PDA

View Full Version : Forum Ads

ADMIN
12-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Dear Members,

You may have noticed the presence of advertisements on our forum. Rest assured, it is not malware or an infection on your computer as some have wondered. No doubt, you would prefer a forum without ads, and rest assured that we would too. However, the forum needs some form of income to guarantee its future. Asking for donations complicates moderation, and in fact, the vast majority of our operating funds have been donated by moderators who already give so much of themselves to keep the forum running. Throughout the year, and especially in this season, we recognize that finances can be tight, and there are far more important causes to donate to. This is not a plea for contributions.

If the ads are too distracting, or if you are concerned about Google’s privacy practices, then by all means use Adblock or one of the other options available. If you can accept the inconvenience, however, we would appreciate you whitelisting tPF, so that we can continue to offer the features we currently do, and possibly add more in the future. We try to give our members as much space as needed for keeping all of their personal messages, uploading large images and gifs, full featured blogs, and other perks that may not be available at other forums. If anyone is in a position where they are running up against our limits, please let me know, and we will try to work something out. Staying on a fast web server, having fully automatic 24 hour backups of the site in the event of a outage, and so on, all costs money. As our forum approaches 900,000 posts, we are reluctantly acknowledging the need to move to a larger hosting plan. Additionally, we have been unable to comply with some requests for features due to finances. I have done my best with my crude programming skills and the wealth of free mods available for this version of vBulletin, but I know in some cases members have been disappointed.

I hope this explanation makes sense, and again, I am not asking for your donations. My goal is only to provide more background as to why we have decided to include these advertisements. I thank each of you for giving tPF the most important contribution of all: that is, being an active member of our community and adding to our lively discussions!

All the best,

ADMIN

GrassrootsConservative
12-20-2014, 02:16 PM
ADMIN I don't think most have a problem with advertisements, except in the way sites like youtube do it where it blocks or inconveniences content.

Dark Mistress
12-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Whew! I was worried my Dad's brand new comp was infected...

Howey
12-20-2014, 06:51 PM
I use AdBlock so don't have a problem. Thanks to ADMIN and the mods for ponying up.

I'll be glad to donate to the best forum out there. Let me know how. (besides mine).

Peter1469
12-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I use AdBlock so don't have a problem. Thanks to @ADMIN (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1) and the mods for ponying up.

I'll be glad to donate to the best forum out there. Let me know how. (besides mine).
Here (http://thepoliticalforums.com/contribute.php)

Howey
12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Here (http://thepoliticalforums.com/contribute.php)

Done!

Howey
12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd like to challenge my fellow forum members to do the same....

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
We've got ads now? I hadn't noticed because, as some of you may recall, my computer really is incurably infected, so I see ads everywhere no matter what, even with AdBlock. :tongue: Or I would normally anyway, if I were using my home computer.

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 06:20 PM
We've got ads now? I hadn't noticed because, as some of you may recall, my computer really is incurably infected, so I see ads everywhere no matter what, even with AdBlock. :tongue: Or I would normally anyway, if I were using my home computer.
Have you tried reformating the hard drive?

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Not being very tech-savvy at all, here's how my brain translates statements like that:

"Have you tried q34489p the 38f9hj riofwio9u?"

Here's what I know: I have downloaded and applied AdBlock. It eliminated 90% of my problems for a while by blocking this thing called SmarterPower, then later stopped working. I've also taken my computer into the store to have it fixed by professionals. They identified that the problem was multiple viruses, only some of which could they remove. So bottom line, until I get a new computer, I'm stuck with this inconvenience as far as I know. If people far more knowledgeable than me can't solve my computer problems, what chance do I have?

Chris
12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
IMPress Polly, first place I would look for malware like that is your browser extensions. These things add themselves sometimes without asking. Remove all but what you have deliberately added.

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 06:42 PM
@IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399), first place I would look for malware like that is your browser extensions. These things add themselves sometimes without asking. Remove all but what you have deliberately added.
It sounds like she may also have rootkit viruses and perhaps even boot sector viruses. I'd just copy off anything I can't live without and reformat the hard drive. That should eradicate everything except a bios virus.

