PDA

View Full Version : Serving in Service Organizations

birddog
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Do may of you Vets serve in the AL, VFW, AMVETS etc chairs, especially District Commander and higher? Just curious.

MMC
06-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Miltary Order of the Purple Heart.....but I don't Hold any Chairs.

birddog
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm active in the American Legion. I have been through the District Chairs, and now am about to finish my first in the Division. I'm Jr Vice Commander now, and soon will be Sr Vice. My wife chairs the Div POW/MIA committee, but she doesn't want to be an officer. Something to do, and we meet lots of good people interested in helping Veterans and families.

This year, I'm in charge of the Hospitality Rooms at three conventions. I have a couple of boxes of booze, and I rarely take a drink. What a shame. One more Hosp Rm to go, then I hand it to the next guy.

Peter1469
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I got into a local VFW (New Orleans) after the Gulf War and gave them money for beer. But other than that I haven't be involved.

MMC
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
We also help with getting donations for Vets. Homeless Vets and of course Disabled Vets. Clothes, Furniture, Cars, etc. Even services like thru kids starting up their buisnesses. Such as painting, and yardwork and cleaning out garages. Wish we could get more young people into it. But it's not a lot of money when coming from those that are seniors or disabled. Still they do make a difference by caring.

birddog
06-23-2012, 05:37 PM
There are many ways to serve for sure. My wife, a couple of other lady Vets, and some auxiliary members recently got together nearly 300 throws(small blankets) for Disabled Vets coming back. They need them on the planes and elsewhere to keep warm.

Conley
06-23-2012, 05:51 PM
We also help with getting donations for Vets. Homeless Vets and of course Disabled Vets. Clothes, Furniture, Cars, etc. Even services like thru kids starting up their buisnesses. Such as painting, and yardwork and cleaning out garages. Wish we could get more young people into it. But it's not a lot of money when coming from those that are seniors or disabled. Still they do make a difference by caring.

I take every tax write off that I can and give to charities instead...I know they will spend it better than DC

MMC
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Thats for sure.....couple other groups and we went to pass out blankets and winter coats to the homeless under Wacker Drive in Chicago. Right now in the Suburb of Mattheson Illinois they are showing kids about tent and box cities. Letting them camp out and see what it is like. As more families are being put out of their homes.

Course some go for the camping gear and generators if they have or are near a source. At least the smarter ones do.

birddog
07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
We got back last night from the state Legion Convention in Springfied. We are recovering today from all the work and hours of maintaining a hospitality room AND attending some of the meetings. My wife did more work than I did, and is to be commended.

I am now promoted to Sr-Vice Commander of the 5th Division, so I don't have to lug around all the booze and supplies.

KSigMason
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm a member of the VFW, but only a member right now.

birddog
08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I just spent a couple of days in Indy at a National mtg on Legion membership. I heard a rousing speech from a recently retired Col. Southerland. He was in charge of a group going into a ME village to rally the locals to be better soldiers as the Taliban was taking over. The Colonel's longtime Sergeant wasn't supposed to go due to a wound, but he went anyway. He told the Col as they got to the hot area that they knew he was in the group and his place in the wedge formation. The Sgt insisted on trading places with his Col., and took a bullet in the forehead leaving a wife and kids. :cry:

Peter1469
08-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Standing. Hand salute.

Evan Mazepa
11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
There are many ways to serve for sure. My wife, a couple of other lady Vets, and some auxiliary members recently got together nearly 300 throws(small blankets) for Disabled Vets coming back. They need them on the planes and elsewhere to keep warm.

Your wife and those ladies are doing a very wonerful thing. I was one of those who got shipped back in a C-141 medical transport from Japan ( Vietnam initially of course ) through Alaska and I vividly recall being greated at Elmendorf AFB by members of of an Alaskan Amrican Legion post and they can over to evry stretcher and talked a few minuteswelcomed us home and asked if they can get anything for us. That act alone of just welcoming us was the most important one and they did give us some nice goodies. Those Alaskan vets made such an impression on me that I had a tremendous impression of Alaska and was palnning to visit there and hopefully fish for salmon. Sadly the Palin Puke just ruined my opinion of Alaska.

Evan Mazepa
11-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Since I retired I have been volunteering at the nearest VA facility. It is the most rewarding experience I havae had as a a volunteer.

Peter1469
11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
After the Gulf War when I was in college I sent my local VA a check for the beer fund each month. Never went.