PDA

View Full Version : Weird food combinations

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 10:43 AM
What are yours?

I like cottage cheese with soy sauce.

Or on a sandwich mayo with sriracha (turned my wife and son onto that too).

I don't eat french fries often but when I do I put probably a half bottle ketchup on them and a half salt shaker of salt. I don't eat much ketchup or salt anything either, except fries. My wife says all the salt makes them look like snowcapped hills.

Private Pickle
01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
McDonald's fries dipped in chocolate shake.

del
01-09-2015, 10:49 AM
hot mustard on tuna sandwiches

Common
01-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I wouldnt put NONE of those near my mouth, you guys are strange :) I do not eat strange stuff, I do not eat food I cant identify. If you are what you eat, well you guys are ? lol

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 10:56 AM

I know sardines aren't tuna but some canned sardines come in mustard.

del
01-09-2015, 10:57 AM
when i eat fries, i put ketchup on the side of the plate, then i salt the ketchup

doesn't do all that bouncing around that way

Common
01-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I know sardines aren't tuna but some canned sardines come in mustard.

I like sardines in mustard, thats "normal"

Common
01-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I saw a guy put vinegar on fries, then dip them in mayonaise.

del
01-09-2015, 11:13 AM

that's actually pretty good

i think it's european, though, so you have to be careful that you don't turn into a homo

Adelaide
01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
My mother likes peanut butter and tomato sandwiches.

Crepitus
01-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Banana and peanut butter sandwiches. But the catch is you have to dip them in koolaide.

Haven't actually eaten that in years (decades) since I was a kid but I may have to try it again just for old times.

My ex-wife used to make something like s'mores with cheese, marshmallows, and saltines. Surprisingly edible.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Banana and peanut butter sandwiches. But the catch is you have to dip them in koolaide.

Haven't actually eaten that in years (decades) since I was a kid but I may have to try it again just for old times.

Mixed koolaid or the powder?

Crepitus
01-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Mixed koolaid or the powder?
Mixed, so they get soggy.

PolWatch
01-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Peanut butter & Vidalia onion sandwiches! yummy

husband (and his entire family) eat mayo on purple hull peas

del
01-09-2015, 11:40 AM
i don't even know what a purple hull pea is

is it purple and pea shaped?

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 11:41 AM
is it purple and pea shaped?

If it is you're using the wrong lubrication.

Peter1469
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
prosciutto and mellon

GrassrootsConservative
01-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Popcorn with peanut butter and wasabi.

PolWatch
01-09-2015, 08:24 PM
for all you Yankees:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2678040247_edccb0a426.jpg

purple hull peas

Common Sense
01-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Popcorn with soy sauce...

I used to make a drink of Coke and Orange juice when I was a kid.

Now I make a drink of ginger beer and OJ. Sometimes throw some rum in there.

Sriracha and almost anything...I mix it with mayo or ketchup for fries.

PolWatch
01-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I used to think that putting salted peanuts in a Coke was odd...but it sounds kinda normal now!

Common Sense
01-09-2015, 08:26 PM
I used to think that putting salted peanuts in a Coke was odd...but it sounds kinda normal now!

No, that's still weird.

;)

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 08:29 PM

eww... eww... eww...

PolWatch
01-09-2015, 08:31 PM
its a southern thang....

Common Sense
01-09-2015, 08:32 PM
its a southern thang....

It's a choking hazard.

momsapplepie
01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Honey roasted Peanuts in Beer
Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.

Mr. Right
01-24-2015, 12:26 PM

It works with Barq's root beer too.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 01:53 PM
What are yours?

I don't eat french fries often but when I do I put probably a half bottle ketchup on them and a half salt shaker of salt. I don't eat much ketchup or salt anything either, except fries. My wife says all the salt makes them look like snowcapped hills.
The hot mayo yes. Cottage cheese and soy sauce - eew.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 01:56 PM
I can see that. The Japanese put wasabi on raw tuna and wasabi is hot.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 01:57 PM
I like vinegar on fries, with salt, but never mayo.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 01:58 PM
prosciutto and mellon
That's standard Italian fare.

kilgram
01-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Pizza with fries.

Mushrooms with fries.

And some other weird disastrous food combinations that British do. Ah yes, sandwich of paella.

If it is about combinations with some taste. Now I don't remember any.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Pizza with fries.