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
I see it's time for another Polly's Brain Translation. Here's how my brain read your advice, Chris:

"@IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399), first place I would look for malware like that is adkflj fdioajfoij. These things add themselves sometimes without asking. adfkljdfoiuaff juf9 aujfj a f98u arf a98ujf9ajfoj."

No problem, I'll get right on it! :wink:

If you want me to understand your technical advice, you've gotta learn to speak in plain English, not tech talk, and you've gotta offer the advice in baby steps. Now I know how to open a Word document, so I'll just use that process to illustrate how you can help me with your computer-related advice.

Here's an example of how NOT to help me: "Open Word, then open Document X."

Now here's an example of how TO help me with your computer-related advice: "1) Click the Start button in the bottom-left corner of the screen. 2) Click on All Options and scroll until you find Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office. 3) You should now have Word open. From here, click the File button in the top-left corner of the screen. 4) Now click Open on the drop-down menu that appears. 5) Now look for Document X on the new screen that comes up and double-click it. The document should now open."

Obviously I know that particular process, but my point is that I need those kinds of click-by-click baby steps in order to figure computer things out because I suck at them. I got a 29% in Java 1, okay? Have mercy here! :tongue:

Peter1469
12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Do you have a computer geek friend (s) that could fix it. You could make dinner or something.

I see it's time for another Polly's Brain Translation. Here's how my brain read your advice, Chris:

"@IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399), first place I would look for malware like that is adkflj fdioajfoij. These things add themselves sometimes without asking. adfkljdfoiuaff juf9 aujfj a f98u arf a98ujf9ajfoj."

If you want me to understand your technical advice, you've gotta learn to speak in plain English, not tech talk, and you've gotta offer the advice in baby steps. Now I know how to open a Word document, so I'll just use that process to illustrate how you can help me with your computer-related advice.

Now here's an example of how TO help me with your computer-related advice: "1) Click the Start button in the bottom-left corner of the screen. 2) Click on All Options and scroll until you find Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office. 3) You should now have Word open. From here, click the File button in the top-left corner of the screen. 4) Now click Open on the drop-down menu that appears. 5) Now look for Document X on the new screen that comes up and double-click it. The document should now open."

Obviously I know that particular process, but my point is that I need those kinds of click-by-click baby steps in order to figure computer things out because I suck at them. I got a 29% in Java 1, okay? Have mercy here! :tongue:

PolWatch
12-27-2014, 06:47 PM
ah ha! I'm not alone in not speaking computer!

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 06:48 PM

What browser are you using Polly i.e. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox etc.

Chris
12-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Sorry. What browser do you use? Or as suggested just above maybe there's a geek guy or gal you could cook dinner for. :)

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Peter wrote:
Do you have a computer geek friend (s) that could fix it. You could make dinner or something.

I did, but he broke up with me in September, remember? Besides which, I'm not sure that'd be considered a service. :wink:

Here are some things I'm good at: I'm good at balancing, dancing, skating, snowboarding, fighting, PLAYING (not making) most video games, running (speed more than endurance), identifying patterns, and memorization. I can't cook, I can't sow, I can't do calculus or even algebra (I'm still not sure how I passed it in high school), I can't do home repair, and I can't do much of anything with computers other than the most rudimentary basics. I think sex and cash payments are the most viable form of bribery I can offer. :tongue:

Dr. Who wrote:
What browser are you using Polly i.e. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox etc.

Firefox.

Peter1469
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't see why you should have a problem getting some computer geek over to fix your machine. :smiley:
I did, but he broke up with me in September, remember? Besides which, I'm not sure that'd be considered a service. :wink:

Here are some things I'm good at: I'm good at balancing, dancing, skating, snowboarding, fighting, PLAYING (not making) most video games, running (speed more than endurance), identifying patterns, and memorization. I can't cook, I can't sow, I can't do calculus or even algebra (I'm still not sure how I passed it in high school), I can't do home repair, and I can't do much of anything with computers other than the most rudimentary basics. I think sex and cash payments are the most viable form of bribery I can offer. :tongue:

Firefox.

Howey
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Lol. I like Polly!

