PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 06:49 AM
I purchased a Dell Inspiron 11 in December. Everything worked fine until 2 days ago when I tried to turn on the computer and got nothing but a blank, blue screen. After about 3 hours on the phone with tech support, the problem seemed to be corrected. One of the problems that showed up was the touch screen and mouse functions did not work. The tech rep said that someone had turned the functions off. I don't have any idea of how to turn these things off or on and no one else uses the computer.

The computer has worked fine for 24 hours. This morning, the touch screen is again not working. Is it possible that Windows 8 has a bug that is turning this function off?

Peter1469
02-05-2015, 06:51 AM
I can't help. I am happy with Windows 7.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm will have to contact Dell tech services again. I'm not going to try it until I've had more coffee!

Peter1469
02-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Good luck.

Chris might be able to help when he logs on.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 07:10 AM
My desk Dell uses Windows 7 & I love it. I'm not impressed with Windows 8.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 08:27 AM
The "blue screen of death" is usually due to hardware driver problems, the hardware you were having trouble with (mouse pad, etc.) may need driver updates, which is fairly easy. Ding me if you want me to walk you through it but you basically access your hardware through your control panel and click "update driver" and "find updated driver automatically" or something like that, just make sure you're connected to the internet, the operating system will go out and get the most updated driver (usually, not always).

I'm having similar issues with my new laptop, I've been swapping out hardware from the old one and I'm having trouble with some of the drivers, the video driver to be specific. I've been getting the occasional blue screen of death crash. There are code numbers on that screen, toward the top, few lines down. IN_CAPS_WITH_UNDERLINES, if you can catch them, google them, you'll find out more about what the problem is.

Windows 8 fucking blows. My kid has it on his notebook, It's virtually unusable. It's basically like every other Windows platform except they make you have to re-learn doing what you've been doing on older platforms for decades. That's the lovely thing about Microsoft, repackaging the same old shit in a different box = technology progress.

Yeah, I know - there are security enhancements. And personal information tracking enhancements too, trust me on that. You're naked and being cyber-raped, just keep that in mind.

Windows 7 sucks too, they all do. XP was the only ok version and they stopped supporting it recently.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I've had no problems with the Windows 7. I wish I could put it on my new laptop. I'm going to go back to the Dell support site and see if they can explain how the touch screen is turning itself off.

I am too much of a computer dummy to be messing around in the operating system or trying to change things. My record with computers is not good.....

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I've had no problems with the Windows 7. I wish I could put it on my new laptop. I'm going to go back to the Dell support site and see if they can explain how the touch screen is turning itself off.

I am too much of a computer dummy to be messing around in the operating system or trying to change things. My record with computers is not good.....

Good luck with that, let me know how that works out for ya (sarcasm alert).

Touch pads are funny, I've had them shut off and turn on by themselves too. I'm guessing calling Dell is going to be two hours on the phone with some turban taking you on a virtual boat ride. Give it a shot, maybe it works. If it doesn't, google really is your friend here.

The problem you're having - a million other people out there had the very same problem at one point or another and there's stuff on the interwebz on it. Those customer rep dudes are just reading shit from a cookbook, they have no clue what the issue is or how to solve it. You're getting the "government regulation" treatment generally.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 08:42 AM
yeap...I spent 3 hours on the phone the last time. When he finally got everything working again, he insisted that I had to have been the one to turn off the touch screen. That's why I thought I would try the chat function. At least they can type in English.

Maybe my 'puter is possessed?

Cigar
02-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Get a Mac for personal use ... :thumbsup:

Common Sense
Sounds like a driver issue.

So drive on over to the Mac store and buy a stable computer...

But seriously, it's probably a driver issue.

Cigar
I'm will have to contact Dell tech services again. I'm not going to try it until I've had more coffee!

Dell Tech Services Suck :tongue:

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 08:51 AM
yeap...I spent 3 hours on the phone the last time. When he finally got everything working again, he insisted that I had to have been the one to turn off the touch screen. That's why I thought I would try the chat function. At least they can type in English.

Maybe my 'puter is possessed?

Nah, just over-engineered.

Remember when computers first came out? They worked fantastically. Plug shit in and it worked. Load the program and it worked.

