PDA

View Full Version : New members

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Anyone ever notice, we get like one or two new members a day, I see them in the "welcome to our newest member" thingy at the bottom of the page.

Most of them never post and if you notice, the user names follow a pattern. "jakethon4543" or "mindzombo22" or "nomrodal9812".

Who are these people?

Chris
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSbSKNk9f0

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Anyone ever notice, we get like one or two new members a day, I see them in the "welcome to our newest member" thingy at the bottom of the page.

Most of them never post and if you notice, the user names follow a pattern. "jakethon4543" or "mindzombo22" or "nomrodal9812".

Who are these people?
Bots?

Safety
03-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Who are these people?

Extra accounts for when the inevitable nerdfit gets them banned?

del
03-22-2015, 09:21 PM
bots

i used to broom them by the dozen over at usmb back in the day

usually, they were selling cell phones

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Bots?

I dunno, but for what purpose?

Spam?

Spiders troll all the shit we post and catalog it for our gubmint's pleasure but what would creating all these accounts be for?

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
bots

i used to broom them by the dozen over at usmb back in the day

usually, they were selling cell phones

Yeah, but we don't get spammed much.

So we get a dozen or more of these new accounts every week but rarely get any spam.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Extra accounts for when the inevitable nerdfit gets them banned?

ok - a couple are mine but that's beside the point.

:biglaugh:

del
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah, but we don't get spammed much.

So we get a dozen or more of these new accounts every week but rarely get any spam.

maybe they're apprentices?

more likely it's people who join and lurk

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:27 PM
maybe they're apprentices?

more likely it's people who join and lurk

Don't you find the stark similarities in the usernames odd? Pretty much every one of them follows that pattern. "weirdnameNNN"

del
03-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Don't you find the stark similarities in the usernames odd? Pretty much every one of them follows that pattern. "weirdnameNNN"

to tell you the truth, i never really noticed

Safety
03-22-2015, 09:29 PM
ok - a couple are mine but that's beside the point.

Someone made the comment that there was no member named "blarg" after the sticky thread Cthulhu created. Sure enough there was a message that said "welcome our newest member "Blarg".

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 09:31 PM
That's why I think they are bots. Computer generated usernames.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Someone made the comment that there was no member named "blarg" after the sticky thread @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) created. Sure enough there was a message that said "welcome our newest member "Blarg".

Yeah, that was me - I made that comment.

I remember seeing that new user name right after that and thought "yeah, I know..."

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
to tell you the truth, i never really noticed

I never paid attention to this shit but then I noticed that pattern some time ago, now I'm like an old man looking for the new user name thinking "there it is again... damn!"

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:37 PM
That's why I think they are bots. Computer generated usernames.

So some nimrod is sitting in a basement somewhere running a program that goes around to message boards and activates these random usernames, like millions of them.

...for what? The cyber-rapture?

del
03-22-2015, 09:38 PM
I never paid attention to this shit but then I noticed that pattern some time ago, now I'm like an old man looking for the new user name thinking "there it is again... damn!"

get off my lawn

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:39 PM
get off my lawn

lol! My kid says that all the time. We get Canadian geese, like hundreds of them in the campground, there's this old guy that chases them around with a newspaper.

We'll just stand there and watch him and my kid just says "get off my lawn".

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 09:46 PM
So some nimrod is sitting in a basement somewhere running a program that goes around to message boards and activates these random usernames, like millions of them.

...for what? The cyber-rapture?
Who knows - probably for spam. We do get spammers all the time, but we have software that catches most of it.

Adelaide
03-22-2015, 09:46 PM
lol! My kid says that all the time. We get Canadian geese, like hundreds of them in the campground, there's this old guy that chases them around with a newspaper.

We'll just stand there and watch him and my kid just says "get off my lawn".

Canadian geese are vicious little fuckers. They'll take your finger if you get any idea of trying to pet them. I've been chased a time or two (in childhood). Only things worse are peacocks and swans.

I'm not a fan of birds. I seem to have an attack story for several varieties.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2015, 09:47 PM
See... there it is again.

