PDA

View Full Version : Believe it or not, chicken survived head cut off

Bob
03-01-2015, 08:47 PM
This goes back a few years but some of you probably never heard of this chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATz3AdbjyRI

Bob
03-01-2015, 08:52 PM
As you use youtube, you will notice other chickens that also lived with the head cut off.

Crepitus
03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Not a farm kid huh?

Redrose
03-01-2015, 09:16 PM
When I was a child in Brooklyn, there was a meat market, open view to the sidewalk, and you could see them killing the chickens, by chopping their heads off. I hated passing that place with my mom to go shopping, it freaked me out. Chickens with no heads running around. Stuff of nightmares.

Peter1469
03-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Next to our camp in Korea the locals would dump German shepherds into boiling water to make dinner. The sound was horrible.

Redrose
03-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Sick.

My nail teck is from Viet Nam. He's about 40 something. He tells terrible stories of rural life how bad it was and still is. Any animal they could catch was eaten, even bugs, rodents, snakes, dogs, etc. No means to check for diseases, like rabies. YUK.

Bob
03-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Next to our camp in Korea the locals would dump German shepherds into boiling water to make dinner. The sound was horrible.

Sick. You would think they would first kill and gut them. Cooking them alive is a good way to eat crap from the guts.

The Xl
03-01-2015, 10:46 PM

What the fuck.

Bob
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Not a farm kid huh?

Depends on the year. I have constructed chicken pens and raised chickens. I raised rabbits to sell in moms store meat counter. I lived on a cotton farm and my aunt and uncle had a pen with a lot of chickens.

I ate scrambled eggs with no seasoning or even mayo every damned day. I had to toss the sandwiches at school if the kids would not trade me for decent sandwiches.

Bob
03-01-2015, 10:57 PM
When I was a child in Brooklyn, there was a meat market, open view to the sidewalk, and you could see them killing the chickens, by chopping their heads off. I hated passing that place with my mom to go shopping, it freaked me out. Chickens with no heads running around. Stuff of nightmares.

I was then a Junior at high school. My parents bought a small store. About the size of your 7-11 store. Supermarkets were not in our area at the time. They sold to the customers cash and carry.

There were a good number of rabbit pens in the back yard. I got the idea of raising rabbits and killing them to sell in Moms meat counter. She gave me the green light. For those worried about safe meat, I made very sure to only sell top quality rabbits that were very cleanly killed and skinned.

First I was a novice. I do research. I found experts that had rabbit processing plants. I asked questions. I followed safe directions.

Not to be graphic, but you don't just chop off a rabbit's head. I never did. I would first break the neck. I hung the rabbit on a steel hook then cut off the head. I had to safely bleed it. I skinned it and gutted it and immediately dumped the carcass into a tub of cold water.

Nobody got sick.

I started in thinking of the cash. It ended when I got tired of the business and tired of killing rabbits that to me were just so cute. I recall raising the New Zealand rabbits since they grew fast and got pretty large.

Crepitus
03-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Depends on the year. I have constructed chicken pens and raised chickens. I raised rabbits to sell in moms store meat counter. I lived on a cotton farm and my aunt and uncle had a pen with a lot of chickens.

I ate scrambled eggs with no seasoning or even mayo every damned day. I had to toss the sandwiches at school if the kids would not trade me for decent sandwiches.
LMAO! To this very day my folks provide me with so many eggs that I take them to work and give them away!! And I eat way more of them than is good for me I'm sure, I love me some huevos rancheros or egg salad sandwiches!

Bob
03-01-2015, 11:04 PM
LMAO! To this very day my folks provide me with so many eggs that I take them to work and give them away!! And I eat way more of them than is good for me I'm sure, I love me some huevos rancheros or egg salad sandwiches!

That cotton farm experience was around 1949 and I will eat eggs now, but not many. My aunt was not that much of a cook, now that i look back on it. She made awesome tea though. If you feed a kid the same thing every day, in my case anyway, it can get old as hell.

Crepitus
03-01-2015, 11:11 PM
That cotton farm experience was around 1949 and I will eat eggs now, but not many. My aunt was not that much of a cook, now that i look back on it. She made awesome tea though. If you feed a kid the same thing every day, in my case anyway, it can get old as hell.
Well, that was a few years before I was born, I think you're probably my dad's age.

So how did you make it through all that without seeing a chicken running around without a head?

Bob
03-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Well, that was a few years before I was born, I think you're probably my dad's age.

So how did you make it through all that without seeing a chicken running around without a head?

I did not watch either my aunt or uncle kill chickens. I have killed a few myself. I used to grab the head and hold on tight, and spin them like a top. I never saw one I killed walk around.

Crepitus
03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
I did not watch either my aunt or uncle kill chickens. I have killed a few myself. I used to grab the head and hold on tight, and spin them like a top. I never saw one I killed walk around.
Wringing the neck is the way to go, less mess that way, but I've seen them get up and run off after that too. You just got lucky I guess.

CreepyOldDude
03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I was then a Junior at high school. My parents bought a small store. About the size of your 7-11 store. Supermarkets were not in our area at the time. They sold to the customers cash and carry.

There were a good number of rabbit pens in the back yard. I got the idea of raising rabbits and killing them to sell in Moms meat counter. She gave me the green light. For those worried about safe meat, I made very sure to only sell top quality rabbits that were very cleanly killed and skinned.

First I was a novice. I do research. I found experts that had rabbit processing plants. I asked questions. I followed safe directions.

Not to be graphic, but you don't just chop off a rabbit's head. I never did. I would first break the neck. I hung the rabbit on a steel hook then cut off the head. I had to safely bleed it. I skinned it and gutted it and immediately dumped the carcass into a tub of cold water.

Nobody got sick.

I started in thinking of the cash. It ended when I got tired of the business and tired of killing rabbits that to me were just so cute. I recall raising the New Zealand rabbits since they grew fast and got pretty large.

I grew up on a farm. In seventh grade, I started a trap line for fox, rabbits, and I had one trap for feral hogs. I'd walk it twice a day. Anything I caught, I'd kill, and skin for the furs. Except for the hogs. Those I'd kill, then dress. I might get three or four hogs a year, usually in winter. After I killed them, with a shotgun, I'd hang them by their hind legs, blood them, dress and butcher them, and then pack as much of the meat out as I could. When I'd get home with the meat, Grandpa would send out all the younguns to help me bring back the rest. Wild hog makes the best smoked hams.

The skins of the foxes and rabbits, I'd sell.