Now it's nothing but a sea of incompatibility, updates that do nothing, hardware doesn't work, you need this or that... I've been saying this for a long time, we're going backwards technologically.

I hear this tech segment on NPR in the mornings sometimes, these new tech people are talking about the explosion of technology, how billions and billions of devices are being connected, how your phone will run everything in your life virtually like driving your car or checking your carbon dioxide levels at home.

Yeah, fuck off - they can't get the basic shit to work without the user spending hours upon hours trying to fix. Fuck you and your technology.

...not you Pol, I'm referring to the industry.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
I understand what you are saying. The first PC I worked on was a TRS-80. I was doing million dollar estimates on it when IBM was still saying that PC's were a fad and would never catch on.

Chris
02-05-2015, 08:58 AM
I'd guess it's hardware or driver related, not Windows 8. I'd continue to work with Dell Tech Support.

Windows 8 is fine once you get used to it. 10 will be an improvement.

Cigar says get a Mac, lol. Back at school I worked as a research assistant to a psychology prof working on an app that converted analog brain waves to digital data. That was when the Mac came out and we got to test them. I must have smoked half a dozen. Literally, ran them so hard they started smoking. The Apple rep would come out, I'd show him, he'd shake his head, and give us another.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:00 AM
I understand what you are saying. The first PC I worked on was a TRS-80. I was doing million dollar estimates on it when IBM was still saying that PC's were a fad and would never catch on.

I ran a TRS-80 in high school, senior year.

It was late 80's when desktops started coming out I think but it was the early 90's when they started really being useful.

Then sometime around after Y2K (remember that) it started going downhill.

Keep this in mind, technology is designed to sell - not work. A fundamental concept in retail is to never sell a product that can never be replaced or you'll put yourself out of business. That's why stuff doesn't work anymore, you have to buy something else to get it to work. Then once you do they "upgrade" it and suddenly it doesn't work anymore.

Which is why practical users need to roll back to the basics and let the kids throw all their money at new shit that doesn't work but looks cool.

Common
02-05-2015, 09:01 AM
I dont have win 8 but ive been told that some hardware will not work with 8 and if you install it with drivers you get the bluescreen. I dont KNOW this to be true ive never had win 8 and never will.

Have you installed a new mouse or KB or anything recently

Everyone should avoid win 8, in the computer shop where I help out we never have less than 20 laptops with win 8 in for repair. I dont work on win 8 laptops.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:06 AM
I dont have win 8 but ive been told that some hardware will not work with 8 and if you install it with drivers you get the bluescreen. I dont KNOW this to be true ive never had win 8 and never will.

Everyone should avoid win 8, in the computer shop where I help out we never have less than 20 laptops with win 8 in for repair. I dont work on win 8 laptops.

Exactly - shit that used to work doesn't anymore.

That's "technology" and they use the scapegoat of "security" as an excuse.

Cars are the same way, over-engineered. Let's take a basic concept and douche it all up and make them less reliable and safe but we'll sell more.

Common Sense
02-05-2015, 09:07 AM
I'd guess it's hardware or driver related, not Windows 8. I'd continue to work with Dell Tech Support.

Windows 8 is fine once you get used to it. 10 will be an improvement.

Cigar says get a Mac, lol. Back at school I worked as a research assistant to a psychology prof working on an app that converted analog brain waves to digital data. That was when the Mac came out and we got to test them. I must have smoked half a dozen. Literally, ran them so hard they started smoking. The Apple rep would come out, I'd show him, he'd shake his head, and give us another.

You're judging Mac's by the computers you used in the 80's???

LOL...OK.

kilgram
02-05-2015, 09:10 AM
7 or 8 are better than XP and more stable.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 09:11 AM
The only thing I have installed is a plug in mouse because I don't like the touch pad mouse. Its a brand new computer that I got in December. I use it to access this forum and nothing else. I have loaded no programs, made no changes (I know my limitations). The touch screen is turning itself off with no help from me!

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:12 AM

That's certainly possible. But you shouldn't upgrade the OS unless you check into compatibility. Sounds to me like polwatch bought the computer with Win 8 installed, so that's on Dell.

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:13 AM
The only thing I have installed is a plug in mouse because I don't like the touch pad mouse. Its a brand new computer that I got in December. I use it to access this forum and nothing else. I have loaded no programs, made no changes (I know my limitations). The touch screen is turning itself off with no help from me!

