PDA

View Full Version : Great white shark attacks fisherman's boat in Gulf

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
PENSACOLA, Fla. — Fishermen who have seen a Panama City Beach man's recent video on Facebook might be thinking, "I'm going to need a bigger boat."
Scott Fitzgerald of Madfish Charters was fishing for amberjack Monday morning about 8.5 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico when he felt a big bump in his boat.

A great white shark was attacking the trolling motor (http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2015/01/21/great-white-shark-attacks-boat-in-gulf/22134893/)on his 22-foot Sea Hunt.

video

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/21/great-white-shark-attacks-fishermans-boat-in-gulf/22139055/

Mr. Right
01-23-2015, 10:02 AM
I read the article in PNJ, the Captain, Scott Fitzgerald got a ton of free advertising. The GW seemed to be pretty intent on having a meal in this encounter. I could imagine standing on the bow (pointy end) and having that monster bump the boat. The channel 10 affilliate showed a video of the trolling motor that the shark grabbed. I'm surprised there wasn't more damage.

Alyosha
01-23-2015, 11:17 AM
This is exactly why you will never see me on a boat in the ocean. I was on a cruise ship one time and I kept thinking about the Titanic movie and couldn't really sleep at night.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 11:23 AM
My husband & son have been trying to get me to go deep sea fishing with them for years....ain't gonna happen. There is stuff out there with a bottle of catsup, just waiting for me to fall overboard. If I can see the land I'm ok...no land...no me.

Several of the family have wanted to take a cruise...another thing that won't happen. I just don't find the idea of being penned up with a couple thousand strangers on a boat (that I don't trust) appealing. I'm a wuss.

Alyosha
01-23-2015, 11:27 AM
My husband & son have been trying to get me to go deep sea fishing with them for years....ain't gonna happen. There is stuff out there with a bottle of catsup, just waiting for me to fall overboard. If I can see the land I'm ok...no land...no me.

Several of the family have wanted to take a cruise...another thing that won't happen. I just don't find the idea of being penned up with a couple thousand strangers on a boat (that I don't trust) appealing. I'm a wuss.

My husband and I noticed one of those "cheap" cruises to all these exotic places and on a REALLY nice ship so we grabbed it and went for our first anniversary. Turns out it was a "senior" cruise and here we are in our twenties aboard a ship comprised 95% of people over 55 and maybe some people in their 30s and 40s.

At first we were like, well shit. Then because they all loved "young love" we were catered to by everyone. Everyone invited us to dinner. If we went onshore somewhere we were invited and they bought us things (I think because my husband was military).

And we did karaoke in the evenings and because I love Frank Sinatra and old music it was a blast.

I still worried about the ship sinking tho.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
The History channel had a show on called Shark Wranglers for a couple of seasons. It was the Ocearch project for tagging and tracking the movement of great white sharks. This is the site where the sharks are tracked. I found it interesting the distances these sharks travel.

http://www.ocearch.org/

Private Pickle
01-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Polecat
01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
I used to swim in the ocean without any concern. Those are past.

Ravens Fan
01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
I only swim in the ocean if there are dolphins around.

del
01-23-2015, 01:32 PM
we're gonna need a bigger thread

Mister D
01-23-2015, 01:34 PM
I used to swim in the ocean without any concern. Those are past.

I've only doen it a few times. It's an alien environment. We belong on terra firma. I respect a man who makes his living at sea but I really don't get the recreational aspect.

del
01-23-2015, 01:36 PM
you've got a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a shark

i've lived by the ocean all my life; i couldn't imagine not using it

Mister D
01-23-2015, 01:38 PM
you've got a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a shark

Oh, I know. Not really worried about sharks specifically. It's just a primal fear.

Common
01-23-2015, 01:47 PM
That doesnt even look like a very large great white, they get immense

Alyosha
01-23-2015, 02:05 PM

You're very brave.

Cthulhu
01-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Oh, I know. Not really worried about sharks specifically. It's just a primal fear.
My rule with ocean water is stick near the beach. When I can't touch or see the bottom - it's not to be played in.

Even then, a rip tide can seriously ruin your day.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 02:28 PM
I have seen sharks in 3' of water. If I can't see the bottom...I don't go in....and I've lived on the Gulf coast many years

Redrose
01-23-2015, 02:28 PM

I HATE the water. Been across the Atlantic on a ship. Never again. If I want fish I go to Red Lobster.

