PDA

View Full Version : Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 04:30 PM
It's chilly and wet here in the enclave west of Pensacola. We saw what the wx for today was going to be, we decided last night
that today would be gumbo day. We (wife and I) went to the market and got "Louisiana" gumbo mix. Normally I make it from scratch with a bacon roux, but I like the seasoning they use in this mix. I add 3 medium onions chopped and about a table spoon of minced garlic. The recipe calls for 2 quarts of cold water or chicken broth. (5 qt pan) I'm using alot of thighs and legs,(bout 3lb.) so I'll just add a chicken boullion cube. I hacked up a pound of Conecuh sausage into the brew, but any good quality sausage will do.... much better if it's andouille, but don't sweat it if you can't get it.
3 or 4 bay leaves... and a pound of frozen chopped okra added (optional).. ten minutes prior to serving. It should simmer about 2.5 hours. This brew has got the house smelling like Paul Prudhomme's kitchen.
We eat it out of bowls over rice, but you can use cups or plates.. it's not that important. Mandatory french bread. Deep in Cajun country, they'd throw in some cayenne pepper, but I've got Crystal's hot sauce and that's enough. The weird thing they put in sometimes is an ice cream scoop of potato salad... we won't do that though..

Give it a try.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 04:36 PM
I made a big pot last week ... my Grandparents were from Louisiana

I also put shrimp and crab in my dish

Expensive Dish :shocked:

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Where in Louisiana.

The gumbo OP looks great!

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
okra is not optional! I can't believe anyone would believe you can have a gumbo without okra! (ok...I'm a fanatic)

Seafood gumbo is expensive...even on the Gulf Coast I spend at least $100 for about a 5 gallon pot.

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 04:43 PM
I love okra.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 04:44 PM
I love okra.

you was raised right! no okra in gumbo! bah-humbug!

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Sometimes we leave off the chicken and add a couple pounds of shrimp. That recipe above will feed 6 hungry people. I know cause we always have enough leftovers for lunch the next day.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Where in Louisiana.

The gumbo OP looks great!

I think it was west of New Orleans

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 04:49 PM
you was raised right! no okra in gumbo! bah-humbug!

My friend that lives in Long Beach, MS has me over about twice a year, we eat oysters and gumbo his very Joooish wife doesn't like okra. She's so cool and sweet that if she wanted us to leave out onions we'd probably do it... She knits me hats and calls me by my proper name.
That's the only time it doesn't go in.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Sometimes we leave off the chicken and add a couple pounds of shrimp. That recipe above will feed 6 hungry people. I know cause we always have enough leftovers for lunch the next day.

When I was a kid they used crayfish, but my younger brother and sister wouldn't and didn't know how to eat HOT crayfish. So my grandmother used shrimp, crab legs or lobster meat.

There's NO substitute for the real thang :tongue:

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 04:55 PM
I think it was west of New OrleansI grew up 25 miles south west of NOLA.

Howey
01-15-2015, 05:04 PM
It's chilly and wet here in the enclave west of Pensacola. We saw what the wx for today was going to be, we decided last night
that today would be gumbo day. We (wife and I) went to the market and got "Louisiana" gumbo mix. Normally I make it from scratch with a bacon roux, but I like the seasoning they use in this mix. I add 3 medium onions chopped and about a table spoon of minced garlic. The recipe calls for 2 quarts of cold water or chicken broth. (5 qt pan) I'm using alot of thighs and legs,(bout 3lb.) so I'll just add a chicken boullion cube. I hacked up a pound of Conecuh sausage into the brew, but any good quality sausage will do.... much better if it's andouille, but don't sweat it if you can't get it.
3 or 4 bay leaves... and a pound of frozen chopped okra added (optional).. ten minutes prior to serving. It should simmer about 2.5 hours. This brew has got the house smelling like Paul Prudhomme's kitchen.
We eat it out of bowls over rice, but you can use cups or plates.. it's not that important. Mandatory french bread. Deep in Cajun country, they'd throw in some cayenne pepper, but I've got Crystal's hot sauce and that's enough. The weird thing they put in sometimes is an ice cream scoop of potato salad... we won't do that though..

Give it a try.

I love gumbo! This is my last batch. Diabetic friendly with chicken, turkey andouille sausage and big ol shrimpies!

http://i.imgur.com/JBGeLPC.jpg

Howey
01-15-2015, 05:09 PM

okra is not optional! I can't believe anyone would believe you can have a gumbo without okra! (ok...I'm a fanatic)

Seafood gumbo is expensive...even on the Gulf Coast I spend at least $100 for about a 5 gallon pot.

I was taught to make gumbo with whatever's available. It can be expensive or not. Still delish! I swear there's some coonass in this ghey joo body. And tons of okra!

PolWatch
yeap...y'all are making me want a gumbo...going on the menu for later in the week!