Is it still under warranty? :grin:

Never did like those touchpads either, first thing I do is disable then and buy a mouse.

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:14 AM
You're judging Mac's by the computers you used in the 80's???

LOL...OK.

I'm saying there's nothing special about them.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Is it still under warranty? :grin:

Never did like those touchpads either, first thing I do is disable then and buy a mouse.

That's because you're not used to them.

Use it exclusively for a week and you'll be fine with it. A mouse with a laptop is just one more piece of junk to clutter up the process with.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 09:15 AM
yes...its still warranty

protectionist
02-05-2015, 09:19 AM

You can get your computer reconfigured to Windows 7. Pay somebody $30. They'll do it. In the future, never buy a new computer. As time goes by, later models are worse than ones that preceded them. That's because they run out of good changes to make, but feel compelled to keep introducing new versions, just to SELL more computers. Result ? The newer versions are going DOWNhill, not up. This should have been apparent to everyone the minute they did away with disc drives. They can keep touch screens too.

protectionist
02-05-2015, 09:23 AM

Use it exclusively for a week and you'll be fine with it. A mouse with a laptop is just one more piece of junk to clutter up the process with.

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard said about a computer. Pheeeeeww!! There are faster ways of dying than using a touchpad instead of a mouse. :geez:

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I have used the touch pad...I just like the mouse better. My Chihuahua likes the touch pad...

Common Sense
02-05-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm saying there's nothing special about them.

Well if you haven't used one since the 80's I could see why you think that.

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:27 AM

When they first came out I used them. Then one day I deleted the source code of a project I was working on because I inadvertently brushed the touchpad. No thanks! --Yes, had the code under source control so no real lose except the touchpad.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:30 AM
That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard said about a computer. Pheeeeeww!! There are faster ways of dying than using a touchpad instead of a mouse. :geez:

Again, that's because you don't know how to use it.

The touch pad does the exact same thing a mouse does, there's no functional disadvantage in one compared to the other.

It's just that like you, most people aren't accustomed to the touch pad.

So if you think this is "one of the craziest things..." then that just gives us an idea of your level of technical smarts.

You leave yourself wide open to this stuff, if you learned to not shoot up your feet so much you might have a better go at it here.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:31 AM
When they first came out I used them. Then one day I deleted the source code of a project I was working on because I inadvertently brushed the touchpad. No thanks! --Yes, had the code under source control so no real lose except the touchpad.

I know what you're saying, I've never really had that problem though but I've been using it fairly exclusively for years, so much that I have it down to a science.

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:32 AM
I also don't know how to fly an airplane.

Ravens Fan
02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
PolWatch I have a fairly new laptop with win8 too. I have a bad habit of not turning my computer off too often, and so it will go into standby. Every now and then (every 2-3 weeks), When I go to bring it out of standby, where it would usually go to the login screen, it will go to a completely blue screen, and the only thing I can do to use the computer again is to do a hard restart. I have yet to get an answer from HP on what is causing it on mine.

My computer also has the fingerprint reader, which is a waste of money and rarely works, I am not sure if that is part of my problem or not. Please let me know what Dell tells you about the blue screen.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:36 AM
@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099) I have a fairly new laptop with win8 too. I have a bad habit of not turning my computer off too often, and so it will go into standby. Every now and then (every 2-3 weeks), When I go to bring it out of standby, where it would usually go to the login screen, it will go to a completely blue screen, and the only thing I can do to use the computer again is to do a hard restart. I have yet to get an answer from HP on what is causing it on mine.

My computer also has the fingerprint reader, which is a waste of money and rarely works, I am not sure if that is part of my problem or not. Please let me know what Dell tells you about the blue screen.

Yeah, sure. I'm going to use the fingerprint reader and give my personal biological data to Microfascistsoft to hand over to the Dark Lord.

Thank you sir, may I have another...

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I also don't know how to fly an airplane.
Bob will show you how, in 5 easy steps.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 09:38 AM
The blue screen was never explained. I spent 3 hours on the phone and once I got the thing restarted I signed in online. The tech took control of my computer to fix it. He was insistent that I had turned off the touch screen. I wouldn't know where to find the info to turn it off!