Mr. Right
01-23-2015, 02:29 PM
My best friend and I were spearfishing about 9 miles out of Pensacola Pass in about 1997. I had shot a grouper and several snappers. I always keep my stringer close to me hanging on my weight belt instead of on a stringer like some spearfishermen. The water was only about 75' deep
and I'd been down for around 10 minutes when I saw a shark about 7-8' (not huge). The shark was making jerky movements and it really surprised me when the thing charged me and folded its eyelids down. It was about 18" from me when I jabbed my spear into it's nose. I can't remember being that scared. The beast peeled off and I didn't see it again, but my ascent was like a telephone cord. I'd seen plenty of
sharks on prior dives, just none that acted like that one. It was a bull shark... very common for this area.

Mister D
01-23-2015, 02:30 PM
I HATE the water. Been across the Atlantic on a ship. Never again. If I want fish I go to Red Lobster.

Fishing is kind of peaceful. I don't mind that so much as long as it's calm and sunny.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
My best friend and I were spearfishing about 9 miles out of Pensacola Pass in about 1997. I had shot a grouper and several snappers. I always keep my stringer close to me hanging on my weight belt instead of on a stringer like some spearfishermen. The water was only about 75' deep
and I'd been down for around 10 minutes when I saw a shark about 7-8' (not huge). The shark was making jerky movements and it really surprised me when the thing charged me and folded its eyelids down. It was about 18" from me when I jabbed my spear into it's nose. I can't remember being that scared. The beast peeled off and I didn't see it again, but my ascent was like a telephone cord. I'd seen plenty of
sharks on prior dives, just none that acted like that one. It was a bull shark... very common for this area.

Bull sharks are more aggressive than great whites. They are ones that attack around here most of the time.

Mister D
01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Bull sharks are more aggressive than great whites. They are ones that attack around here most of the time.

Yes, they're supposed to be the most aggressive.

Common
01-23-2015, 02:34 PM

yes and bullsharks are known to go inland into fresh water and survive and attack. Great Whites get the most attention because they can become so HUGE. Everytime you hear about a boat attack its never smaller bullsharks its always the Great Whites

Common
01-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Yes, they're supposed to be the most aggressive.

I believe the last shark attack in Jersey was a Bull shark

Mister D
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I believe the last shark attack in Jersey was a Bull shark

Wouldn't surprise me.

Common
01-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't surprise me.

It was in brackish water too ill try to find the article

Matty
01-23-2015, 02:38 PM

Wa wa wa wa wah, :) I fell overboard one night in Crooked Island sound! I still here!

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
don't think you are safe from sharks in fresh water!

The Atlas of North American Freshwater Fishes describes the bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) as an aggressive shark that reaches 10 feet in length and has been known to attack man. Its range extends as far up the Mississippi River as Alton, Illinois.

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/news/sharks-in-illinois/#ixzz3PfvBvTpU

Redrose
01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Fishing is kind of peaceful. I don't mind that so much as long as it's calm and sunny.

I fished for several years, with my ex. I am terrified of the water, but I forced myself to do it. On LI, NY the bay can get rough. We got caught too many times in very dangerous weather. If I could fish on a lake on a pontoon, maybe. I agree fishing can be relaxing and fun, but I refuse to bait my hook with a worm.

Polecat
01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
I was swimming at Blind Pass beach several years ago where Sanibel and Captiva are split. I got out a little too far and got stuck in the current flowing towards the pass. I tried to swim towards the beach but after a couple of seconds could see that was not going to happen. I made full steam for the jetty and made it to the tip right before getting sucked through the pass. After that I stepped on something up at Englewood beach that was BIG and very strong. I went ashore and have never been back in the ocean. Good riddance.

Common
01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Wow this is a video of a Great White attacking a NJ fishing boat, this guy bites the side of the boat. The article says the fishmen said it was half the size of his 35ft boat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10919567/Great-white-shark-attacks-New-Jersey-fishing-boat.html

Common
01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
It was in brackish water too ill try to find the article

I was wrong Mr D it was a great white and it was caught in Raritan Bay and it was called the Jersey Man Eater.
it was in 1916 when there were several shark attacks along the jersey shore.

Mister D
01-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I was wrong Mr D it was a great white and it was caught in Raritan Bay and it was called the Jersey Man Eater.

