PDA

View Full Version : How sad is this?

sachem
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Leaving a dog and his belongings at a train station. So sad.

https://gma.yahoo.com/dog-found-abandoned-suitcase-filled-belongings-201928461--abc-news-pets.html

Captain Obvious
01-06-2015, 06:20 PM
With a milkbone pinned to his collar?

...sorry

Common Sense
01-06-2015, 06:20 PM
That's sad.

People should not enter int dog ownership lightly.

Polecat
01-06-2015, 06:22 PM
It is sad. This is how we ended up with 18 cats in our home. It is a an unholy mess but we can't refuse an animal in need.

Redrose
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
That was an act of desperation. The way the dog was left with his belongings including his toys, and his overall condition, tells me he was loved. The owner may have been too ill to care for him properly. I think there are better ways to find a new home for the dog, but sometimes, people in distress don't think too clearly. A cruel dog owner would just have neglected him or dumped him somewhere with nothing.
He knew a train station would have many people to possibly take the animal. It's very, very sad, but I'm sure that beautiful dog will find a loving home.

Polecat
01-06-2015, 06:33 PM
The last thing you want to do is take them to a "shelter". A large number of them are nothing more than death for profit facilities.

sachem
01-06-2015, 06:46 PM
With a milkbone pinned to his collar?

...sorryhttp://downloadpolitics.com/images/smilies/missy.gif

Chris
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes, sad. If you can't take care of a pet properly, don't get one to begin with.

Captain Obvious
01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Yes, sad. If you can't take care of a pet properly, don't get one to begin with.

Human nature though.

The average trailer trash household unit has 2 of 3 of the following: A (very large) dog, a boat and/or a swimming pool.

Polecat
01-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Too many people don't get it. Keeping an animal is a responsibility that can get heavy. Our only debt is paying off veterinary expenses.

Redrose
01-06-2015, 07:00 PM

That is very true, but unfortunately sometimes life throws us a curve ball. I have been a responsible pet owner for decades, I have three beautiful pups now whom I adore and would never hurt. But if I became too ill to care for them properly, I sadly would have to find a good home for them. I pray that never happens, but none of us know what the Good Lord has planned for us. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow or good health.

Even when I fell on unexpected hard financial times years ago, I feed my dog. I missed a few meals, but she ate well. Sometimes people are forced to do things because of extenuating circmstances, things they would never do normally.

Matty
01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
That was an act of desperation. The way the dog was left with his belongings including his toys, and his overall condition, tells me he was loved. The owner may have been too ill to care for him properly. I think there are better ways to find a new home for the dog, but sometimes, people in distress don't think too clearly. A cruel dog owner would just have neglected him or dumped him somewhere with nothing.
He knew a train station would have many people to possibly take the animal. It's very, very sad, but I'm sure that beautiful dog will find a loving home.

Yep! The owner may have fallen on hard times!

Common
01-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Maybe an act of desperation rose but to leave the dog like that unattended in public was bad news. I realize there are no good options if you already tried your best to find the dog a good home but leaving it in public doesnt seem to be the best choice to me. A no kill rescue would assure the dog doesnt come to harm.

Cigar
01-08-2015, 12:48 PM
http://images.dailykos.com/images/123094/large/kai1_.jpg?1420575889

Polecat
01-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Maybe an act of desperation rose but to leave the dog like that unattended in public was bad news. I realize there are no good options if you already tried your best to find the dog a good home but leaving it in public doesnt seem to be the best choice to me. A no kill rescue would assure the dog doesnt come to harm.

About a year and a half ago I came home from visiting one of our cats at the emergency care center. When I got home I found a blind cat with a broken leg on my front porch. I assumed this was someone's pet that got loose. I took her to a nearby shelter to see if she had a chip. There was no chip. While I was there a lady came in with a kitten she found in a busy intersection just up the road. This particular shelter was not accepting any animals at all. So they referred the lady to the death house. I interrupted and told the lady there was a no kill shelter but she did not have time to go all the way there. So I took the kitten and the blind kitty back home with me. They have a home with us now.

PolWatch
01-08-2015, 01:57 PM
you're good people Polecat...

The Xl
01-08-2015, 02:51 PM
This kind of shit gets me sad.