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:40 AM
The blue screen was never explained. I spent 3 hours on the phone and once I got the thing restarted I signed in online. The tech took control of my computer to fix it. He was insistent that I had turned off the touch screen. I wouldn't know where to find the info to turn it off!

That's in your control panel also.

Or you can just click "help" and key in "how do I turn off my touch pad" and it will probably link you to it and walk you through it.

Find that help function, it really is fairly useful.

Chris
02-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Here's how to do that: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-tms/disable-the-touchscreen-for-a-windows-8-laptop/ca7baeb9-66f3-43d4-ac4e-2be90d55591d. It's not simple. Note that link goes to "Dell XPS L702x notorious for having ghost clicking issues".

Ravens Fan
02-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah, sure. I'm going to use the fingerprint reader and give my personal biological data to Microfascistsoft to hand over to the Dark Lord.

Maryland has had my fingerprints since I was 17, so I am not real concerned about that.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 09:44 AM
I think I'm going to just contact Dell support again. I'm afraid I'll do something to cause a worse problem.

Chris
02-05-2015, 10:01 AM
I think I'm going to just contact Dell support again. I'm afraid I'll do something to cause a worse problem.

Best. They will have log of previous call and can start there.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Waiting on hold for a service rep...only been 30 minutes so far. patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:02 PM
50 minutes on hold & counting...I really love having a new computer so I don't have problems.....

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:03 PM
50 minutes on hold & counting...I really love having a new computer so I don't have problems.....

I think you're wasting your time with the customer service stuff.

There is no more customer service, you are not a valued customer, you're a demographic and a statistic, nothing more.

Let me know by the end of the day if I'm wrong.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm practicing patience...if this fails, I'll practice postal....

Matty
02-05-2015, 02:05 PM

Tells me me the complaints are tntc and their product is shitty! If you ever get through tell them that!

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Tells me me the complaints are tntc and their product is shitty! If you ever get through tell them that!

I'll wait until they fix the problem...then I'll pass along the message

Archer0915
02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Get a Mac for personal use ... :thumbsup:

I hate MACs but that is personal. Yes because Apple is so tight and are such asses they pretty much guarantee you will not have these issues.

Matty
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
I'll wait until they fix the problem...then I'll pass along the message

I'd demand a refund!

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:17 PM
too late...It was a Christmas gift

Matty
02-05-2015, 02:19 PM
too late...It was a Christmas gift
Is it a laptop?

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Is it a laptop?

It's bigger than a bread box.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:22 PM
yeap...Dell Inspiron 11...(still on hold)

Matty
02-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Get an app called classic shell. It makes a windows 8 look and act like a 7.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:26 PM
they answered! 1 hr 15 min

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:28 PM
So, what did "Peggy" have to say?

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm repeating everything for everyone in the company...They seem to have a problem understanding English...go figure

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:30 PM
explanation: I'm on the forum on a different computer....not the laptop with the problem

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm repeating everything for everyone in the company...They seem to have a problem understanding English...go figure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2YoVQoy4Y

Chris
02-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Is Dell support still outsourced? I stopped buying their computers because of that. I thought I read a few years back they brought support back in house. Probably still sucks. I remember once a computer fan went bad. I mean you could hear it rattling. Still under warranty so I called Dell and trying to tell them what the problem was was a strange thing to them, that was their job, and they had a script to follow. Trick is escalating, tell the one you're talking to you want to escalate the issue, speak to their manager. Keep going up the ladder till you reach someone who can order others around.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Is Dell support still outsourced? I stopped buying their computers because of that. I thought I read a few years back they brought support back in house. Probably still sucks. I remember once a computer fan went bad. I mean you could hear it rattling. Still under warranty so I called Dell and trying to tell them what the problem was was a strange thing to them, that was their job, and they had a script to follow. Trick is escalating, tell the one you're talking to you want to escalate the issue, speak to their manager. Keep going up the ladder till you reach someone who can order others around.

The product that I converted our physician billing system to for the electronic health record proclaimed that they were "US customer service based in a specific state", but half of the customer service agents sound like Mohammads.

Redrose
02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
My in laws always bought Dell, their customer service stinks, they're in Bangladesch I think. They would mess their computer up often, so we would call the Geek Squad to come out and fix it for them. They speak English too.

