PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:22 PM
my PC has locked up...I was looking at something on Yahoo and got a screen with this:

Message from webpage
Security Vulnerabilities Detected.

behind the message is Norton ad

It has a number to call but all lines are busy when I call

It has my pc locked up completely. I can't get it off my screen. Any suggestions?

Mister D
03-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Sounds like malware or adware of some kind. Can you open an application that will clean your PC assuming you have such an application? Anti-virus software whatever.

Bob
03-17-2015, 07:25 PM
REBOOT

Do not reply to ad

Shut it down and wait 5 minutes with power off to allow your system to reset.

Mister D
03-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah maybe it just froze. Reboot that sucker

Bob
03-17-2015, 07:27 PM
There is a free malware program

I use malware bytes & antimalware bytes

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
I ran Windows Defender & it found nothing....turning it off now....

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Pol, read this.

Why did I get a security notice and what should I do?

https://security.berkeley.edu/notices

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:32 PM
The only thing this message said was to call their technician. I ran Windows Defender and it reported no problems.

del
03-17-2015, 07:36 PM
sounds like a scam

Peter1469
03-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Don't call that number. It is a scam.

Mister D
03-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Pol, del is probably right. You should never call anyone or click on a link like that. Always be skeptical.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:39 PM
That's what I think....if the reboot doesn't work I'm gonna get really mad.

Bob
03-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Being directed to make a phone call tells me it is a scam.

If they get you to call, they think they can talk you into something.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:43 PM
I shut down for 10 minutes...same message on the screen

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Malware

Do a system restore (google it, it's really easy), pick a date from a week or two ago and restore your system. IT DOES NOT DELETE ANYTHING, FILES, PICTURES, PROGRAMS. It just restores your registry or whatsamacallit.

Then download and run Malwarebytes.

You'll be clean as virgin snow rabbit after that.

del
03-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Pol, del is probably right. You should never call anyone or click on a link like that. Always be skeptical.

it's the end times. lol

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:46 PM
I've tried task manager but I don't know what the running program name is...

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:47 PM
good idea Capt...thanks...

Peter1469
03-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Can you boot in safe mode?

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Let us know how you got this fixed when you do, o.k? Thnx.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm doing a restore to the automatic restore point 3/9....

Mister D
03-17-2015, 07:52 PM
it's the end times. lol

I kinda feel bad, actually. That's the first thing I should have told her. "but all lines are busy when I call" should raised a big fucking red flag. :rollseyes:

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Look on the applications tab in task manager, you shouldn't have that many programs running.

If you do... maybe you got bigger problems. Should only be like... one program running, your browser.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:53 PM
there was note that 3/12 was a critical Windows update but think it will just download that when I go on line again. (I hope)

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Well then you'd better stop typing while you do that and your computer will also need a reboot.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Boom!

You'll be good in no time. Reboot your computer if the system restore process doesn't automatically do it.

Hal Jordan
03-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Pol, read this.

Why did I get a security notice and what should I do?

https://security.berkeley.edu/notices

That only applies if it is from the antivirus she has installed.

Captain Obvious
(lol - "system restore", can't believe she fell for it :biglaugh: )

(just kidding)

PolWatch
I'm a computer idiot....I know nothing about systems and things like this. I appreciate the help everyone! Thank goodness I have a desk top that seems to keep working no matter what.

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 07:56 PM
there was note that 3/12 was a critical Windows update but think it will just download that when I go on line again. (I hope)
I don't think it will automatically download unless you have it set up to do that. Check to be sure and then get that update ASAP because the keyword there is "critical"!

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:58 PM
it must be set to automatic because I have not done anything to install updates...since it was there, it had to get on it by itself! :wink:

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 07:59 PM
the restore is done and the same damm screen has just come back up

Peter1469
03-17-2015, 07:59 PM
it must be set to automatic because I have not done anything to install updates...since it was there, it had to get on it by itself! :wink:

They have made this process a lot easier than back in the day.

Bob
03-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Not task manager, he said System restore

to be frank, it has been years since I tried it so am rusty. I think you can click help on your microsoft program and follow directions.

Captain Obvious

Blech, that always worked for me.

Download Malwarebytes

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

It's a 14 day free trial, download it, run it then take it off your computer so you can download it again next time you get dinged with malware.

