PDA

View Full Version : Babies in prison

Bob
03-31-2015, 12:52 PM
I did not know inmate women can have a baby in prison then raise the child in prison. To some this is wonderful. Others might see it as poor prison management.

A con for instance could be, danger to the baby. Suppose a female gets angry at the mother and takes it out on the baby.

What in general does the forum believe is best?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/my-son-had-his-first-birthday-party-in-prison-114792626722.html

Crepitus
03-31-2015, 01:05 PM
First I've heard of it as well, doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

sachem
03-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Being with Mom is a plus.

Common Sense
03-31-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.theluxuryspot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/9fd3327382eca4995329cadebd979e3d1.jpg

GrassrootsConservative
03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Only a small step above them being dead, really. But at least Liberals can't kill them in prison. They are comparatively safe.

Peter1469
03-31-2015, 05:11 PM
I think it is a bad idea....

Cthulhu
03-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Effectively a single mother with literally nothing but criminals for neighbors?

I can't honestly believe we're even debating this.

The answer is no.

/thread.

Sent from my evil, kitten eating cell phone.

Bob
03-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for talking though it was not the vote I hoped to get.

This is open for 15 days should any wish to vote.

My opinion is forming. I see pro and cons.

Common
03-31-2015, 09:15 PM
This has been going on in some states for quite awhile, its supervised but its not for entire time the mother is incarcerated its only for a period of time after the baby is born. Unless thats changed

Bob
03-31-2015, 09:20 PM
This has been going on in some states for quite awhile, its supervised but its not for entire time the mother is incarcerated its only for a period of time after the baby is born. Unless thats changed

In this case, the baby goes home with the mom when she is released.

iustitia
03-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Abolish prisons and mom can always be with the kid.

Dr. Who
03-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Nursing mothers should not be in general population. Keeping the infant with his or her mother until the child has received the benefit of nursing, is appropriate. Beyond that, a normal environment for child rearing is far more appropriate than a prison atmosphere.

CreepyOldDude
04-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Only a small step above them being dead, really. But at least Liberals can't kill them in prison. They are comparatively safe.

Yes, they must be protected from roving bands of liberals, going around killing children.

GrassrootsConservative
04-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Yes, they must be protected from roving bands of liberals, going around killing children.

Babies, actually. Pay attention.

CreepyOldDude
04-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I did not know inmate women can have a baby in prison then raise the child in prison. To some this is wonderful. Others might see it as poor prison management.

A con for instance could be, danger to the baby. Suppose a female gets angry at the mother and takes it out on the baby.

What in general does the forum believe is best?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/my-son-had-his-first-birthday-party-in-prison-114792626722.html

I've got to go with bad idea. After all, it keeps us from killing the babies.

CreepyOldDude
04-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Babies, actually. Pay attention.

You obviously haven't seen the memo from the Liberals In Favor Of Killing Babies committee. We're also going after toddlers, now. They provide more sport.

Adelaide
04-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I think it's an extremely complicated practice that can't be put definitively in either the 'good' or 'bad' camp. There are serious advantages for children who are breast fed by their mothers, for instance. There is also the consideration of what the mother is in prison for, and what sort of prison (high versus low security, for example). It's too complicated to pick from the options.

Peter1469
04-05-2015, 09:26 AM
It is probably a good idea for minimum security prisons. But not for the real hard places.

But we really need to rethink our policy of locking so many people up.

CreepyOldDude
04-06-2015, 11:56 AM
It is probably a good idea for minimum security prisons. But not for the real hard places.

But we really need to rethink our policy of locking so many people up.

Too true.

In 2013, there were 6,899,000 people under adult correctional system supervision. (Link (http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5177)) Now, how many of those are people on parole, isn't clear. The estimates I've seen of those actually in prison in this country are around 2.3 million.

Personally, I blame minimum sentencing laws that have been passed for just about everything. Passed by politicians who wanted a cheap (for them) way to look tough on crime.

Bob
04-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I think it is a bad idea....

So many of the women in prison have got there by bad decisions, not caring about others, one wonders if this could be her chance of making a turn-around.

Cigar
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
The Real Questions is who is Screwing them?

Bob
04-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Too true.

In 2013, there were 6,899,000 people under adult correctional system supervision. (Link (http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5177)) Now, how many of those are people on parole, isn't clear. The estimates I've seen of those actually in prison in this country are around 2.3 million.

Personally, I blame minimum sentencing laws that have been passed for just about everything. Passed by politicians who wanted a cheap (for them) way to look tough on crime.

Personal stories can make a point so long as the story is not a cure all story.

My brother spent time in jails. At times for not showing up in court due to tickets he got driving trucks carrying freight. His time spent in jail over the children were his worst in my view. I wasn't there so I am not clear what he did to the children, could be just neglect, but the justice system decided he belonged in jail.

He is dead and the last time I e mailed his son, the guy is a jerk. He reminds me of his dad. I cut him off since I do not enjoy his sort of people.

CreepyOldDude
04-08-2015, 12:54 PM
It just struck me, does this poll have anything to do with Veterans? :)