PDA

View Full Version : The time when Americans drank all day long

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 07:24 PM
The still shot on the video is kind of nostalgic for me, Iron City was a Pittsburgh mainstay for generations. My dad drank it religiously.

It was one of the few beers that I had to force down, drank so much of it with him when I was 20-something that it sort of turned on me.

It has a distinct... acidic taste, it was cut with corn (not rice like Bud) and wasn't exactly smooth. Plus getting shitfaced on it one too many times kind of takes it's toll.

(visit the link for the video)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615

The Puritans get a bad rap in America - especially when it comes to alcohol. They are generally blamed for putting the dampeners on any form of fun, and many people assume that it was the nation's puritanical roots coming to the surface when Prohibition was introduced in 1917.

But while they weren't exactly party animals, a new exhibition at the US National Archives reveals that the Puritans actually approved of drink.

"One of the things we understand now is that the initial ship that came over from England to Massachusetts Bay actually carried more beer than water," says Bruce Bustard, senior curator of Spirited Republic: Alcohol in American History.

del
03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
the water on ships back in the day was foul, that's why they carried more beer.

i don't think everyone in colonial america got the whole *upstream/downstream* thing either :rofl:

Mister D
03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
the water on ships back in the day was foul, that's why they carried more beer.

i don't think everyone in colonial america got the whole *upstream/downstream* thing either :rofl:

Very true.

Common
03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
The still shot on the video is kind of nostalgic for me, Iron City was a Pittsburgh mainstay for generations. My dad drank it religiously.

It was one of the few beers that I had to force down, drank so much of it with him when I was 20-something that it sort of turned on me.

It has a distinct... acidic taste, it was cut with corn (not rice like Bud) and wasn't exactly smooth. Plus getting shitfaced on it one too many times kind of takes it's toll.

(visit the link for the video)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31741615

iron city beer was piss water

Common
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Btw ironcity beer is still being made, but it moved out of pittsburgh and is now made in latrobe Pa in the same brewery that makes rolling rock, it might be better now.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:02 PM
There was an old NY beer I used to like when I was in my 20s. It started with an "R". It's sometimes on "retro' beer lists with Pabst and Ballantine.

Common
03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
There was an old NY beer I used to like when I was in my 20s. It started with an "R". It's sometimes on "retro' beer lists with Pabst and Ballantine.

If its Rheingold that was a newark NJ beer

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Btw ironcity beer is still being made, but it moved out of pittsburgh and is now made in latrobe Pa in the same brewery that makes rolling rock, it might be better now.

"Made" rolling rock, Budweiser bought the brand, it's made in bumfuck Nicaragua or wherever now.

They still make Stoney's too if you remember that, the little dinky cheese ship in my town carries it every now and then believe it or not. They also make Duquesne Beer. Someone bought the label and brews it in a garage somewhere in Pittsburgh. That stuff tastes like shit too.

Common
03-09-2015, 08:05 PM

I think there was a NY beer named ramapo or something at one time, not sure

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
If its Rheingold that was a newark NJ beer

Yes! Oh, I thought that was from NY. Yeah, I liked that when I was younger.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
A local place has some very old Pabst Blue Ribbon signs. It used to be a hotel and it's right next to the train station. The bar itself must be close to a 100 years old.

Common
03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
"Made" rolling rock, Budweiser bought the brand, it's made in bumfuck Nicaragua or wherever now.

They still make Stoney's too if you remember that, the little dinky cheese ship in my town carries it every now and then believe it or not. They also make Duquesne Beer. Someone bought the label and brews it in a garage somewhere in Pittsburgh. That stuff tastes like shit too.

Iron city beer was bought by latrobe and is still made there, I also read they name is changed to american beer. I dont know.

http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/2009/06/iron-city-brewing-moving-to-latrobe.html

Common
03-09-2015, 08:09 PM
A local place has some very old Pabst Blue Ribbon signs. It used to be a hotel and it's right next to the train station. The bar itself must be close to a 100 years old.

My father worked for pabst for over 40 yrs. I have some of the very VERY old clocks and lighted signs they used to give taverns.

I saw one on ebay that I have that was bidded on and sold for over 4500.00. I wont sell any of them.

In another thread about affirmative action, I said I got screwed by the old quota system. That was in fact in Pabst Brewery in Newark NJ.
I could never get a book because I kept getting passed over, thats how I wound up taking the police test.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:10 PM
My father worked for pabst for over 40 yrs. I have some of the very VERY old clocks and lighted signs they used to give taverns.

I saw one on ebay that I have that was bidded on and sold for over 4500.00. I wont sell any of them.

Neither would I. I love antiques particularly military items.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Iron city beer was bought by latrobe and is still made there, I also read they name is changed to american beer. I dont know.

http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/2009/06/iron-city-brewing-moving-to-latrobe.html

"American" was a brand ICB came out with a decade or two ago when they were trying to stay alive. It was garbage.

Latrobe's brewed a bunch of dead beers since RR left about a decade ago, ICB, Stoneys, couple others. They also bottled tea and water. There was a big scandal there, the CFO and his wife skimmed a ton of bling from them, they're in jail now I think.

del
03-09-2015, 08:12 PM

rheingold?

Common
03-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Neither would I. I love antiques particularly military items.

There are just those things you should never sell unless you need to, to eat. Fortunately im not in that position. My kids will wind up selling them when im gone :)

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:19 PM
rheingold?

Yeah, that's it. I couldn't think of the name. Turns out it's from Newark though.

del
03-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that's it. I couldn't think of the name. Turns out it's from Newark though.

iirc, it tasted like it was from newark :)

Common
03-09-2015, 08:20 PM
rheingold?

yessir, Newark NJ was the beer capital at one time. Thats because newarks city water was actually spring water, they got their water from a HUGE watershed that had one of the biggest artesian wells in the middle of it.

Some of the breweries in newark, note most are gone.

Rheingold, Ballantine, Kruegers, Joseph Henlser Brewing Co. Eagle Brewing, Lyons Brewing, Union brewing company, Pabst, Budweiser,

Theres more Del but I cant remember. I was born in NYC my father lived there but worked all those years in Newark, he had more friends in newark than in the NY

Alot of people even jersey people dont know that newark is considered the city created by beer.
The city built around its breweries that employed many people and were good paying jobs.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/newarknj/newark-the-city-beer-built

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 08:20 PM
iirc, it tasted like it was from newark :)

Diesel fuel and swamp gas.

del
03-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Diesel fuel and swamp gas.

no, that's genny cream ale

Common
03-09-2015, 08:22 PM

next to penn station ?

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 08:23 PM
no, that's genny cream ale

That stuff wasn't bad actually.

Genny Beer was crap but the cream ale wasn't bad.

It's actually one of the maybe two distinct American beer styles, "steam beer" being the other.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 08:24 PM
next to penn station ?

Nah small town.

Common
03-09-2015, 08:25 PM

It's actually one of the maybe two distinct American beer styles, "steam beer" being the other.

Ballantine Ale was the number one for decades. Suddenly it died and so did the brewery.

del
03-09-2015, 08:26 PM

the only good thing about genny cream was that it was a buck a pitcher at the student union

oh, and it wasn't fife and drum dark

that was some really baaaaaaaaaad beer

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Ballantine Ale was the number one for decades. Suddenly it died and so did the brewery.

No, "cream ale" is an actual style. Genny still holds the patent on it so you can't brew a "cream ale" and call it that, they have other names for it.

It's basically a yellow lager brewed with ale yeast, that's basically it.

San Francisco steam beer's patent I believe is owned by Anchor. Same deal, the process for brewing it is distinct but it can't be called a "steam beer" except by Anchor.