Oh, that. That was the event that inspired Jaws. There were several attacks along the shore but there were also two (one fatal, I believe) in Matawan Creek during the same period.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Yipes! if that had been my boat...I would have been half way to Mexico before that shark got the bag!

Common
01-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Oh, that. That was the event that inspired Jaws. There were several attacks along the shore but there were also two (one fatal, I believe) in Matawan Creek during the same period.

Yep inspired the book and subsequently the movies. Yes, they said there was an influenza epidemic along the shore and that somehow inspired the sharks. How ? I have no clue, unless they were throwing bodies in the water or something.

Mr. Right
01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
I fished for several years, with my ex. I am terrified of the water, but I forced myself to do it. On LI, NY the bay can get rough. We got caught too many times in very dangerous weather. If I could fish on a lake on a pontoon, maybe. I agree fishing can be relaxing and fun, but I refuse to bait my hook with a worm.

Awe, come on Redrose, I guess squid would be a "no go" too?

texan
01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
I am a shark freak.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 03:29 PM
I still love Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. There is something so fasinating about creatures so deadly. I think its kinda like telling ghost stories in the dark....:rollseyes:

Redrose
01-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Awe, come on @Redrose (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1123), I guess squid would be a "no go" too?
Mr. Right
Actually no. I can bait with squid and anything else just can't do worms. Too much like snakes. I hate snakes. I have no problem taking the hook out of the fishes mouth either. I loved crabbing off LI. Blue claw, good eating. Blue fish was another fish I enjoyed eating, but they are nasty, they'll take your fingers off. We would knock them out as they broke the water on the line. Great filets.

Mr. Right
01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Around here, there are many delicacies in the Gulf. Crab, oysters, shrimp... There are also the fish. Top rated in my book are 1. Scamp, 2. grey triggerfish, 3. vermillion snapper. 4 Gag Grouper.. Offshore, Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, and swordfish. The Skipjack tuna and Blackfin tuna are great too, there's just more bloodlines in them. We catch lots of Red snapper too, but as a food fish, they're way behind the species I mentioned.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't like red snapper as well as bee-liners (?) Not sure what they are but that's what my husband brings home & they are good! Crabs, Shrimp, Oysters! I love flounder but not too many other salt water fish....too many of them taste fishy...yeah, I know.

Mr. Right
01-23-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't like red snapper as well as bee-liners (?) Not sure what they are but that's what my husband brings home & they are good! Crabs, Shrimp, Oysters! I love flounder but not too many other salt water fish....too many of them taste fishy...yeah, I know.

Beeliners as you call them are just slang for vermillion snapper. Some people call them "mingos"... I don't know why some fish have 3 names. I guess it's just local. The fishermen around Pensacola call Cobia Cobia. The people over in Mississippi call Cobia, "Lemon fish"... and
some people call them "Ling"... I just call them "Tasty Pelagic Slobs"...

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 04:19 PM
I haven't figured out why the same fish can have so many names. My father in law used to talk about all these different varities of bream...but they all looked the same to me.

Bob
01-23-2015, 05:03 PM
This is exactly why you will never see me on a boat in the ocean. I was on a cruise ship one time and I kept thinking about the Titanic movie and couldn't really sleep at night.

Now you can think about the Costa Concordia.

Saw on PBS a very good presentation of how they salvaged that ship. The final body was found once it was towed to Genoa.

Can a white shark really damage a metal trolling motor?

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 05:05 PM
the video in the OP shows the damage to the trolling motor...and this was a small great white

Bob
01-23-2015, 05:08 PM

Though I enjoy lobster, only one time could I stand crab. I get why you don't like some seafood. I feel the same way. I love Arctic cod but if it comes from warmer waters, not as much.

Bob
01-23-2015, 05:12 PM
the video in the OP shows the damage to the trolling motor...and this was a small great white

OK

It was a bit slow to load so I shall take your word.

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 05:18 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9dc5dca4547ddbd1b678a4b511d71a53fab6c79a/c=121-0-839-540&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/01/21/Pensacola/Pensacola/635574661747616509-10922549-404429686383850-6096804256366139950-n.jpg

Peter1469
01-23-2015, 08:50 PM
My rule with ocean water is stick near the beach. When I can't touch or see the bottom - it's not to be played in.

Even then, a rip tide can seriously ruin your day.