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Firefox.
To disable add-ons in Firefox (step by step instructions):
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons

Bob
12-27-2014, 08:28 PM
@IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399), first place I would look for malware like that is your browser extensions. These things add themselves sometimes without asking. Remove all but what you have deliberately added.

She just read ... xyzust pytiop I would 4677 etc. She needs professional help.

I would suggest a change to AVAST virus software. I pay the minimum fee and so far so good. I have formerly tried all the major brands. This actually works.

Bob
12-27-2014, 08:33 PM
It sounds like she may also have rootkit viruses and perhaps even boot sector viruses. I'd just copy off anything I can't live without and reformat the hard drive. That should eradicate everything except a bios virus.

She knows sex? She does not know computer.

Peter1469
12-27-2014, 08:35 PM

I would suggest a change to AVAST virus software. I pay the minimum fee and so far so good. I have formerly tried all the major brands. This actually works.

Norton Internet Security gets much better reviews. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp)

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 08:36 PM
She knows sex? She does not know computer.
That's why the comment was addressed to Chris and not Polly. She mentioned that the experts could not remove all of the viruses, and I am assuming that means that they did not discuss reformatting the hard drive, which is a last resort for most people.

Bob
12-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Norton Internet Security gets much better reviews. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp)

I have used Norton. Been awhile but where my son works, even they use AVAST. This program is what my real estate board techs told me to use. They had my computer for a time and took care of problems.

Bob
12-27-2014, 08:40 PM
That's why the comment was addressed to Chris and not Polly. She mentioned that the experts could not remove all of the viruses, and I am assuming that means that they did not discuss reformatting the hard drive, which is a last resort for most people.

My son has a tactic. He has a back up for everything. If he has problems, he reformats and has the copy to load back which he of course verifies is a clean copy.

He is so advanced, he no longer uses hard-drives. It is all on chips.

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 08:43 PM
My son has a tactic. He has a back up for everything. If he has problems, he reformats and has the copy to load back which he of course verifies is a clean copy.

He is so advanced, he no longer uses hard-drives. It is all on chips.
I'm assuming that you are talking about solid state drives, which are like really large flash drives.

Bob
12-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm assuming that you are talking about solid state drives, which are like really large flash drives.

Correct. Tell you the truth my description of how he fixed it was when he still used hard drives. I have to ask him how he now handles it.

I just talked to him He says he has not had a virus in a very long time. He told me to tell Impress Polly to try the free virus program of Trend Micro. I plan to send this and see their site. He says he does not need to reformat his solid state drives given they come formatted. He is crafty enough to evade sites that are known virus carriers.

Bob
12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
They have a 30 day for free service at Trend Micro.

http://shop.trendmicro.com/Official-Site/?cm_mmc=Paid+Search:%20US%20-_-CONS:Brand-_-Google-_-KWtrend%20micro&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trend%20micro&utm_content=paidsearch&utm_campaign=g%20-%20us%20-%20nam%20-%20trend%20micro%20cons%20-%20ps%20-%20trend%20b&keywordid=26-28228&k_userid=7ef744e7-e05d-63c9-a2bc-00002fcf492a&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzvmkBRCm3ZbV-4-hwrYBEiQAgLOw644hOaXOP9pEsaR-dINEElrlg_brL4NoXxpDB-2INXEaAiuC8P8HAQ

Dr. Who
12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Correct. Tell you the truth my description of how he fixed it was when he still used hard drives. I have to ask him how he now handles it.

I just talked to him He says he has not had a virus in a very long time. He told me to tell Impress Polly to try the free virus program of Trend Micro. I plan to send this and see their site. He says he does not need to reformat his solid state drives given they come formatted. He is crafty enough to evade sites that are known virus carriers.
Unfortunately gaming sites are notorious for their "hitchhikers". I haven't heard of Trend Micro. I'll look it up, thanks.

PolWatch
12-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Polly, I'm not a computer person so I understand needing something simple to handle. I downloaded a program by AVG for malware & spyware. I have been running it on my computer for a couple of years and I have no problems. I use the free version (I'm cheap too). Check out avg.com for the download and info. People who know about these things have told me this is a good program.