TrueBlue
That only applies if it is from the antivirus she has installed.
Nah. It offers very good information on many case scenarios including
"Vulnerability Detected" as Pol's message read.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Here's how to run system restore if you botched that up:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:10 PM
I've run it twice and still getting the message....I'm on windows 8

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Then it seems like you've got something really nasty in there.

Consider this.

HouseCall
Free Online Virus Scan

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:18 PM
I entered the phone number for a search and found a message that said they install a virus and then try to get your credit card number. I don't know why the restore to an early date doesn't work.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:19 PM
I can't download the virus scan because it has control of my screen...I can't get it off

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm doing a complete restore to factory settings.

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:20 PM
I can't download the virus scan because it has control of my screen...I can't get it off
Are you able to get into SAFE MODE?

Dr. Who
03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Perhaps Defender didn't have the updated virus profiles so it can't remove it. You can either install another virus protection software to clear it out, or take your computer to someone who is paid to take care of these problems. There is plenty of free anti-virus software on the internet and it's possible that one of them might work for you. First though I would search for Defender updates if that computer is functioning at all.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 08:23 PM
I'm doing a complete restore to factory settings.

ouch - that will nuke everything, pics, programs, etc.

That sounds like a virus now. I'd take it to somebody, you can run those applications (system restore, etc.) in safe mode but I don't remember how that's done last time I did it.

I know you reboot your computer, hold F10 or F12 down (don't remember which one) and it will ask you if you want to boot normally or in safe. Safe will stop that shit from running I think so you can do your system restore or whatever in peace.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 08:23 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-vista

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:24 PM
I ran the defender and it reported no problem. I ran 2 restores to prior date and I was still locked up. I'm doing a reset to factory settings. Next step will be a professional. Of course, it would make a dandy boat anchor....

Whatever this is...I got it on the Yahoo news site...and I never click on the ads so I don't know how this happened.

Peter1469
03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Turn it off and chill. Worry about it tomorrow. Call tech support.

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:29 PM
The reset will take a while....so I'm just gonna forget about it for a while.

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:30 PM
I ran the defender and it reported no problem. I ran 2 restores to prior date and I was still locked up. I'm doing a reset to factory settings. Next step will be a professional. Of course, it would make a dandy boat anchor....

Whatever this is...I got it on the Yahoo news site...and I never click on the ads so I don't know how this happened.
When you ran Windows Defender, did you first do an update on the anti-virus definitions? That is a MUST!

Also, check this out.

How do I remove a computer virus?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-remove-computer-virus#how-remove-computer-virus=windows-7

How to Scan and Repair an Infected Computer From Outside Windows

http://www.howtogeek.com/187037/how-to-scan-and-repair-a-badly-infected-computer-from-outside-windows/?PageSpeed=noscript

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
all the Windows updates were current..

Howey
03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
my PC has locked up...I was looking at something on Yahoo and got a screen with this:

Message from webpage

It has my pc locked up completely. I can't get it off my screen. Any suggestions?

It's a virus. Turn off your computer go into safe mode and run a virus scan. You may need to restore your computer to an earlier date.

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:33 PM
all the Windows updates were current..
Great! It's amazing, however, that you can still communicate with us despite your computer problem!

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm on another computer

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm on another computer

Oh sure, foul that one up too.

Menace!

:biglaugh:

PolWatch
03-17-2015, 08:36 PM
doya need a new boat anchor?

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm on another computer
....and then there was a THIRD one. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/yahoo/4.gif

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Your other one is fixable, I'm pretty sure of that. It happens all the time.

That safe mode should work, take some time tomorrow morning over a coffee and read that safe mode article when you're more at ease. You'll be fine.

Bob
03-17-2015, 08:38 PM
No promises but this might help you solve your problem

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v98431836_EndUserProfile_en_us

TrueBlue
03-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Is the infected one the Windows 8 you were talking about? If so, it should still be under warranty. Perhaps the store you bought it at can make you a deal since it may still be new?

Common
03-17-2015, 09:07 PM
I ran Windows Defender & it found nothing....turning it off now....

