm wise to you @del (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=770) ... you're trying to make me drown my keyboard again!

i usually say hot and black, but i didn't want to throw mr d off his feed. :)

Bob
12-15-2014, 09:13 PM
You don't need full leaves, in fact unless you are talking about white tea that's made with the youngest leaves (they may be brewed whole, but I'm no expert on white tea), you are better off if they are broken up.

Darn, I shopped today at that Smart and Final Store and could have done a price check on their tea stock.

They may sell whole leaves. I just don't know for sure. It smells good though. I never put sugar or milk in so I get it straight. (Tetley tea)

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:14 PM
IMO, if you are going for bags Twinings is your best bet. They have reasonably priced, quality blends. Their Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Lapsang (outstanding), English breakfast, green tea, and jasmine green are all good.
I have Twinings at home, but we have Tetley at work, better than Lipton or some generic, and for the amount of time I have to enjoy it, I'm not being all that picky. If things slow down, I may bring in some better tea that I can drink while it's still hot.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:16 PM
I have a French green tea blend, loose leaf, that is absolutely delicious. I can smell it even if I'm away from my desk, it's magnificent. They put a little orange peel and something else I can't recall for a little extra flavor.

Bob
12-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a French green tea blend, loose leaf, that is absolutely delicious. I can smell it even if I'm away from my desk, it's magnificent. They put a little orange peel and something else I can't recall for a little extra flavor.

Can't we learn those brands you like and price?

Mister D
12-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I have Twinings at home, but we have Tetley at work, better than Lipton or some generic, and for the amount of time I have to enjoy it, I'm not being all that picky. If things slow down, I may bring in some better tea that I can drink while it's still hot.

You can always reheat it. :wink:

Mister D
12-15-2014, 09:19 PM

I love citrus with teas.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:19 PM
That sounds really good.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 09:20 PM
I drink all my teas black though. The only thing I'll sometimes add is whiskey.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:21 PM
You can always reheat it. :wink:
Yeah, takes too much time. I'm involved with multiple projects. I'm lucky if I get to the bathroom these days.

Redrose
12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
i like my coffee like my women-

cold and bitter

You made me spit my tea out. You are too funny.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Coffee is great with chocolate in it and wipped cream. Creme de cocao in it is wonderful on a cold night with a warm fire.
Sounds wonderful. It would have to be a night when I can stay up late though. I can't usually drink coffee after 3 o'clock or I'm up all hours.

Peter1469
12-15-2014, 09:30 PM
If you run it won't take as long. Get it over faster.
I drink both straight. More coffee than tea though.

Saw the Doc today. He is all over me for not walking 2 miles per day.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Can't we learn those brands you like and price?

Sure. Most of my loose leaf tea comes from Teavana. The price depends on what blend you get and what size. I got a decent sized tin of "Celestial Mountain Peaks" black tea, a Chinese blend with vanilla, for about $20. I said in my OP that my favorite is Darjeeling black and Earl Grey. You can get three ounces of Darjeeling black loose leaf off MightyLeaf (http://www.mightyleaf.com/product/organic-darjeeling-estate/) for $12. Teavana (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/teas-by-flavor/earl-grey-teas) has loose leaf Earl Grey for $5. That French green tea blend I just mentioned is called "Thé Des Alizés" (http://us.palaisdesthes.com/en_us/the-des-alizes-1679.html), a good sized tin (4.4 oz) runs for about $15.

It all depends on what you want and where you get it. Bags tend to be cheaper but loose leaf lasts longer and tastes better (in my opinion).

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I drink all my teas black though. The only thing I'll sometimes add is whiskey.

I add honey sometimes if I brew it a little strong, but otherwise I don't add anything to it. I tend to get tea blends with natural flavors, like the orange peel and melon pieces.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:38 PM
That sounds really good.
Dr. Who, Mister D:

"Thé Des Alizés" (http://us.palaisdesthes.com/en_us/the-des-alizes-1679.html)

Try it. It's worth it. Here's the description from my tin:

A flavoured green tea evoking white peach, kiwi and watermelon, enlivened by flower petals. The green tea and the juicy freshness of the fruit are wonderfully balanced. Equally delicious hot or iced.

And I can attest to the truthiness of every word of that description.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 09:44 PM
@Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612), @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4):

A flavoured green tea evoking white peach, kiwi and watermelon, enlivened by flower petals. The green tea and the juicy freshness of the fruit are wonderfully balanced. Equally delicious hot or iced.

I will. Thanks.

I like green oolongs especially when they have a hit of spice.

http://www.generationtea.com/store/default.php?cPath=25

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I will. Thanks.

