PDA

View Full Version : Unusual number of UK flowers bloom

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30754443

They say according to textbooks there should be between 20 and 30 species in flower. This year there were 368 in bloom.

It raises further questions about the effects of climate change during the UK’s warmest year on record.

“This is extraordinary,” said Tim Rich, who started the New Year’s plant hunt for the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland.

“Fifty years ago people looking for plants in flower at the start of the year found 20 species. This year the total has amazed us – we are stunned.

“During the holiday I drove along the A34 south of Newbury and saw half a mile of gorse in flower when gorse is supposed to flower in April and May. It’s bizarre.”

“We are now in our fourth mild winter. Normally flowers get frosted off by Christmas but this year it hasn’t happened.”

He said 368 species in flower is an unprecedented 15% of the flowering plants in Britain and Ireland – an “amazing” total. The high count was partly due to the growth in the number of volunteers - but mostly due to climate change, he said.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/80172000/jpg/_80172715_c0223487-common_gorse_ulex_europaeus_in_flower-spl.jpg

del
01-09-2015, 08:53 PM
more global warming crap

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 08:59 PM
more global warming crap

Unusual to see it in the "Environmental and Conservation Issues Room" too.

del
01-09-2015, 09:01 PM
should be in rants, imo

momsapplepie
01-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Actually, we didn't have much of a winter last year and my Apricot tree suffered for it. Not enough of a crop to put up preserves, Darn it!. Otherwise bumper crops on the citrus, tomatoes and veggies. This year it's the Walnut trees that suffered, not much of a crop, but then there was that freakin squirrel we had to trap and relocate... He was a cheeky little sucker! He'd sit there on the tree with his cheeks full and DARE me! Needless to say, Live trap, Walnuts easy to get to, and that sucker be over at the park about 5 miles away now.

Common Sense
01-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Commie nonsense.

There are no flowers in Europe. Everyone knows that.

Blackrook
01-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Isn't more flowers a GOOD THING???

Captain Obvious
01-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Isn't more flowers a GOOD THING???

Thank you for displaying your idiocy front and center so that the rest of us know who you are.

momsapplepie
01-10-2015, 12:11 AM
I try to be a good commie MF environmentalist and grow my own, but then I'm a conservative. Couldn't say "you have an opinion on agriculture". PHUCK YALL very much.

Heyduke
01-10-2015, 12:17 AM
It's forecasted to be a freezing ass winter in Europe this year. Tons of snow and ice in Siberia. When the polar vortex comes across the Continent, it's going to be nippy.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-03/europe-s-mildest-year-since-1964-to-linger-before-winter-freeze.html

momsapplepie
01-10-2015, 12:34 AM
That would be no different than the predictions of the 1920's "polar vortex" is a bs term created by envirowacks. Of course, since it's been predicted since the 70's, an "ARCTIC" era, supposedly, its a precursor to the acclaimed, "Global Warming" that is baking us now. Yeah, right. It's colder than hell in SOCAL!
People need to realize, Meteorologists are nothing but government paid liars.
Not even the local newsbroads with big nagas are within a day's true weather forecast.

Heyduke
01-10-2015, 02:03 AM
That would be no different than the predictions of the 1920's "polar vortex" is a bs term created by envirowacks. Of course, since it's been predicted since the 70's, an "ARCTIC" era, supposedly, its a precursor to the acclaimed, "Global Warming" that is baking us now. Yeah, right. It's colder than hell in SOCAL!
People need to realize, Meteorologists are nothing but government paid liars.
Not even the local newsbroads with big nagas are within a day's true weather forecast.

Whatever you want to call it, it's been a cold winter so far in the US everywhere but in Cali. Even Florida had a cold snap and Hawaii had record cold. Will it be a cold Jan-Mar in Europe? I say so, but we'll have to wait and see.

Redrose
01-10-2015, 02:17 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30754443

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/80172000/jpg/_80172715_c0223487-common_gorse_ulex_europaeus_in_flower-spl.jpg

The English and Irish countryside were some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

The "green" in Ireland was a color beyond description.

momsapplepie
01-10-2015, 02:47 AM
I have to admit. England was beautiful, even in rainy season, but give me the smell of the green fields of the Midwest America, and the soaring heights of the Rockies, and I'd take America, any day.

Redrose
01-10-2015, 03:07 AM
I have to admit. England was beautiful, even in rainy season, but give me the smell of the green fields of the Midwest America, and the soaring heights of the Rockies, and I'd take America, any day.

I haven't gotten to the American Rockies yet, I really want to see them. Most of my travels were in Europe and Canada. I love mountains. I did see the Alps, WOW!

Captain Obvious
01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I haven't gotten to the American Rockies yet, I really want to see them. Most of my travels were in Europe and Canada. I love mountains. I did see the Alps, WOW!

I've been in Denver a couple times and flew from Denver to Salt Lake a few times over the Rockies. It's nothing short of stunning, at least from an airplane window.

Flying over the Great Salt Lake is really cool too, it's a really disgusting looking lake from the air but it's an awesome sight.