Download SuperAntispyware free version pol
Do a google and get from source or you can get it MajorGeeks.com you should also install comodo internet security free. Its the best out there.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2015, 09:11 PM
PolWatch - here's a useful flow chart that might help you maneuver through your fix:

http://theawesomer.com/photos/2009/09/090109_flowchart_1.jpg

pjohns
03-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Blech, that always worked for me.

Download Malwarebytes

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

It's a 14 day free trial, download it, run it then take it off your computer so you can download it again next time you get dinged with malware.

Actually, my computer guru downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for me some time ago; and it is a free program that does not expire.

There is, however, a sister program (the "premium" one), that one pays to acquire.

Cthulhu
03-18-2015, 01:43 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/072/034/1275681680230.jpg

...then install a Linux distro of your choosing.

Sent from my evil kitten eating cell phone.

Cthulhu
03-18-2015, 01:48 AM
Polwatch, if you have access to another machine and a CD burner, make yourself a live Puppy Linux disc. If you haven't changed your boot order you'll be able to recover all your files without much trouble.

Then nuke it from orbit and install Ubuntu - fairly easy Linux distro for beginners.

Or you can return like a dog to its vomit by using Windows again...

Howey
03-18-2015, 03:19 AM
Then you need to restore it to factory condition.

Howey
03-18-2015, 03:30 AM
I guess I should read the entire thread before posting. PolWatch this is the same problem I had a while back and the restore to factory condition worked. I don't know why it didn't in your case. Sorry.

Captain Obvious
03-18-2015, 06:41 AM
lol! After 7 pages of "advice" and no fix, Pol's probably like:

http://i.imgur.com/oGGSqj5.gif

silvereyes
03-18-2015, 12:16 PM
maybe it got some dust down in it. go over to the window and open it. pick up your computer and go to window. now toss that sucker out. lol.

just kidding. i know less than you do about computers. i somehow just set my keyboard to t9. my solution: delete my purty new keyboard. lol.

PolWatch
03-18-2015, 01:22 PM
hooray! I have a functioning laptop instead of an expensive new boat anchor! I had to restore everything back to factory default. I don't know why the restore to a prior date didn't work .... but I don't know why this piece of (^^*&#)&** does anything.

have I mentioned that I really don't like Windows 8?

Cigar
03-18-2015, 01:24 PM
hooray! I have a functioning laptop instead of an expensive new boat anchor! I had to restore everything back to factory default. I don't know why the restore to a prior date didn't work .... but I don't know why this piece of (^^*&#)&** does anything.

Why didn't you get an iMac :laugh:

PolWatch
03-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Why didn't you get an iMac :laugh:

'cause I'm poor....and my other computer is on Windows. I had some vague idea of being able to swap files between the two computers. Dreams well above my skill set.....

silvereyes
03-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Tossed it out the window, didnt you? Its like kicking the washing machine. lol

PolWatch
03-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Tossed it out the window, didnt you? Its like kicking the washing machine. lol

I thought about doing that...but it was a Christmas gift....

silvereyes
03-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Well, hell. Thats the problem. I blame Santa.

Chris
03-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Yay!

http://i.snag.gy/VNObO.jpg

You made it through alive!!

PolWatch
03-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpy or both? Which is the easiest for a computer idiot to use and do I need both?

Captain Obvious
03-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpy or both? Which is the easiest for a computer idiot to use and do I need both?

Never heard or used the SAS thing but I'm guessing more people have used Malwarebytes.

I have, a couple times. I found it pretty easy to use and I get pissy if it's not easy enough for a 5yr old to use.

Howey
03-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Who would thunk the homo is the smartest one on here.

You're welcome PolWatch. :)

Captain Obvious
03-18-2015, 02:49 PM

You're welcome @PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099). :)

Sorry Howey to call you out, not doing this because I'm throwing a dart at you but for discussion purposes and I think you have fairly thick skin.

So does this mean that we can all refer to you as "The homo" now?

Serious question. If I have to walk on eggshell and refrain from calling you or anyone else "the homo" or "the niggrah" (new word too, BTW), then why don't you have to walk on those same eggshells also?