Mushrooms with fries.

And some other weird disastrous food combinations that British do. Ah yes, sandwich of paella.

If it is about combinations with some taste. Now I don't remember any.
I don't do carbohydrates with carbohydrates. A paella sandwich is basically a rice sandwich. That's just as weird as a french fry sandwich.

Redrose
01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
I like malt vinegar on fries and fish and ketchup on eggs. Hubby says I'm weird, he'd never seen that before. It's normal for me.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I like malt vinegar on fries and fish and ketchup on eggs. Hubby says I'm weird, he'd never seen that before. It's normal for me.
I like the same. Eggs are one of the very few things that I will put ketchup on, other than hamburgers. In fact, those are really the only two things I'll put ketchup on. I like malt vinegar on fries and sometimes on fish, although I prefer lemon on fish if it's available.

Common
01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Was it just a wives tale that women ate Pickles and Ice Cream when pregnant.

The only time Ive ever put ketchup on eggs was on an egg sandwich. Hamburgers when I do eat one I eat plain with lots of carmelized grilled onions on it, no cheese. I usually make them home occaisionally. We never ate alot of beef my wife and I

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 03:39 PM
ketchup on eggs was the only way I could eat eggs for many years...I hated them.

No ketchup on hamburgers...I use a horseradish cocktail sauce for that....its really good on corn dogs too! I sometimes mix wasabi in the ketchup to make my own, extra spicy version.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 03:57 PM
ketchup on eggs was the only way I could eat eggs for many years...I hated them.

No ketchup on hamburgers...I use a horseradish cocktail sauce for that....its really good on corn dogs too! I sometimes mix wasabi in the ketchup to make my own, extra spicy version.
That's exactly why I started putting ketchup on eggs, plus the fact that when my mother scrambled them they were rather dry. Now I rarely eat scrambled eggs without ketchup, but I do eat eggs sunny side up without ketchup. I like to dip my toast in the yolk. A bottle of ketchup lasts far too long in my house. I usually end up tossing it after a while and buying a new one.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 04:02 PM

The only time Ive ever put ketchup on eggs was on an egg sandwich. Hamburgers when I do eat one I eat plain with lots of carmelized grilled onions on it, no cheese. I usually make them home occaisionally. We never ate alot of beef my wife and I
If I get a really nice fat slice of summer tomato on my hamburger, I don't need the ketchup. I have to admit that I do like some cheese on my burger, but also like sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. I have at times caramelized the onions with a little bbq sauce, just a tad. The onions get really dark and sweet. Then no ketchup is required.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 04:03 PM
oh! summer & vine ripened tomatoes! heaven!

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
oh! summer & vine ripened tomatoes! heaven!
They really are the best. I like a salad of same with buffalo mozzarella, with just a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I salivate just thinking about it.

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Eggs raw in a glass with a dash of Tabasco. Bottoms up.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Eggs raw in a glass with a dash of Tabasco. Bottoms up.
That's just awful - a hangover remedy, I think. I really don't like the texture of raw egg white.

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 05:02 PM
That's just awful - a hangover remedy, I think. I really don't like the texture of raw egg white.

I never thought of it as a hang over remedy. It is a pre-workout drink for me. I do put it in a blender or use a blender ball. There is one part of the egg, like a cord that will make me gag if I don't break it up.

I almost never have a hang over. But when I do, I make a bloody Mary. :smiley:

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 05:46 PM
I never thought of it as a hang over remedy. It is a pre-workout drink for me. I do put it in a blender or use a blender ball. There is one part of the egg, like a cord that will make me gag if I don't break it up.

I almost never have a hang over. But when I do, I make a bloody Mary. :smiley:
It's called a prairie oyster:
Ingredients for Prairie Oyster:

1 raw egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce)
salt
pepper
2 dashes of Tabasco sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabasco_sauce)
Crack the egg into a glass, leaving the yolk unbroken. Douse it with Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_oyster_%28cocktail%29

Howey
01-24-2015, 05:49 PM
You people are killing yourselves with all this salt!

Mister D
01-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Easy way to get the vomiting over and done with.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
:shocked:

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Sounds good.
It's called a prairie oyster:
Ingredients for Prairie Oyster:

1 raw egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce)
salt
pepper
2 dashes of Tabasco sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabasco_sauce)

Crack the egg into a glass, leaving the yolk unbroken. Douse it with Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_oyster_(cocktail)

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
You people are killing yourselves with all this salt!