There is nothing worse than trying to understand technical instructions from someone with a heavy foreign accent.

Good luck.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 02:56 PM
My in laws always bought Dell, their customer service stinks, they're in Bangladesch I think. They would mess their computer up often, so we would call the Geek Squad to come out and fix it for them. They speak English too.

There is nothing worse than trying to understand technical instructions from someone with a heavy foreign accent.

Good luck.

Well, you know that I have the sense of humor of a 13yr old.

When I call these people, I love how they give names like (in really bad, broken English) "Hello, my name is... Martin". I'll start fucking with them like "you're name's not really Martin, is it"? Then I'll ask them where they're at, what time is it, where are they going for lunch, are they paid in dollars or rubles, etc.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 02:58 PM
1 hour 45 minutes & its fixed! According to George (HA!) it was corrupted files. I guess the files rusted from 2 days ago. mutter, mutter, cuss, cuss....

Chris
02-05-2015, 03:00 PM
I had a Pakistani or Indian call me late last night--I've worked with both and know the accent and the rapid English--and he ranted about how my daughter came down the street and kicked his dog, kicked his dog, my God! how cruel, how evil, how could you let your daughter do that?!?!? Sir, I don't have a daughter, I think you have the wrong number. But, no, don't try to confuse me, you think you can fool me, you fuck, you stink! But I don't have a daughter. He ranted and raged and I hung up.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 03:01 PM
1 hour 45 minutes & its fixed! According to George (HA!) it was corrupted files. I guess the files rusted from 2 days ago. mutter, mutter, cuss, cuss....

Praise Allah!

Chris
02-05-2015, 03:02 PM

As Neil Young says, rust never sleeps. At least it's fixed!! --For now. :rollseyes:

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm still waiting for George (!) to finish writing up his notes before I can hang up the phone....

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm still waiting for George (!) to finish writing up his notes before I can hang up the phone....

Make sure you give him a nice tip.

PolWatch
02-05-2015, 03:05 PM
I had a Pakistani or Indian call me late last night--I've worked with both and know the accent and the rapid English--and he ranted about how my daughter came down the street and kicked his dog, kicked his dog, my God! how cruel, how evil, how could you let your daughter do that?!?!? Sir, I don't have a daughter, I think you have the wrong number. But, no, don't try to confuse me, you think you can fool me, you fuck, you stink! But I don't have a daughter. He ranted and raged and I hung up.

the way I'm feeling now...if I got a call like that I would probably tell him that I'm fixing to go kick him and shoot his dog....

Redrose
02-05-2015, 03:10 PM

Maybe he was mad because that kid was messing with his dinner?

Chris
02-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Maybe he was mad because that kid was messing with his dinner?

Ouch!

Bob
02-05-2015, 08:00 PM
@Bob (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1013) will show you how, in 5 easy steps.

Show him how to fly in 5 steps?

Let me bring you up to date @Captain Obnoxious ....

I am no instructor pilot. Those guys have a lot more training than I have. Being humble as I am, I don't pretend to teach fledglings how to fly. My hope for my passengers is they obtain a love of flying, that they are comfortable and not fearful. That they might also win by learning to fly. But from a fully licensed flight instructor. Chris, by all means, locate in your area a flight instructor. Try to find one that owns his own airplane and is willing to rent you his services and pay for his fuel. At the FBOs, you will also pay a rent on the airplane. There are good instructors willing to cut out you paying to use the airplane. Or if you rent the airplane, the fees will be minor.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 08:11 PM

I am no instructor pilot. Those guys have a lot more training than I have. Being humble as I am, I don't pretend to teach fledglings how to fly. My hope for my passengers is they obtain a love of flying, that they are comfortable and not fearful. That they might also win by learning to fly. But from a fully licensed flight instructor. @Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128), by all means, locate in your area a flight instructor. Try to find one that owns his own airplane and is willing to rent you his services and pay for his fuel. At the FBOs, you will also pay a rent on the airplane. There are good instructors willing to cut out you paying to use the airplane. Or if you rent the airplane, the fees will be minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_by5r8EUc

Chris
02-05-2015, 08:12 PM

I am no instructor pilot. Those guys have a lot more training than I have. Being humble as I am, I don't pretend to teach fledglings how to fly. My hope for my passengers is they obtain a love of flying, that they are comfortable and not fearful. That they might also win by learning to fly. But from a fully licensed flight instructor. Chris, by all means, locate in your area a flight instructor. Try to find one that owns his own airplane and is willing to rent you his services and pay for his fuel. At the FBOs, you will also pay a rent on the airplane. There are good instructors willing to cut out you paying to use the airplane. Or if you rent the airplane, the fees will be minor.

