PDA

View Full Version : OK, I believe this was composed by a cop

Bob
01-23-2015, 02:44 AM
It is funny I enjoyed it so much that since it is done by a cop, it belongs in this topic.

.POLICE HARASSMENT

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran an e-mail forum with the local community (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian e-mail participants posed the following question:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied :

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.

Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.

At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty.

So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.
When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass.

This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follow:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment.

"My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like.

It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light.

Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours to determine why they didn't want to talk to us.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them.

Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they
pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites.

Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista.

Rich Wall

iustitia
01-23-2015, 02:59 AM
Abolish cops. State-sanctioned terrorism.

protectionist
01-23-2015, 04:00 AM

Leave your doors and windows open, before you go out today. I need a new computer and TV set. :smiley_ROFLMAO::smiley_ROFLMAO:

Common
01-23-2015, 08:28 AM

yeah right, and half the population would eat the other half.

Common
01-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Leave your doors and windows open, before you go out today. I need a new computer and TV set. :smiley_ROFLMAO::smiley_ROFLMAO:

People like her are the first to hit 911 when their ass gets scared

Common
01-23-2015, 08:38 AM
The officers intent was to show that most of the complaints of police harrassemnt are overblown media bullshit. Liberals HATE police, because liberals believe they should be able to do anything they want when they want and they champion some silly ass notion police shouldnt arrest minorities.

NYPD has apporx 36,000 police, Xamt is off duty daily, X amt has non patrol duty. Theres 8.5 million people In NYC they are never off duty so that number is constant. Do the math yourselves, how many residents per cop per shift everyday.

I rarely jump in on cop threads because they usually always end badly. The media has everyone convinced all police are criminals and murderers and hunt people to shoot and arrest. Intelligent people know better and realize, that there are just some bad cops and cops that make mistakes, just like theres bad everything else. Lawyers, Doctors, Politicians, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, GIs and Car salesman, school teachers and REPORTERS.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
I have never said or believed that all cops are bad. The great majority of them do their jobs with no problems. The media focuses on those who don't. How will the bad ones be stopped if they are allowed to continue their behavior? How will anyone know without attention?

No one thinks it wrong that crooked or bad politicians are spotlighted in the media. We all realize that attention on their deeds is necessary. Would it make sense for all politicians to say they will just quit doing their job because we don't want the bad ones to continue with their misdeeds?

Do we want incompetent or bad doctors to be allowed to practice medicine because it makes all the doctors look bad when the bad ones are exposed? Are we being unfair to demand that doctors do their jobs competently with minimum loss of life for their patients? When people are responsible for life & death decisions, shouldn't their actions be above reproach?

sachem
01-23-2015, 10:35 AM
I think we have to remember that a large part of the media's job is to focus on the bad/wrong/mistakes of people/society.

I honestly believe that most people are aware that the majority of cops are just doing their jobs. The good cops vastly outnumber the bad ones.

It was a humorous article. Well done.

protectionist
01-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I have never said or believed that all cops are bad. The great majority of them do their jobs with no problems. The media focuses on those who don't. How will the bad ones be stopped if they are allowed to continue their behavior? How will anyone know without attention?

No one thinks it wrong that crooked or bad politicians are spotlighted in the media. We all realize that attention on their deeds is necessary. Would it make sense for all politicians to say they will just quit doing their job because we don't want the bad ones to continue with their misdeeds?

Do we want incompetent or bad doctors to be allowed to practice medicine because it makes all the doctors look bad when the bad ones are exposed? Are we being unfair to demand that doctors do their jobs competently with minimum loss of life for their patients? When people are responsible for life & death decisions, shouldn't their actions be above reproach?

How can the phrase "all cops are bad" even be put into a sentence ? Saying > "I have never said or believed that all cops are bad" is kind of like saying "I have never said or believed that all days have rain" Why would anyone even imagine such senseless things ?

There are some bad apples in every group. We all know that. We just all need to be alert for the race-hustlers (like Al Sharpton) who come along and villainize cops (or whoever else) for their own personal advantage (and the media's irresponsible complicity)

Common
01-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Not the same thing Polwatch, the media doesnt just focus on bad cops the proliferate the perception by constant hit pieces day in and day out. They dont do that to Doctors or lawyers and besided doctors lawyers and politicians who are bad rarely Get caught.

I dont defend bad cops and I want them ALL off the street, but this crucifiction of police thats been going for months is over the top and its painting all police as bad guys. Every single mistake is made into a criminal offense when they are NOT.

Even when a police officer goes through LEVELS of investigation, from internal affairs, to city prosector to state police to FBI and the justice dept, if they all find theres no criminal intent and no civil rights violations. THATS no good for the cop haters, then its all a setup and cops get away with it.

Too much BS and lies going on and expounding on the truth to make police look bad because there is a new thing in this country where people dont want to follow laws, they think they have a right to break them if they want to.

