PDA

View Full Version : italian peasant dish

Common
03-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind it was peasant food when they picked their own mushrooms and made their own raviolis and grew their own Broccoli raab.

I made portabella mozzarella raviolis and put sauteed broccoli raab chopped all over the top.

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 09:21 AM
What's raab - I keep seeing this term, is this a new flavor-of-the-day thing?

Common
03-30-2015, 09:22 AM

No its the italian name for Rapini

Common Sense
03-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Rapini...

Captain Obvious
There's a cooking show on NPR on the weekends, The Splendid Table. Really decent radio show, catch it if you get a chance.

She did a segment on pasta, pointed out that we (Americans) eat like 5 times the portion of pasta they eat, they eat it as a side dish to stuff you mentioned, fish, chicken, eggs an'at.

Captain Obvious
Rapini...

ok...

What's rapini?

:biglaugh:

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Why can't you just say the leaves?

Geez...

Common Sense
03-30-2015, 09:25 AM
ok...

What's rapini?

It's kind of like broccoli...but more stock and less florets.

Common
03-30-2015, 09:26 AM
They also use far far less sauce than americans do. They like to taste the semolina, americans want to taste sauce.

A meal in italy in a home would be a pasta with spinach or beans or sauteed broccoli and other stuff and a piece of chicken or baked fish with a side salad

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Oh, the stems.

Just buy the cheap, store-brand frozen stuff, you'll get tons of stems.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:25 AM

A lot more bitter too.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Oh, the stems.

Just buy the cheap, store-brand frozen stuff, you'll get tons of stems.

The stems are quite good for you.

Peter1469
03-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Was there supposed to be a link?

Keep in mind it was peasant food when they picked their own mushrooms and made their own raviolis and grew their own Broccoli raab.

I made portabella mozzarella raviolis and put sauteed broccoli raab chopped all over the top.

Common
03-30-2015, 10:31 AM
ok...

What's rapini?

Its a green that has some small heads that look like broccoli comes in a bunch with leaves and thin stems. You eat the leaves and the small broccoli heads

Common
03-30-2015, 10:32 AM
A lot more bitter too.

If you cook it right its not bitter at all. Its only bitter especially if you under cook it, you cant eat broccoli raab a dente it has to be cooked much softer.

Common
03-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Was there supposed to be a link?

No pete, it was just about what I made for dinner

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 10:34 AM
The stems are quite good for you.

I know, but they're an "undesirable" from a produce quality perception standpoint.

You can make cole slaw out of the stems also, same as cabbage.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I know, but they're an "undesirable" from a produce quality perception standpoint.

You can make cole slaw out of the stems also, same as cabbage.

I buy that prepackaged. It's cheap. I don't make the slaw though. I just drizzle oil on it and add a little salt.

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
I buy that prepackaged. It's cheap. I don't make the slaw though. I just drizzle oil on it and add a little salt.

When I make slaw (cabbage) I shave onions in it and basically just use vinegar, salt and olive oil, and pepper of course.

Sometimes I add a little mayo just to make it look like slaw but not all the time.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
When I make slaw (cabbage) I shave onions in it and basically just use vinegar, salt and olive oil, and pepper of course.

Sometimes I add a little mayo just to make it look like slaw but not all the time.

Your version is a much healthier one

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Your version is a much healthier one

Most slaws are gross, sweet - I guess they use miracle whip, blech. I like slaw vinegary.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Most slaws are gross, sweet - I guess they use miracle whip, blech. I like slaw vinegary.

I'm going to try potato salad that way too.

Common
03-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Use redskin patatoes and red onion, then add the rest to taste as far as dressing

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 10:56 AM

German potato salad is made that way, have you ever tried that?

It's really good if made right.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
German potato salad is made that way, have you ever tried that?

It's really good if made right.

Not sure if I've ever made any kind of potato salad at home before. I'll look up some recipes.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Use redskin patatoes and red onion, then add the rest to taste as far as dressing

Red onion or maybe scallions.

Peter1469
03-30-2015, 10:58 AM
I had to look up Italian Peasant Food. It looks like a catagory. (http://www.yummly.com/recipes/italian-peasant) I am going to have to try the Tuscany meatloaf.

Common
03-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Red onion or maybe scallions.

Scallions dont have enough kick for me in a patato salad or slaw, they are too mild to compete with the other flavors. Thats my opinion anyway.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Scallions dont have enough kick for me in a patato salad or slaw, they are too mild to compete with the other flavors. Thats my opinion anyway.

They should be able to hold up in a potato dish.

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
I had to look up Italian Peasant Food. It looks like a catagory. (http://www.yummly.com/recipes/italian-peasant) I am going to have to try the Tuscany meatloaf.

