PDA

View Full Version : US pilot dies chasing a UFO

Peter1469
01-07-2015, 05:31 PM
US pilot dies chasing a UFO (http://www.ufocasebook.com/Mantell.html)

Foo-fighters were a big thing during WWII. And they didn't disappear after the war.

January 7, 1948, would be a day of tragedy for Captain Thomas F. Mantell of the Kentucky Air National Guard, and his family, friends, and fellow Guardsmen. The Mantell case will forever be an important part of the hotbed of UFO reports of the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Bob
01-07-2015, 05:39 PM
It is very hard as a pilot to spot a UFO. I have a fair number of hours as PIC and never saw any.

I also spent a lot of hours in a very dense air traffic area. So dense the ATC for the west is in my city.

It is damned hard to spot other airplanes as you fly.

I spot a lot around airports but once you depart their area, you see no airplanes. i have flown for as long as 3 hours and never saw any other airplanes. This in a dense flying state.

Away from this area, i once was cruising at about 7,500' headed North in Ca and all of a sudden saw a local small airplane descending ahead of me but above me. That gave me a start. But we were always at least a mile apart.

A UFO does not mean it can't be identified at some point in time.

Usually saying UFO makes it seem we have visitors. I would love that to be true. i eagerly wait for proof. It might help me firm up one of my theories.

sachem
01-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Never heard that one before. They are out there.

Howey
01-07-2015, 06:57 PM
It is very hard as a pilot to spot a UFO. I have a fair number of hours as PIC and never saw any.

I also spent a lot of hours in a very dense air traffic area. So dense the ATC for the west is in my city.

It is $#@!ed hard to spot other airplanes as you fly.

I spot a lot around airports but once you depart their area, you see no airplanes. i have flown for as long as 3 hours and never saw any other airplanes. This in a dense flying state.

Away from this area, i once was cruising at about 7,500' headed North in Ca and all of a sudden saw a local small airplane descending ahead of me but above me. That gave me a start. But we were always at least a mile apart.

Usually saying UFO makes it seem we have visitors. I would love that to be true. i eagerly wait for proof. It might help me firm up one of my theories.

While I believe in extraterrestrial life (how else could we have Tom Cruise?)...

http://www.weather.com/news/news/cia-owns-up-to-being-behind-some-ufo-sightings

Redrose
01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
US pilot dies chasing a UFO (http://www.ufocasebook.com/Mantell.html)

Foo-fighters were a big thing during WWII. And they didn't disappear after the war.

I believe our government knows much more than they are letting on. There have been just too many sightings, by responsible professionals, to keep denying their existence.

Howey
01-07-2015, 07:05 PM
I believe our government knows much more than they are letting on. There have been just too many sightings, by responsible professionals, to keep denying their existence.

When I was stationed in SD, there was a story of an airman who disappeared from one of the missile silos and was found wandering around hundreds of miles away in Minnesota a couple of hours later.

Peter1469
01-07-2015, 07:06 PM
He flew too high for his aircraft, passed out and crashed. But his reports over the radio are recorded.

Common
01-07-2015, 07:39 PM
My wife believes in ghosts and aliens and I believe in what I see and I havent seen either yet.
Doesnt mean I dont think its a possiblity, I do. I just wont believe it until I see it.

Redrose
01-07-2015, 08:03 PM
When I was stationed in SD, there was a story of an airman who disappeared from one of the missile silos and was found wandering around hundreds of miles away in Minnesota a couple of hours later.

OK, so what would be a sane, responsible explanation? Alien abduction, time travel, worm hole? I've been interested in these stories for years, not psychotic but very interested. Why would we be so conceited to think we are alone in this universe? We are probably a very basic species by comparison. Maybe they visit us periodically to keep tabs on us as a possible violent threat to the fabric of space or they visit us as a curiosity like we visit a zoo.

sachem
01-07-2015, 08:06 PM
OK, so what would be a sane, responsible explanation? Alien abduction, time travel, worm hole? I've been interested in these stories for years, not psychotic but very interested. Why would we be so conceited to think we are alone in this universe? We are probably a very basic species by comparison. Maybe they visit us periodically to keep tabs on us as a possible violent threat to the fabric of space or they visit us as a curiosity like we visit a zoo.I think we are rats in their maze.

Bob
01-07-2015, 08:06 PM
OK, so what would be a sane, responsible explanation? Alien abduction, time travel, worm hole? I've been interested in these stories for years, not psychotic but very interested. Why would we be so conceited to think we are alone in this universe? We are probably a very basic species by comparison. Maybe they visit us periodically to keep tabs on us as a possible violent threat to the fabric of space or they visit us as a curiosity like we visit a zoo.
Redrose, I am very firmly persuaded that other living forms of life are all over the universe and don't doubt for a minute that some appear as we appear.