Rip tides can be fun. Just don't try to swim against them.

Peter1469
01-23-2015, 08:53 PM

I believe that is what inspired the movie Jaws.

Peter1469
01-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Red Snapper is one of my favorite fish.

Dr. Who
01-23-2015, 10:52 PM
I've been swimming in shark infested waters, but the the most dangerous things that I've seen are schools of barracuda, which are also dangerous, but as it happens were minding their own business. Humans don't look right to sharks so they don't generally go after them as food unless they are desperate. People on surf boards are mistaken by sharks as seal which is why surfers are often more likely to be attacked.

Common
01-23-2015, 11:07 PM
I've been swimming in shark infested waters, but the the most dangerous things that I've seen are schools of barracuda, which are also dangerous, but as it happens were minding their own business. Humans don't look right to sharks so they don't generally go after them as food unless they are desperate. People on surf boards are mistaken by sharks as seal which is why surfers are often more likely to be attacked.

You dont want to be stung by starfish, man they hurt and theres one type thats poisonus.

I was on a charter boat and we had a dry day couldnt hit anything, so we hit a school of mackeral, which to me are worthless full of bones oily fish. Others want to catch something so we anchored and they were fishing. A guy pulls up a 2.5 ft shark, dont ask me what kind, I looked over he was right near me, I looked at the shark looked away and this guy was SCREAMING, I turned the damn thing had a hold of his ankle one of the mates cut the sharks top of his mouth in half and still couldnt get him off. Finally they get him off and I couldnt believe the damage the small thing did. I couldnt even imagine some of those monsters out there grabbing me.

Dr. Who
01-23-2015, 11:23 PM
You dont want to be stung by starfish, man they hurt and theres one type thats poisonus.

I was on a charter boat and we had a dry day couldnt hit anything, so we hit a school of mackeral, which to me are worthless full of bones oily fish. Others want to catch something so we anchored and they were fishing. A guy pulls up a 2.5 ft shark, dont ask me what kind, I looked over he was right near me, I looked at the shark looked away and this guy was SCREAMING, I turned the damn thing had a hold of his ankle one of the mates cut the sharks top of his mouth in half and still couldnt get him off. Finally they get him off and I couldnt believe the damage the small thing did. I couldnt even imagine some of those monsters out there grabbing me.
A shark plucked out of the water where it cannot breathe will do anything it can to get uncaught.

Peter1469
01-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Shark is an excellent meal.

del
01-23-2015, 11:52 PM
i've only had mako and it was quite good

PolWatch
01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
The charter boats my husband has been on don't allow a shark on the boat. If they are hooked, the line is cut.

Barracuda are more dangerous to the average swimmer...'specially if you wear any jewelry. If a barracuda sees something shiny, they go for it, thinking its a minnow or small fish.

Common
01-24-2015, 12:08 AM
A shark plucked out of the water where it cannot breathe will do anything it can to get uncaught.

I saw that with my own eyes

Common
01-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Shark is an excellent meal.

Many scallops sold arent scallops at all but shark, they look almost identical. If you ever look to buy scallops if they are ALL the same size and mostly the same shape DO NOT buy them they are stamped out of shark meat. Real Sea scallops are very large and all different sizes and shapes.

del
01-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Many scallops sold arent scallops at all but shark, they look almost identical. If you ever look to buy scallops if they are ALL the same size and mostly the same shape DO NOT buy them they are stamped out of shark meat. Real Sea scallops are very large and all different sizes and shapes.

they do the same thing with rays

Common
01-24-2015, 12:21 AM
they do the same thing with rays

Yep they do, theres alot of hanky panky in the fish industry and its gotten really bad of late.

Fishing boats are expensive to lease and operate and if they arent hitting what they are out to hit they are screwed, the crew only makes money on what they catch. So if they catch a similar fish and filet and flash freeze them on the boat before they go in and toss all the debri overboard. They sell one fish for another when its packaged. You especiall can get screwed with the already prepared fish, meaning breaded and ready to bake or fry.

