PDA

View Full Version : Google Ads

Chris
12-19-2014, 06:54 PM
They're back...

http://i.snag.gy/Lum15.jpg

That, btw, is the phone I want to upgrade to but for some reason Verizon doesn't offer it yet.

Oh, not complaining, just observing. Good to see the forum pulling in a little money to pay for server and etc.

Peter1469
12-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't see any ads. Are you using Chrome?

Common Sense
12-19-2014, 07:00 PM
I find it crazy how those ads find you wherever you go.

I was looking for a new motorcycle helmet and various helmet ads followed me around for months.

Peter1469
12-19-2014, 07:02 PM
I get ads for stuff after I buy something.

Someone isn't doing their job well.

Chris
12-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes, Chrome is what I'm using. Let me go to other computer where I can try IE and Firefox.

Common
12-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Its adware and malware on your phone just like on your puter. There must be apps to clean your phones.

Chris
12-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Odd, on this computer I see no adds with Chrome, Firefox or IE.

PolWatch
12-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I see no ads with Firefox or IE

Chris
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
On thos computer, the ads is there.

http://i.snag.gy/RWx6U.jpg

Strange.

Peter1469
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Yes, Chrome is what I'm using. Let me go to other computer where I can try IE and Firefox.

I uninstalled Chrome because of that.

Chris
12-19-2014, 07:14 PM
After some investigation it's an extension called Ghostery that my son inadvertently added. Removing it now.

Common
12-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Firefox has an addon Nogoogleanalytics and I have RemoveGoogleTracking addon and a GooglePrivacy addon they work decently. Google is an insidious POS alot like the old Norton software

Chris
12-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Got rid of ghostery. But Google ads remain. Odd. I'll just ignore.

Dr. Who
12-19-2014, 08:33 PM
I uninstalled Chrome because of that.
I just use AdBlock.

Peter1469
12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I just use AdBlock.

I have that. Chrome got so bad that my posts here had ads attached to them. I was the only one that could see them.

Dr. Who
12-19-2014, 08:49 PM
I have that. Chrome got so bad that my posts here had ads attached to them. I was the only one that could see them.
I know, it's been getting worse. I don't know why anyone thinks that having whatever you are looking at littered with ads, that it will prompt you to buy anything. It just prompts me to get really annoyed and start the uninstall process. However AdBlock seems to work. If an ad pops up, I just open AdBlock and click on the ad. The originator of that is blocked forever.

Captain Obvious
12-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Firefox, no ads.

TrueBlue
12-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Chris, why did you go do that for? Ghostery is a great add-on for Firefox that protects a computer against many intrusive items! It comes well-recommended and presently over a Million and a Third folks all over the world are using it to help protect their systems. It is not used as an ad blocker but does a Great Job blocking many other objects that can sneak in to track you and it's FREE!

It has a panel that you can adjust according to your needs and taste. The reason, as you found out, Ghostery did not block your ads is because that is not its primary function. But it works well alongside your Anti-virus and Anti-malware software.

Read more about it here. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/?src=hp-dl-mostpopular)

TrueBlue
12-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Were you aware of the fact that GOOGLE is the developer of Chrome? Therefore....... :) ;)

TrueBlue
12-19-2014, 11:38 PM
I know, it's been getting worse. I don't know why anyone thinks that having whatever you are looking at littered with ads, that it will prompt you to buy anything. It just prompts me to get really annoyed and start the uninstall process. However AdBlock seems to work. If an ad pops up, I just open AdBlock and click on the ad. The originator of that is blocked forever.

Greetings Dr. Who. Yes, AdBlock is very good for doing as its name implies -- to Block Ads. But were you aware that Google, MS and others are wanting to get rid of ad blockers? There was a recent discussion on my thread "Computer Talk."

It is posting #143 on Page 15 under the title "Google, MS, More, and Adblock Plus"

This is the link (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35587-Computer-Talk/page15) to that conversation. We discuss all type of issues and news there about computers so it can be informative to many! :)

Beevee
12-19-2014, 11:45 PM
I can't understand why Americans complain about advertising.

After all, television is made up of them with bits of programs thrown in for amusement.

Dr. Who
12-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Greetings Dr. Who. Yes, AdBlock is very good for doing as its name implies -- to Block Ads. But were you aware that Google, MS and others are wanting to get rid of ad blockers? There was a recent discussion on my thread "Computer Talk."

It is posting #143 on Page 15 under the title "Google, MS, More, and Adblock Plus"

This is the link (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35587-Computer-Talk/page15) to that conversation. We discuss all type of issues and news there about computers so it can be informative to many! :)
Thanks TB. Good to know. I may try one of those search engines mentioned.

TrueBlue
12-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks TB. Good to know. I may try one of those search engines mentioned.
You're welcome! And yes, those two search engines mentioned on the thread are worth trying out as they are a great help against companies tracking your searches.

Btw, I have added a link to Computer Talk in my signature to make it easier to find!

Feel free to join any computer conversation you feel inclined to! :)

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Most Happy and Prosperous New Year!!

Dr. Who
12-20-2014, 12:56 AM
You're welcome! And yes, those two search engines mentioned on the thread are worth trying out as they are a great help against companies tracking your searches.

