PDA

View Full Version : Octopus vs. Crab

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Who knew an octopus could grab a live crab off a rock, then take it back into the water.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/02/25/video-captures-octopus-grabbing-crab-in-surprise-land-attack/

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 04:03 PM
That was cool. I never knew an octopus would come onto land.

Chris
02-26-2015, 04:07 PM
I could eat that octopus--taco sushi!!

sachem
02-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I never knew that about the octopus either.

pragmatic
02-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Saw a show on giant squids last night.

Holy sweet baby jeebus....!!!!

Redrose
02-26-2015, 05:16 PM
If I was sitting there on those rocks and that thing leaped out of the water I would have died right there.

I never knew an octopus could do that. If a small one can do that, couldn't a BIG one do the same????

Good grief!!

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't know, but it would be neat to find out.

Ravens Fan
02-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Maybe from a distance...

Redrose
02-26-2015, 05:25 PM

For who, the octopus?

I don't go in the water.

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 05:30 PM
I could eat that octopus--taco sushi!!

Redrose and I have talked about how good the Greeks in Tarpon Springs can cook these. They're awesome. Our seafood mkt carries them
flash frozen, but they have to be cooked well, or you'll think you're chewing on a michelin.

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 05:33 PM
For who, the octopus?

I don't go in the water.

Gotcher nose! LOL

Redrose
02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
When I was a teen we would go to Melody Lake in northern New Jersey. Nice little lake, pretty area. I hated the water, couldn't swim anymore due to a close drowning as a child, but I forced myself to be part of the fun. We'd play chicken, and the girls would be on the guy's shoulders. When we fall in the water we'd come up covered in leeches. I hated it. I thought they were tadpoles, when I learned they were leeches I freaked out. YUK!

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 06:00 PM
For who, the octopus?

I don't go in the water.

I like water so far as I can see. I was in the ocean with the wife and she was just standing in 5' of water- and a sting ray swam between her legs. She freaked out when I told her about it.

I have goggles and half flippers.

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
I was in the early time of my spearfishing career and under a production platform in about 90' South of Gulfport, MS. I'd harvested a grouper, and was shooting and stringing red snappers as fast as I could. There was no limit on them then, and I only had about 17 minutes at that
depth. I looked up and saw a Manta Ray that was wider than my boat and half as long. I nearly peed my suit. At that time I had no idea they were harmless. The creature was just curious. I ascended on the inside of one of the legs of that platform and was about as paranoid as a diver can be after seeing something that's big enough to eat you if it took the notion.

Redrose
02-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I would love to snorkle, but my fear of water prevents even that. I can't even shower, can't have water on my head. I have showered in the hospital when I was in, but it's a major struggle. I've noticed it's gotten worse with age. I suppose I've figured out there is no good reason for me to subject myself to that trauma. I live a very nice life on dry land. If an octopus ever lands on me, it will be because I pissed off some guy in a fish store. lol

Mister D
02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
I would love to snorkle, but my fear of water prevents even that. I can't even shower, can't have water on my head. I have showered in the hospital when I was in, but it's a major struggle. I've noticed it's gotten worse with age. I suppose I've figured out there is no good reason for me to subject myself to that trauma. I live a very nice life on dry land. If an octopus ever lands on me, it will be because I pissed off some guy in a fish store. lol

If the water is warm, clear, and I'm with a whole bunch of people I think I could do it and enjoy it.

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 06:25 PM
If the water is warm, clear, and I'm with a whole bunch of people I think I could do it and enjoy it.

If you can see in the water all you have to be able to do is swim faster than the slowest one. :smiley:

Redrose
02-26-2015, 06:31 PM
My ex and I were on a charter fishing boat one summer off Long Island. The man running the charter was a typical old rough fisherman. We were catching bluefish. They are mean, and have nasty teeth. In our little boat we would whack them with a hammer as they come out of the water on our line, before you attempt to remove the hook. On this charter, this old "experienced" fisherman took the hook out of this 20" blue and it took his index finger off between first and second knuckle. I was horrified, he just gutted the fish right there, found his finger, and returned to the dock and straight to the hospital where they reattached it. Just another day for him.

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 06:44 PM

You mean like in a HOT TUB!!! LOL j/k

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 06:47 PM
My ex and I were on a charter fishing boat one summer off Long Island. The man running the charter was a typical old rough fisherman. We were catching bluefish. They are mean, and have nasty teeth. In our little boat we would whack them with a hammer as they come out of the water on our line, before you attempt to remove the hook. On this charter, this old "experienced" fisherman took the hook out of this 20" blue and it took his index finger off between first and second knuckle. I was horrified, he just gutted the fish right there, found his finger, and returned to the dock and straight to the hospital where they reattached it. Just another day for him.

I hate those fish. We catch them down here occaisionally. They're bloody and just a general bother.

Redrose
02-26-2015, 06:56 PM
I hate those fish. We catch them down here occaisionally. They're bloody and just a general bother.

They're good eating though if you get them on ice right away, if not they get a strong fishy taste.

I would take a filet about 5" x 5" about 1.5 thick and put it in aluminum foil cover it with sliced onions, S & P, mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup diluted with white wine not water. Close up the foil like a packet and bake. The longer it cooks the better it is. It is steamed in the foil and the wine and stuff are absorbed into the filet. It's delicious.

PolWatch
02-26-2015, 07:14 PM
If I can see through the water to the bottom, I'm just fine. I've seen 5' - 6' sharks in 3' water

Redrose
02-26-2015, 07:22 PM
If I can see through the water to the bottom, I'm just fine. I've seen 5' - 6' sharks in 3' water

We were crossing a bridge near Sanibel Island in Florida, and I was looking at the beauiful water. There were swimmers about 30'-40' off shore. Not 20' from them was a big...BIG shark. They apparently didn't realize it judging from how calmly they were swimming. Judging from the size of the people, the shark had to be 10' to 12'. There was no traffic, so we stopped. People were screaming off the bridge to them but it was too far away. When we left minutes later, the shark was still there swimming in lazy circles not far from several swimmers. Apparently his fins were not above the surface so no one could see him.