Ravens Fan
I have tried gumbo three times. One was a frozen dinner for 6 by jimmy dean or something similar, it was good. Had some from Popeyes that was good. Then last year, I was in Herndon, Va working their annual fair and a bar across the street was doing home made. I bought 7 big bowls of it that weekend, it was delicious. I have no clue if it had Okra or not, but I cannot wait to have some more. I would love to try making it from scratch.

nathanbforrest45
01-15-2015, 05:14 PM

The translation of Gumbo is okra. Look it up, its an African word used by the slaves. Not putting okra in your gumbo is like not having chicken in KFC 3 piece dinners.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I can't swear to it (I was too young to really remember) but I wouldn't be surprised if my mother didn't put gumbo in my baby bottles. I know that when my brother had a broken jaw & it was wired...she put the gumbo into a blender so he could eat some. My family is gumbo-addicted.

Howey
01-15-2015, 05:32 PM

I have tried gumbo three times. One was a frozen dinner for 6 by jimmy dean or something similar, it was good. Had some from Popeyes that was good. Then last year, I was in Herndon, Va working their annual fair and a bar across the street was doing home made. I bought 7 big bowls of it that weekend, it was delicious. I have no clue if it had Okra or not, but I cannot wait to have some more. I would love to try making it from scratch.

You don't have to. Zatarians (sp?) has an excellent Gumbo Base you can buy.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 05:34 PM
oh! the sacrilege! A gumbo base? grabbing heart & falling off chair....next yer gonna tell me you use frozen, pre-chopped vegetables...or that you leave the celery out? oh...this younger generation...the death of civilization!

told ya I was a fanatic on the subject

Ravens Fan
01-15-2015, 05:47 PM
I just want to be able to eat it without having to resort to frozen dinners and fast food, lol. Think I'm going to start looking up some recipes... this thread makes me hungry.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 05:53 PM
I just want to be able to eat it without having to resort to frozen dinners and fast food, lol. Think I'm going to start looking up some recipes... this thread makes me hungry.

This is a shop in New Orleans...the seafood gumbo recipe is pretty close to how I make gumbo...except I use bacon grease instead of oil to make my roux.
http://www.gumboshop.com/recipes.php

Ravens Fan
01-15-2015, 06:02 PM
This is a shop in New Orleans...the seafood gumbo recipe is pretty close to how I make gumbo...except I use bacon grease instead of oil to make my roux.
http://www.gumboshop.com/recipes.php

Thanks Pol! I will have to try that one day soon.

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Good restaurant to eat at too.

Howey
01-15-2015, 06:23 PM
oh! the sacrilege! A gumbo base? grabbing heart & falling off chair....next yer gonna tell me you use frozen, pre-chopped vegetables...or that you leave the celery out? oh...this younger generation...the death of civilization!

told ya I was a fanatic on the subject

Try it! You'll like it!

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Zatarian (http://www.mccormick.com/Zatarains/Products)'s is usually good, but I did not like their gumbo mix. Gumbo is like sex. It is better to take your time and do it right rather than take short cuts. Gumbo is a day long process.

Howey
01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Zatarian (http://www.mccormick.com/Zatarains/Products)'s is usually good, but I did not like their gumbo mix. Gumbo is like sex. It is better to take your time and do it right rather than take short cuts. Gumbo is a day long process.

I should have made that distinction. But when you need a good, quick dinner and have everything in the fridge, it works.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
It takes me 2 days to make a pot of gumbo....I won't even use a food processer to chop the veggies...If ya gonna do something, do it right. Like Jimmy says:

A piece of French bread
With which to wipe my bowl,
Good for the body.
Good for the soul.
It's a little like religion
And a lot like sex.
You should never know
When you're gonna get it next.
At midnight in the quarter or noon in Thibadeaux

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Ya'll can talk that chit till the cows come home. I make a better roux than half of the planet. I never use a package to make ettoufee, but
this "Louisiana" mix has me beat. (at least for gumbo) I think it's got the file' already in it. And, Pol... I don't think there's anything other than steak that celery doesn't make better. Celery in boiled shrimp earned me sexual favors once.

nathanbforrest45
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
The beginning of any genuine gumbo recipe must begin "Start with a roux". If it does not start that way you might as well eat Campbells Chicken Gumbo soup.

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Ok, sport. My wife, and my daughter just raved about how good this was. Next time I'll make it from scratch with a bacon roux and see if they
cheer as loudly.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 07:09 PM
I tried a roux mix once. That was enough. If I'm gonna invest the time & money in a gumbo...its gonna be the right way.

Safety
01-15-2015, 07:18 PM

Give it a try.

Care to share a boudin recipe next?

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 07:24 PM

Back home in Louisiana we had a market that made fresh sausages- lots of different types.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
We do too...I would not try to make boudin...find a Rouse's Market. They make several types...including alligator boudin

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 07:26 PM
We do too...I would not try to make boudin...find a Rouse's Market. They make several types...including alligator boudin

You have to have equipment to make sausage. We had a hand grinder- it was a mess.