I remember Geoff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) talk about that a long time ago, most traditional "Italian" food isn't the stuff you see popularized in the west.

Loved that guy's show, he was one of the first TV chefs.... until they found him doing funny things with young boys then he mysteriously vanished.

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
They should be able to hold up in a potato dish.

I would use scallions in a potato salad, onions - strong ones overpower. I like the taste of potatoes.

Peter1469
03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I remember Geoff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) talk about that a long time ago, most traditional "Italian" food isn't the stuff you see popularized in the west.

Loved that guy's show, he was one of the first TV chefs.... until they found him doing funny things with young boys then he mysteriously vanished.

I have not seen that show.

I have been to Italy, and know that the local food is not what is marketed to us here. Especially in portion sizes.

Mister D
03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I would use scallions in a potato salad, onions - strong ones overpower. I like the taste of potatoes.

It's pretty light and neutral flavor too. That's why I think scallions will hold up just fine.

Captain Obvious
03-30-2015, 11:16 AM
I have not seen that show.

I have been to Italy, and know that the local food is not what is marketed to us here. Especially in portion sizes.

I have a couple of his books, a lot of the fundamental cooking we do was inspired by this guy.

Stuff like basic beef stock (from bones), chicken stock, making home-made dressings, sausage gravy, etc.

Common
03-30-2015, 06:07 PM

if the onion is overpowering the patato you are using too much onion, use enough onion to enhance the taste of the patoto, scallions the mayo would overpower

Common
03-30-2015, 06:09 PM

I liked his show and hes right most Home cooking in italy doesnt resemble anything here except for pasta

Dr. Who
03-30-2015, 06:12 PM
No its the italian name for Rapini
Isn't rapini the Italian name for broccoli raab??

Dr. Who
03-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Actually the sweeter slaws that are not creamy use sweet onions to sweeten them. However a sweet creamy slaw has it's place. It's great with super spicy food where you need the sweet to offset the heat.

Dr. Who
03-30-2015, 06:18 PM
It's pretty light and neutral flavor too. That's why I think scallions will hold up just fine.
Large quantities of chives are pretty good as well.

Common
03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Isn't rapini the Italian name for broccoli raab??

Yes but all the italians I know call it broccoli raab

Common
03-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Good friend of mine of polish descent <rip> had broccoli raab over my house many years ago and loved it.
So he used to do the same thing with pieroggies, put the rapini over them same as ravioli.
I said why dont you use raviolis, he said I have to keep my identity lol

PolWatch
03-30-2015, 08:13 PM
If you can find Vidalia onions...try them. They are a sweet onion without a strong bite.

Dr. Who
03-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Good friend of mine of polish descent <rip> had broccoli raab over my house many years ago and loved it.
So he used to do the same thing with pieroggies, put the rapini over them same as ravioli.
I said why dont you use raviolis, he said I have to keep my identity lol
The only difference is the shape. You can put anything in a pierogi and anything in a ravioli. I think the pierogi are a little easier to make because you make circles and seal one side - FYI I'm of Polish descent.

Common
03-30-2015, 08:20 PM
If you can find Vidalia onions...try them. They are a sweet onion without a strong bite.

Ive been eating vidalia onions for years, they have to short a life, they are fantastic.
I do love italian red onions though, they are strong raw and get sweet cooked

Common
03-30-2015, 08:23 PM
The only difference is the shape. You can put anything in a pierogi and anything in a ravioli. I think the pierogi are a little easier to make because you make circles and seal one side - FYI I'm of Polish descent.

My wifes brothers wife passed away young, he remarried and his second his wife was polish and she could make ANYTHING, she made her own kiebasi and blintzs, she made all kinds of pierogis stuffed with everything, they are very similar and I like them both.

Common
03-30-2015, 08:23 PM

Arent they from georgia pol

PolWatch
03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
To have the label Vidalia, they have to be grown in Vidalia, GA...they have a copyright. You can buy a Texas Sweet which is similar but not as good.

A Vidalia onion is a sweet onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_onion) of certain varieties, grown in a production area defined by Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)) law and by the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) Code of Federal Regulations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Federal_Regulations) wiki

Common
03-30-2015, 08:38 PM
To have the label Vidalia, they have to be grown in Vidalia, GA...they have a copyright. You can buy a Texas Sweet which is similar but not as good.

A Vidalia onion is a sweet onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_onion) of certain varieties, grown in a production area defined by Georgia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)) law and by the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) Code of Federal Regulations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Federal_Regulations) wiki

When all else is unavailable they have Peruvian Sweets, they look very similar to a vidalia and they are acceptable when nothing else here is in season but hothouse yellows