PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

Conley
06-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Already a shocker...Venus bites the dust. America haters rejoice! :angry: :laugh:

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I always root for them to lose and lately they have been. Having followed tennis along with playing the game myself since the 1970's, their family, especially their father is the biggest blowhard racist, maybe worse than Ubama, I have ever seen. Of course the dad is fairly quite now, since there isn't much to brag about.

I'll wait for the race card to be thrown down, but I have never felt this way about any other black tennis player. If the Williams had the grace and class of Arthur Ashe and many others, I wouldn't feel this way.

Conley
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
The dad is the worst, and it seems the apples didn't fall far from the tree. They're occasionally well behaved when they win....when they lose though...oh boy. Then again I used to love the old time battles between McEnroe and Connors. I don't like watching robots play either.

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
The dad is the worst, and it seems the apples didn't fall far from the tree. They're occasionally well behaved when they win....when they lose though...oh boy. Then again I used to love the old time battles between McEnroe and Connors. I don't like watching robots play either.

When they lose it's always because they didn't play well and never compliment the other players ability.
Loved Jimmy Connors, one of my all time faves...I also being a lefty. Only in tennis and golf though, not politically...;)

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Wonder who the first big upset will be???

Carygrant
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Already a shocker...Venus bites the dust. America haters rejoice! :angry: :laugh:

Venus comes across as very unlikeable which is why people like myself cannot relate to her , however strong she was a few years back . Race and Colour have nothing to do with it ,other than for those who are sick .
After all we love those great American black players , McEnroe and Connors .

:afro:

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Upsets in the making....Gulbis def. Berdych and Falla def. Isner.

(sp?)

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Venus comes across as very unlikeable which is why people like myself cannot relate to her , however strong she was a few years back . Race and Colour have nothing to do with it ,other than for those who are sick .
After all we love those great American black players , McEnroe and Connors .

Is there a point to this post?

Carygrant
06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Is there a point to this post?

Read the Topic title , or was that something you meant to do later ?
Summary of key words --- Wimbledon , Venus Williams , American . Dislike .

Goldie Locks
06-25-2012, 02:44 PM
The thread title is "Wimbledon".

Carygrant
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
The thread title is "Wimbledon".

Exactly . That's wonderful . Both of us can read .

Conley
06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Are you a Murray fan?

Carygrant
06-26-2012, 03:55 AM
I love seeing the best battle against each other . Have little interest in background , though if a British name crops up in Tennis I am pleasantly surprised .Amazed even .
Andy is very unlucky to be playing at a time when the three guys ahead of him all figure in the Top 10 ever , imo .Possibly , the top six ever .
Just after last year's American , Flushing Meadow event, he was ready to win his first grand slam . The gap between him and Djokovic was a handful of key points in the semi .
Then he had this back injury . Eight injections during the French Open .
If fit , he is a real contender , particularly on home territory . Outside of slam events his head to head record with the big three is good . Some argue this actually points to a big event character weakness . It's possible .

Watch Heather Watson -- see yesterdays first round result . Only a kid but a double slam winner from memory . Junior American and Wimbledon singles winner . But not this year .

Conley
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Rafa down 4-1 early. :shocked:

Conley
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I love seeing the best battle against each other . Have little interest in background , though if a British name crops up in Tennis I am pleasantly surprised .Amazed even .
Andy is very unlucky to be playing at a time when the three guys ahead of him all figure in the Top 10 ever , imo .Possibly , the top six ever .
Just after last year's American , Flushing Meadow event, he was ready to win his first grand slam . The gap between him and Djokovic was a handful of key points in the semi .
Then he had this back injury . Eight injections during the French Open .
If fit , he is a real contender , particularly on home territory . Outside of slam events his head to head record with the big three is good . Some argue this actually points to a big event character weakness . It's possible .

Watch Heather Watson -- see yesterdays first round result . Only a kid but a double slam winner from memory . Junior American and Wimbledon singles winner . But not this year .

Yes, it is a great time for men's tennis watching the Rafa-Fed battles, and now the Rafa-Djoker matches. Like many others I always wanted to see Henman pull it off but it wasn't to be. I don't think it's a matter of mental strength for either him or Murray. They just aren't the best and we've had two of the greatest ever on grass in Sampras and Fed these last couple of decades.

Looks like Watson is another from the Bollettierri camp out of Florida...I will keep an eye on her.

Carygrant
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Rafa down 4-1 early. :shocked:

Pulls himself together and cruises 7-6, 6-2 , 6-3.
Andy shuts Davydenko's big mouth -- he can't handle grass so he should have kept quiet .

Conley
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Shocker...rain at All England. :grin: Well, it was a decent day.

Conley
06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Andy shuts Davydenko's big mouth -- he can't handle grass so he should have kept quiet .

Yes that was a stomping - good for him.

Carygrant
06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Football , ( Spain-Portugal ) , Wombledon and Cricket tomorrow . English strawberries superb and a hot , sunny day forecast .
Who needs politics?"

Carygrant
06-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Heather Watson in last 32 .
Now she will probably play the third seed Radwanska . She will bow out but she has done well .
Could hit the Top 20 by this time next year if she keeps injury free .

Conley
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Rain continuing :angry: but the Wozniacki match is going to a 3rd. I like Woz, don't mind seeing her on TV at all. :wink:

MMC
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Rain continuing :angry: but the Wozniacki match is going to a 3rd. I like Woz, don't mind seeing her on TV at all. :wink:

What no pics of what you like seeing on TV? :needpictures:.....:stirthepot:.....:laughing7:

Carygrant
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM

It's the end for her . But the Austrian girl was very nicely built .
Eine schone dumfnoodle .