I like green oolongs especially when they have a hit of spice.

http://www.generationtea.com/store/default.php?cPath=25

Spice is a perfect addition to most blends that aren't too fruity, especially in winter. I've actually added nutmeg to my tea blends before steeping them before, it was delicious.

Mister D
12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Spice is a perfect addition to most blends that aren't too fruity, especially in winter. I've actually added nutmeg to my tea blends before steeping them before, it was delicious.

I like it when it's the flavor of the leaf itself. I have had several green oolongs with that weird little spice note to them. Lovely. I prefer fermented teas over green but I drik a wide range from fully oxidized to slightly oxidizied. I highly recommend green oolongs. I buy gunpowder green as my workhorse green tea I would switch completely green oolong if I didn't drink so much.

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 09:54 PM
@Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612), @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4):

Thanks GA, I'll give it a try.

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 09:56 PM

sounds more like perfume than tea! :wink:

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Well, it does have a delicious aroma in addition to taste :tongue:

Mister D
12-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Lapsang smells like a cozy campfire or at times like a Easter ham. So good...

Of course my father (an uncivilized boor) says it smells like burning tires. :rollseyes:

Redrose
12-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Maybe we should drink it, that way when we spit it all over ourselves, we'll smell good. :smiley:

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Maybe we should drink it, that way when we spit it all over ourselves, we'll smell good. :smiley:

I have to be careful reading posts....I don't think the keyboard likes to gurgle!

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Lapsang smells like a cozy campfire or at times like a Easter ham. So good...

Of course my father (an uncivilized boor) says it smells like burning tires. :rollseyes:
Some people have diminished olfactory senses, perhaps he only smells one element out of several and that's what it reminds him of. I think taste buds are that way as well. Some people have an acute sense of taste and others can eat any old slop and it doesn't matter.

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Some people have diminished olfactory senses, perhaps he only smells one element out of several and that's what it reminds him of. I think taste buds are that way as well. Some people have an acute sense of taste and others can eat any old slop and it doesn't matter.

That's me, both smell and taste. I can be a very picky eater in some circumstances because of the combination of hypersensitive smell and taste.

PolWatch
12-15-2014, 11:50 PM
I have never tried any of the teas discussed here...but you make them sound so attractive...next trip to the store I'm gonna try one. What do you recommend?

Green Arrow
12-15-2014, 11:55 PM
I have never tried any of the teas discussed here...but you make them sound so attractive...next trip to the store I'm gonna try one. What do you recommend?

If you are comfortable PMing me your location (not asking for address, just closest city), I can find you some tea stores that I trust in your area. You can also follow any of the links I've provided for Bob in post #93 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/36330-Talking-Tea?p=881325&viewfull=1#post881325)

Dr. Who
12-15-2014, 11:57 PM
That's me, both smell and taste. I can be a very picky eater in some circumstances because of the combination of hypersensitive smell and taste.
Me too. There are certain flavor profiles that I cannot tolerate. Also, if food is even the least bit off, I can tell either by the odor or the flavor. People think I'm nuts because they can't taste it. So I too have been labeled a picky eater. I'm the one who's generally asked to smell the milk - lol.

PolWatch
12-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Me too. There are certain flavor profiles that I cannot tolerate. Also, if food is even the least bit off, I can tell either by the odor or the flavor. People think I'm nuts because they can't taste it. So I too have been labeled a picky eater. I'm the one who's generally asked to smell the milk - lol.

I can walk in a resturant & smell the grease they use frying if they don't change it regularly. I've learned to leave when I do...the few times we stayed, it made me sick. No one else can smell it.

Green Arrow
12-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Imagine having a hypersensitive sense of smell like me and working at McDonalds for six months while also living in an apartment with four smokers :tongue:

Dr. Who
12-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I can walk in a resturant & smell the grease they use frying if they don't change it regularly. I've learned to leave when I do...the few times we stayed, it made me sick. No one else can smell it.
I totally understand. I can smell it too. ugh.

Cigar
12-16-2014, 12:28 AM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4), and anyone else that cares -

Notice that Cigar is always complaining about rich people, even though he's rich (allegedly, anyway) and frequently posts pro-rich sayings?

What's Rich?

What Numbers are you talking about?

Green Arrow
12-16-2014, 12:29 AM
What's Rich?

What Numbers are you talking about?

Numbers? What? Can you read? I didn't say anything about numbers.

Bob
12-16-2014, 01:12 AM
If you run it won't take as long. Get it over faster.