Scary.

Mr. Right
02-26-2015, 07:31 PM
They're good eating though if you get them on ice right away, if not they get a strong fishy taste.

I would take a filet about 5" x 5" about 1.5 thick and put it in aluminum foil cover it with sliced onions, S & P, mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup diluted with white wine not water. Close up the foil like a packet and bake. The longer it cooks the better it is. It is steamed in the foil and the wine and stuff are absorbed into the filet. It's delicious.

You could have just as well used a 5"X5" piece of plywood and it would have been good. That sounds wonderful.

Redrose
02-26-2015, 07:39 PM
You could have just as well used a 5"X5" piece of plywood and it would have been good. That sounds wonderful.

It is good. It's even good as a left over.

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Me too. I am fine if I can see them.

Bob
02-26-2015, 09:22 PM
When I was a teen we would go to Melody Lake in northern New Jersey. Nice little lake, pretty area. I hated the water, couldn't swim anymore due to a close drowning as a child, but I forced myself to be part of the fun. We'd play chicken, and the girls would be on the guy's shoulders. When we fall in the water we'd come up covered in leeches. I hated it. I thought they were tadpoles, when I learned they were leeches I freaked out. YUK!

First on the octopus from it eating to being eaten.

The video was shot at Australia as I am sure you probably know.

I was wondering if this particular octopus simply adapted to this way of hunting? I wonder if all smaller octopus can leap out of the sea? As to taste. I tasted this one time at a pals home. I spit it out. I have a hard time choking down some sea food. Crabs for instance. Lobster to me is awesome. I like freshwater fish and also say Cod taken from super cold water. I don't like farmed fish. I can taste the stuff they eat to grow.

As to the leaches. I only see them on film. Can you feel them and does the bite hurt?

Bob
02-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Forgive me but I see Hillary the same way as that crab. Somebody came out of nowhere and snagged her and dragged her down. I think she might be gun shy this time in fear of being dragged down again.
:grin:

Peter1469
02-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I rarely eat sushi, but octopus is good.

Redrose
02-26-2015, 09:36 PM
First on the octopus from it eating to being eaten.

The video was shot at Australia as I am sure you probably know.

I was wondering if this particular octopus simply adapted to this way of hunting? I wonder if all smaller octopus can leap out of the sea? As to taste. I tasted this one time at a pals home. I spit it out. I have a hard time choking down some sea food. Crabs for instance. Lobster to me is awesome. I like freshwater fish and also say Cod taken from super cold water. I don't like farmed fish. I can taste the stuff they eat to grow.

As to the leaches. I only see them on film. Can you feel them and does the bite hurt?

I was running around screaming so it's hard to recall. I remember you could feel there was "something" on your skin, then of course we girls all started screaming. The boys didn't mind them like we girls did. They were small, about 3/4" to one inch. I thought they were tadpoles. I know the larger one do bite or suck or whatever and leave a mark. You have to pull them off, the larger ones the guys would use a lighted cigatette to remove. All I ever got were small red marks the size of a bug bite. They didn't itch or hurt. Disgusting things. I don't like lakes, the bottom is too slimy.

Dr. Who
02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
I was in the early time of my spearfishing career and under a production platform in about 90' South of Gulfport, MS. I'd harvested a grouper, and was shooting and stringing red snappers as fast as I could. There was no limit on them then, and I only had about 17 minutes at that
depth. I looked up and saw a Manta Ray that was wider than my boat and half as long. I nearly peed my suit. At that time I had no idea they were harmless. The creature was just curious. I ascended on the inside of one of the legs of that platform and was about as paranoid as a diver can be after seeing something that's big enough to eat you if it took the notion.
Saw a manta ray between St. Vincent and Bequia while we were under sail. It must have been close to 20 feet from wing tip to wing tip. He was enormous. The captain of the boat we had chartered had been sailing for over twenty years and had never seen one so incredibly large, especially because they usually stick to deep water. It was a truly amazing sight. All black on top and white underneath. The wingtips came out of the water, like he was flying and then he disappeared. We were mesmerized by the sight of him.

Redrose
02-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I rarely eat sushi, but octopus is good.

Squid I like, but octopus not so much. I guess it depends on the recipe.

Chris
02-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Squid I like, but octopus not so much. I guess it depends on the recipe.

Squid is great too if very fresh.

Chris
02-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Another fascinating thing about the octopus: How Male Octopuses Avoid Being Eaten By Hungry Females (http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150223-mysteries-of-cannibal-octopus-sex):

Male octopuses have a big problem: female octopuses. Each male wants to mate and pass on his genes to a new generation. The trouble is, the female is often larger and hungrier than he is, so there is a constant risk that, instead of mating, the female will strangle him and eat him.

The males have a host of tricks to survive the mating process. Some of them can quite literally mate at arm's length. Others sneak into a female's den disguised as another gal, or sacrifice their entire mating arm to the female and then make a hasty retreat.

It's all very macabre. It's also a paradox. Octopuses are some of the most antisocial, unfriendly animals alive. Yet their bodies have evolved in such a way that they must mate in the most intimate way possible: the male has to insert his sperm directly into the female's body using one of his arms....

A picture for Captain Obvious:

http://i.snag.gy/BSwzG.jpg

sachem
02-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Now that is intimate.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Now that is intimate.

"Fuckhead" has a whole new meaning for octopi.