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM

So glad Murray beat Davydenko after his remark about Murray always being hurt....says the guy who was banned for awhile because of steroids.

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Shocker...rain at All England. :grin: Well, it was a decent day.

At least they have a roof where they can play one match at a time. The US Open is not going to have a roof at least at this point. Arthur Ashe stadium cannot sustain a roof because of the weight.

Conley
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
At least they have a roof where they can play one match at a time. The US Open is not going to have a roof at least at this point. Arthur Ashe stadium cannot sustain a roof because of the weight.

True, but they need that roof more than the Open needs it because of the rain.

Ashe is way too big IMO, but it doesn't affect me watching it on TV. Seems to me there are a lot of seats where you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Conley
06-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Ashe 23k, Centre 13k.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2002/08/ashe_heap.html

Woz for the haters...ahem. :wink:

http://hottennisplayers.org/wp-content/uploads/7cw3.jpg

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 07:19 PM
True, but they need that roof more than the Open needs it because of the rain.

Ashe is way too big IMO, but it doesn't affect me watching it on TV. Seems to me there are a lot of seats where you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Been there 3 times and after one time in Ash being in the nose bleed section, we watched outside on the big screen.

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Ashe 23k, Centre 13k.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2002/08/ashe_heap.html

Woz for the haters...ahem. :wink:

http://hottennisplayers.org/wp-content/uploads/7cw3.jpg

Boyfriend Rory Mcilroy

Conley
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Boyfriend Rory Mcilroy

So you're saying I have a chance? :grin: I like Rory, I wouldn't want to steal his lady. :laugh:

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
So you're saying I have a chance? :grin: I like Rory, I wouldn't want to steal his lady. :laugh:

You'll have a chance if you look better than your avatar...;)

Conley
06-27-2012, 07:31 PM
You'll have a chance if you look better than your avatar...;)

:laugh: Sadly, nope!

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
:laugh: Sadly, nope!

I don't believe that for one second.

Carygrant
06-28-2012, 02:37 AM

You seen the way he is knocking balls about recently? Not .
She will be gone like a flash .
She is not as nice in real life as that airbrushed shot . Same as me .

Cigar
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM

When I do watch Tennis; I watch Women’s Tennis

… and the Only reason why I watch Women’s Tennis; for their Nice Ass’s and Muscular Legs.

Don’t be a hater; I’m just being honest.

The last thing I’m going to apologize for, is being a Man, First, Second and Last.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/chasc5/NiceAss.jpg

Conley
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
You seen the way he is knocking balls about recently? Not .
She will be gone like a flash .
She is not as nice in real life as that airbrushed shot . Same as me .

Yup, I have seen... not sure what happened to Rory's game, he's fallen off a cliff.

As for Woz, Yeah, yeah I know....please don't pee on my dreams. :laugh:

MMC
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
When I do watch Tennis; I watch Women’s Tennis

… and the Only reason why I watch Women’s Tennis; for their Nice Ass’s and Muscular Legs.

Don’t be a hater; I’m just being honest.

The last thing I’m going to apologize for, is being a Man, First, Second and Last.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/chasc5/NiceAss.jpg

Well I don't mind watching a woman sweat.....and whats not to like about a woman :sweating:and grunting. :icon_porc: :laughing7:

Conley
06-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Didn't even give ma a thanks for my pic, eh? I see how it is . :angry: :laugh:

MMC
06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Didn't even give ma a thanks for my pic, eh? I see how it is . :angry: :laugh:

Well I asked a for a pic and you throw me a head-shot! :rollseyes: You know me my brutha! :wink: :evil:

Carygrant
06-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Nadal beaten on merit makes Andy's path to the final look much easier . Surprise result but the Czech was a revelation . Let's hope he does not reproduce that form when he plays Andy in the semi --- in theory .

Conley
06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow, that's quite a break for Andy isn't it? So if he moves through his draw he'd face the Djoker/Fed winner in the final? Hmm. Very exciting! But we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves...Rafa's fall is proof of that.

Carygrant
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Silly really , but with the Queen's jubilee celebrations plus Olympics , it would be nice for the treble . Is it in the stars?

Goldie Locks
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Nadal beaten on merit makes Andy's path to the final look much easier . Surprise result but the Czech was a revelation . Let's hope he does not reproduce that form when he plays Andy in the semi --- in theory .

Wow, unbelievable...a qualifier!!! Good for him, hope he can pass the next round. Usually when one of those guys beats a top seed they fold in the next round. Nadal was a baby, whining!!

Carygrant
06-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow, unbelievable...a qualifier!!! Good for him, hope he can pass the next round. Usually when one of those guys beats a top seed they fold in the next round. Nadal was a baby, whining!!

If they ever show the fifth set again , prepare to be stunned into complete silence .Rosol was serving Aces at over 150mph and returning forehand shots reported at 200 mph .Nobody in the world could have beaten him in that set .He had complete control of himself and never betrayed an emotion until he had won .
As you know , Nadal is an athlete and fighter . Most of the time he did not have time to chase , so fast were the shots and stunning in their accuracy .
Afterwards , even seasoned players and commentators were lost for words . Most said they could not believe what they had just seen .
Lukas had failed to even qualify for the previous five Wimbledons and last week could not qualify at Eastbourne -- a traditional pre Wimbledon small tournament which only a few of the top players enter .
But you are right -- such winners rarely if ever can hold that freak form level for long .Despite that probability , it was a privilege seeing History unfold .

Cigar
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Got to be a Conservative Republican :)

Conley
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Federer not having an easy time of it either!

Carygrant
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Have been listening while travelling . Gripping .
4-4 in the fourth as I write .
Would not like to call it after the Lukas Rosol show .