What I do is I only buy frozen fish in raw filet form, its no guarantee I can identify what the fish is but I have a much better chance from knowing what they should look like. One of the biggest ripoffs today is Flounder, fish being pushed off as flounder, Flounder is solid white fish its not opaque at all, if its opague its NOT flounder and Cod is being abused also because its been overfished. Cod is firm solid white fish, some of the crap you buy is soft mushy like pollock.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 12:27 AM
That is one of the reasons that I only buy from local fish markets. Since Viet Nam has been flooding the market with farm raised shrimp the local fisherman are having even more problems than usual. If a market doesn't have a certificate that they only sell Alabama Wild Caught seafood, I won't buy it.

I go to an old market that has been in business for close to a 100 years. They on the mouth of the Bay and the boats used to dock at the back door.....that's fresh seafood! They can't do that anymore but they still only sell fresh, local seafood. I pick out the fish I want and they clean it for me. The fish, shrimp & crabs were swimming in the Gulf that day or the day before!

Common
01-24-2015, 12:35 AM
That is one of the reasons that I only buy from local fish markets. Since Viet Nam has been flooding the market with farm raised shrimp the local fisherman are having even more problems than usual. If a market doesn't have a certificate that they only sell Alabama Wild Caught seafood, I won't buy it.

I go to an old market that has been in business for close to a 100 years. They on the mouth of the Bay and the boats used to dock at the back door.....that's fresh seafood! They can't do that anymore but they still only sell fresh, local seafood. I pick out the fish I want and they clean it for me. The fish, shrimp & crabs were swimming in the Gulf that day or the day before!

Im lucky not to far from me theres a port on the gulf where the shrimpers and scallopers come in and a the dungeoness crabbers. They sell so much on the shell in a small retail store whenever they have it. So you can drive there for nothing at times.

In restaurants all over the south theres a new fish, that I find nasty. Its farm raised in Viet Nam called Swai, its taken the place of tilapia as fried fish sandwichs and fish and chips. Its a tasteless fish to me very opaque with a lousy texture but they are using it all over around fla and they sell it in bags in samsclub and costco.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 12:39 AM
I've never liked tilapia...doesn't have much of a taste to me. The one good thing about tilapia is that it does very well as farm raised....grows quickly. I remember an article in Organic Gardening magazine many years ago that had instructions on how to raise them in a pool (of sorts) in a basement. The magazine was into self sufficient food production.

Common
01-24-2015, 12:43 AM
I've never liked tilapia...doesn't have much of a taste to me. The one good thing about tilapia is that it does very well as farm raised....grows quickly. I remember an article in Organic Gardening magazine many years ago that had instructions on how to raise them in a pool (of sorts) in a basement. The magazine was into self sufficient food production.

Tilapia at least has a firm texture not the soft opaque texture. Its just getting harder to get real fresh caught fish because of overfishing and cost. In todays world everyone who sells anything believes they should get rich on every sale.

Have you looked at the price of fresh fish and meat lately. I can afford it all and it just piss's me off when I think someone is ripping me off. I get obstinate lol imagine that and I wont buy it.

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 12:49 AM
The price of seafood fluctuates depending on season. Since I buy from a local fish market I probably get a better price. The fish or seafood are not pre-cleaned & frozen. They bring them off the boat and lay them on ice in the market....no middle man. We are fortunate because we know people who shrimp and some who oyster and we buy from them. Fresh water fish we usually catch. I enjoy fishing in the bayou in my back yard in the summer! :wink:

Common
01-24-2015, 01:26 AM
The price of seafood fluctuates depending on season. Since I buy from a local fish market I probably get a better price. The fish or seafood are not pre-cleaned & frozen. They bring them off the boat and lay them on ice in the market....no middle man. We are fortunate because we know people who shrimp and some who oyster and we buy from them. Fresh water fish we usually catch. I enjoy fishing in the bayou in my back yard in the summer! :wink:

Yes same with this port small retail store, the shrimp are staring at you and the fish are whole. Like I said they dont have it all the time, cant call and ask, you just have to go there hit and miss.

There is a very fresh seafood store in a restaurant, fresh stuff but OMG expensive. Last I was there grouper filets were 16.00 a lb

PolWatch
01-24-2015, 01:31 AM
that's outrageous! We must be lucky around here...the last time I bought flounder it was about $5.00 a lb. an shrimp are about 3 to 7...depending on size. I buy live crabs and they were about $13 a dozen the last time I bought some. I never buy frozen fish or shrimp.

Common
01-24-2015, 01:39 AM
that's outrageous! We must be lucky around here...the last time I bought flounder it was about $5.00 a lb. an shrimp are about 3 to 7...depending on size. I buy live crabs and they were about $13 a dozen the last time I bought some. I never buy frozen fish or shrimp.