PolWatch
01-08-2015, 02:55 PM
me too...but at least the person who did was caring enough to leave the dog in a protected area where help was near. We had a case locally last year about an elderly couple leaving their dog in a similar situation...they didn't have the money for vet services & left a note asking if someone would care for their pet. A rescue group was able to find the couple and arrange for care for the pet so they didn't have to give up their dog. You never know about these situations. One of the many reasons that animal rescue is one of my pet charities.

The Xl
01-08-2015, 02:57 PM
I spent a good portion of my life savings trying to save my late cat who developed a heart issue about a year ago. It failed and he died, and so did my account.

And I have no regrets about it either, he was family. If the price was double what it was, I'd have still done it. I miss that bastard.

Not sure why I posted this or its even on topic, but whatever

PolWatch
01-08-2015, 03:02 PM
People are either animal lovers who understand your actions or they aren't. I lost my 2 house cats within 9 months of each other...one was 16 and the other 17...I can't begin to guess how much $$$ we spent on those fur-babies. After 2 years, I still miss the varmints!

Bob
01-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Leaving a dog and his belongings at a train station. So sad.

https://gma.yahoo.com/dog-found-abandoned-suitcase-filled-belongings-201928461--abc-news-pets.html

This is a lot of "compassion" for an abandoned dog in Scotland.

Is this normal for animal lovers to fret so much over a thing like this?

My question is do the Scots kill them or find homes for them? That animal appears expensive and had a nice luggage with treats in it.

Maybe the owner was kidnapped????? i dunno, just sayin

Cthulhu
01-08-2015, 03:26 PM
The last thing you want to do is take them to a "shelter". A large number of them are nothing more than death for profit facilities.
What other options are there? Have herds of malnourished animals wandering the streets? If people adopted them more the shelters wouldn't need to kill them.

I don't dig the situation, but wild dogs are a nuisance at best and a threat at worst.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

sachem
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
This is a lot of "compassion" for an abandoned dog in Scotland.

Is this normal for animal lovers to fret so much over a thing like this?

My question is do the Scots kill them or find homes for them? That animal appears expensive and had a nice luggage with treats in it.

Maybe the owner was kidnapped????? i dunno, just sayinYes, I'm sure the kidnappers packed up the dog and his belongings and took him to the train station. Then they sent a ransom note to the authorities. "Pay up or you will have to keep the dog."

:facepalm:

PolWatch
01-08-2015, 04:11 PM
What other options are there? Have herds of malnourished animals wandering the streets? If people adopted them more the shelters wouldn't need to kill them.

I don't dig the situation, but wild dogs are a nuisance at best and a threat at worst.

The solution is adoption of these animals. Not letting them run the streets and become a danger. People will get a cute little puppy and play with him until he starts to piddle on the floor and chew on things. Instead of training the dog, they will often abandon them. If they don't care enough to train an animal the chances are good they didn't bother to have the dog spayed or neutered....enter more unwanted animals. I hate the places that kill animals but no kill shelters are rare and expensive to operate. Sadly, it's easier to find a home for a stray dog than it is for a stray cat.

Polecat
01-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Taking a healthy tame pet in for a convenient execution may be easier than having them hungry in the streets for you. For me it would never be an option. NEVER.

PolWatch
01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Taking a healthy tame pet in for a convenient execution may be easier than having them hungry in the streets for you. For me it would never be an option. NEVER.

I understand how you feel....and I hate the kill shelters. I do believe that is a better solution than allowing an animal to run wild, hungry, sick and becoming dangerous to other animals and people. I support a no kill shelter but not every area has one.

Cthulhu
01-08-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't dig mindless killing, but I dig wild animals even less.

The other bottom line is money. Not everyone has the cash to maintain a pet.

Polecat
01-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't dig mindless killing, but I dig wild animals even less.

The other bottom line is money. Not everyone has the cash to maintain a pet.

In rural areas wild dogs form packs and are dangerous. They are often several generations feral. These are not tame pets.

Cthulhu
01-08-2015, 08:25 PM
In rural areas wild dogs form packs and are dangerous. They are often several generations feral. These are not tame pets.
Gun them down. Easy solution.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 11:51 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/video-dog-abandoned-suitcase-ayr-4946068

Video: Dog abandoned with suitcase at Ayr station was left by woman after website sale went wrong