Stop blaming police for busting you with weed, stop blaming police for ticketing you for speeding, double parking, texting or not wearing your seat belt or pissing in public. IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT, get on the Lawyers and politicians who wrote the friggin laws and tell them to make it legal. TELL THEM TO MAKE EVERYTHING LEGAL and you will never have to worry about a cop making a mistake again. You will just have to worry about your neighbor blowing your brains out.

Im getting increasing irritated with cop bashing from left wing idiots an blacks who are mostly full of shit.

iustitia
01-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I'd don't call the cops when I "need help". Calling cops is for faggots that can't defend themselves. It's a lie that we need cops and that the world would "tears itself apart" without them. Cops are aggression, period. Everyone would be better off without them security-wise and financially, except pigs themselves. Protect your own property instead of making me pay for it. Also, cops are generally stupid people and the system likes it that way.

The Xl
01-23-2015, 12:57 PM

If it's between the status quo and that, then I'm on board.

I'd still prefer peace officers who can't do whatever they want and aren't above the law, protected by the courts and legislators, but it doesn't seem like we're going to get a system like that.

The Xl
01-23-2015, 12:58 PM
I'd don't call the cops when I "need help". Calling cops is for faggots that can't defend themselves. It's a lie that we need cops and that the world would "tears itself apart" without them. Cops are aggression, period. Everyone would be better off without them security-wise and financially, except pigs themselves. Protect your own property instead of making me pay for it. Also, cops are generally stupid people and the system likes it that way.

I generally agree with this, but a police system doesn't inherently have to be that way. It sadly is now, though.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 01:05 PM
I agree there are some who using all cops as scapegoats for everything wrong with our society. Those people are trouble makers for fun & profit and don't deserve any attention.

The issue that I'm concerned with is a lot like what the AMA had to deal with many years ago. The AMA had assured everyone that no one but other doctors could decide if a doctor was competent. It was not something that non-medical personal could understand. The AMA assured us that they would handle incompetent or impaired doctors. Guess what? Only the most blatant violations were punished...all others were swept under the carpet. When this came to be common knowledge, it was changed. They failed in their duty to police themselves because they didn't want to tarnish the image of the good doctors.

Reality or not, we now have the perception that the same situation is happening some of the time with police issues. We see grand jury investigations conducted by DA's whose job performance depends on good relationships with their local police forces. Who does a DA depend upon for investigation & prosecution of crimes? The local police department. We see internal affairs investigations by the same police departments that are being investigated. How many police chiefs want the pubic to know that they have bad personnel? We had a local scandal a few years ago because the police force was changing how crimes were classified so it would look like they were really defeating crime in the area. If they will allow the changing of crime classifications to look better, why would we think they would be open to letting anyone know that they have bad personnel? Do you see why the situation makes some question the validity of their investigations?

There are few things worse than feeling helpless. When citizens feel that they are not receiving fair treatment and there is no recourse available to them, they get angry and frustrated. Its not nice but its human nature.

Common
01-23-2015, 01:38 PM
I'd don't call the cops when I "need help". Calling cops is for $#@!s that can't defend themselves. It's a lie that we need cops and that the world would "tears itself apart" without them. Cops are aggression, period. Everyone would be better off without them security-wise and financially, except pigs themselves. Protect your own property instead of making me pay for it. Also, cops are generally stupid people and the system likes it that way.

Your are a classic idiot and a sarcastic pos and a waste of oxygen kiss my ass

Common
01-23-2015, 01:42 PM
I agree there are some who using all cops as scapegoats for everything wrong with our society. Those people are trouble makers for fun & profit and don't deserve any attention.

The issue that I'm concerned with is a lot like what the AMA had to deal with many years ago. The AMA had assured everyone that no one but other doctors could decide if a doctor was competent. It was not something that non-medical personal could understand. The AMA assured us that they would handle incompetent or impaired doctors. Guess what? Only the most blatant violations were punished...all others were swept under the carpet. When this came to be common knowledge, it was changed. They failed in their duty to police themselves because they didn't want to tarnish the image of the good doctors.

Reality or not, we now have the perception that the same situation is happening some of the time with police issues. We see grand jury investigations conducted by DA's whose job performance depends on good relationships with their local police forces. Who does a DA depend upon for investigation & prosecution of crimes? The local police department. We see internal affairs investigations by the same police departments that are being investigated. How many police chiefs want the pubic to know that they have bad personnel? We had a local scandal a few years ago because the police force was changing how crimes were classified so it would look like they were really defeating crime in the area. If they will allow the changing of crime classifications to look better, why would we think they would be open to letting anyone know that they have bad personnel? Do you see why the situation makes some question the validity of their investigations?

There are few things worse than feeling helpless. When citizens feel that they are not receiving fair treatment and there is no recourse available to them, they get angry and frustrated. Its not nice but its human nature.

Then disband police, get rid of them entirely. Id be fine with that, then there would be no more to complain about. All the problems in the country would be solved instantly.