That is outrageous I wouldnt buy it grouper at that price. Talk about crabs, I used to have crab parties back in the day and I used to buy bushels for 28 bucks. Id season and cook them then clean them. Lots of fun a bunch of friends sitting around drinkin beer and eating crabs.

Common
01-24-2015, 01:46 AM
Many many years ago when I was a kid I had an aunt and uncle that had a bungalo on mastic beach on the island, it was still ok place then. I used to love to go there and go crabbing and clamming, then we'd go right home and make crabs and spaghetti or clam sauce.

Peter1469
01-24-2015, 11:09 AM

I like shark better than scallops.

Common
01-27-2015, 06:10 AM
don't think you are safe from sharks in fresh water!

The Atlas of North American Freshwater Fishes describes the bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) as an aggressive shark that reaches 10 feet in length and has been known to attack man. Its range extends as far up the Mississippi River as Alton, Illinois.

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/news/sharks-in-illinois/#ixzz3PfvBvTpU

Down here if a shark dont git ya in fresh water a gator might

Common
01-27-2015, 06:11 AM
It is not good to eat shark meat because they contain a high level of mercury and in time it can affect your body.

Thats true andrew and also true of other fish as well

PolWatch
01-27-2015, 06:48 AM
It's only a real problem if you eat LARGE fish. It takes time for the mercury to build up in fish. Smaller fish are usually ok.

Captain Obvious
01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
I swim in the ocean every year, east coast. Caught sharks off that coast too, a 6' hammerhead once. I think you're more likely to get shot in the face by Dick Cheney than killed by a shark there.

Was swimming in the gulf coast a few summers ago with my son when a whole school of fish hurled themselves out of the water right onto us, I grabbed him and got the fuck out pronto. Stayed out a while too.

Private Pickle
01-29-2015, 07:23 PM
I swim in the ocean every year, east coast. Caught sharks off that coast too, a 6' hammerhead once. I think you're more likely to get shot in the face by Dick Cheney than killed by a shark there.

Was swimming in the gulf coast a few summers ago with my son when a whole school of fish hurled themselves out of the water right onto us, I grabbed him and got the fuck out pronto. Stayed out a while too.

Great Whites are moving south along the pacific coast. Small ones 8-12 feet have been caught off the coast of L.A.

waltky
12-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Starfish making a comeback on US west coast...
:cool2:
Starfish making a comeback on US west coast after illness killed millions
Thu, Dec 28, 2017 - Starfish are making a comeback on the US’ west coast, four years after a mysterious syndrome killed millions of them.

Between 2013 and 2014, Sea Star Wasting Syndrome hit sea stars from British Columbia to Mexico. The starfish would develop lesions and then disintegrate, their arms turning into blobs of goo. The cause is unclear, but researchers said it might be a virus. However, the species is rebounding. Sea stars are being spotted in southern California tide pools and elsewhere, the Orange County Register said on Tuesday. “They are coming back, big time,” Cabrillo Marine Aquarium aquarist Darryl Deleske said. “It’s a huge difference,” Deleske said. “A couple of years ago, you wouldn’t find any. I dove all the way as far as Canada, specifically looking for sea stars and found not a single one.”

Similar die-offs of starfish on the west coast were reported in the 1970s, ‘80s and ‘90s, but the latest outbreak was far larger and more widespread, a report by researchers at the University of Santa Cruz said. Beginning with ochre stars off Washington state, the disease spread, killing off mottled stars, leather stars, sunflower stars, rainbows and six-armed stars. It hit southern California by December 2013. “When it did [arrive], you just started to see them melt everywhere,” Deleske said. “You’d see an arm here, an arm there.”

The recovery has been promising. Four adult sea stars, each about 20cm long, were spotted this month at Crystal Cove State Park in Newport Beach. “It’s a treasure we always hope to find,” Crystal Cove Conservancy education coordinator Kaitlin Magliano said. “We lost all of them,” she said. “It’s good to see we have some surviving and thriving. Maybe the next generation will be more resilient.” The stars are not out of danger yet. The wasting syndrome never completely disappeared in northern and central California and it has reappeared in the Salish Sea region of Washington state, a report by the University of Santa Cruz said last month.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2017/12/28/2003684799