Couldn't afford to buy a plane. Though it would be fun to fly a single prop.

Bob
02-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Here is how you handle that.

http://www.manbottle.com/humor/Anger_Management

And to start you off, but please use the link and read this amazing story.

When you occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on someone you don't know.I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I'd forgotten to make. I found the number and dialed it.

A man answered, saying "Hello."I politely said, "This is Chris. Could I please speak with Robyn Carter?"Suddenly a manic voice yelled out in my ear "Get the right f***ing number!" and the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could be so rude .

When I tracked down Robyn's correct number to call her, I found that I had accidentally transposed the last two digits.After hanging up with her, I decided to call the 'wrong' number again.When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled "You're an asshole!" and hung up.

Bob
02-05-2015, 08:22 PM

This is what we experience here in the SF Bay area when it comes to doctors. I am very lucky that my doctors are native citizens who speak good english. But the phone book is mostly those you have trouble with.

Bob
02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Couldn't afford to buy a plane. Though it would be fun to fly a single prop.

Few pilots own. We rent. This way the insurance, maintenance, etc. is paid for by the owner. He can't afford his plane which is why he rents to us. Chris

Who has a spare several hundred thousand dollars. Hourly rent around this area is maybe twenty dollars.

Chris
02-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Few pilots own. We rent. This way the insurance, maintenance, etc. is paid for by the owner. He can't afford his plane which is why he rents to us. Chris

Who has a spare several hundred thousand dollars. Hourly rent around this area is maybe twenty dollars.

I'll give it some thought.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Lol! I would never use a fingerprint reader on a MS computer. I actually think about the MS updates and wonder whether I should allow them. :undecided: It seems to me updates are the causes for most of my computer issues.

Peter1469
02-05-2015, 09:33 PM
The updates are needed to patch the weaknesses. If you don't update, you will get flooded with viruses, etc.

Captain Obvious
02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Lol! I would never use a fingerprint reader on a MS computer. I actually think about the MS updates and wonder whether I should allow them. :undecided: It seems to me updates are the causes for most of my computer issues.

Agreed.

Shit updates far, far too often. I'm skeptical.

And, more often than not, after an update - shit I had working suddenly stops working. I know I'm not alone in this phenomenon.

It's almost a reason to be offline as often as possible.

Dr. Who
02-05-2015, 09:44 PM
The updates are needed to patch the weaknesses. If you don't update, you will get flooded with viruses, etc.
I realize that, it's what else is contained in the updates that concern me. MS is very sneaky.

Archer0915
02-05-2015, 10:43 PM

That is not necessarily the case. Yes the updates do address security issues but they do more than that. They add features, change many little things and many times will cause a PC to not reboot.

I have one PC that I do not allow to update, actually all of my home made PCs are set to not install updates automatically. I choose what updates when and this way I can remove the last one when my PC will not boot.

Chris
02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Software development is moving toward continuous delivery to where mods and fixes get pushed soon as they're made and QA'd. It used to be you got massive updates once a year or so, now they're released smaller and more often. It'll be happening more frequently. It's all good.

Many of you all are far too paranoid.

Captain Obvious
02-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Software development is moving toward continuous delivery to where mods and fixes get pushed soon as they're made and QA'd. It used to be you got massive updates once a year or so, now they're released smaller and more often. It'll be happening more frequently. It's all good.

Many of you all are far too paranoid.

Thank you for your blind trust in the system, you're a credit to us all.

Chris
02-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Thank you for your blind trust in the system, you're a credit to us all.

And your blind fear?

Working in the industry gives me a little insight into managing release cycles.

Captain Obvious
02-06-2015, 08:24 AM
And your blind fear?

Working in the industry gives me a little insight into managing release cycles.

Ok Eichmann...