"usmanajimal44"

What the fuck...

William
03-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Why would someone join if they only want to lurk? I lurked on some other boards before I joined here, but you don't have to join if you want to lurk.

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Canadian geese are vicious little fuckers. They'll take your finger if you get any idea of trying to pet them. I've been chased a time or two (in childhood). Only things worse are peacocks and swans.

I once had a Canada Goose try to liberate a hot dog from my hands. I won.

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 09:53 PM

"usmanajimal44"

What the fuck...
Definitely a bot.

Dragonborn Herald
03-22-2015, 09:55 PM
New members?

Let me look down for little bit.

nope, I don't see any new members down there.

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Bots?

Or spammers. I get them on my forum too. Run an IP check and if they're from Rumania or something I don't approve the acct.

I know someone who lost interest in his forum and let anyone join and post. It turned out hilarious. Apparently the Chinese have a lot of time on their hands.

I'll try to remember the forum name....

Dragonborn Herald
03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Why would someone join if they only want to lurk? I lurked on some other boards before I joined here, but you don't have to join if you want to lurk.

Some people don't like the trolls on this forum who don't want a real discussion but just want to trash and bash you for the linguini olive oil luminary.

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Hah! I found it!

http://somacow.net/forum

Don
03-22-2015, 10:14 PM

Sometimes people join to see if there is more to the board than guests can see. Some of these people with strange handles with numbers in them are people who want to hawk products. Spammers. They join forums then sometime later they will log in late at night and spam the forum with ads. I think admins and mods usually delete most of it before many of us see it.

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Hah! I found it!

http://somacow.net/forum
It's all Chinese.

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:16 PM

"usmanajimal44"

What the $#@!...
That's an Arab name reversed.

Ajmal Usman

hmmm....ISIS?

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Actually a Google check shows the name Ajimal Usman to be Indian.

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:20 PM
It's all Chinese.

Didn't use to be!

ADMIN
03-22-2015, 10:25 PM
It has been an issue for a few weeks now. There must be a new vulnerability in our software. It happens from time to time.

Each time I log in, I review and delete the questionable accounts. I usually get to them at least once a day. The moderators are helpful with this as well. I'm sure if we didn't, they would begin posting the usual spam, and there would be no question of their motives for joining.

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:31 PM
It's all Chinese.
I guess it's Japanese. I sent this phrase through Google translator:

お墓の値段は自分好みのデザインで決まる物になっている

And it translated to:

"Price of grave has become a thing which is determined by your favorite design"

So I guess it's not just spam but creepy spam

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
I guess it's Japanese. I sent this phrase through Google translator:

お墓の値段は自分好みのデザインで決まる物になっている

And it translated to:

"Price of grave has become a thing which is determined by your favorite design"

So I guess it's not just spam but creepy spam
The site has been taken over by a Japanese funeral home?

Howey
03-22-2015, 10:35 PM
The site has been taken over by a Japanese funeral home?

I don't know! I just went to Way back and pulled up a page from the forum from soon after the spammers took over:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120131145915/http://somacow.net/forum/

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 10:39 PM
I don't know! I just went to Way back and pulled up a page from the forum from soon after the spammers took over:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120131145915/http://somacow.net/forum/
Perhaps the forum owner sold it to a Japanese funeral home.

Don
03-22-2015, 10:40 PM
It probably wouldn't work on a forum this size but on a another board I have instead of banning them I put them in their own special group. I named the group Spammer POS. Everyone could see who they were and the group privileges were none. They couldn't post, they couldn't see the forums, nothing.:shocked:

Green Arrow
03-22-2015, 11:06 PM

That's like me and spiders. There were two daddy long-legs that I discovered in the corner of my shower, one of them was huge, the other was little. They both out of nowhere just darted toward me.

I was there when the strength of men failed...

Ravens Fan
03-22-2015, 11:10 PM
Someone made the comment that there was no member named "blarg" after the sticky thread @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) created. Sure enough there was a message that said "welcome our newest member "Blarg".

