PDA

View Full Version : Dollop

Captain Obvious
12-23-2014, 08:16 PM
PolWatch - thought you might know this, what's a "dollop" technically?

Making cookies and it called for a dollop of this nut filling. On paper my guess was a heaping tbs, like a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream but I think it's more or less a variable term based on what you're doing with it, a heaping tbs of that nut filling would be way too much.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 08:19 PM
a dollop? its a tad more than a tsp...but a bit less than a tbsp...unless you need more or less...that help ya? :rollseyes:

btw: I'm one of those old cooks who uses a bit of this and a dash of that...unless I don't think I need it. Lotta help...huh?

Captain Obvious
12-23-2014, 08:22 PM
a dollop? its a tad more than a tsp...but a bit less than a tbsp...unless you need more or less...that help ya? :rollseyes:

btw: I'm one of those old cooks who uses a bit of this and a dash of that...unless I don't think I need it. Lotta help...huh?

I'm the same way, tend to ignore the cookbook.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 08:24 PM
for something like the topping, use your judgment. For something that you want to rise, follow the recipe or it won't turn out as good. and get your mind outta the gutter...I know you want to post something unrelated to baking!

Captain Obvious
12-23-2014, 08:49 PM
for something like the topping, use your judgment. For something that you want to rise, follow the recipe or it won't turn out as good. and get your mind outta the gutter...I know you want to post something unrelated to baking!

um... ok, you got me on that one.

I'm the master chef in the house for the most part but I never caught on to baking. Whole complicated science, everything I ever baked turned to shit fast.

She's making this bread she's made before for Christmas. It's a rising dough and baked in an iron kettle in the oven. It's fantastic.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 08:52 PM
sounds good! I'm not so good with the baking either...it really does require precise measuring or it doesn't work. Prob why my biscuits always look like warty hockey pucks. After years of humiliation, I now buy frozen biscuits (a shameful admission for a southern cook).

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Oh c'mon. It's not that bad! I made Cranberry Eggnog Cheesecake bars today.

del
12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
um... ok, you got me on that one.

I'm the master chef in the house for the most part but I never caught on to baking. Whole complicated science, everything I ever baked turned to shit fast.

She's making this bread she's made before for Christmas. It's a rising dough and baked in an iron kettle in the oven. It's fantastic.

you gotta follow the directions when you bake

it's more like chemistry than cooking

a dollop is about a spoonful, imo

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
I made Pecan Pie Muffins last week and they turned out good...but I was very, very careful (not my usual method of cooking)

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Tomorrow, a scratch Tangerine Bundt cake.

Redrose
12-23-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm the same way, tend to ignore the cookbook.

I agree with Pol on this. Half way between a tsp and a tbls. Adjust to taste.

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 10:20 PM
dollup is a small indefinite amount, usually to a preferred taste.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 10:21 PM

alright...now yer just bragging! what time will it be coming outta the oven? :wink:

Redrose
12-23-2014, 10:29 PM

I'd like that recipe. Sounds great.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 10:32 PM
A friend had a bumper crop of satsumas...I made some satsuma marmalade...really good on pork loin! just enough zip in the flavor to really show up well

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I usually use a Tea and Apricot marinade on pork before grilling.

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 11:40 PM
any special type of tea? I've never tried that..sounds good

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 11:42 PM
2 1/2 cups cake flour, stir before measuring
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated tangerine zest
1 cup tangerine juice
4 large egg whites
PreparationGrease and flour a 10 or 12-cup tube or Bundt cake pan, or spray with a baking spray. Heat oven to 350°.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until light. Gradually beat in sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add the tangerine zest and stir to blend. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the batter about 1/3 at a time, alternating with half of the tangerine juice, ending with dry ingredients. Beat until smooth and well blended. In another bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter until well blended. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes; turn out onto a serving plate to cool completely. Glaze with the tangerine glaze (instructions below) or dust with powdered sugar.
Tangerine Glaze: Combine 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of melted butter, 2 teaspoons finely grated tangerine zest, and enough tangerine juice to make a glaze which can be drizzled over the cake with a spoon. Garnish with Fresh mint, Tangerine slices and zest.

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 11:43 PM
any special type of tea? I've never tried that..sounds good
Just good old sweet tea, applecider vinegar, and apricot jam or preserves.

momsapplepie
12-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I also use apricot in my homemade barbeque sauce. Lots of sorgum too!

PolWatch
12-23-2014, 11:47 PM
thanks for the bundt cake recipe....gonna give it a try...after the holidays! I'm out of practice doing so much cooking...I've gotten lazy...just cooking for 2. Feeding crowds is hard work! I wonder how the pork marinade would do with peach preserves? I use them a lot in bar-b-que sauce.

Common
12-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Oh c'mon. It's not that bad! I made Cranberry Eggnog Cheesecake bars today.

oh man id love them. I had italian rum cake today

momsapplepie
12-24-2014, 11:42 AM
I think peach would work just as well!