Cop haters are mostly clueless morons who make blanket statements that have absolutely no substance, like the two morons in this thread. They have absolutely no knowledge actually very few have any first hand knowledge. Its all the media with their hyped bs twhere most get they misguided opinions.

Or the jackass's that get busted and blame the cop because they got caught.

People can whine and lie all the want and it doesnt affect the guys on the job at all. My son in laws dont miss a beat and could care less. They go to work everyday and do what they do.

The Xl
01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Says the clown who gives all cops the benefit of the doubt and believes they should be above the law.

Hilarious. Biased simpleton.

Cthulhu
01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
yeah right, and half the population would eat the other half.
For about two weeks maybe.

Things will settle down shortly after.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Cthulhu
01-23-2015, 02:59 PM
I think we have to remember that a large part of the media's job is to focus on the bad/wrong/mistakes of people/society.

I honestly believe that most people are aware that the majority of cops are just doing their jobs. The good cops vastly outnumber the bad ones.

It was a humorous article. Well done.
The "just doing their jobs" line...

Ugh.

The Nazis did their jobs too. No, I'm not saying cops are Nazis. But "just doing your job" is not a valid excuse for piracy and violence.

When you consider what is needed yo have standing in a court room for a tort or a crime, most of what police do has little to do with justice.

Is not s mostly about revenue generation. If they do some justice along the way it is merely convenient.

Common
01-23-2015, 02:59 PM
For about two weeks maybe.

Things will settle down shortly after.

yeah sure, know what cracks me up people who think they know it all and dont even realize the facts that are right around them prove them wrong.

Like the pulled out of your ass statement you just made. People are killing people daily with the dirty scumbag murderous police, they are stealing, HOME invading, raping, Even with FULL PRISONS and somehow YOU think if there were no police all would be cool in two weeks.

This is why I know all the police haters are just clueless yappers, they have zero first hand knowledge of anything Police. All they KNOW is what they read in gossip rags like the daily news and they take that as gospel.

pffffffffffft im done with this silly thread that I should have stayed out of

Green Arrow
01-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Your are a classic idiot and a sarcastic pos and a waste of oxygen kiss my ass

If you can't handle responding to others without resorting to personal attacks, leave the thread.

Cthulhu
01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
yeah sure, know what cracks me up people who think they know it all and dont even realize the facts that are right around them prove them wrong.

Like the pulled out of your ass statement you just made. People are killing people daily with the dirty scumbag murderous police, they are stealing, HOME invading, raping, Even with FULL PRISONS and somehow YOU think if there were no police all would be cool in two weeks.

This is why I know all the police haters are just clueless yappers, they have zero first hand knowledge of anything Police. All they KNOW is what they read in gossip rags like the daily news and they take that as gospel.

pffffffffffft im done with this silly thread that I should have stayed out of
Common, you're wrong about me. I don't hate cops. Certainly I've been rubbed the wrong way by them but I don't hate all of them.

But in the absence of police people would get a little riotous. Perhaps my two week time frame is off. Maybe a few more.

Spontaneous order will arise - private security, watches and such will be implemented.

Leo's biggest problem is bad priorities.

3 squad cars for me and all I had was a headlight out - still didn't get a ticket either. No aggressive behavior on my end either.

Cops aren't the only answer, and increasingly are the problem.

Common
01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Youre wrong, you have no idea what people are capable of and you have no idea how many crimes police stop.

You like everyone else take you tiny little piece of the world, like 3 squad cars for a tailight and try to translate that into some vast intellect of Police SOP and the publics reaction to no police. Do you even realize how deeply stupid those statments are.

You and no one else on this forum knows a damn thing about police what their training is when their job goal is what they GO THROUGH on a daily basis. YOU KNOW nothing, all you do is take opinions based on flatulence and tainted biased gossip rag reporting and try to use that as your having some vast deep knowledge.

I dont bother to talk to people that try to tell me what they know, when i know they KNOW nothing.
Now im done with this and I wont respond further, its my bad for coming in here. I avoid them like the plague because of so many highly opinionated dont know nuttins.

Cthulhu
01-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Youre wrong, you have no idea what people are capable of and you have no idea how many crimes police stop.

You like everyone else take you tiny little piece of the world, like 3 squad cars for a tailight and try to translate that into some vast intellect of Police SOP and the publics reaction to no police. Do you even realize how deeply stupid those statments are.

You and no one else on this forum knows a $#@! thing about police what their training is when their job goal is what they GO THROUGH on a daily basis. YOU KNOW nothing, all you do is take opinions based on flatulence and tainted biased gossip rag reporting and try to use that as your having some vast deep knowledge.

I dont bother to talk to people that try to tell me what they know, when i know they KNOW nothing.
Now im done with this and I wont respond further, its my bad for coming in here. I avoid them like the plague because of so many highly opinionated dont know nuttins.
Dude, I'm going to disregard this because I think you're a little off. Maybe you're having a bad day or something. But this isn't how you usually roll.

When you re-center, I will happily have this conversation with you Common.