Conley
06-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Too bad Rosol had nothing left for the fifth, it was a great match up until then.

Serena almost lost today but pulled it out in the end.

Carygrant
06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Too bad Rosol had nothing left for the fifth, it was a great match up until then.

Without realising it , you have turned Seer !!
Perhaps a vision of the semi against Andy Pandy?
An easily made slip .

Conley
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Without realising it , you have turned Seer !!
Perhaps a vision of the semi against Andy Pandy?
An easily made slip .

:rofl: Whenever I don't know one of these upstarts I just call him Rosol. I meant of course the United Colors of Benetton.

MMC
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ICJaWzAgimBLpAUn_k6xkw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NDcxO2NyPTE7Y3c9NTEyO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xNzU7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201206300957358592660-p2.jpeg http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/15CfxpBFDloLi5KY1_SOZA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzQxO2NyPTE7Y3c9NTEyO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xMjc7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/AFP/photo_1340889499505-3-0.jpg

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- While watching Serena Williams (http://thepoliticalforums.com/ten/players/134) come from behind at Wimbledon, older sister Venus sat in the front row stifling a yawn.
Nothing to worry about.
Venus was correct - barely. Serena hit a Wimbledon record 23 aces, held every service game and narrowly escaped an upset bid by Zheng Jie, winning 6-7 (5), 6-2, 9-7 in the third round Saturday.....snip~

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/swilliams-hits-23-aces-edges-165743975--ten.html

:shocked: 23 Aces!

Carygrant
06-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Great performance
Thanks Dad , ( Richard , not you ) .
Will she improve fast enough ( getting match fit) to be ready to knock a reborn Sharapova out in the final ?
Your guess is as good as --------

Goldie Locks
06-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Loved seeing Andy win just before they closed it down for the night!!! Allowed them to play and it only took one more game!!! Would love to see Andy win.

Conley
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep, I'm cheering for him after Mardy Fish. I don't think Mardy has much of a shot though.

Goldie Locks
06-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Yep, I'm cheering for him after Mardy Fish. I don't think Mardy has much of a shot though.

Prolly not, but actually has done better than I thought after his heart scare and no playing time for the last couple months.

Brian Baker still alive.

Carygrant
07-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Martina Navratilova offered a very interesting possibility for the men's championship winner --- the Frenchman , Jo-Wilfred Tsonga .
She offered good reasons though i have previously viewed him only as one of the top men after the big four but never a Grand Slam victor . Hugely talented but erratic .
She said he has his weight under control , his form is electric and he was hitting the ball harder than anybody else in the French open two weeks ago .
She is a very shrewd judge , so worth bearing in mind .

Carygrant
07-02-2012, 07:10 AM
HOT NEWS FOR WIMBLEDON PIGEONS

RELATED CONTENT

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/YpFPmGlTlkqfiHmO4k3_.g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9Mzc1O2NyPTE7Y3c9NTAwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xNDM7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_uk/News/pressass/UKNews010720122314479-1.jpgView Photo (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/rufus-harris-hawk-keeps-pigeons-bay-during-wimbledon-photo-221434216.html)Rufus the Harris hawk, who keeps pigeons at bay during Wimbledon fortnight.

The hawk that patrols the skies of Wimbledon has been returned to its owners after it was snatched by thieves during the first week of the tennis tournament.
Harris hawk Rufus, who deters pigeons from the All England Club, was stolen along with his cage overnight between Thursday and Friday.
But he has been handed in to the RSPCA Animal Hospital in Putney, south west London, and was on Sunday night safely back in his owners' hands.

Conley
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
HOT NEWS FOR WIMBLEDON PIGEONS

RELATED CONTENT

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/YpFPmGlTlkqfiHmO4k3_.g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9Mzc1O2NyPTE7Y3c9NTAwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xNDM7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_uk/News/pressass/UKNews010720122314479-1.jpgView Photo (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/rufus-harris-hawk-keeps-pigeons-bay-during-wimbledon-photo-221434216.html)Rufus the Harris hawk, who keeps pigeons at bay during Wimbledon fortnight.

The hawk that patrols the skies of Wimbledon has been returned to its owners after it was snatched by thieves during the first week of the tennis tournament.
Harris hawk Rufus, who deters pigeons from the All England Club, was stolen along with his cage overnight between Thursday and Friday.
But he has been handed in to the RSPCA Animal Hospital in Putney, south west London, and was on Sunday night safely back in his owners' hands.

Great news! I was following this story but didn't know he'd been returned. I still hope they catch the culprit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/rufus-returns-wimbledon-hawk-returned-to-owners-7903277.html

Carygrant
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Great news! I was following this story but didn't know he'd been returned. I still hope they catch the culprit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/rufus-returns-wimbledon-hawk-returned-to-owners-7903277.html

Rumour has it that our old Winter Olympics ski jumping star , Eddie the Eagle had something to do with it .

Conley
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Andy Pandy rolls on! Too bad about the Fish man, he was giving Tsonga some trouble early on.

Carygrant
07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Andy looked OK against Ferrer though the Spaniard was in great form . It's almost a written rule that David wins on clay and Andy on the other surfaces .
Now for Tsonga -- Martina's outsider tip .
Serena showed signs of coming to form after having played indifferently previously , by her old standards .

Conley
07-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I saw the highlights. Great victory for Andypants...I was worried when he was down big in the second tiebreak, his body language is sometimes very poor. The man needs some confidence! He is arguably the fourth best in the world! Great to see him move on.

Carygrant
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
He is arguably the fourth best in the world! Great to see him move on.

What's the argument ? That he should be ranked higher ?
He and Djokovic are close mates and two years ago Andy was just the better .
He will not be favourite to beat him but I am assuming it is part of the Mayan prophecy that he triumphs .Queeny will be delighted .