What I won't say is I saw any while flying around western states.

Redrose
01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I think we are rats in their maze.

Maybe not even that high up in the food chain. I like the ending in the movie "Men in Black" we're just a speck in the universe like the civilization existing in the locker he opened.

Redrose
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
@Redrose (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1123), I am very firmly persuaded that other living forms of life are all over the universe and don't doubt for a minute that some appear as we appear.

What I won't say is I saw any while flying around western states.

Who knows Bob, they may already be here living among us. Maybe these sightings over the years going back to Biblical times and seen in Rennaisance paintings are just a "shift change" switching them out for a new staff of observers. The possiblities are endless.

Bob
01-07-2015, 08:53 PM

I read the report. I noted the photograph of the crashed F-51.

First, we are warned to not exceed 12,000 feet due to hypoxia. Since he flew at 15,000 and above, he was using Oxygen or at least the special form of air they used then.

The crash is not consistent with the various stories. It shows an airplane as if it came into land and crash landed.

The ceiling for the F-51 and P-51 is 41,900 feet. Above 15,000 and you are in danger of passing out. Of course we can survive higher than that, but it takes time for humans to acclimate to higher elevations. Still he reported he got a lot higher than that. Even over 22,000 feet.

I heard some strange radio talk. Maybe that is accurate, but it sure violates radio talk i was taught. But keeping in mind it was 1948, can't rule it out. Gas is not used by towers nor pilots. Fuel is the correct word. The military is very much disciplined on correct radio talk. Fighters run on AF frequencies. That puzzles me why he talked on civilian radio. But if he was on a civilian radio frequency, it is possible. For instance had I flown near an air force field, I would have to change frequencies to talk to them. I would have to first find the frequency. Still they are now shown on our air charts. For instance, i just looked up the frequency for Hill AFB. But i am not saying those pilots could not be on the civilian radio.

What else do I question.

From the report

"The damage pattern was not consistent with an aircraft of this type crashing at high speed into the ground. Because of the large engine in the nose of the plane, it would come down nose first and hit the ground at an angle. Even if it had managed to glide in, it would have cut a swath through the trees and a channel into the ground. None of these signs were present.

"All indications were that it had just belly-flopped into the clearing. I must admit, I found this very strange."

They claim he reached 30,000 ft and passed out. He would have passed out a lot sooner in my opinion. But i have seen the F-51 climb and it really is fast to a point. And if on O2, he should not have passed out.

I dunno

Takes all sorts i suppose. Still not saying the story is bogus.

Bob
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Who knows @Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013), they may already be here living among us. Maybe these sightings over the years going back to Biblical times and seen in Renaissance paintings are just a "shift change" switching them out for a new staff of observers. The possibilities are endless.

Well, I have never seen a boogey man either but can't rule them out.

Bob
01-07-2015, 08:59 PM
He flew too high for his aircraft, passed out and crashed. But his reports over the radio are recorded.

How would they record that given it was 1948?

I can't recall any recording devices in that era?

Bob
01-07-2015, 09:24 PM

It is damned hard to spot other airplanes as you fly.

What most don't know since they are not pilots is how hard it is to be above a landing airplane and actually see it landing. Below them, you see them. Above it is harder. They are camoflauged by the ground, buildings and so forth.

At the same flight level, while you can see them, they are scarce as hens teeth unless flying by an airport. Even at small airports, it is hard to be sure of any others flying.

When we are near a small airport, we broadcast our intentions to help out other pilots.

When we come to a tower field, we talk to them at least 5 miles out and often a bit further. The faster you fly the more distance you should be at to talk to the airport. But we also watch our speeds close to airports to try to evade collisions.

i am a pussy cat pilot. When i land, i don't want you to feel the airplane land. I refuse to scare passengers. It is bad form in my opinion.

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 10:30 PM
I think we are rats in their maze.
Possibly.

Redrose
01-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Well, I have never seen a boogey man either but can't rule them out.

I try to keep an open mind on things I don't understand or cannot explain. They used to think the earth was the center of the universe and the sun and planets revolved around us.

Bob
01-08-2015, 12:14 AM
I try to keep an open mind on things I don't understand or cannot explain. They used to think the earth was the center of the universe and the sun and planets revolved around us.

Believe it or not, not everybody believed that.

Do you believe in the boogy man? Redrose

Redrose
01-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Believe it or not, not everybody believed that.

Do you believe in the boogy man? @Redrose (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1123)

Yes Bob, evil takes many forms. That term is just a childhood fantasy to keep kiddies in line.