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Boudin is a big messy ordeal. If I wanted to make rice sausage, I'd have to buy too much stuff.. like the stuffing thingy and I don't like working with pork liver or any other that "stuff" that goes into it. Oh... I do love it. I've got 5lbs of "Dons" boudin in the freezer, but it's something best left to professionals. I've not mastered Jambalya, but I make a very good ettoufee'. I can make it in the New Orleans style, or the way they make it around Lafayette.

Safety
01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
You have to have equipment to make sausage. We had a hand grinder- it was a mess.

We have the equipment and have made traditional pork and beef sausage along with wild boar and deer. Was just wanting to try my hand at some boudin.

Safety
01-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Boudin is a big messy ordeal. If I wanted to make rice sausage, I'd have to buy too much stuff.. like the stuffing thingy and I don't like working with pork liver or any other that "stuff" that goes into it. Oh... I do love it. I've got 5lbs of "Dons" boudin in the freezer, but it's something best left to professionals. I've not mastered Jambalya, but I make a very good ettoufee'. I can make it in the New Orleans style, or the way they make it around Lafayette.

Ah, ok. Pol, where is that market you were talkin about?

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 07:31 PM
I made Jambalaya last week...good stuff.... :rollseyes:

The only box mix I like is Zaratains Dirty Rice...I kinda spice it up some but its good and fast.

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 07:44 PM
I made Jambalaya last week...good stuff.... :rollseyes:

The only box mix I like is Zaratains Dirty Rice...I kinda spice it up some but its good and fast.

HAHA... you told on yourself... Pot calling skillet bl@ck LOL!... No.. really, I know where your coming from on the mixed crap. "Louisiana" brand just happens to be a really good packaged substitute for browning flour for gumbo. BTW, pol, have you tried dry browning the flour
without adding the oil or bacon grease till you've browned it? If not... try it... it's tedious, but it's quicker than waiting for it to brown in grease.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I had someone tell me they made their roux in the oven...I guess it is like you said, with no grease or oil. I might try it...maybe...I'm thinking about it....

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 08:18 PM
That is the key- keeping the grease down.

Mr. Right
01-15-2015, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't chance it in the oven.... flour is cheap, but I'm not gonna try the oven. Seasoned cast iron skillet with 12" is fine... dump flour in
... bout a third of a cup depending on how much you need. You have to keep it moving. No more than 15 seconds with it sitting still over med.
heat. If it gets to loud, take it off the eye... slow it down. Take it off when you get the color you like. Add the grease if you feel you must.
You can get by with alot less of it if you please.

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:27 PM
I dunno...I'm a traditionalist on gumbo...I use a minimum of grease/oil. I let it cool & skim the top of the gumbo so there is no excess.

Mister D
01-15-2015, 08:28 PM
I dunno...I'm a traditionalist on gumbo...I use a minimum of grease/oil. I let it cool & skim the top of the gumbo so there is no excess.

It's a start. :smiley:

Mister D
01-15-2015, 08:29 PM
I use very little grease in 'wet' dishes like chilis, soups etc.

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 08:29 PM

Nice and easy. Day long. What I mentioned earlier. :smiley:

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Soups, Chili, dishes like that I brown the meat & drain it on paper towels. I trim all the fat off before browning it so there is little to no grease. I bought a strainer (?) that has the spout opening at the bottom. Let the soup, etc. cool and pour into the strainer and when you pour, its from the bottom with the grease on the top of the liquid. When the level gets down to the oil on top, stop pouring and throw that away. Handy little invention!

http://di3-4.shoppingshadow.com/pi/i.ebayimg.com/00/$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM76YBRyFr)iCH!~~_32-200x200-0-0.jpg?rqid=p42.69876a277860cef2033d&rqt=SRS&a=2&c=1&l=8086684&r=1&pr=1&pid=44793107&lks=0&fks=0

del
01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
how would you make a roux in the oven?

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 08:41 PM
I drain my meat in a colander after I brown it. Then add it to the chili. I could see how that would help with a roux. I am going to look into one. That is easier than a spoon skimming the top all day.

What is that thing called? Link?

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
soup strainer

http://www.epinions.com/review/Cooking_com_Stock_Soup_Strainer/content_537577361028?sb=1

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:44 PM
how would you make a roux in the oven?

I guess she was talking about just browning the flour without oil in the oven...I haven't tried it. I may try Mr Right's version without the oil...I do have a trusty black iron skillet to use!

del
01-15-2015, 08:46 PM
i make rouxes on tthe stove top so i don't burn them

mostly

Redrose
01-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I love gumbo! This is my last batch. Diabetic friendly with chicken, turkey andouille sausage and big ol shrimpies!

http://i.imgur.com/JBGeLPC.jpg

Looks sooo good I can almost smell it!

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:48 PM
me too...my husband said he can tell when the roux is ready from the backyard...he can hear the smoke alarm going off.

del
01-15-2015, 08:49 PM
my son told my wife that he knew dinner was ready when the smoke detector went off

he was about 4 at the time- i almost swallowed my tongue to keep from laughing

PolWatch
01-15-2015, 08:51 PM
men! even men in training!

Peter1469
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
I can smell the food and know when it is done. Or at the point of being done.