Conley
07-04-2012, 06:13 PM
What's the argument ? That he should be ranked higher ?
He and Djokovic are close mates and two years ago Andy was just the better .
He will not be favourite to beat him but I am assuming it is part of the Mayan prophecy that he triumphs .Queeny will be delighted .

The argument depends on the surface. I don't know that he's the fourth overall...and I certainly don't think he's better than any of the big three. Fourth is the absolute highest he could be for now.

Many were better than Djokovic a few years ago, but that was then and this is now...he has elevated his game incredibly and should be an inspiration to Andy that it is possible. For a while there it looked like no one could even come close to the big two, Djoko has reminded us that all are mortal.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Happy Andy won...I always root for him. I think he can beat Tsonga and Joker will beat the Fed, but Murray can't beat the Joker. Joker for the title in 4.

Conley
07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
I can definitely see that as a likely possibility. Maybe Andy can surprise us.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I can definitely see that as a likely possibility. Maybe Andy can surprise us.

I like him, but he is lazy like most Brits....just not a hard worker...not like the Joker.

Conley
07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I like him, but he is lazy like most Brits....just not a hard worker...not like the Joker.

The way Joker elevated his game is really amazing...here we have two of the greatest ever and out of nowhere Joker matched and then passed them. If it were some other sport like sprinting or bike riding I'd suspect steroids but obviously that isn't at work here, it must be hard work and probably some good coaching mixed in there as well.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
The way Joker elevated his game is really amazing...here we have two of the greatest ever and out of nowhere Joker matched and then passed them. If it were some other sport like sprinting or bike riding I'd suspect steroids but obviously that isn't at work here, it must be hard work and probably some good coaching mixed in there as well.

And a hellova lot of talent.

Conley
07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
And a hellova lot of talent.

Has that changed from three years ago or has he always had the same level of talent? I think his rise is a very interesting topic...what clicked on for him and why. There are probably articles I can find about it.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Has that changed from three years ago or has he always had the same level of talent? I think his rise is a very interesting topic...what clicked on for him and why. There are probably articles I can find about it.

He wants it and he is hungry...unlike the Fed and Andy...the Fed is just not that hungry anymore and Andy...well he just never was that hungry...IMHO. Andy just doesn't have that killer instinct like the Fed had and Joker and Nadal have now.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Today, Andy should have been at that net so many times and actually Ferrer was to the net more than him...he's lucky he won....Same with the Fed...he makes me so mad sometimes when he refuses to come in.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Who is everyone picks for the women??? I'm going with Williams, but of course don't really want her to win, but she is playing awesome. I would love to see Azarenka win...but that will be a hard row to ho.

Conley
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Who is everyone picks for the women??? I'm going with Williams, but of course don't really want her to win, but she is playing awesome. I would love to see Azarenka win...but that will be a hard row to ho.

I feel like the women are a total crapshoot. I haven't been able to see much of them this year. Williams is always a decent bet. I'm sure CG has an opinion.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I feel like the women are a total crapshoot. I haven't been able to see much of them this year. Williams is always a decent bet. I'm sure CG has an opinion.

Why, you actually think he knows tennis???...LOL He's just a Brit...;)

Conley
07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Why, you actually think he knows tennis???...LOL He's just a Brit...;)

Haha, actually I am thinking the average Brit follows tennis and especially Wimbledon a lot more closely than us rebellious Yanks. Seems interest in the sport here faded when Sampras Agassi and co hung it up. I remember July 4th always being so much fun with the American men at Wimbledon. Anyhow, yes Cary will not be shy about giving you his opinion on the women's side of things. :wink:

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Haha, actually I am thinking the average Brit follows tennis and especially Wimbledon a lot more closely than us rebellious Yanks. Seems interest in the sport here faded when Sampras Agassi and co hung it up. I remember July 4th always being so much fun with the American men at Wimbledon. Anyhow, yes Cary will not be shy about giving you his opinion on the women's side of things. :wink:

I've been playing and watching tennis...all tennis since the early 70's...I'm quite sure my expertise is more than his....as MMC would say....just sayin'...;)

Conley
07-04-2012, 09:13 PM
:roflmao: Well just so you know, MMC stole that line from me...just sayin' :wink:

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
:roflmao: Well just so you know, MMC stole that line from me...just sayin' :wink:

Welll you all stole it from me..LOL

Carygrant
07-05-2012, 03:51 AM
You two have been busy bees , and don't think I have not noticed the attempts to needle -- fortunately I am a pretty placid and reasonable sort , loth to ever beat the verbal schittie out of anyone !!!!!!!!!!
Now Goldie Prawn , let's start with you , and talk about your wisdom which miraculously came by virtue of your age .My first visit to Wimbledon happened when I was in Junior School which means I was somewhere between the ages of 7 --11 and I guess it was nearer to 11 than 7 .I am going to give you three names whom I think I watched ,though two them I definitely watched . Rosewall , Segura and Gonzales ( the latter two , definitely) . I suspect that Gonzales , who was apparently past his peak , was the best that has lived and after him I think of Laver and then possibly Borg , Sampras and the current amazing freak crop .But for sheer artistry , Lew Hoad , whom all of those others would beat 19/20 .
Well , kiddywinks , what do you make of that? Does it make me a Mayan sun god?
It explains , but does not justify , my occasional abruptness with some of our young and inexperienced political contributors .
I don't know the Ladies Champ for this year , though if Serena finds a bit more mobility and match fitness , she could do it . At the moment she is mostly winning by virtue of her first serve plus brute strength . We await the next super star .
Finally , Goran Djokovic . Two years ago it was the top two , with Andy closing fast and the rest nowhere , albeit the Serbian , Djokovic , the best of the chasing pack . He and Murray have been pals since junior days and Andy consistently had a clear edge over him . Then suddenly-- as you rightly say Conley -- he improved almost "too much and too quickly" . And the thought of "cheat" inevitably crosses your mind . Mine , at least .
It is unfair , because I am not aware of the slightest hint that it might be true and he does come across as such a friendly uncomplicated guy .
We see it in cycling ( your guy Lance Armstrong included ) , several top fighters and sprinters ( most of the Jamaican sprint squad) , members of rowing squads -- but all unproven as yet , I emphasise . With the exception of a few top cyclists whom I deliberately did not specify .
Time invariably gets to the bottom of matters but it is always sad when personal heroes are found to be guilty .