Chris
03-18-2015, 03:20 PM

You're welcome PolWatch. :)

Homo sapiens aren't so smart. Wise, maybe, smart, no.

silvereyes
03-18-2015, 03:40 PM

You're welcome @PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099). :)
Now, if only we can convince the *phobes that your iq is contagious and not yer gheyness. :laughing7:

Redrose
03-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Message from webpage

After that huge Apple update a few months ago my ipad locks up two or three times a week. I have to reboot it, then it's OK for a while.

Howey
03-18-2015, 04:05 PM

Sorry Howey to call you out, not doing this because I'm throwing a dart at you but for discussion purposes and I think you have fairly thick skin.

So does this mean that we can all refer to you as "The homo" now?

Serious question. If I have to walk on eggshell and refrain from calling you or anyone else "the homo" or "the niggrah" (new word too, BTW), then why don't you have to walk on those same eggshells also?

Absolutely NOT! :)

Sure, call me what you want. Just don't be surprised when I call you Captain Oblivious. :)

Seriously I don't think "homo" is a dirty word.

Howey
03-18-2015, 04:10 PM

After that huge Apple update a few months ago my ipad locks up two or three times a week. I have to reboot it, then it's OK for a while.

After the hours and hours of my computer downloading 8.2, ever couple of days there's more hours taken up with more updates. It's annoying.

I did notice that problem I had with my browser locking up on this site has disappeared, knock on wood.

Captain Obvious
03-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Sure, call me what you want. Just don't be surprised when I call you Captain Oblivious. :)

Seriously I don't think "homo" is a dirty word.

It's a slur though, I think - maybe I'm wrong.

Howey
03-18-2015, 06:47 PM
It's a slur though, I think - maybe I'm wrong.

It's short for homosexual, why would that be a slur?

Captain Obvious
03-18-2015, 06:54 PM
It's short for homosexual, why would that be a slur?

The context it's used in I think.

We as a society get too hung up on this stuff, we focus on words and not context.

Black people were "negros", then "colored", now (I think) "black" is the PC term. But when someone starts using the PC accepted term in a derogatory fashion then a new term emerges.

So I never really know.

silvereyes
03-18-2015, 09:15 PM
My philosophy: if you have to question yourself before you say it....simply dont say it.

Hal Jordan
03-18-2015, 10:32 PM
My philosophy: if you have to question yourself before you say it....simply dont say it.

But I have to question myself before I say anything...

pjohns
03-19-2015, 12:30 AM
Black people were "negros", then "colored", now (I think) "black" is the PC term.

To a certain extent, I can understand the change.

But why is it that the term, "colored people," is considered retrograde (and perhaps even a bit rude), whereas the term, "people of color," is quite fashionable nowadays?

Is this the proverbial distinction without a difference?

Dr. Who
03-19-2015, 07:03 PM
To a certain extent, I can understand the change.

But why is it that the term, "colored people," is considered retrograde (and perhaps even a bit rude), whereas the term, "people of color," is quite fashionable nowadays?

Is this the proverbial distinction without a difference?

Colored people in America meant black people (in places like South Africa it also meant anyone else who wasn't white), while people of color can mean anyone who is not considered white. It's more inclusive.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Colored people in America meant black people (in places like South Africa it also meant anyone else who wasn't white), while people of color can mean anyone who is not considered white. It's more inclusive.

So I'm a "people void of contrast" or something like that?

Dr. Who
03-19-2015, 07:47 PM
So I'm a "people void of contrast" or something like that?
People without color - melanin challenged?

Captain Obvious
03-19-2015, 07:49 PM
People without color - melanin challenged?

I can't dance either.

pjohns
03-19-2015, 08:15 PM

You are basically correct here: "People of color" may refer to Latinos (i.e. brown-skinned people); Asians (i.e. yellow-skinned people; and Native Americans (i.e. red-skinned people), as well as African-Americans.

I just think it is rather odd that "colored people" is now considered an insult, whereas the similar term, "people of color," is not.

Dr. Who
03-19-2015, 08:39 PM
You are basically correct here: "People of color" may refer to Latinos (i.e. brown-skinned people); Asians (i.e. yellow-skinned people; and Native Americans (i.e. red-skinned people), as well as African-Americans.

