PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Speech The End of The Surge

Conley
06-23-2011, 01:02 AM
President Barack Obama Wednesday announced the much-anticipated plan to begin a U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, saying the first 10,000 troops will be brought home by the end of this year.

The rest of the “surge” of 33,000 troops sent to beat back the resurgent Taliban last year will be withdrawn by the end of next summer. The pullout will continue at a steady pace until the last U.S. forces return home in 2014, the president said in an address to the nation from the White House.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/22/obama-orders-first-troops-home-afghanistan/

The day before the president’s speech, the Pew Research Center released results of its latest survey on the issue, which found that for the first time a majority of Americans — 56 percent — favor withdrawing troops from Afghanistan “as quickly as possible.”

So, did anyone watch the speech?

Conley
06-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Duncan Hunter:

"Hunter, a Marine combat veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq and a member of the House Armed Services Committee, recently called for a major pullback in the scope of the mission.

“There cannot be a gradual drawdown of troops without a change in mission objectives. A successful counterinsurgency operation in Afghanistan would require double or even triple the number of soldiers and Marines,” he said, but “counterterrorism operations linked to a more simplified set of objectives are sustainable with a significantly smaller force size.”

---

well stated imo

also, we're projected to spend $120 BILLION in Afghanistan next year. That's over 1/6 of our total defense budget.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png

GRUMPY
06-23-2011, 06:17 AM
the messiah is immaculated, removes the commander in afghanistan and replaces him with his own.....late in the summer of 09 it is revealed on 60 minutes that the messiah has had one conversation with his commander since placing him in charge of the necessary, good war.....a flurry of much publicized activity follows as the pretender and chief is shown to be in deep consultation with one of his many councils....some three months later a decision was reached to surge the troop levels, a strategy that the messiah discredited in iraq....the surge would be some 30,000 troops to begin withdrawal the summer of 2011....of course the commander on the ground had asked for between 40-60,000 troops.....now we have announced yet another time line for withdrawal to our enemy....why the surge in the first place and what the hell are we doing there....i say again if we are not all in then get out....obama has no commitment to this war, it is for him an annoying distraction, and pretense......

Mister D
06-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I caught part of BO's speech last night before bed. Not too bad. I guess it's what I expected. This guy always makes a point of coalition building and not going it alone.

Conley
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I caught part of BO's speech last night before bed. Not too bad. I guess it's what I expected. This guy always makes a point of coalition building and not going it alone.

yes, he's a smooth operator. if only the words coming out of his mouth were true :(

Mister D
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM

yes, he's a smooth operator. if only the words coming out of his mouth were true :(

:D

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Notice how close this pull-out date is to the POTUS election.

GRUMPY
06-24-2011, 08:42 AM

he is not a smooth operator and the words are never an expression of the truth.....all that is required is that one listen and think....

http://blogs.cbn.com/WhiteHouseWrap/archive/2011/06/23/commander-in-chief-misspeaks-about-soldier-killed-in-afghanistan.aspx

this fool could care less it is all about the show....have we forgotton the white house publicized secret/private viewing of the coffins of our dead soldiers, complete with camera crews and press notified....

Conley
06-24-2011, 08:59 AM
yes, it's unfortunate that he got the name of the soldier wrong. i suppose i mean he is smooth when he has the assistance of a teleprompter.

i wasn't aware of the christian broadcasting network website. it's...interesting. i consider myself a christian but some of that stuff is just so in your face and over the top. it's almost like pro wrestling with the yelling and the theatrics.

blaster
06-16-2016, 06:04 PM
President Barack Obama Wednesday announced the much-anticipated plan to begin a U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, saying the first 10,000 troops will be brought home by the end of this year. The rest of the “surge” of 33,000 troops sent to beat back the resurgent Taliban last year will be withdrawn by the end of next summer. The pullout will continue at a steady pace until the last U.S. forces return home in 2014, the president said in an address to the nation from the White House. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/22/obama-orders-first-troops-home-afghanistan/ (/news/2011/jun/22/obama-orders-first-troops-home-afghanistan/) The day before the president’s speech, the Pew Research Center released results of its latest survey on the issue, which found that for the first time a majority of Americans — 56 percent — favor withdrawing troops from Afghanistan “as quickly as possible.” So, did anyone watch the speech? There shouldn't have been any "surge" to begin with. We should have just carpet bombed the place flat and declared victory.