I keep waiting for that member to answer in the "blarg" thread and be like "What the hell do you all want?". Lol

silvereyes
03-22-2015, 11:12 PM
New members?

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Lol. Fucking weirdo. Yes, i caught it.

PolWatch
03-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I don't know if I want the blarg-ster to wake up!

Green Arrow
03-22-2015, 11:16 PM
I don't know if I want the blarg-ster to wake up!

His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted.

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 11:18 PM
That's like me and spiders. There were two daddy long-legs that I discovered in the corner of my shower, one of them was huge, the other was little. They both out of nowhere just darted toward me.

I was there when the strength of men failed...
Dammit GA, daddy long legs are not spiders. They are the most fragile of insects. They only have six legs, not eight. If they were daddy long legs they just darted. They were frightened. They couldn't attack you even if they wanted to.

Green Arrow
03-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Dammit GA, daddy long legs are not spiders. They are the most fragile of insects. They only have six legs, not eight. If they were daddy long legs they just darted. They were frightened. They couldn't attack you even if they wanted to.

They darted toward me, though. And this was after I splashed water on the little one to try and wash it down the drain. It escaped and skittered over to the big one, like they were talking. Plotting. And then they came for me.

Dr. Who
03-22-2015, 11:33 PM
They darted toward me, though. And this was after I splashed water on the little one to try and wash it down the drain. It escaped and skittered over to the big one, like they were talking. Plotting. And then they came for me.
You have an active imagination. Daddy long legs only eat dead things, or bits of bread or animal fat. They don't even try to kill other insects. They do need a lot of water, so they tend to hang around in moist areas, hence your shower. If they were discussing anything, it was how to get away from you.

PolWatch
03-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Its a vast, six-legged conspiracy...first your shower, then your closet...tomorrow....the world!

Green Arrow
03-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Its a vast, six-legged conspiracy...first your shower, then your closet...tomorrow....the world!

It's like the war I fought with the camel crickets in my garage last fall...a war I won.

Hal Jordan
03-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Maybe someone sent them for you...

Ravens Fan
03-22-2015, 11:41 PM
It's like the war I fought with the camel crickets in my garage last fall...a war I won.

I hate them things. They jump for your face.

Howey
03-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Sissy. Even I'm not scared of daddy longlegs.

Green Arrow
03-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Maybe someone sent them for you...

You bastard!

sachem
03-23-2015, 12:13 AM
New members?

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.:facepalm:

Hal Jordan
03-23-2015, 12:25 AM
You bastard!

Did I say it was me?

*locks door labeled Insect Training Center*

Green Arrow
03-23-2015, 12:34 AM
For the record, the two skittering demons I mentioned in my shower were spiders. They both had eight legs and the larger of the two is presently still sitting on its web in the corner above my toilet.

Hal Jordan
03-23-2015, 12:43 AM
For the record, the two skittering demons I mentioned in my shower were spiders. They both had eight legs and the larger of the two is presently still sitting on its web in the corner above my toilet.

Well, that's interesting...

*locks door labeled Spider Training Center*

Cthulhu
03-23-2015, 01:23 AM
Someone made the comment that there was no member named "blarg" after the sticky thread Cthulhu created. Sure enough there was a message that said "welcome our newest member "Blarg".

Yeah, that was me - I made that comment.

I remember seeing that new user name right after that and thought "yeah, I know..."

It was Mac-7. Totally him.

Sent from my evil kitten eating cell phone.

Captain Obvious
03-23-2015, 07:38 AM
It has been an issue for a few weeks now. There must be a new vulnerability in our software. It happens from time to time.

Each time I log in, I review and delete the questionable accounts. I usually get to them at least once a day. The moderators are helpful with this as well. I'm sure if we didn't, they would begin posting the usual spam, and there would be no question of their motives for joining.

I just feel this strong sense of... insecurity that they don't want to talk to me.

William
03-23-2015, 08:20 AM
They darted toward me, though. And this was after I splashed water on the little one to try and wash it down the drain. It escaped and skittered over to the big one, like they were talking.Plotting.