Btw, I have added a link to Computer Talk in my signature to make it easier to find!

Feel free to join any computer conversation you feel inclined to! :)

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Most Happy and Prosperous New Year!!
The same to you TB. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Captain Obvious
12-20-2014, 09:11 AM
I can't understand why Americans complain about advertising.

After all, television is made up of them with bits of programs thrown in for amusement.

I'm insulted that advertisers assume that I will buy a product with repetitive, senseless and aggressive advertising.

I'm also ashamed that my species falls for it hook, line and sinker.

ADMIN
12-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Members would likely prefer that we have no ads, and I too wish we did not. However, the forum needs some form of income to guarantee its future. We have received donations from three people in the 2014 calendar year. Asking for donations complicates moderation, and in fact, the vast majority of our operating funds have been donated by moderators who already give so much of themselves to keep the forum running. Throughout the year, and especially in this season, we recognize that finances can be tight, and there are far more important causes to donate to. This is not a plea for contributions.

If the ads are too distracting, or if you are concerned about Google’s privacy practices, then by all means use Adblock or one of the other options available. If you can accept the inconvenience, however, we would appreciate you whitelisting tPF, so that we can continue to offer the features we currently do, and possibly add more in the future. We try to give our members as much space as needed for keeping all of their personal messages, uploading large images and gifs, full featured blogs, and other perks that may not be available at other forums. If anyone is in a position where they are running up against our limits, please let me know, and we will try to work something out. Staying on a fast web server, having fully automatic 24 hour backups of the site in the event of a outage, and so on, all costs money. As our forum approaches 900,000 posts, we are reluctantly acknowledging the need to move to a larger hosting plan. Additionally, we have been unable to comply with some requests for features due to finances. I have done my best with my crude programming skills and the wealth of free mods available for this version of vBulletin, but I know in some cases members have been disappointed.

I hope this explanation makes sense, and again, I am not asking for your donations. My goal is only to provide more background as to why we have decided to include these advertisements. I thank each of you for giving tPF the most important contribution of all: that is, being an active member of our community and adding to our lively discussions!

Chris
12-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Members would likely prefer that we have no ads, and I too wish we did not. However, the forum needs some form of income to guarantee its future. We have received donations from three people in the 2014 calendar year. Asking for donations complicates moderation, and in fact, the vast majority of our operating funds have been donated by moderators who already give so much of themselves to keep the forum running. Throughout the year, and especially in this season, we recognize that finances can be tight, and there are far more important causes to donate to. This is not a plea for contributions.

If the ads are too distracting, or if you are concerned about Google’s privacy practices, then by all means use Adblock or one of the other options available. If you can accept the inconvenience, however, we would appreciate you whitelisting tPF, so that we can continue to offer the features we currently do, and possibly add more in the future. We try to give our members as much space as needed for keeping all of their personal messages, uploading large images and gifs, full featured blogs, and other perks that may not be available at other forums. If anyone is in a position where they are running up against our limits, please let me know, and we will try to work something out. Staying on a fast web server, having fully automatic 24 hour backups of the site in the event of a outage, and so on, all costs money. As our forum approaches 900,000 posts, we are reluctantly acknowledging the need to move to a larger hosting plan. Additionally, we have been unable to comply with some requests for features due to finances. I have done my best with my crude programming skills and the wealth of free mods available for this version of vBulletin, but I know in some cases members have been disappointed.

I hope this explanation makes sense, and again, I am not asking for your donations. My goal is only to provide more background as to why we have decided to include these advertisements. I thank each of you for giving tPF the most important contribution of all: that is, being an active member of our community and adding to our lively discussions!

Hah! So it wasn't just me or some malware infecting my browser...only at this site! Thanks for explaining.

As I said I wasn't complaining, just observing. It's good you got google ads back as far as I'm concerned to defray expense.

You all ought to have donation campaigns now and then, do what they do in a Jerry Lewis Marathon! ;)

ADMIN
12-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Chris, yes, I apologize if you thought it was malware. I think what likely happened is that you are using a theme different from the default, either dark background or large font. I am standardizing the themes to remove broken links (long overdue) and correct ad placements, so this likely explains why you were seeing something different from others, and why if you went to another machine it would have displayed the default theme.

Chris
12-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Chris, yes, I apologize if you thought it was malware. I think what likely happened is that you are using a theme different from the default, either dark background or large font. I am standardizing the themes to remove broken links (long overdue) and correct ad placements, so this likely explains why you were seeing something different from others, and why if you went to another machine it would have displayed the default theme.
ADMIN, no problem. Yes, I use the dark theme.

At one time though I had, or my son had, added Ghostly, and I was able to remove that.

It's all good.

Bob
12-20-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't see any ads. Are you using Chrome?

I use Chrome and don't see ads.

At rare times, as I pull up Yahoo for the news, an ad tries to creep into the Yahoo site. When on rare times it happens, I just use the X and knock off the ad.

I see zero ads on this forum and use Adblocker.

I suppose one can allow ads. If a person with Adblocker sees ads, check settings on Adblocker to see if the ads you see show up on a site you permit ads to show up on.

Bob
12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I would like to point out though, some have plenty of capital to help the admin pay for the site.