:rollseyes::azn:

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I think they need to do DNA testing on Sarina instead of drug testing...;)

Carygrant
07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I think they need to do DNA testing on Sarina instead of drug testing...;)

Are you referring to Safina , the retired Russian ? Or , Romina Sarina the young Italian player who switched to the Swiss Federation last month ?

Goldie Locks
07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Are you referring to Safina , the retired Russian ? Or , Romina Sarina the young Italian player who switched to the Swiss Federation last month ?

Sorry, misspelled, but I'm sure you really knew who I was referring to...why the feigned ignorance??

Serena Williams

Goldie Locks
07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I have my dream match for the final. Murray vs The Fed!!! Andy was awesome!!! Now I am so torn for the final. Would love to see Andy win and end the drought for the Brits, but then I want Fed to win and tie for 7 with Sampras...Fed has already surpassed Pete for most majors and would love to see him get as many as possible before his career is over. Fed, the best who ever played the game!!!

Conley
07-06-2012, 11:30 PM
​andy pandy !!!

Carygrant
07-07-2012, 01:31 AM
I have my dream match for the final. Murray vs The Fed!!! Andy was awesome!!! Now I am so torn for the final. Would love to see Andy win and end the drought for the Brits, but then I want Fed to win and tie for 7 with Sampras...Fed has already surpassed Pete for most majors and would love to see him get as many as possible before his career is over. Fed, the best who ever played the game!!!

Comparing past and present champions is impossible but even though I think there were one or two stronger players ( earlier post) , for sure , Roger is up there at the top with three or four others , and probably very little between them .
Normally I try to be objective ( you have to be , if prepared to bet big on some matches) but a reasonable case can be made for Andy .Irrationally , he might win simply because it is written thus -- jubilee year and the timing and manner of Nadal's exit almost seems engineered by an outside force .Did you ever see the Lukas Rosol third round result? As amazing , but in a different way .
More coherently , his head to head ratio with Roger is good and he has had Lendl to plant confidence and steel into him and to stop him letting emotions take over during play .
But I still have it as a " No Bet" final .
Serena should be a near walk - over , as her opponent is not 100% well --- bad upper body and throat virus .

Goldie Locks
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Comparing past and present champions is impossible but even though I think there were one or two stronger players ( earlier post) , for sure , Roger is up there at the top with three or four others , and probably very little between them .
Normally I try to be objective ( you have to be , if prepared to bet big on some matches) but a reasonable case can be made for Andy .Irrationally , he might win simply because it is written thus -- jubilee year and the timing and manner of Nadal's exit almost seems engineered by an outside force .Did you ever see the Lukas Rosol third round result? As amazing , but in a different way .
More coherently , his head to head ratio with Roger is good and he has had Lendl to plant confidence and steel into him and to stop him letting emotions take over during play .
But I still have it as a " No Bet" final .
Serena should be a near walk - over , as her opponent is not 100% well --- bad upper body and throat virus .

I don't think it is impossible to compare past and present champions, Fed has more majors than any other man player ever, that makes him the best to ever play the game at least for now.

We'll prolly never hear from Rosol ever again.

Serena will have like a walkover for sure. Too bad for women's tennis, that a final at the All England Club will be a score like 6-1, 6-1 in under an hour.

Carygrant
07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
OMG . Serena breezes the first set and now Radwanska has taken the second .
Where did that come from ?
If Serena had been 1-5 , I might have lumped on . Thankfully she was 1-8.

Goldie Locks
07-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Wow...Aggie really brought it. I'm sure Serena will prevail, but at least Aggie made it a match.

Conley
07-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Well that was a lot more exciting than I expected. Too bad Radwanska couldn't quite pull it out, but she sure impressed after it looked like it would be an embarrassment.

I think Rosol over Rafa was a bigger upset than potentially Andy over Fed. Obviously the stakes are much larger tomorrow. For some reason I've never been a big fan of Fed even though I respect him greatly. He is just too methodical...like a Swiss watch. For a long time his dominance made tennis boring too, I guess that's part of it though you can't blame him for that. I'll be going for Andy tomorrow.

Conley
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Do you ever wager in match? I used to...online gambling is illegal now in the 'home of the free' so those days are behind me. We've become a nanny state.

Goldie Locks
07-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Well that was a lot more exciting than I expected. Too bad Radwanska couldn't quite pull it out, but she sure impressed after it looked like it would be an embarrassment.

I think Rosol over Rafa was a bigger upset than potentially Andy over Fed. Obviously the stakes are much larger tomorrow. For some reason I've never been a big fan of Fed even though I respect him greatly. He is just too methodical...like a Swiss watch. For a long time his dominance made tennis boring too, I guess that's part of it though you can't blame him for that. I'll be going for Andy tomorrow.

I never found the Fed boring even when he was winning everything, because I like to watch him play, construct points. watch how he hit his forehand, backhand, service motion...etc.

Carygrant
07-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Do you ever wager in match? I used to...online gambling is illegal now in the 'home of the free' so those days are behind me. We've become a nanny state.