Peter1469
12-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Polly, I'm not a computer person so I understand needing something simple to handle. I downloaded a program by AVG for malware & spyware. I have been running it on my computer for a couple of years and I have no problems. I use the free version (I'm cheap too). Check out avg.com for the download and info. People who know about these things have told me this is a good program.

AVG is what I used before I started paying for anti-virus. I was satisfied with it.

Also antispyware is a good spyware program and the free version basically is manual as opposed to the pay version which will scan automatically. So not a big deal if you are on a budget.

Bob
12-27-2014, 09:28 PM
AVG is what I used before I started paying for anti-virus. I was satisfied with it.

Also antispyware is a good spyware program and the free version basically is manual as opposed to the pay version which will scan automatically. So not a big deal if you are on a budget.

My computer techs first had me use AVG and it was okay. Then they converted me to AVAST and no problems at all since. I do pay a annual small fee.

William
12-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Polly, I'm a total computer thicko, and even I can format the hard drive. Like the operating system DVD (and I'm stlll on XP Pro, cos my desktop is very old) does all the work.

I'm always loading my computer up with free junk I get off the net, so it gets all buggy after a while. When that happens (like about once a year,) this is what I do.

Stick the operating system disc in the drive, restart the computer by clicking on start (bottom left corner) and select turn off computer, then re-start from the next menu.

When the system begins to start up, and before Windows starts to load, select 'Start from CD' in the DOS screen.

When it loads, Windows will ask you what you want to do - select 'Install a new version of Windows' (not Repair) and follow the prompts.

When the menu comes up, you must select 'Remove Partition', and then create a new partition. After that you select 'Format Disc' and that will take some time. After that select 'Install Windows' on that partition. Just follow the prompts after that.

I know it sounds a bit complicated, but its not really when you do it.

But it is important that you back up all your data before you do this - the programmes do not matter cos I guess you have all the original discs - like Windows, and Microsoft Office, etc. But you will have to install them all again when the disc is formatted.

It's not really as hard as it sounds, and is actually quite fun. And the computer is much faster when you have done it. :)

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Howey wrote:
Lol. I like Polly!

What's not to like?

Oh I'm so charming and witty tonight, aren't I? :grin:

Peter wrote:
I don't see why you should have a problem getting some computer geek over to fix your machine. :smiley:

I could have one over (and over and over and over :laugh:), no problem. I know where they congregate. The question is would they fix my computer? :wink: If none of the other pros have been able to so far, I don't suspect another one could.

PolWatch wrote:

Yeah, downloading what I didn't realize was a fake version of that exact piece of software that was actually viruses or malware or something in disguise is what gave me my current problems. Matt (the aforementioned geek / former boyfriend) afterwards showed me where I could find the real product. I downloaded the real AVG, ran the virus scan and got rid of a whole bunch of stuff that way, but it didn't noticeably help. I then took my computer in to get my problems addressed professionally. They removed some stuff, but told me there were some viruses that were impossible to remove. I then got AdBlock on Matt's recommendation, which I made him give me the direct link to considering how I'd been misled on AVG. AdBlock eventually identified SmarterPower as a consistent source of problems and blocked it. That solved 90% of the problem right there, at least as far as I could tell. My Internet service remained slower, but it was now ad-free. More recently though, the ads have come roaring back and I have no idea why or what to do about them. Virus scans don't solve my problems, trust me. I've tried that. I think it's as the people at the store told me: that something I have just can't be removed.

I'm sorry, I know you're trying to be helpful! But I've just been there and tried that and it hasn't made a noticeable difference so far.

Chris wrote:

I have professional help, it just doesn't work. :tongue:

William
12-27-2014, 10:53 PM
I have professional help, it just doesn't work. :tongue:

It doesn't work cos it's the wrong professional help. A bit like going to a totally brill brain surgeon won't fix your broken leg.

Formatting the hard drive removes everything including viruses and stuff that 'fights' with other stuff from your hard drive.

Ask someone to format the hard drive, and to re-install all your stuff, if you can't do it yourself. Trust me - it works every time. :)

IMPress Polly
12-27-2014, 10:59 PM
I was informed that there certain kinds of viruses that become part of the hard drive or something like that.

