PDA

View Full Version : Let the Perry Hatred Begin

Mister D
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Texas governor Rick Perry is about to stride purposefully through every cultural tripwire in the country.

He may not become as despised as Sarah Palin, but that’s because he’ll never be a pro-life woman — the accelerant for the conflagration of Palin-hatred. The disdain for Perry won’t burn as hot, but it’ll burn just as true. He’ll become a byword for Red State simplemindedness in the New York Times and an object of derision for self-appointed cultural sophisticates everywhere.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/274725/let-perry-hatred-begin-rich-lowry

MMC
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/08/15/295427/295427/

Rick Perry’s November 2010 book Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save America from Washington is not a typical “campaign book” from a political candidate. For starters, its forward is written by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, nominally one of Perry’s rivals for the nomination. For another thing, it’s overall tone much more closely resembles that of a B-list conservative radio host looking to stir up controversy and sell books than of a cautious politician trying out poll-tested lines. Consequently, while the book is by no means a good one, its certainly a lot more interesting than most comparable works.....Ten Weirdest Ideas By Perry.

— 10. Social Security Is Evil: According to Perry Social Security is “by far the best example” of a program “violently tossing aside any respect for our founding principles.” (page 48)

— 9. Private Enterprise Blossomed Under Conscription and Wartime Price Controls: Not only does he argue that the New Deal failed to end the Great Depression, but he asserts “recovery did not come until World War II, when FDR was finally persuaded to unleash private enterprise.” (page 48)

— 8. Medicare Is Too Expensive But Must Never Be Cut: Both establishing Medicare in 1965 and expanding it to include prescription drugs in 2003 are examples of “an irresponsible culture of spending in Washington” (page 63), but establishing “‘councils of experts’ and panels of various sorts” to assess the cost effectiveness of different Medicare-eligible treatments is a “frightening” “scheme” that “undermines freedom” and can be fairly labeled “death panels” (page 81).

— 7. All Bank Regulation Is Unconstitutional: Criticizing the Security and Exchange Commission’s rulemaking process under the Dodd-Frank financial regulation bill, Perry asserts that “if the Constitution were shown the appropriate respect, Washington regulation writers wouldn’t have to worry about underrepresented views, because they wouldn’t have control over them in the first place” (page 94).

— 6. Consumer Financial Protection Is Unconstitutional: Further reiterates his view that all federal financial regulation is illegitimate, listing the SEC on page 44 as part of a “federal alphabet soup” in which “undemocratic unelected Washington bureaucrats” are “now (dubiously) empowered to dictate their own preferences to the American people.”

— 5. Almost Everything Is Unconstitutional: Regrets the existence of jurisprudence construing the Commerce Clause to permit “federal laws regulating the environment, regulating guns, protecting civil rights, establishing the massive programs and Medicare and Medicaid, creating national minimum wage laws, [and] establishing national labor laws.” Perry makes a partial exception for laws barring racial discrimination which he says fulfill “the intent behind the passage of the Reconstruction Era amendments.” (page 51)

— 4. Federal Education Policy Is Unconstitutional: Cites the willingness of Republicans to vote for reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act as a “perfect example” of “losing sight of the fact that perfectly laudable policy choices at the local level are not appropriate (much less constitutional) at the federal level.” (page 87)

— 3. Al Gore Is Part Of A Conspiracy To Deny The Existence Of Global Cooling: Jokes that the Social Security Trust Fund “must be somewhere in Al Gore’s lockbox, right next to his notes from inventing the Internet and that global cooling data he doesn’t want anyone to see” (page 60). Argues that moderates oppose curbing greenhouse gas emissions because “they know that we have been experiencing a cooling trend” (page 92).

— 2. Not Only Is Everything Unconstitutional, Activist Judges Are A Problem: Having called the majority of the duly enacted modern welfare state and federal regulatory apparatus unconstitutional, Perry pivots to the complaint that “the [Supreme] court too often chooses to take it upon itself to govern and to develop policy” (page 114).

— 1. The Civil War Was Caused By Slaveowners Trampling On Northern States’ Rights: Rather than simply citing chattel slavery as an exemption to his “states’ rights are good” principle, Perry argues that slaveholder activism in the 1850s was an example of big government federal overreach. “In many ways it was was the northern states whose sovereignty was violated in the run-up to the Civil War,” he argues, citing the Fugitive Slave Act and completely ignoring the human rights of the enslaved African-Americans of the south. He says “we can never know what would have happened in the absence of federal involvement,” ignoring again the fact that federalism would have bought peace at the price of continued slavery.

These stances are well to the right of where Republican candidates have traditionally positioned themselves. Indeed, even Michele Bachmann has not, to my knowledge, deemed Social Security unconstitutional. The propriety of a federal role in regulating the banking industry has been the subject of bipartisan agreement since the Madison administration

These are the 10 that is listed in Perrys book.....

Mister D
08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
— 9. Private Enterprise Blossomed Under Conscription and Wartime Price Controls: Not only does he argue that the New Deal failed to end the Great Depression, but he asserts “recovery did not come until World War II, when FDR was finally persuaded to unleash private enterprise.” (page 48)

It was likely the war and not the New Deal.