Salt is not bad for you.

Table salt is. Try the real stuff.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
I think I'll stick to Apalachicola oysters!

kilgram
01-24-2015, 05:57 PM
They really are the best. I like a salad of same with buffalo mozzarella, with just a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I salivate just thinking about it.
It is not a weird food combination.

In Spain all salads must be combinated with:

- salt
- Olive oil
- Normal, balsamic or Jerez vinager or lemon (my preference).

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 05:59 PM
It is not a weird food combination.

In Spain all salads must be combinated with:

- salt
- Olive oil
- Normal, balsamic or Jerez vinager or lemon (my preference).

Spain.

Salads

Pork

Cava (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cava_%28Spanish_wine%29)

Heaven.

Mister D
01-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Salt is not bad for you.

Table salt is. Try the real stuff.

I just bought a cheap crap table salt but it's for the steps outside. :wink:

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Sounds good.
I couldn't swallow it - like Mister D says, a good way to get the vomiting over with. On the other hand, when I was a kid, I used to cut out the soft yolk portion of a sunny side up egg and swallow it whole - I really hated the taste, so I had to swallow it without breaking it. If it broke, I had to chase it with a large swallow of milk. I guess I could do the same with a raw egg, followed by copious amounts of tomato juice.

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 06:19 PM
I couldn't swallow it - like Mister D says, a good way to get the vomiting over with. On the other hand, when I was a kid, I used to cut out the soft yolk portion of a sunny side up egg and swallow it whole - I really hated the taste, so I had to swallow it without breaking it. If it broke, I had to chase it with a large swallow of milk. I guess I could do the same with a raw egg, followed by copious amounts of tomato juice.

I usually eat my eggs raw these days. They do rank at the top of nutrition foods.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 06:32 PM
I usually eat my eggs raw these days. They do rank at the top of nutrition foods.
An eggnog for breakfast? I guess, but sourcing safe eggs sounds like a bit of a hassle.

Dr. Who
01-24-2015, 06:35 PM
I just bought a cheap crap table salt but it's for the steps outside. :wink:
I buy sea salt. I know that there are still better salts, but I don't use it much, so I can't be bothered looking for Himalayan pink salt.

kilgram
01-24-2015, 07:11 PM
I buy sea salt. I know that there are still better salts, but I don't use it much, so I can't be bothered looking for Himalayan pink salt.

Salt is salt :-)

Enviat des del meu MT15i usant Tapatalk 2

Redrose
01-24-2015, 09:50 PM

Everybody I knew in NY put ketchup on eggs. In Florida they looked at my sideways when I asked for ketchup. Carmelized onions is the only thing I put on a very rare burger.

I do like steak tartar, but the beef must be ground well and very fresh. Being Italian I agree with Peter, prociutto and honeydew melon is fantastic. I love scungilli and garlic, oil and lemon.

Now to the kitchen.....I'm hungry.

Crepitus
01-24-2015, 11:12 PM
What are yours?

I don't eat french fries often but when I do I put probably a half bottle ketchup on them and a half salt shaker of salt. I don't eat much ketchup or salt anything either, except fries. My wife says all the salt makes them look like snow capped hills.
I tried the cottage cheese and soy sauce today. I remembered reading this when I went to fridge for cottage cheese and the soy sauce was just sitting there...

Was actually surprisingly good, but then again I usually salt and pepper cottage cheese. Occasionally Tabasco sauce as well.

Common
01-24-2015, 11:13 PM
that's actually pretty good

i think it's european, though, so you have to be careful that you don't turn into a homo

lol ?? wtf, ill never touch vinegar and mayo again now

Common
01-24-2015, 11:17 PM
If I get a really nice fat slice of summer tomato on my hamburger, I don't need the ketchup. I have to admit that I do like some cheese on my burger, but also like sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. I have at times caramelized the onions with a little bbq sauce, just a tad. The onions get really dark and sweet. Then no ketchup is required.

My wife loves tomato on sammichs, I tenderize and grill blackened chicken breast and we make sammichs out of that. I dont put tomato again grilled onions.

Common
01-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Honey roasted Peanuts in Beer
Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise ??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo HELL NO.