I have quite a penchant for wagering .
I learned the trade in the late seventies and the first half of the eighties . Despite being a good judge , I lost overall for other reasons .
After a decade of thinking , I started again and now only bet tennis , boxing , athletics and football .My main concern is getting money placed on-line because I win and they hate it . The secret is to know the business in the greatest of detail and never listen to anybody else . Above all , never get emotionally involved with any individual or team . Always get value for money .Never chase losses .

Conley
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I never found the Fed boring even when he was winning everything, because I like to watch him play, construct points. watch how he hit his forehand, backhand, service motion...etc.

You are more of an expert...though I used to play regularly (just for fun) I don't know the game well enough to appreciate all that enough to make me want to watch lopsided matches. Truthfully I think some of his success was due to a lack of good competitors - just good timing on his part. Not to take anything away from him, I think we were seeing obviously one of the greatest of all time but also during a particularly low point in terms of the competing talent.

Conley
07-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I have quite a penchant for wagering .
I learned the trade in the late seventies and the first half of the eighties . Despite being a good judge , I lost overall for other reasons .
After a decade of thinking , I started again and now only bet tennis , boxing , athletics and football .My main concern is getting money placed on-line because I win and they hate it . The secret is to know the business in the greatest of detail and never listen to anybody else . Above all , never get emotionally involved with any individual or team . Always get value for money .Never chase losses .

I agree with what you say about emotion, and you can often use that to your advantage. Here the big teams like the Yankees and the Lakers get shaded because of the numbskulls that will always put money down on them. I imagine it's no different in the EPL.

Carygrant
07-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Here the big teams like the Yankees and the Lakers get shaded because of the numbskulls that will always put money down on them. I imagine it's no different in the EPL.

Not 100% sure I understood the term , shaded" . Is that what we call match fixing ? Or cramped odds due to the volume of placed money ?
If the former , I will stick my neck right out and say there is none of that in the EPL . That's not said from naivety . We are aware what is going on in most sports and particularly with football because so much of the revenue comes to us from all points from india and east through to China . I think we have kept the premier division clean though there have been a handful of reported troubles in the lower leagues .
I would never bet if I thought that there was funny business involved either with players or officials .
Our investigative officers and organisations are second to none , though with alleged bribes running into millions ( cricket particularly ) , there is no room for sentimentalism or complacency .

Conley
07-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Not 100% sure I understood the term , shaded" . Is that what we call match fixing ? Or cramped odds due to the volume of placed money ?
If the former , I will stick my neck right out and say there is none of that in the EPL . That's not said from naivety . We are aware what is going on in most sports and particularly with football because so much of the revenue comes to us from all points from india and east through to China . I think we have kept the premier division clean though there have been a handful of reported troubles in the lower leagues .
I would never bet if I thought that there was funny business involved either with players or officials .
Our investigative officers and organisations are second to none , though with alleged bribes running into millions ( cricket particularly ) , there is no room for sentimentalism or complacency .

By shaded I don't mean match fixing like they practice in Italy, I mean the linesmakers will add a few points to the open because they know blindly loyal fans will bet their team no matter the odds. So in that sense the emotional component of gambling actually serves the objective better well.

As for fixing, you may be right but the officials are the easiest to target. They make little money (at least here in the U.S.) and have a tremendous impact all while taking tons of abuse from fans, players, coaches/managers etc. There was a scandal here a few years ago with a referee calling the NBA (professional basketball) Finals who turned out was a compulsive gambler, in a lot of debt and was altering the outcomes of games. He's now serving time. I think it happens everywhere to some degree.

Now, how about that match ?!!

Carygrant
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Andy is finding it harder and harder and at this moment he is not looking the winner .
But -----------------

Goldie Locks
07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Fed is the best player indoors it seems. Look to the past where they have the year end tourney indoors and look what he did to Joker indoors...not looking good for Murray.

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Fed is the best player indoors it seems. Look to the past where they have the year end tourney indoors and look what he did to Joker indoors...not looking good for Murray.

Makes a good Conspiracy discussion .
Up to the rain starting , which forced a halt to play , most objective observers would have put Andy ahead , albeit not hugely ---- say 53--47 max .
The covers came on . As did the roof .
Andy's momentum evaporated .
Increasingly Roger gained momentum and put on the screws , playing sublime tennis at times .
What if , ( them , not me ) ? If the roof had been opened instead of remaining closed ?

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Makes a good Conspiracy discussion .
Up to the rain starting , which forced a halt to play , most objective observers would have put Andy ahead , albeit not hugely ---- say 53--47 max .
The covers came on . As did the roof .
Andy's momentum evaporated .
Increasingly Roger gained momentum and put on the screws , playing sublime tennis at times .
What if , ( them , not me ) ? If the roof had been opened instead of remaining closed ?

And if you remember in the women's final, it started to rain they took them off the court and waited until it stopped and the roof remained open, yet for both the semi and the final when Fed was playing and it started to rain, they closed the roof....makes ya wonder...

Beevee
07-09-2012, 10:27 AM
And if you remember in the women's final, it started to rain they took them off the court and waited until it stopped and the roof remained open, yet for both the semi and the final when Fed was playing and it started to rain, they closed the roof....makes ya wonder...

Makes you wonder what?

That the Brits, in their home tournament where the last U.K. winner at was in 1936 would favour a non Brit to win?

Or that the weather forecast on Sunday predicted heavy rain whereas on Saturday only showers.

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Makes you wonder what?

That the Brits, in their home tournament where the last U.K. winner at was in 1936 would favour a non Brit to win?

Or that the weather forecast on Sunday predicted heavy rain whereas on Saturday only showers.