Conley
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought his apparent endorsement of secession a bit odd, but I suppose he was trying to play up to his supporters in Texas. Hopefully when he's president he won't be as keen on it. ;D

Mister D
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought his apparent endorsement of secession a bit odd, but I suppose he was trying to play up to his supporters in Texas. Hopefully when he's president he won't be as keen on it. ;D

I will read through these at greater length. That is all that caught my eye so far. I've heard that it was WW2 that got us out of the depression, not the New Deal. In fact, I've heard that many times.

Conley
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM

I will read through these at greater length. That is all that caught my eye so far. I've heard that it was WW2 that got us out of the depression, not the New Deal. In fact, I've heard that many times.

:D Sorry, I meant Texas secession as it was discussed a couple of years ago:

""There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/governor-says-texans-want-secede-union-probably-wont#ixzz1VDbxOMbI

Conley
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
To be clear, I was joking about Perry endorsing this plan...notice though that he didn't rule it out >:D

Mister D
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM

:D Sorry, I meant Texas secession as it was discussed a couple of years ago:

""There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/governor-says-texans-want-secede-union-probably-wont#ixzz1VDbxOMbI

I don't at all. Granted, that's baggage for a Presidential run but I think secession could be come a reality at some point. All it will take is a population determined to do it.

Conley
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
If that's the worst that the Dems can dig up on him then they've got no shot.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM

True. The vast majority of people who would believe any of this without questioning it already disliked Perry. This crap is for the base more thaan anyone else. Kind of seems like a waste of time in that respect. I mean who is on think progress.org?

Conley
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM

True. The vast majority of people who would believe any of this without questioning it already disliked Perry. This crap is for the base more thaan anyone else. Kind of seems like a waste of time in that respect. I mean who is on think progress.org?

Exactly my thought.

Conley
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
The full quote (not published on foxnews.com)

"“Texas is a unique place. When we came into the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that,” Perry said. “My hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what may come of that.”

Still not that bad imo...

MMC
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
So what about Bilderberg visits in 2007 and 2011.....also note the comment on Bilbo getting the backing and Obama.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
The full quote (not published on foxnews.com)

"“Texas is a unique place. When we came into the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that,” Perry said. “My hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what may come of that.”

Still not that bad imo...

Pretty tame, IMO. Granted, it's not what I'd say if I were campaigning got POTUS but I really can't find fault with it.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
So what about Bilderberg visits in 2007 and 2011.....also note the comment on Bilbo getting the backing and Obama.

The 2011 get together was a good time. 8) :o

Conley
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

I replied in the other thread where you posted about the Bilderbergs.

Juggernaut
08-16-2011, 07:46 PM

That's how I saw it, playing up to someone else. Pols pander the voters all the time. Obama did it suggesting he'd prosecute Bush for water boarding, now he's been accused of torture.

I wonder why lib media types aren't criticizing Californians who want to succeed the union. We won't miss them nor would the fed have to bail them out again and again.

Conley
08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah, compare Obama's statements while running for office to his actions as president. :o

Everything I've seen suggests that California contributes more to the federal government than it receives in tax money.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM

That's how I saw it, playing up to someone else. Pols pander the voters all the time. Obama did it suggesting he'd prosecute Bush for water boarding, now he's been accused of torture.

I wonder why lib media types aren't criticizing Californians who want to succeed the union. We won't miss them nor would the fed have to bail them out again and again.

The anti-war movement disappeared and most of the concerns about torture with it as soon as BO was elected. It should not be taken seriously again.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that's an important point. The intense partisanship of the anti-war movement has seriously compromised the credibility of anti-war sentiment.

Conley
08-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I would say the anti-war movement should be taken seriously, but it seemingly vanished. I have no respect for the partisans who made it such an issue and then abandoned it. They have shown their true colors.

Conley
08-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I think that's an important point. The intense partisanship of the anti-war movement has seriously compromised the credibility of anti-war sentiment.

Ah! We posted at the same time.

Mister D
08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I would say the anti-war movement should be taken seriously, but it seemingly vanished. I have no respect for the partisans who made it such an issue and then abandoned it. They have shown their true colors.

I think their absence looks pretty bad and has probably tarnished a lot of otherwise well meaning folks. If the anti-war movement suddenly resurfaced with a GOP win in 2012 I would simply dismiss it as a liberal Democrat movement having nothing to do with an objection to war per se.

Juggernaut
08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't think the left cares whether people see it as fake. They ignore a lot of BO's mistakes and tolerate the many wars he's in including the ones he started. Complacent voters will follow, the real protestors on the left are ignored by the media. FOX should give the real protestors a voice to hurt BO in the election.

MMC
08-17-2011, 01:21 AM

Most even avoid discussing Foreign policy.....

Juggernaut
08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
ROFL, the child erased my karma ROFL! Delete karma because its so damn silly. LOL, so funny, my points were reset but not everyone else's ROFL. ;D :D :D :o

Conley
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
:D :D ???

Crack is wack yo.

O0