I just think it is rather odd that "colored people" is now considered an insult, whereas the similar term, "people of color," is not.
I think it's the baggage associated with the term "colored people" that makes it an insult. In the past there were signs that stated that "colored" people couldn't use drinking fountains or stay in certain hotels, or patronize certain restaurants, and it only ever meant black people. The term is forever tainted by that time.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
I think it's the baggage associated with the term "colored people" that makes it an insult. In the past there were signs that stated that "colored" people couldn't use drinking fountains or stay in certain hotels, or patronize certain restaurants, and it only ever meant black people. The term is forever tainted by that time.

lol! I said exactly that to Howey earlier.

PC terms change with their usage (or perceived usage) in context.

Dr. Who
03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
lol! I said exactly that to @Howey (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=387) earlier.

PC terms change with their usage (or perceived usage) in context.
Even the nicest terms can be corrupted by prejudice and mean spirited attitudes.

PolWatch
03-19-2015, 09:42 PM
When did the term politically correct replace what used to be called good manners? I know I'm 3 years older than dirt but I don't remember it ever being polite to call people names. Now, its called PC and people complain about it. Its still bad manners no matter what you call it.

TrueBlue
03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

Some uneducated people are using that term incorrectly when referring to Latinos as they are not "people of color." They are members of the White Race with the exception being if they are the product of a mixed marriage with a member of a dark-skinned race. One thing many need to truly understand here is that There Is No Hispanic or Latino 'Race' but trying to get that fact across to those fools who continue to refer to them in terms of race rather than ethnicity is something else. Hispanic and Latino is an ETHNICITY, not a race.

Therefore, to refer to them as people of color is quite incorrect since many are blond-haired, blue-eyed or green-eyed, fair-skinned, and many have freckles. They are therefore, not 'people of color.' But why do some continue to use that derogatory term to describe them one just has to wonder? Of course if they are making reference to those who have the tanner skins due to their Native American, Aztec, or Mayan influence then that would still be incorrect and they need to be called on the carpet on that. The exception are those in countries like Trinidad (many of whom speak African French Creole but mostly identify as Black though they may also speak Spanish) or parts of Cuba where some are indeed darker but that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

In Mexico, for instance, there are far more fair-skinned people than those of the tan skin variety so if they are considered 'people of color' their color would be White. That distinction needs to be made yet again for the sake of those who are prejudiced against this group of folks. Their categorization is vastly wrong and Hispanics and Latinos should not stand for it and should rebel against that classification that does not at all fit the majority of them.

In effect, no one should stand for the derogatory term "People of Color." If they are black then just say "black" or "African-American". If they are Asian, then say "Asian". If they are Italian and many are quite dark-skinned from that group then just say "Italian". If they are Native Americans, just say "Native American". If they are Eskimo then just say "Eskimo", etc. Leave the "color" part out of it entirely when making reference to such folks. You only show your ignorance, prejudice, and stupidity when you refer to them as that.

Howey
03-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Why can't people be just "People"?

William
03-19-2015, 10:54 PM

I totally agree - and I don't know why Americans have so much trouble with what colour, or how tanned, people are. Nowhere in my life - not here or in the UK, have I been even aware that someone is different because their skin has more melanin than mine or their hair is black, or because they speak a different language at home, and maybe eat different food.

The only different category on Australian government forms is Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders, and that's because you get special allowances if you can claim native Australian ancestry (no matter how far back).

Is it like cos of slavery that Americans are so aware of people's colour?

William
03-19-2015, 11:09 PM

Message from webpage

LOL, my mate and me were looking at a porn site on his laptop when that happened. Except it was a message saying the Federal Police had taken control of his computer, and he had to pay a fine of $300 by PayPal to this site to have it unlocked. The only way we were able to get it working again was to format the hard drive, and re-install Windows.

When we Googled it, we found it was a common scam, and lots of people paid so they weren't embarrassed. Every kid looks at porn so we weren't at all embarrassed - just wild.

Not saying you were looking at porn or anything :grin: but there must be lots of similar scams on different websites.

I always find the easiest way to get over any software problems is the good old 'make a new partition, format the hard drive, and a clean install of the software'. Gets rid of everything - including your browsing history (handy if your mouldies can access your computer). :laugh:

pjohns
03-20-2015, 12:32 AM
I totally agree - and I don't know why Americans have so much trouble with what colour, or how tanned, people are. Nowhere in my life - not here or in the UK, have I been even aware that someone is different because their skin has more melanin than mine or their hair is black, or because they speak a different language at home, and maybe eat different food.