People have wagers...it's all about the money, honey.

Beevee
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Now, if you are writing about corruption in the sports industry, just wait for the Olympics to begin.

Has the US sporting authority yet found a way to discover every illicit drug taken by their competitors?

Conley
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
US blood doping is a whole other ball of wax but one worthy of discussion.

It did seem the roof closure hurt Andy more that Fed, at least from what I saw Andy was slipping and falling a few times. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy just that perhaps the final score would have been closer had they not needed to close the roof?

Good article on Andy (before the final) - I agree let the man be who he is:

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to shit money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

And of course the video for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwd_I9arMU

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Now, if you are writing about corruption in the sports industry, just wait for the Olympics to begin.

Has the US sporting authority yet found a way to discover every illicit drug taken by their competitors?

At least we have competitors...;)

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
US blood doping is a whole other ball of wax but one worthy of discussion.

It did seem the roof closure hurt Andy more that Fed, at least from what I saw Andy was slipping and falling a few times. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy just that perhaps the final score would have been closer had they not needed to close the roof?

Good article on Andy (before the final) - I agree let the man be who he is:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

And of course the video for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvwd_I9arMU

They used to say the same thing about Pete Sampras.

Conley
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
They used to say the same thing about Pete Sampras.

So do you like Federer more than you liked Sampras? :shocked: :flag: :grin:

First time I noticed Sampras was against Agassi in the US Open final I think it was. I was a kid...I liked Agassi and my grandma HATED him for his clothes, hair, earring, etc. She loved Sampras being that he would wear white, act respectful, etc. :laugh: We had a lot of fun that day, one of my favorite memories of my grandma.

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Just about to make exactly the same comment .
Incredible . We have agreed on something !!

Conley
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM

I was going to call you all punters...I thought that was British slang for gamblers. Now I just read the word is used to describe 'one who visits brothels'...I guess there is some overlap there generally speaking. :laugh:

Beevee
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
At least we have competitors...;)

But only those as dopey as yours.

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Beeswax
It's our effing Games . Keep your hands off !!! You and those southern monkeys .
As we said earlier in the thread , you can only catch up with drug cheats .But you can never beat them .
Our grip and understanding is huge and reputation is second to none .
It would not surprise me if we turned up dozens of cheats .
I shall be mailing my old mate Seb tomorrow and telling him to treble check the American athletes .And the Jamaicans .

Incidentally , Michael Johnson produced a great one hour documentary for the BBC suggesting that Black sprinting superiority is all down to the consequences of slavery .
Very well made and thought through , with every attempt to be factual . I was persuaded .

Beevee
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I was going to call you all punters...I thought that was British slang for gamblers. Now I just read the word is used to describe 'one who visits brothels'...I guess there is some overlap there generally speaking. :laugh:

It's used in a variety of means. 'Having a punt' could be construed as a gamble but 'punters' is invariably a police term for those who pay for illicit sexual favours.

Conley
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
It's used in a variety of means. 'Having a punt' could be construed as a gamble but 'punters' is invariably a police term for those who pay for illicit sexual favours.

Thanks. I've gotten screwed by a bookie but I guess that's not the same thing. :wink:

Beevee
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Beeswax
It's our effing Games . Keep your hands off !!! You and those southern monkeys .
As we said earlier in the thread , you can only catch up with drug cheats .But you can never beat them .
Our grip and understanding is huge and reputation is second to none .
It would not surprise me if we turned up dozens of cheats .
I shall be mailing my old mate Seb tomorrow and telling him to treble check the American athletes .And the Jamaicans .

Incidentally , Michael Johnson produced a great one hour documentary for the BBC suggesting that Black sprinting superiority is all down to the consequences of slavery .
Very well made and thought through , with every attempt to be factual . I was persuaded .

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm 62 years British, (London and Essex) and only10 years Canadian. And Seb? He could be part of the problem. All those wins by a British athlete - him and Steve Ovett. Something wrong there. Where were the Americans during those years? Kiting high probably and out of it.

Why would you be convinced by Michael Jordan when it was the Brits (or the Egyptians) who probably invented slavery and Americans who merely practiced it?

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Even your Dictionaries are rigged it seems ?
Anything to detract from the fact that God loves the land of the Free and Mighty .Us not US , you buffoon .
Punter can mean , "client" , in the informal sense , but that means all people visiting a Solicitor are ............
Perhaps Americans saw a play on words for once . The one time they nearly got something right . But wrong again .

Beevee
07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks. I've gotten screwed by a bookie but I guess that's not the same thing. :wink:

Using the vernacular, I see. We'll make a Brit of you yet. A whole new lifestyle and the freedom to think for yourself.

Conley
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Even your Dictionaries are rigged it seems ?
Anything to detract from the fact that God loves the land of the Free and Mighty .Us not US , you buffoon .
Punter can mean , "client" , in the informal sense , but that means all people visiting a Solicitor are ............
Perhaps Americans saw a play on words for once . The one time they nearly got something right . But wrong again .

Now now don't get your knickers in a bunch my friend, I found this on the internet and as you furriners are fond of telling us yanks (even though our blessed military invented the internet :kiss:) the internet is international:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=punter

:afro: yourself :laugh:

Conley
07-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Using the vernacular, I see. We'll make a Brit of you yet. A whole new lifestyle and the freedom to think for yourself.