Anyway, I might take your advice when I care more because right now I'm out of state using an ad-free computer. :smiley: And maybe I should apply that advice to the professional help that I was ACTUALLY jokingly referring to: therapists. I'll just keep changing therapists until I find one who tells me what I want to hear. :wink: (I'm in a joking mood tonight, people. Keep up with me.)

Captain Obvious
12-28-2014, 12:02 AM
You people are making this way too complicated.

Download Firefox and AdBlock. You'll never see an ad again unless it's hardcoded in the site platform then nothing will prevent you from seeing it.

Get one of the free antivirus softwares out there, there are two of them that are top rated.

Download Malware Bytes - a free "one time use" thing (you can re-download it and used again) every once in a blue moon to clean any junk that might have accumulated over time.

Live life more, stop fucking around with the computer.

William
12-28-2014, 12:10 AM
I was informed that there certain kinds of viruses that become part of the hard drive or something like that.

Anyway, I might take your advice when I care more because right now I'm out of state using an ad-free computer. :smiley: And maybe I should apply that advice to the professional help that I was ACTUALLY jokingly referring to: therapists. I'll just keep changing therapists until I find one who tells me what I want to hear. :wink: (I'm in a joking mood tonight, people. Keep up with me.)

LOL, but AFIK there are no viruses which become a part of the hard drive. Like that is physically impossible. The hard drive is just a series of magnetically coated discs in which the orientation of the magnetic particles are changed by electrical impulses. Formatting simply restores all the magnetic particles to their original position - all the programmes, data, and even viruses are just changes to the direction the magnetic particles are pointing. So when the disc is formatted, all those changes are gone. :)

IMPress Polly
12-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Captain Obvious wrote:
You people are making this way too complicated.

Download Firefox and AdBlock. You'll never see an ad again unless it's hardcoded in the site platform then nothing will prevent you from seeing it.

Get one of the free antivirus softwares out there, there are two of them that are top rated.

Download Malware Bytes - a free "one time use" thing (you can re-download it and used again) every once in a blue moon to clean any junk that might have accumulated over time.

Live life more, stop $#@!ing around with the computer.

Clearly you haven't been reading since page 1 because, as I've already explained, I already have Firefox, AdBlock, and a free virus scan service (AVG) in place. Try to keep up.

I might have to try that Malware Bytes thing though. That I haven't done.

William wrote:
LOL, but AFIK there are no viruses which become a part of the hard drive. Like that is physically impossible. The hard drive is just a series of magnetically coated discs in which the orientation of the magnetic particles are changed by electrical impulses. Formatting simply restores all the magnetic particles to their original position - all the programmes, data, and even viruses are just changes to the direction the magnetic particles are pointing. So when the disc is formatted, all those changes are gone. :)

Oh, so there's nothing that can't be fixed and these people just don't know what they're talking about?

Captain Obvious
12-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Clearly you haven't been reading since page 1 because, as I've already explained, I already have Firefox, AdBlock, and a free virus scan service (AVG) in place. Try to keep up.

I might have to try that Malware Bytes thing though. That I haven't done.

Oh, so there's nothing that can't be fixed and these people just don't know what they're talking about?

I have been reading actually, have you?

IMPress Polly
12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Whatever you say, Captain. :tongue:

Chris
12-28-2014, 11:41 AM
...Firefox.

Follow these steps. Note, depending on the version of Firefox, it may not have the same exact appearance, but you should be able to find your way.

Start here:

http://i.snag.gy/UOapn.jpg

That will bring up ad-ons:

http://i.snag.gy/YMcNk.jpg

Now I can't tell you what to remove as I don't know what you have. You don't need any ad ons, so you could remove all. If you have added one, like adblock, you can leave it. Or you could give us a list of ad-ons you see.

Codename Section
12-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Isn't the point of these to help ADMIN out by clicking on the ads so that he doesn't have to bear the load of the forum expenses on his own?

Matty
12-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Isn't the point of these to help @ADMIN (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1) out by clicking on the ads so that he doesn't have to bear the load of the forum expenses on his own?