I totally agree!

Skin color is simply not a defining characteristic; which is to say, it tells us nothing of any real importance (e.g. a person's character, personality, or core values).

It is therefore no more important, in my opinion, than hair color or eye color is, in attempting to define a person.

pjohns
03-20-2015, 12:34 AM
One thing many need to truly understand here is that There Is No Hispanic or Latino 'Race' but trying to get that fact across to those fools who continue to refer to them in terms of race rather than ethnicity is something else. Hispanic and Latino is an ETHNICITY, not a race.

You are entirely correct here: There is no such thing as the Latino (or Hispanic) "race"; it is, instead, an ethnicity.

Hal Jordan
03-20-2015, 12:57 AM
LOL, my mate and me were looking at a porn site on his laptop when that happened. Except it was a message saying the Federal Police had taken control of his computer, and he had to pay a fine of $300 by PayPal to this site to have it unlocked. The only way we were able to get it working again was to format the hard drive, and re-install Windows.

When we Googled it, we found it was a common scam, and lots of people paid so they weren't embarrassed. Every kid looks at porn so we weren't at all embarrassed - just wild.

Not saying you were looking at porn or anything :grin: but there must be lots of similar scams on different websites.

I always find the easiest way to get over any software problems is the good old 'make a new partition, format the hard drive, and a clean install of the software'. Gets rid of everything - including your browsing history (handy if your mouldies can access your computer). :laugh:

Pol! You were looking at porn? :shocked:

Cthulhu
03-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Some uneducated people are using that term incorrectly when referring to Latinos as they are not "people of color." They are members of the White Race with the exception being if they are the product of a mixed marriage with a member of a dark-skinned race. One thing many need to truly understand here is that There Is No Hispanic or Latino 'Race' but trying to get that fact across to those fools who continue to refer to them in terms of race rather than ethnicity is something else. Hispanic and Latino is an ETHNICITY, not a race.

Therefore, to refer to them as people of color is quite incorrect since many are blond-haired, blue-eyed or green-eyed, fair-skinned, and many have freckles. They are therefore, not 'people of color.' But why do some continue to use that derogatory term to describe them one just has to wonder? Of course if they are making reference to those who have the tanner skins due to their Native American, Aztec, or Mayan influence then that would still be incorrect and they need to be called on the carpet on that. The exception are those in countries like Trinidad (many of whom speak African French Creole but mostly identify as Black though they may also speak Spanish) or parts of Cuba where some are indeed darker but that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

In Mexico, for instance, there are far more fair-skinned people than those of the tan skin variety so if they are considered 'people of color' their color would be White. That distinction needs to be made yet again for the sake of those who are prejudiced against this group of folks. Their categorization is vastly wrong and Hispanics and Latinos should not stand for it and should rebel against that classification that does not at all fit the majority of them.

In effect, no one should stand for the derogatory term "People of Color." If they are black then just say "black" or "African-American". If they are Asian, then say "Asian". If they are Italian and many are quite dark-skinned from that group then just say "Italian". If they are Native Americans, just say "Native American". If they are Eskimo then just say "Eskimo", etc. Leave the "color" part out of it entirely when making reference to such folks. You only show your ignorance, prejudice, and stupidity when you refer to them as that.
Cool story bro.

You better let the bubbas at La Raza know this startling revelation.

PolWatch
03-20-2015, 01:55 AM
Pol! You were looking at porn? :shocked:

I was on Yahoo.news....it was pretty disgusting

Captain Obvious
03-20-2015, 06:44 AM

You tell me, I'd be cool with that.

Peruse any of our lovely race or sexual orientation baiting threads lately?

Captain Obvious
03-20-2015, 06:44 AM

Yahoo News sucks for porn, just a tip.

Captain Obvious
03-20-2015, 06:49 AM
When did the term politically correct replace what used to be called good manners? I know I'm 3 years older than dirt but I don't remember it ever being polite to call people names. Now, its called PC and people complain about it. Its still bad manners no matter what you call it.

That's a great question.