Wait until you get to be my age. LMAO I have to really get serious about this. It is too easy to mess with this forum and the day passes so fast. Once I get into better shape, I don't mind trying to run.

Bob
12-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Sure. Most of my loose leaf tea comes from Teavana. The price depends on what blend you get and what size. I got a decent sized tin of "Celestial Mountain Peaks" black tea, a Chinese blend with vanilla, for about $20. I said in my OP that my favorite is Darjeeling black and Earl Grey. You can get three ounces of Darjeeling black loose leaf off MightyLeaf (http://www.mightyleaf.com/product/organic-darjeeling-estate/) for $12. Teavana (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/teas-by-flavor/earl-grey-teas) has loose leaf Earl Grey for $5. That French green tea blend I just mentioned is called "Thé Des Alizés" (http://us.palaisdesthes.com/en_us/the-des-alizes-1679.html), a good sized tin (4.4 oz) runs for about $15.

It all depends on what you want and where you get it. Bags tend to be cheaper but loose leaf lasts longer and tastes better (in my opinion).
Green Arrow

Thanks a lot. I will see where those are sold in my area.

Green Arrow
01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Mister D and my other fellow Teaphiles, I got a couple new teas from Teavana last week, and so far both are a smash. My favorite by far has been the Gyokuro Imperial (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/gyokuro-imperial-green-tea), a green tea high in antioxidants, making it both delicious and healthy. The Gyokuro bushes are covered in shade for two weeks before harvesting, which causes them to retain chlorophyll, giving them a better taste and also holding in the nutrients of the leaves better. You can feel the healthful effects within a few days of regular drinking.

The second one I got is called Black Dragon Pearl (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/black-teas/p/black-dragon-pearls-black-tea). The "pearls" are made by rolling the leaves and buds before they have a chance to dry. It has somewhat of a cocoa taste to it, not terribly overpowering but noticeable. It's also a good caffeine infusion to start your day or to give you a good second wind, without having to deal with the inevitable crash of an energy drink.

Redrose
01-18-2015, 10:20 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4) and my other fellow Teaphiles, I got a couple new teas from Teavana last week, and so far both are a smash. My favorite by far has been the Gyokuro Imperial (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/gyokuro-imperial-green-tea), a green tea high in antioxidants, making it both delicious and healthy. The Gyokuro bushes are covered in shade for two weeks before harvesting, which causes them to retain chlorophyll, giving them a better taste and also holding in the nutrients of the leaves better. You can feel the healthful effects within a few days of regular drinking.

The second one I got is called Black Dragon Pearl (http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/black-teas/p/black-dragon-pearls-black-tea). The "pearls" are made by rolling the leaves and buds before they have a chance to dry. It has somewhat of a cocoa taste to it, not terribly overpowering but noticeable. It's also a good caffeine infusion to start your day or to give you a good second wind, without having to deal with the inevitable crash of an energy drink.

That cocoa flavored tea interests me. Where can we buy it? Do you put anything in your tea, or do you drink it plain? Occassionally I add lemon and a bit of sugar.

Green Arrow
01-18-2015, 10:27 PM
That cocoa flavored tea interests me. Where can we buy it? Do you put anything in your tea, or do you drink it plain? Occassionally I add lemon and a bit of sugar.

It depends on the tea and the time of day. I usually prefer my teas stronger and "black."

These specific blends can be bought online at the links I gave, or if you have a local Teavana store.

Redrose
01-18-2015, 10:38 PM
It depends on the tea and the time of day. I usually prefer my teas stronger and "black."

These specific blends can be bought online at the links I gave, or if you have a local Teavana store.

Thanks I'll check the links. Sometimes they don't open for me. I prefer strong tea too.

nathanbforrest45
01-20-2015, 11:01 AM
If you don't drink Lapsang Souchong or Bohea you ain't a real tea drinker

Mister D
01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
If you don't drink Lapsang Souchong or Bohea you ain't a real tea drinker

Lapsang is great. It's one of my favorite teas.

nathanbforrest45
01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Lapsang is great. It's one of my favorite teas.

Another one I like is English Breakfast tea. Its another full bodied tea. One should always use loose tea leaves when making tea. That makes it easier to inspect the tea for things that shouldn't be there, like rose leaves or other non tea filler.

Mister D
01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Another one I like is English Breakfast tea. Its another full bodied tea. One should always use loose tea leaves when making tea. That makes it easier to inspect the tea for things that shouldn't be there, like rose leaves or other non tea filler.

I use Twinings bags and Harney & Sons but my typical cup is loose.

Mister D
02-26-2018, 03:41 PM
lol