I am am not clicking on "Meet old gay men" Nope!

sachem
12-28-2014, 11:52 AM
And here I thought it was added entertainment.

Peter1469
12-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Come on Matty. Take one for the team!

Peter1469
12-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Isn't the point of these to help @ADMIN (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1) out by clicking on the ads so that he doesn't have to bear the load of the forum expenses on his own?

That is the point of the Ads, yes. I am going to log in with IE and see if I can see all these ads that people are talking about.

The Xl
12-28-2014, 12:03 PM
The ads are random as hell. Some are stuff that are related to my searches, others, not even close.

I don't mind the ads. Some provide serious lulz

Chris
12-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Isn't the point of these to help ADMIN out by clicking on the ads so that he doesn't have to bear the load of the forum expenses on his own?

Yes! Thus I don't block.

And actually I think the way google ads work is a "hit" is considered clicking on a page that has an ad not actually clicking on the ad itself. Simply clicking on any forum page exposes ads for which google is paid and in turns pays the forum. It's like print media ads, advertisers pay for the space on the page regardless anyone actually reads or follows the ad.

I wonder does an ad-on like adblock detract from that? On viewing a page, the ad may be initially exposed, count as a "hit", before adblock removes it from the page.

Peter1469
12-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Yup, I see them via IE. My first add is from Kellogg with a contest for a Disney vaca. The add link didn't work though. Hopefully just clicking on the link is all that is needed for credit.

Mister D
12-28-2014, 12:08 PM
I keep getting an ad for American Military University.

sachem
12-28-2014, 12:11 PM
I keep getting an ad for American Military University.Trade ya. I keep getting Liberty University.

Mister D
12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Trade ya. I keep getting Liberty University.

I'd like D'artagnan meats back.

sachem
12-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I'd like D'artagnan meats back.No doubt.

Codename Section
12-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes! Thus I don't block.

And actually I think the way google ads work is a "hit" is considered clicking on a page that has an ad not actually clicking on the ad itself. Simply clicking on any forum page exposes ads for which google is paid and in turns pays the forum. It's like print media ads, advertisers pay for the space on the page regardless anyone actually reads or follows the ad.

I wonder does an ad-on like adblock detract from that? On viewing a page, the ad may be initially exposed, count as a "hit", before adblock removes it from the page.

Yep, that' why I click on them.

William
12-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Well, I dunno, but I think maybe it's cos most people don't want to go to the trouble of formatting the hard disc that computer experts don't suggest that. Like it means you have to back up all your important data - like research and study stuff - and you have to re-install all your executable programmes - it takes a lot of time (but I think it is worth it to get a nice 'clean' computer).

I don't think I know anywhere near what most computer nerds do, but I stick to the KISS method, and try to keep things as simple as possible. So for me - if my computer gets buggy, I just format the hard drives and start again. :)

Dr. Who
12-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes! Thus I don't block.

I have whitelisted this site for adblock purposes, so the little stop sign is now green with a thumbs up. Presumably, at least per Admin, that is all that is necessary for the tPF to get paid.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Maybe that's what you need is an old gay man.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Good point.

I'm not unblocking ads though, or clicking them if I did - it's the clicks that generates revenue.

Don
12-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Yes! Thus I don't block.

My understanding is that ad sense pays some just for showing each ad but more if the ads are clicked on. It is also my understanding that with ad block in place there is no payout at all because the ads don't show.

Chris
12-29-2014, 07:50 AM
My understanding is that ad sense pays some just for showing each ad but more if the ads are clicked on. It is also my understanding that with ad block in place there is no payout at all because the ads don't show.

OK, could be. Read Google's explanation and it wasn't clear at all.

Peter1469
12-29-2014, 08:12 AM
People who don't like the ads can use adblock (at least in firefox). And consider the contribution feature to help keep the site running.

Matty
12-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Here's my latest offer!

i still ain't clicking! :)

Captain Obvious
01-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Just noticed an ad on my mobile, full site mode. For lawyers.

Chris
01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
http://i.snag.gy/oThK9.jpg

What, thinks I have gas?