Twould be an honor...But then who will I cheer for in athletic competitions? :grin: :cya20:

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Michael Johnson: Survival of the Fastest, C4, review

Iain Hollingshead reviews the Channel 4 documentary, Michael Johnson: Survival of the Fastest, which explored the legacy of slavery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/template/ver1-0/i/ratings/star_4_styleSix.png
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02268/usain_2268867b.jpgSurvival of the Fastest: the 2008 Olympic 100m sprinters featured in the Channel 4 documentary. Photo: AP

By Iain Hollinshead

10:02PM BST 05 Jul 2012

At the 2008 Olympics, every man in the 100 m final was a descendant of the slave trade. In Channel 4’s fascinating Survival of the Fastest, Michael Johnson, who won gold at 200 m and 400 m in the 1996 Olympics, set out to discover whether the brutality of slavery determined the genetic make-up of elite black athletes. This being television, it also took him on a personal journey into his own past, unearthing the remarkable story of his great-great-great aunt, born into slavery in 1851.

Johnson, a charming and intelligent narrator, presented compelling evidence that only the strongest survived the horrors of the slave trade. During the Atlantic crossings, which had a mortality rate of between 50 and 96 per cent, those with higher testosterone, thicker skin and better muscles were more likely to endure six months of beatings, low oxygen levels and lying in bodily fluids.

Genetic changes could easily have taken place within a lifetime under such extreme conditions, pointed out one of the many scientists he interviewed. Only the toughest slaves made it as far across as Jamaica, the last stop on the route from Africa. The tiny country won five gold medals at sprint events in the 2008 Olympics, whereas people born today in West Africa rarely succeed as sprinters.

The degrading selection process did not, of course, stop once the slaves had reached the Americas. The tallest and the strongest fetched the highest prices at auction. The hardiest were most likely to survive gruelling marches and the back-breaking years in the cotton fields. And the owners would force their favourites to breed, like cattle, to produce a new generation of strong slaves.

In an excellent – and thoroughly shaming – documentary, Johnson maintained just the right neutral tone, even providing one moment of glorious light relief. “The speed gene isn’t working right now,” he quipped, as he struggled to open a pack of swabs to take a DNA sample from his cheek.

London will be the same .
Bolt , Blake , Gaye , Gatlin , Powell , plus three other black guys who have as much chance as I do .

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM

LOL...we do...well dang it all to hell!!! Congrats, you finally came along. It took awhile, but my magic worked...;)

Conley
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
This whole time I was thinking you were speaking of Ben Johnson, the Canadian sprinter. Wrong! Now I get it.

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
But only those as dopey as yours.

Are you trying to say only Americans use doping???

Conley
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM

It must have been a quasi-Canadian speaking about doping that got me thinking about Ben Johnson. :evil: :grin:

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
It must have been a quasi-Canadian speaking about doping that got me thinking about Ben Johnson. :evil: :grin:

;)

Beevee
07-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Of course not. What I am saying is Americans are dopes. (Conley - look it up in the Urban Dictionary)

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Of course not. What I am saying is Americans are dopes. (Conley - look it up in the Urban Dictionary)

Only those that elected Ubama....:afro::rollseyes:

Conley
07-09-2012, 05:08 PM

:rofl: Beeves dear chap you're not being very nice! What ever happened to that stereotype of the polite British gent? Was it all a lie?

Beevee
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
:rofl: Beeves dear chap you're not being very nice! What ever happened to that stereotype of the polite British gent? Was it all a lie?

That's exactly what it is. A lie. Dreamed up by Hollywood, no doubt.

Conley
07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
That's exactly what it is. A lie. Dreamed up by Hollywood, no doubt.

But Cary told me they are real! :sad:

Perhaps living in Canada and having to drink the swill they call beer there has made you a sourpuss? :grin:

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
But Cary told me they are real! :sad:

Perhaps living in Canada and having to drink the swill they call beer there has made you a sourpuss? :grin:

Or maybe just a sourpuss anyway...;)

Beevee
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Or maybe just a sourpuss anyway...;)

I'm as sweet as the driven snow.

It's everyone else that is wrong.

I'm a fast learner.

Conley
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Roger Federer Wimbledon triumph wins Oxfam £100,000

A bet placed on Wimbledon champion Roger Federer nearly a decade ago has netted more than £100,000 for Oxfam.

In 2003 Nick Newlife, from Oxfordshire, made a wager of £1,520, at odds of 66/1, that the Swiss tennis star would win seven Wimbledon titles by 2019.

Mr Newlife died in 2009 but had left the betting slip to Oxfam in his will.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18765015

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm as sweet as the driven snow.

It's everyone else that is wrong.

I'm a fast learner.

That's as pure as the driven snow...and you have yet a lot to learn.

Beevee
07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
That's as pure as the driven snow...and you have yet a lot to learn.

That's true. One is never too old.

But.........it won't be coming from you.

Carygrant
07-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Don't forget we can reprise these discussions at the forthcoming Olympics when basically the same players will be competing all over again including ugly beast Nadal .
Sports mad I may be , but I am not impressed with Tennis and Football being included .
Even though we will win both!!Not .

Carygrant
07-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Here's our female version of Andy Pandy -- hopefully a top player in about two years when she has bulked up a bit .
Takes up some good positions !!
Watson off to good start in StanfordBritain's Heather Watson kicked off her WTA Stanford campaign with a 7-6(5) 4-6 6-1 first-round win over Sloane Stephens of the US.Eurosport – 3 hours ago

[*=left]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TvjD9UFl699WGwrdzDkLfQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzYwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjQwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zNTU7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_GB/Sports/Eurosport/861425-14572666-640-360.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en_GB/Sports/Eurosport/861425-14572666-640-360.jpg)Heather Watson of Great Britain returns a shot to Sloane Stephens during the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford University Taube Family Tennis Stadium (AFP)

The Guernsey-born 20-year-old, ranked a career-high 79th in the world after an impressive run at Wimbledon, will now meet Yanina Wickmayer for a place in the quarter-finals of the Bank of the West Classic.