PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry Disavows His Own Book From Nine Months Ago

Pendragon
08-22-2011, 05:48 PM
from http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/08/22/300479/rick-perry-disavows-fed-up/

Last November, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) published Fed Up, a 240-page ode to tentherism, which argues that everything from child labor laws to the Clean Air Act to Medicare violates the Constitution. As it turns out, however, claiming that America’s entire social safety net is unconstitutional isn’t a very popular position — so Perry’s now trying to take it all back just one week into his presidential campaign.

[Perry's] communications director, Ray Sullivan, said Thursday that he had “never heard” the governor suggest [Social Security] was unconstitutional. Not only that, Mr. Sullivan said, but “Fed Up!” is not meant to reflect the governor’s current views on how to fix the program. [...]

In an interview, Mr. Sullivan acknowledged that many passages in Mr. Perry’s “Fed Up!” could dog his presidential campaign. The book, Mr. Sullivan said, “is a look back, not a path forward.” It was written “as a review and critique of 50 years of federal excesses, not in any way as a 2012 campaign blueprint or manifesto,” Mr. Sullivan said.

This guy must really think we're idiots. Hell no we aren't going to vote for him! This guy blasts the Federal Government and now he wants to lead it.

Mister D
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
So anyone who criticizes the federal government in terms of its size and scope is not fit to lead it? That's ridiculous.

Mister D
08-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Pen, if there is something my profile doesn't cover you can ask me directly. :)

Conley
08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Pen, if there is something my profile doesn't cover you can ask me directly. :)

:D :D :D

I saw that too! Just about spit coffee all over my keyboard!

He's been studying it a while, eh? I guess you have a new admirer. ;D

Conley
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I wonder if there are quotes from the book that will be effective against him. I don't know much about it and haven't read it. The only thing heard of was one quote, something along the lines of the federal government has no role to play in the education of a child. Seems like that is and should be a state's issue, at least in my mind.

Pendragon
08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
So anyone who criticizes the federal government in terms of its size and scope is not fit to lead it? That's ridiculous.

Of course not. If you actually read the article and saw the excerpts of the book you'd know this goes far beyond that. Perry basically wants to do away with all government programs not outlined in the Constitution. It's the same lunacy that got Ron Paul in trouble. See how the Dems will hammer him for saying Social Security should be completely eliminated. That's going to hurt him with the seniors.

Conley
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Why would a politician say that if he had any hopes of ever getting elected again? To do so would be political suicide...I think you are underestimating him and misstating whatever was written. Can you provide an exact quote?

Mister D
08-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Of course not. If you actually read the article and saw the excerpts of the book you'd know this goes far beyond that. Perry basically wants to do away with all government programs not outlined in the Constitution. It's the same lunacy that got Ron Paul in trouble. See how the Dems will hammer him for saying Social Security should be completely eliminated. That's going to hurt him with the seniors.

Thinkprogress articles aren't exactly my cup of tea. Sorry. In any case, we are discussing your own comments which you can't help but post at the end of your cited opinion pieces. It's the same lunacy that got you in trouble before. Now you say that he goes far beyond criticizing the size and scope of the federal government and then offer example of Perry doing precisely that when he criticizes SS which, BTW, is unsustainable. Mind you, I have no doubt that the Democrats will lie and scare old people like they always do. That's to be expected. On the other hand, that will not change the fact that SS is unsustainable. If nothing else, Perry is rightly preparing Americans for what is inevitable.

I'm 35, Pen. I've written my SS deduction off because I will never see a dime of that money.

Pendragon
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
There's no reason Social Security can't continue indefinitely. All that is needed is to reduce the payout amount. If you're thirty-five then there is a chance you will see some of that money come back to you. It is easy to just assume social security won't work and should be scrapped, but it has worked very well for decades, up until this recent rash of Republican spending.

BTW, I encourage you to read ThinkProgress to learn more about our current government workings. You will find it educational and enlightening.

Mister D
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
There's no reason Social Security can't continue indefinitely. All that is needed is to reduce the payout amount. If you're thirty-five then there is a chance you will see some of that money come back to you. It is easy to just assume social security won't work and should be scrapped, but it has worked very well for decades, up until this recent rash of Republican spending.

BTW, I encourage you to read ThinkProgress to learn more about our current government workings. You will find it educational and enlightening.

I'll look toward my own retirement but thanks. Anyway, are you seriously suggesting that SS is unsustainable only because of the GOP's spending habits?

Thinkprogress is a laughably biased website. I'd encourage you to look elsewhere unless having your preconceived notions confirmed is the goal. If so, carry on.

Pendragon
08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
How can you judge a website if you never visit it? Read some articles and then decide.

Furthermore Social Security was well taken care of under Clinton. It was during the Bush presidency that things turned sour.

Imagine the disaster that would have ensued if he had been permitted to follow through with his plans for privatization.

Obama is slowly undoing all the damage he caused. Like all Americans I wish the recovery was happening more quickly but I know he is doing the best he can in an untenable situation.

MMC
08-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Ridiculous that one thinks SS can be sustained as it is.....even if you reduce the amounts with populations growth it would never be able to sustain the numbers.

Yeah Obama is doing all he can by bombing in Somalia, Yemen, and Pakistan. Libya too. All that Military Spending and yet then complains about how more of the DOD needs to be cut. Yes he is doing all he can to spend money. Refusing to give up waste. ::)

wingrider
08-25-2011, 01:00 AM
look people

I am 62 and just signed up for SS.. I will be getting about 1200 a month after paying into the system ( by Force) for nearly 50 years. yes I started working and paying in at 13 years old. now all you fools on the left are saying I should not collect what I paid for?? rediculous.

if Congress had of left SS alone back in the 60s there would be no problem that account would have over 2 trillion dollars in it.. if a private company had done what congress had done with that account the CEOS and everyone involved would have gone to jail for embezzement and illegal transfer of funds,

it is like you go to the bank and finance a fucking car make all the payments on it and finally get it paid for only to have the bank repossess the car after its paid for.