Here's what I see going on, it's called "wag the dog". You see a similar phenomenon with the anti-gun nuts, a marginal portion of our society exercises social deviance, crime or whatever so the "institution" that governs PC per se (guns, words) decides that NOBODY can now participate in words or gun ownership.

So instead of targeting the offenders (ie: the bigots, criminals) they target everyone, and better yet, they focus on the innocent. The law abiding citizen who wants to own guns, the average schmuck like me to whom words are just words and understands that it's the intent behind those words that give anything meaning.

So every time I (or anyone else) says "nigger" or "****" or whatever, then I'm immediately labeled a racist or a misogynist.

Life is fucking stupid.

Howey
03-20-2015, 09:00 AM
What is it with these stupid right wing sites bob, mac, texan et al use as links to their, lol "facts"?

There's marginal porn ads and all kinds of disgusting stuff posted all over them!

Howey
03-20-2015, 09:04 AM
You tell me, I'd be cool with that.

Peruse any of our lovely race or sexual orientation baiting threads lately?

That's the whole thing behind black rights, gay rights, etc. We don't want to be looked at as black or gay. We want to be looked at as people just like you.

Until the racism and homophobia go away you can plan on more vocalism.

Chris
03-20-2015, 09:23 AM
That's the whole thing behind black rights, gay rights, etc. We don't want to be looked at as black or gay. We want to be looked at as people just like you.

That's the problem with egalitarianism, you really do want to be like everyone else, for everyone to be the same, given the same outcomes, which requires special treatment, rather than rule of law where everyone is treated the same before the law and outcomes will naturally differ.

Howey
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
where everyone is treated the same before the law.

You got this part right.

PolWatch
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
That's the problem with egalitarianism, you really do want to be like everyone else, for everyone to be the same, given the same outcomes, which requires special treatment, rather than rule of law where everyone is treated the same before the law and outcomes will naturally differ.

How do we achieve equal before the law if some areas are passing laws to specifically prevent this? To correct that requires special treatment...doesn't it?

Chris
03-20-2015, 09:37 AM
How do we achieve equal before the law if some areas are passing laws to specifically prevent this? To correct that requires special treatment...doesn't it?

It really shouldn't matter what the laws are so long as everyone must follow them. Including politicians. Laws should not apply to individuals or groups. How you achieve that should be up to the people from municipality to nation.

PolWatch
03-20-2015, 09:43 AM
It really shouldn't matter what the laws are so long as everyone must follow them. Including politicians. Laws should not apply to individuals or groups. How you achieve that should be up to the people from municipality to nation.

I agree with that in theory but implementation is where we seem to disagree. When citizens are being specifically excluded by state law from exercising their Constitutional rights they have to take action...imo. The group denied their rights are not the ones opting for special treatment....only suing to prevent denial of rights. Should the black citizens in Alabama allowed the segregation laws to stand unchallenged? They became a group asking for special status when they objected to the illegal state laws.

Captain Obvious
03-20-2015, 09:46 AM

That's my point, people are tired of hearing it - regular people, the people you're trying to get through to.

At this point I believe that special interest groups (racial, sexual orientation) are now creating bigotry and dislike of them because people are saying "enough - now start being a regular person like me and stop being 'gay' or 'black', etc."

Chris
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
I agree with that in theory but implementation is where we seem to disagree. When citizens are being specifically excluded by state law from exercising their Constitutional rights they have to take action...imo. The group denied their rights are not the ones opting for special treatment....only suing to prevent denial of rights. Should the black citizens in Alabama allowed the segregation laws to stand unchallenged? They became a group asking for special status when they objected to the illegal state laws.

Well, if we're to have a federal government, then part of it's job should be to ensure rule of law throughout the country. In a more anarchistic society, people would control that by choosing where to live, and those places that didn't uphold justice would become ghost towns or change to stay alive.

The danger comes in its trying to make amends for past wrongs and equalize outcomes, which runs counter to rule of law.

PolWatch
03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Well, if we're to have a federal government, then part of it's job should be to ensure rule of law throughout the country. In a more anarchistic society, people would control that by choosing where to live, and those places that didn't uphold justice would become ghost towns or change to stay alive.

The danger comes in its trying to make amends for past wrongs and equalize outcomes, which runs counter to rule of law.

you can't change yesterday....only tomorrow