Don't be such a big girl's blouse - did I ever tell you about the spiders we have here in Oz?

Sydney funnel-web spider

https://youtu.be/l4RWS6mkpB8

Sweet dreams my precious - heh heh heh (crazy wicked laugh)!:laugh:

Peter1469
03-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Cool looking spider.

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 04:46 PM
I hate them things. They jump for your face.
I've never seen one. Only ones around here are common field crickets.

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Then they are not "daddy long legs", they are something else. What color are they and are the front legs longer than the back legs?

PolWatch
03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
When I lived in El Paso I learned not to leave a porch light on at night. The tarantulas would gather under the light for the heat. Most of them are not dangerous....except they nearly scared me to death!

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Don't be such a big girl's blouse - did I ever tell you about the spiders we have here in Oz?10980Sydney funnel-web spider
https://youtu.be/l4RWS6mkpB8Sweet dreams my precious - heh heh heh (crazy wicked laugh)!:laugh:So @Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868), I guess Oz is off your list of travel destinations. LOL

Ravens Fan
03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I've never seen one. Only ones around here are common field crickets.

You're not missing much. They invaded around here about 15 years ago, and just love to sit all quiet until you walk by. Then they attack. They don't bite or anything, just scare the hell out of ya.

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
You're not missing much. They invaded around here about 15 years ago, and just love to sit all quiet until you walk by. Then they attack. They don't bite or anything, just scare the hell out of ya.
That's what the grey grasshoppers do here. They hang out on gravel roads and they look like gravel, until they suddenly fly up as you get close and startle you, especially if there are a bunch of them.

Green Arrow
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
So @Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868), I guess Oz is off your list of travel destinations. LOL

My first order of business as President will be to order the human evacuation of Oz and nuke it...

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
My first order of business as President will be to order the human evacuation of Oz and nuke it...
What about all the poor kangaroos and wallabies!

del
03-23-2015, 07:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FbAsFX8sA

Green Arrow
03-23-2015, 09:33 PM

You libs and your bleeding heart libness! :tongue:

Alright, I guess we'll get the kangaroos, wallabies, and koalas out too.

PolWatch
03-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Save William or I ain't voting for ya!

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 09:41 PM

You forgot the duck billed platypus and a whole bunch of other marsupials and birds. I think you need to spare Australia. Spiders can't swim.

William
03-23-2015, 09:47 PM
You forgot the duck billed platypus and a whole bunch of other marsupials and birds. I think you need to spare Australia. Spiders can't swim.

Yeh, and don't forget these little guys. We have one that lives in our back garden. :smiley:

http://www.animalfactguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/echidna2.jpg

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Yeh, and don't forget these little guys. We have one that lives in our back garden. :smiley:

http://www.animalfactguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/echidna2.jpg
What a cute little echidna. I guess he or she keeps the ants out of the house. Interesting little critter - they lay eggs.

Green Arrow
03-23-2015, 10:04 PM

I suppose simply quarantining the country would suffice.

Dr. Who
03-23-2015, 10:06 PM
I suppose simply quarantining the country would suffice.
That'll work.

Captain Obvious
03-24-2015, 09:17 PM
vladimirdjukanovic79 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/members/1588-vladimirdjukanovic79)

http://www.ideachampions.com/weblogs/homer-simpson-pop-art.jpg

Shadow
03-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Who are these people?

I noticed these type userid's on the board we met on. I just figured they were fake members created by the Admin to make it look like he actually had posters :)

Captain Obvious
03-24-2015, 09:28 PM
I noticed these type userid's on the board we met on. I just figured they were fake members created by the Admin to make it look like he actually had posters :)

ADMIN
04-19-2015, 03:30 PM
It turns out it wasn't a problem with VBulletin at all. These bots were using a security hole in Tapatalk to bypass our normal registration pages. Hopefully, the fix that we've implemented will keep the new accounts at bay (at least until the next exploit is discovered).

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/block-tapatalk-registrations.20426/

Captain Obvious
04-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Bastards!