PDA

View Full Version : 'Merchants Of Doubt' Explores Work Of Climate Change Deniers

Captain Obvious
03-07-2015, 06:59 PM
A great listen for anyone who considers themselves objective on the subject.

RushBeck listeners, don't waste your time.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/06/391269315/merchants-of-doubt-explores-work-of-climate-change-deniers

KENNER: Well, really, people who had defended tobacco when they knew for 50 years their product caused cancer and was addictive, they were able to create doubt and say we need more studies, we need more time, when they knew what their product did. They knew before anyone else because big corporations have to have good science.

And so they knew their product was deadly, but they couldn't say it doesn't cause cancer 'cause that's an out-and-out lie. But they could say we need more study and, you know, it can be used now for any industry. And the big money maker at this point and the big payday is climate and energy, and that's why it's out there.

BLOCK: And you quote a line from a consultant's - a PR firm's report to the tobacco industry, (reading) doubt is our product - was their line.

KENNER: And then one man, who was so skillful in slowing down legislation on the slow-burning cigarette, saying it wasn't cigarettes that caused house fires, it was couches. And he went on to make it where we had to have laws to put these chemicals in couches and...

BLOCK: Flame retardants.

KENNER: ...flame retardants. And he went on to say, if you can do tobacco, you can do anything.

KENNER: Yeah, I think I was clear in representing myself. I had made "Food Inc." and people had seen that. And - but I was open to hearing how they did what they did and why they did what they did. But not everybody wanted to appear in the film. There was the man who had been responsible for putting chemicals - flame retardants - into the couches and baby clothing who hadn't spoken to reporters, and he returned my call to my surprise. And when I said that we're doing more than just a film about tobacco and flame retardants, it's also about climate, he said to me, you know, you could take James Hansen, the world's leading climate scientist, and I could take a garbage man, and I could get America to believe that garbage man knows more about science. And he's been very successful at what he does, and there's a group of these people who've been very successful. And hopefully we can get to the real debate, not this sort of fake debate.

PolWatch
03-07-2015, 07:27 PM
A good Madison Avenue advertising firm can convince the American public of anything....they can even make them accept two opposing views of the same subject at the same time.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 07:30 PM
A great listen for anyone who considers themselves objective on the subject.

RushBeck listeners, don't waste your time.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/06/391269315/merchants-of-doubt-explores-work-of-climate-change-deniers
National public radio. Really? Government propaganda radio?

LOL. I will listen for the humor in it.

Okay. I listened. It was worthless. :-)

Safety
03-07-2015, 07:46 PM
National public radio. Really? Government propaganda radio?

LOL. I will listen for the humor in it.

Spoken like a true Rushbot...you stocked up on food insurance and have you seen the price of gold and silver lately? :biglaugh:

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Spoken like a true Rushbot...you stocked up on food insurance and have you seen the price of gold and silver lately? :biglaugh:
There was no content. You do realize that don't you?

LOL. Oh, you don't.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2015, 08:09 PM

He demonstrated the premise of the OP ironically but I don't expect anyone with less than a couple ounces of insight to consider the subject matter.

Indoctrination is a funny thing.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2015, 08:10 PM
A good Madison Avenue advertising firm can convince the American public of anything....they can even make them accept two opposing views of the same subject at the same time.

"Doubt is our product", I found that admission kind of striking.

Peter1469
03-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I was waiting for them to talk about the actual science. Or at least how the computer models have turned out over the years.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2015, 08:34 PM
I was waiting for them to talk about the actual science. Or at least how the computer models have turned out over the years.

No, none of that. The piece was all on the salesmanship of the denier industry.

I heard this on the radio on the way home yesterday and I found it kind of riveting.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 09:20 PM
He demonstrated the premise of the OP ironically but I don't expect anyone with less than a couple ounces of insight to consider the subject matter.

Unless you are completely stupid you can see there is no "there" there.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 09:21 PM
No, none of that. The piece was all on the salesmanship of the denier industry.

I heard this on the radio on the way home yesterday and I found it kind of riveting.
It was blathering nonsense.

Nothing more. It is what one should expect from government radio.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 09:22 PM

On this we agree. But you are not aware of your indoctrination are you?

Except for you it is obvious.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
It was blathering nonsense.

Nothing more. It is what one should expect from government radio.

Brietbart is more reliable, no?

Look - this thread is for adults, I don't appreciate your hijacking it into your personal whack-a-mole agenda. You made your point, now begone and let others chime in.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Brietbart is more reliable, no?

Look - this thread is for adults, I don't appreciate your hijacking it into your personal whack-a-mole agenda. You made your point, now begone and let others chime in.
If you cannot stand the heat perhaps you should leave the kitchen.

This thread is for adults. If you cannot be one perhaps you should take your advice and leave.